Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I like picking up on the little callbacks to previous Xeno games.

I'm not sure that Mechonis Field was intentionally supposed to recall the Tower of Babel, but it does. At least, I get the same vibe.

I'm glad they managed to cut out the aggravating platforming in lieu of just a few precarious ledges, though...and an optional bit of coasting down a long incline which goes hilariously wrong if you make the mistake of jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

PFlats posted:

I just got to the 5th town (according to the affinity chart) and I was wondering: is it ever explained how your team can fast-travel in and out of it? (I have gotten to the part where Dickson pops in to visit the village's head honcho, but that wasn't exactly instructive.) I thought I was going to be cut off from the world map for a while, but nope! Let's just fly back to colony 9.

I understand why its done for gameplay reasons, obviously, but it just surprised me.

Well, one, you can apparently drop into water from any drat height, which means you could pretty much swan-dive clear off Alcamoth or something and still be fine. There's your explanation for how that guy got there!

Two, if you put it in perspective, that locale isn't actually too distant from Colony 9, being located on the foot of the Bionis. Guess you could just take a boat. Or swim. :v:

v Nopon secret travel technique. They have a monopoly on commerce on Bionis for a reason.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I got distracted after unshackling the monado, can someone explain a plot point to me: why is her brother the emperor now I thought Melia got blessed for it? The emperor's dying breath was "hey be the empress thanks" and the half-brother didn't even seem like he cared one way or the other so why am I at his beck and call in this next cutscene?

As I see it, and from what was explained:

The cover story is that this is a diplomatic mission. You could even say it's entirely factual, if you go back to do a bunch of sidequests everywhere. :v:

Two, she's a proven fighter, having singlehandedly taken down a Telethia that wiped out her entourage (and if she had help, it was from people who happen to possess the freakin' Monado). The Mechon problem requires someone capable to handle it, and she's the best person they've got for the job.

Having their Empress depart as soon as she's crowned has its risks, but since keeping her body-double around is simple enough as far as Alcamoth is concerned, and Kalian's capable enough to serve as regent, sending her off, despite the risks, is the best option they've got to ensure that this gets handled as well as it should.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Also, goddamn fiora's tits are ridiculous. I really feel uncomfortable every time she's in a cutscene. She's the youngest female and has the most out of proportion breasts, and also this outfit isn't helping. And also she is leaning exactly right to thrust them out at anyone's face when she pivots to talk to them. I spoilered this because maybe saying "seven's tits are insane" or w/e wouldn't help. I don't know. This is wildly inappropriate why are they doing this is what I'm saying. There is literally no subtlety here. TITS.

Well, you don't have to use the light-type armor. :v: The look of it seems more like a reference to Xenosaga's KOS-MOS, who always showed about as much skin.
I think Vanea is far worse. The stylization of machina bodies makes it seem like they're not actually wearing clothes, so the choice of applying physics there makes it seem truly gratuitous.

In truth, you're right, there's no subtlety and the answer is skeevy art direction, but if you want to :spergin: it, you could say that being unnecessarily sexy in Xeno-world is just a normal thing. You've got Sharla and Melia with their cleavage, Dunban with one of his viable builds requiring that he be naked, Reyn's belly-shirt default costume. And Riki is a nudist. And Alvis stands really close when talking to people. And whatever the hell is going on with Lorithia. and and

On a completely unrelated, more comfortable note: Machina children are the most adorable things ever.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 21, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a decent image of the greek star chart-looking "doodles" from the game? Like the ones surrounding the health bar window shown in this image? I'd like something a bit sharper for a project I'm working on.

I went looking, as I could've sworn I've seen some clean shots of those somewhere, but no luck. Incidentally, though, I did stumble across this:

May this make up for it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

No, see, the High Entia Tomb was deliberately boring pallid corridors as a clever little nod back to Xenogears, where almost every single dungeon was like that. :suicide:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I finally sucked it up and powered through Sword Valley and Galahad Fortress, and holy gently caress everything is awesome again always.

-I was really pissed when Fiora was seemingly offed, then I transitioned to being blindsided by the fact that she was alive, and now I'm happier than a pig in poo poo that's she back and in our party, even if she's stuck looking like an unused P.N.-03 design. I'm going to have to try playing as her sometime, she seems like she'll be a beast once I can level her Arts, and her armor gimmick seems pretty interesting. Seriously, her character seemed really well-written in the beginning of the game and I'm glad they went ahead and brought her back.

