Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

I'm not very far in the game but is it fine to play as a damage dealer and let someone else tank? Or do I need to take more control over tanking?

I played through the entire game with the damage dealers as my party leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Karthe posted:

I was in Satorl Marsh when I was given the quest to kill the unique giant bird mob . Unfortunately I'd killed it on the way to get the quest since I didn't know any better. How long does it take for unique mobs to respawn?

If you fast travel to another region and then fast travel back, it should respawn all the monsters. Certain uniques will only show up during certain times of day though, so you might need to fiddle with the clock after traveling back to the unique from the nearest landmark.

"CodfishCartographer posted:

So my copy just came in the mail and I'm liking it so far! However I'm a little worried about doing all the side-quests. I noticed the OP mentions that I'll be overleveled if I do them all - will this make the game super easy? Will I miss out on tons of cool poo poo if I don't do many of them? Should I just stick with time-sensitive ones, or what?

You can get overleveled on quests, but some of them may require fighting high-level mobs, so if you're having trouble beating a quest enemy that's a pretty good sign you should move on. Alternatively, just take note of your affinity star level for the current quest region, and don't try to go over what seems appropriate for how far you are in the game. And you can always go back and finish all the early quests later in the game when the experience reward is less significant.

Kawalimus posted:

I was just going to say that I wish the game would do a better job encouraging you to take on stuff higher leveled than you. I can't seem to beat anything more than two levels above me when I try. But maybe I'm doing something wrong. I should tinker with my strategies a bit. I love doing stuff I'm not "supposed" to do in games.

What point in the game are you? Near the very end of the game I was regularly fighting enemies 6-10 levels higher than me by using Melia, Riki, and Sharla. Mostly because ether attacks are more accurate, especially for Melia.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 13, 2012

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

PurplieNurplie posted:

Is there any way to get the Pandora Mushroom away from the spider in the Windy Cave without walking? I'm playing on an emulator, so I can't really tilt the stick to walk, so I'm just curious if there's another solution besides coming back and fighting something level 70+

Didja try baiting it away by throwing a rock yet?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

Don't forget that she even has to help kill both her brother and her stepmom, which is fun. And no-one in the party except Riki seems to give a poo poo. This is alleviated somewhat in the H2Hs, but still... Melia turned into one of my favorites when she was the only one in the party who didn't act like a complete utter moron when Shulk almost gave Mumkhar the frikkin' Monado!.

To add a little more to the conga train of misery that is apparently Melia's life, (early Makna Forest spoiler) her only friends in the whole world before she meets Shulk & Co. are her bodyguards, who all get brutally murdered by the telethia while telling her to flee. Pretty sure that's justification for going all emo in a typical JRPG, or maybe even in real life.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

wefeelgroove posted:

I just got to Eryth Sea and had a serious :aaaaa: moment when I first saw it. The environments in this game just get expotentially prettier the further you go.

The cutscene during the (Makna Forest spoiler) Telethia boss battle really solidified what I like about Shulk. When things started going south and Melia suggests retreating, he's all "screw that noise, we're killing this thing now". He's angsty, but he does something about it. Any other JRPG protag would be "....", but Shulk? Shulk's mad as hell, and he's not gonna take it anymore. I'm sure his thirst for REVENGE :black101: will dry up eventually but for now I'm enjoying that he's not just a big mope.

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Melia, by the way? She won't stay in my party long enough for me to figure her out so I'm kind of floundering whenever I get a chance to use her. I can't figure out how to use the water/thunder/fire summon things correctly.

You use Melia by summoning up to three elemental thingies at a time, each of which gives a minor buff to Melia and nearby party members, and then you fire them off like bullets with her main talent art. Also later you can do her 2-part flying comedy kick to instantly topple enemies that aren't resistant. Also the electric element summon is the best one so try to focus on spamming that as much as possible with electricity+ weapon gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

That's actually one of the unique things about this game- in lots of other RPGs (moreso jRPGs), your characters can be friends, rivals etc. with one another but it almost never really is apparent in the game outside of plot stuff. Here, being friends with your teammates is actually a gameplay mechanism (encouraging others during battle) that has impact on how you develop your characters (skill links, gem crafting to a lesser extent). Maybe I just missed all the good examples of this in other games but this is maybe the first time where I've felt my party is a team that cares about one another.

Persona 3/4 also do this pretty well, but with even more anime.

• Locked thread