It's a shame that practically everything about this character is a spoiler, as there's a lot that could otherwise be discussed (well, without excessive black bars, like in this post). Suffice to say, this is my own favorite character in the game, both from a gameplay and story standpoint, and honestly out of a group that does not lack for charm to begin with, is still especially likeable.

From a narrative standpoint, I think the biggest thing that stands out is how their situation helps deliver the story (more Seventh spoilers): Fiora acts on her conscience and genuinely wants to help. She suffers the consequences for this--and the story is strengthened this way; there's no plot armor keeping anyone safe, and the emotional impact is felt by Shulk and by the audience. The situation is given proper time to sink in and pan out, and the characters given opportunity to develop in the wake of the event. Thus, when she's reintroduced, it doesn't cheapen the earlier events--and as you'll soon find out as you proceed through Mechonis, brings up further intriguing questions on exactly what she's been brought back for.

As far as the character's attitude goes, the writing is particularly competent. (Heart-to-Heart-related spoiler, still for Seventh)It's implied, rather unambiguously, in a particular Heart-to-Heart on Fallen Arm, that her biggest disappointment about her new body, other than its occasional unsteadiness, is that she'll never be able to be intimate with Shulk. For something otherwise so 'anime', it's satisfying that they don't avoid the subject, and that they handle it maturely. The reaction from Shulk, "don't care, still my Fiora", is pure :3:. Why do other JRPGs struggle so hard to do romances right?

Also yes, you should definitely try having this character lead. Play around with the different sets of equipment, in particular the "drones", since it changes what their main Art does. (Keep an eye out for 'Sword Drones' in particular. :black101:)

quote:

My question now is whether to go hog wild on the plot some more or backtrack for questing. I haven't done any Colony 6 restoration beyond level 1 and I'm itching to see these extra skill trees, which means clearing out my ever-growing quest log. A mechanical question though concerning my location: how does the game rationalize being able to backtrack from Fallen Arm? Is there some kindly Defence Force soldier with a dropship somewhere that I've yet to run into? Is it simply videogame magic?

If you're as far as Fallen Arm, you can get Colony 6 up fairly high--not sure it can be maxed out just then, but most of the stuff you need to get from 3 to 4 drops in that area. It's worth pushing along, as the rewards are good, and seeing the place be rebuilt is satisfying in itself.

As to how they get to/from Fallen Arm to everywhere else: Recall is location, and recall the location of Colony 9, in relation to the two robo-gods. My guess is that they take a boat. :v:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 26, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Stroth posted:

I'm not much farther than you, but I've been doing all the sidequests I can find and I am really loving overleveled. I'm guessing quest XP doesn't scale down the way killing stuff XP seems too.

Questing is overwhelmingly more lucrative for XP than fighting, but you get more XP in straight fights based on what goes on in the fight. If everyone's tension is high, and you use chain attacks, you get many times the amount you would if you just beat on the enemy normally.

The overleveling starts to even out towards the latter half of the game, from around Sword Valley and beyond. I quested enough in each area to leave with around 3-4 affinity stars with the local populace, and everything was a cakewalk up to that point. If you want the early game to be a challenge, you almost have to avoid questing, or at least do none beyond the initial ones you can get when you enter a new area.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

HenryEx posted:

That character's very fabric of existence is woven from concentrated japanese nerd fanservice. The background, their nature, their look, the character, the speech... Throwing in meta-gamey nerd lingo one-liners is really just another drop in the bucket.
Of course that character can't really know what they're talking about (the glorious boy's club of games), so they add... that. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting.

I just always try to keep in mind to hate the intended audience and maybe the creators and not the character themselves.

That's an awfully cynical way of looking at it. I read it more as, "I am a super awesome badass robot warrior and...poo poo, guys, I can't keep a straight face."

Either way: gently caress intended audiences. You play they game, you take from it what you like. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

(Story spoilers.)

So I put the game down for a month or two right before the Mechonis Core, and now having finished that, it's pretty amazing how the plot can spiral right out of loving control in the most awesome way possible in so short a time.

I mean, sure, it all comes down to We're not only in a JRPG, but in a Tetsuya Takahashi JRPG, so of COURSE we're going to have to kill God to get this sorted out, but I really like how they just waited so many hours into the game to drop the big reveal through a shitstorm of such colossal proportions.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

wefeelgroove posted:

Can we talk about (level 60-ish area) the Central Factory really quick? Besides the fact that getting sniped at by monsters I couldn't reach was cheap as hell, it was so cool that I could turn around and look out at all of those giant moving pistons and engine parts going on for miles and miles. Apparently, Monolith decided that being able to see one end of a giant area from the other just wasn't impressive enough so they built in a huge panorama that's constantly in motion. What's even crazier is that this view is behind you the entire time so you never even have to look at it. I didn't know the Wii was even capable of the stuff Monolith did with this game.

The environment art in Xenoblade is actually just a lot of smoke and mirrors, and it's impressive with how Monolith's artists managed to use so little to give the impression of so much.

If you really scrutinize it, you'll see the shortcuts taken. The textures are very low-resolution, the environmental detail (like grass and such) has a rather short draw distance, and there is little in the way of sophisticated lighting effects. But, the textures have a ton of contrast to them, with considerable depth, the color palette is incredibly vibrant and eye-catching, and the far-off scenery, such as the view of Mechonis from Bionis, the waterfalls in Makna, and the moving machinery in the area you describe are colored to match up with the 'fog' effects used in games to emulate the way we perceive objects in the distance.

On a related note, there's a detail they included that I really like: Any time you see a flashback, it shows the same equipment you had on during the events in question.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Super Rad posted:

This brings up something I don't like about "visions" - they're not even accurate, sometimes the enemy will aggro somebody else without having used any special talents making the initial vision false. I understand it's a pretty difficult if not outright impossible notion to have the game factor in the DPS that would occur between the vision and the enemy talent, but then again what's the point of the vision if it's just a guess.

Then often if an enemy is alternating between focusing on the two highest aggroed characters it looks like you're "changing" the future over and over again when really the enemy just can't make up its mind.

I've noticed this. Visions can get kind of weird, and are not really consistent. Most of they time they do what they should, but occasionally they won't come up at all, won't break when stopped, or display actions that never even happen.

But you know, I'm okay with that. The occasional messiness of visions is right up there with the characters' various banter and the unintelligible screaming you get when fighting Metal Face and company. You have moments of panic, moments of clarity, and moments where everything can come together or just go horribly wrong. It's not actually complete mayhem, but it feels like it. It's very immersive!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Despite the lingering urge to continue building Colony 6 into a towering metropolis and do MORE quests even after I got the highest quests-completed achievement, after 140 hours, I had to finish this game. I had to beat Xenoblade.

Some parts of the ending (story spoilers) could have done with some explanation (okay so Zanza was a scientist named Klaus who pushed a button and the universe blew up so he and this lady turned into giant robots and wait what), but the general meaning of things, this being a Xeno game, more or less comes down to Gnosticism: Zanza is the Demiurge, Meyneth is Sophia, the Monado/Alvis is (obviously) Monad, the world of the Bionis and Mechonis are simulacra of the true reality, Shulk is a higher Aeon, of sorts, Fiora is a semi-messianic prophet of Sophia while Dickson and Lorithia are Archons, etc.

While this is all well and good, I think the biggest thing that's going to stick with me about this game is the characters. And this, truly, is the strength of the JRPG genre, seized here with refreshing competence. The sheer amount of effort that went into fleshing them out, developing them over the course of the story, and providing endless ways for you to just get to know them better is absolutely staggering, and it gives you a powerful sense of connection to them and their journey.

The massive amount of side-quests, incentives to improve Affinities, and the presence of a New Game+ seems almost deliberately designed to let you keep on rolling with them for as long as you like, until you've finally had your fill.

And when you're about done, you know what's a good feeling? Looking God straight in the eye and telling Him, in no uncertain terms, that it's Reyn Time.

riki sneaky

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Best death: bumped off the side of one of those grassy walkways near Colony 6 by one of those squirrel-things about ten levels under me.

I like how, when that kind of thing happens, it waits a few seconds before your lead character goes "AAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Always on guard of such things ever happening again, I passed Bionis' Interior with style and finesse. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Stroth posted:

You are occasionally going to wander into the wrong area and get your poo poo pushed in by something that has fifty levels on you. This is normal, don't worry about it. Just move on and make a note to eventually come back for revenge.

This will happen even if you don't wander into the wrong area.

But by all means, do feel free to swim around the various batteries in Colony 9 and, you know, check out the local wildlife. :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

GFBeach posted:

All in all I really enjoyed the game, though compared to other Xeno-works the characters just weren't that interesting.

The main thing that strikes me about much of the cast is that they're deliberate throwbacks to previous Xeno characters (mostly for 'gears), which may or may not have affected one's perception of them.

Shulk is a scientist/engineer like Shion with a bizarre backstory not unlike Fei's, Dunban is a clear iteration of Citan and Jin, Melia's role is similar to Bart's and looks almost like Marguerite with a palette-swap (which would probably make Kalian Sigurd), and the Seventh is an Elly/KOS-MOS hybrid. Reyn, Riki, and Sharla don't have any clear predecessors, unless you want to somehow count Chu-Chu for Riki, only by virtue of being a small animal-thing (and there the comparisons end, but too bad Riki couldn't grow giant-sized), and Reyn combines Ziggy's playstyle with Bart's personality (and if you ever play Xenogears again, you now must imagine all of Bart's lines in Reyn's voice).

As for villains/supporting cast, (endgame spoilers) Dickson is a bit of Grahf/Lacan/Khan Wong, Lorithia is Miang, Egil is Krelian, Metal Face has some traits of Ramsus, Meyneth is The Mother/original Anti-Type (see especially: her connection with Fiora), Zanza is almost literally Deus, just with dialogue, and Alvis is the Wave Existence + chaos.

And others. I could, of course, be just seeing these parallels only 'cause I was actively looking for them while I played. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm...not really seeing the parallels but okay. Lorithia is probably the biggest stretch of them all too :psyduck:

Point...come to think of it, Dickson incorporates more of Miang, seeing as how she at least tried not to seem overtly sinister in the beginning, whereas Lorithia gives off the "obviously evil" vibe the second she shows up.

Vil posted:

I think it's important to distinguish something that actually is a parallel or rehash of a character, to something original where you're trying to force them into an "everything must be a rehash" pattern.

And yeah, they're all more like general parallels than copy/paste jobs.

Well, except Alvis. If you played Xenosaga, there's no way you didn't go "'sup chaos" the second he appeared.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nathilus posted:

All xeno games are babbys first Gnosticism complete with demiurges.

But only Xenoblade gives us Red Pollen Orbs.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Secret locations, if you seek them out, are almost guaranteed level-ups. There's one inside the Ether Mines, a particular body of water after a long side-tunnel, and there's at least one I recall on Bionis' Leg -- head towards the Daksha Shrine (be sure to get killed by the huge horrifying bug at least once, it's a rite of passage) and drop down to the right, down a climbable wall and through a tunnel. Watch out for enormous birds that will also destroy you easily.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Concerning the soundtrack: Here's the whole thing, as a playlist, on a non-Youtube music streaming site. To the best of my knowledge all the artist credits are correct, and they've been arranged in (more or less) the order they play in-game.

Or, if you'd rather just skip to the good stuff, here's a half hour of Riki's theme.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Being overly paranoid about saves corrupting (even though it has never happened to me), my playthroughs consisted of the bottom slot being "cutscene" saves (where it prompts you to save while poo poo is going down), then a save for any time I stopped a play session, and then finally a slot for each save during a session.

I was doing an all-sidequest run. No way was I losing anything. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So for this apparent sequel, has there been anything more than that one trailer, showing the dude with the sword fighting dinosaurs, getting in robots, and what looks like Shulk's face?

Considering how nicely the story was wrapped up by the end, it's hard to imagine what kind of material is left for a sequel.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Starting over. Not happy with what I did before. At the moment I'm going through what I actually want to show in the LP and working out what has to be in video, what is screenshot, and what I can jabber on about when required. I just lost my oomph before because I wasn't putting out something I was happy with, and loosing oomph meant I was putting out even more videos and quality that I didn't like.

The extra time means there's alot more coverage of the game out there as well so I can more easily pick the quest lines and particular people to show off by reading about it, rather than having to play through hundreds of hours just to choose the content.

I have HUNDREDS of Dug avatars made and a special guest avatar too.

Might even scare cam my dog.

This is probably a good idea, actually, even if you were pleased with your first go at it. By now, way more people have played Xenoblade, so it's likely that this will invite a lot more discussion and thread input from those familiar.

Plus, if you've got all the mechanics and sub-systems down, it'll be great for people like me who played through barely knowing what I was doing with gem crafting, playing certain characters effectively, etc. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

I have not heard of this quest chain. Tell me more.

:lsd: pollen orbs :lsd:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I find myself getting totally lost just roaming around areas, which is fine, because I usually stumble on plenty of dudes to grind on and some even are for quests. I'm kind of just roaming around aimlessly like a dog outside but killing everything I see. I wish fights were a bit shorter as grinding seems pretty slow.

Is it worth grinding in old areas or will the exp gain be too little? Also what is up with these ridiculous level 90+ guys sitting around? Designed for end game of New Game + stuff?

Getting lost in new areas is one of the most fun parts of Xenoblade. However, that leads into your question about grinding: The best XP comes from quests. Now, you can just go hog wild in every new area you come to, because chances are you'll pick up the drops you need for quests as you go, but if you stop into the nearest town and round up as many quests as you can first, this'll give you some objectives to seek out as you wander around. While you're out collecting items (and beating up monsters to get them), you'll amass plentiful additional XP -- combined with quest rewards, you'll be well ahead of the leveling curve for whatever story content you're also going after, to the point where it honestly will trivialize any possible challenge.

There is a definite point at which it will catch up to you no matter how many quests you have done, though (location spoiler, around the Sword Bridge). For me personally, it was like hitting a brick wall, but then the game became a different kind of fun as it actually made me work out my strategies and push every character harder.

As for those ludicrously high-level mobs you see here and there, they are indeed for endgame stuff. I never quite got to them because there came a point at which I just wanted to bring the story to a close, but if you love it when a game gives you optional goals far and beyond anything you'll be faced with in the main storyline, you're in for party time here.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Xenoblade sequel: Life has been peaceful for a while, but then the daily life of another young unlikely hero is interrupted when his house is destroyed by a meteor...that turns out to be an attractive robot gal who's missing a couple limbs, and the only things she likes to talk about are mathematical percentages and combat threat assessment. All that matters to our hero, though, is her single demand: "I need to be cleaned."

Full circle. :haw:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

vaguely posted:

I only picked up on Reyn actually being quite smart about halfway through my first time around, but it's there right from the beginning.

Reyn is really well-written. I was going to go into why he's specifically great, but then it occurred that they're all pretty well-written. Nobody feels like a stereotype, and they all feel fresh. You would expect, given the writers, that there are callbacks to Xenogears characters, and they're there, but rather reusing designs or just copying them wholesale (which happened a few times in Xenosaga), they made them very subtle -- like Melia's silhouette being the same as Marguerite Fatima's.

Speaking of Melia, her English VA deserves credit for portraying a teenager convincingly delivering language normally associated with cartoon nannies. If this game had been a movie, the only actress who could truly go the whole distance with that was Sound of Music-era Julie Andrews.

And, speaking of excellent voices: Metal Face.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

You know she's the current companion on Doctor Who, right?

I did not know this. I've never actually watched Dr. Who.

But I have like a million nerd friends who do, and you just gave me another great thing I can tell them to get them to play this. :mmmhmm:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The reveal that Willy Nelson had secretly been an evil rear end in a top hat the whole time was one of the most upsetting parts of the game.

I felt like they almost overdid it. Cool guy one moment, gloating cartoon-badguy the next. It felt upsetting only because it was so jarring and hamfisted. You expected something to happen with him, but when it finally hit it was like, "What, really dude?"

Though, I did appreciate the scene later on at Colony 6 where it's shown that he's finding that opposing Shulk & friends is a lot more terrifying than he expected. Writers should take note; showing that the villains have some kind of respect, or at least regard for the heroes really helps lend them substance.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Still, one might be forgiven for thinking that character suspicious, but just hiding things, and not outright villainous.

Oh the other hand, I liked how hilariously obvious it was that Lorithia was clearly evil from the first second she appeared onscreen. To the point where I doubt that spoiler text is even necessary. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Because Riki sneaky.

Like everyone has said, it is a pretty solid and mostly serious story with a minimum of animu and it goes fairly soft on the melodrama (and when it is used, it is used pretty well).

You know what's great? Yeah, Riki and Reyn are full of cute funny stuff, but the rest of the cast is in on this too, despite having far more "serious" appearances and motivations. Anyone who's paying attention knows that deep down, Dunban is as much of a goof as Reyn, just grown up a bit more.

If taking advantage of game mechanics isn't enough for you, you should make sure to constantly switch up your group to hear all the post-battle exchanges that every combination has.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Xenogears-style robots, with the gorgeous, gigantic fantastical environments of Xenoblade scaled even bigger, in hi-def, that you can turn your robot into a sports car and cruise around?

I mean I'm just sayin' it'll be NICE if the Wii U has other good games, but you know

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

alcharagia posted:

He has as many kids as he has thousands of HP. Yeah I'm sold, this guy's never leaving my party ever. :allears:

See, you'd think the wise, fatherly figure of the group wouldn't also be the cute mascot character, but then Riki happens.

Dunban might've been mistaken as such a type, but the fact is he's basically Reyn with a few more years of wisdom.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Guess who just spent six in-game days exploring Eryth Sea! :shepicide:

Edit: Oh there are teleporters, are there?

Great!

Obsessively filled out the whole map by swimming around forever.

Never realized that when all marked locations are discovered, the whole map automatically fills out. :downs:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Calaveron posted:

This is a ridiculous spoiler. Like, give it a bit more context like so. As to your question, (ending spoilers) she slept in Vanea's machine thingy for like a month which I guess basically grew her a new body

The alternative explanation (more ending spoilers): Shulk just 'fixed' her when he rebooted reality.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Zanza will make more sense, but Dicksons motivations will remain kinda stupid and nonsensical

(more late-game story spoilers)

As clumsy as the double-cross felt, I liked that scene later on where they show him in the aftermath of a fight with the heroes, slumping over and catching his breath, and saying something to the effect of, "holy poo poo, Shulk & pals are goddamn terrifying".

It's nice when villains acknowledge that they're up against a ludicrous force of destruction in the form of PCs!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

The thing that's worrying me most is the silent protagonist, that does seem like a step back from the previous game.

I dunno. Shulk was likeable, but I feel like that was mainly just due to his voice acting. Otherwise he was kinda just generic optimistic hero dude. Same with Fei in Xenogears, sorta. Shion was...distinctive, that's for sure, but I wouldn't say it was in a particularly good way. :v:

Kinda glad that it seems like you'll get to pick your character's gender, at least if I read that right.

If the create-a-hero thing works anything like how it does in Mass Effect, that would be very nice.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shulk wasn't just a generic optimistic hero though. That's why I liked him, is that for like the first half of the game he has a seething uncontrollable rage for everything regarding Mechons. Dude flips right the gently caress out, repeatedly, and it's great. He mellows out after he wants to stick his dick in one but I liked that he was a well meaning guy with anger/vengeance issues.

Also that the game hastened to call him out on being a retard for keeping his visions to himself.

This is true, I suppose. The anger/vengeance thing they did a good job of showing he was mitigating through common bonds with friends, and not placing his particular grievance above the ones everyone else had.

Gotta just note, though: Wasn't that whole subject in your joke-strikeout there actually touched upon in a heart-to-heart? Fiora was like, "I'm a robot now so we can't do y'know, stuff" and Shulks was like, "Don't care, mah Fiora :3:" which was one of the things that made their romance so drat sweet.

Also yeah, no sign they're doing the Mass Effect thing, which is a shame. Going by this E3, Japan seems big on the whole open-world choose-your-own-adventure kind of deal that hit its stride here with Elder Scrolls games and such, but might be missing the fact that we actually still sorta like the protagonists they create, cheesy as they often are.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, putting it in that perspective, it is kinda a shame about the silent protagonists, because all Xeno games thus far have actually had really sweet love stories. Y'know, man and woman, man and robot, woman and robot.

About the best thing we'd get here is a Bioware romance even if they did have dialogue options. :(

Though, they could turn this on its head by revealing that you, the silent awkward person, are the robot in the relationship this time.

I could dig it.

Considering that Xenosaga actually could have worked as a big open world type of game where the other characters are off doing their anime plot thing while the player, as KOS-MOS, just does whatever the gently caress they want.

Hell yeah, they should make it this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They get Reyn's VA for the male option and Melia's VA for the female option and that's all they need.

And Riki's VA as an option for both.

• Locked thread