Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

"Story Memo" takes the place of that arrow that points you where and how far to go, if you're not in the correct region to get said arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The main way you'll raise affinity between party members is just by using them together in battle. You get a little bit every time you start a chain attack, you'll get some whenever you run over to a person and encourage them, and you'll get anywhere from a little to a lot (depending on your timing) when burst affinity - that "press B at the right time" thing - comes up due to someone getting a critical hit or missing the enemy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I've typically been fine for levels, without overmuch sidequesting (basically just pick up what I come across and let things auto-complete when they auto-complete), just going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B and killing anything aggressive in between rather than just running past screaming, and those will usually be no more than 3 levels above or below me.

If even 3 levels higher are giving you problems, either switch to ether damage or pump up your agility to boost your accuracy and evasion (which is the main reason higher level enemies are a pain: you don't dodge them much and you miss them a lot). Even if you can't be bothered with gem crafting, collectopaedia coughs up a fair few free gems to keep you not-completely-incompetent. And it's not like you'll need those collectibles as much if you're not sidequesting.

6th/4th/1st is my usual go-to party, though I sometimes boot one of them for 3rd for bosses. (Not always: 6th and 1st can often keep up with the healing.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For the former, pretty sure game files are independent of each other. For the latter, I believe records (e.g. "kill X enemies of Y type" or "use N arts") carry over, and trials (e.g. "discover Z landmarks") do not because you redo those.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

NTT posted:

Alright, so I've done well so far against most of the bosses, dying a few times each to Arachno Queen, the Hangar Guards, and Xord. Especially Xord. gently caress him.

However, I'm stuck at the daddy Telethia, and there's just no way that it's 5 levels higher than me. Where was I supposed to get 4 more levels to kill this thing? Even for Xord I was only 1 level lower. Is it supposed to be level 36 when I'm only level 31? Ughhhhhh

In my (recently finished) first playthrough, I stopped doing sidequests (aside from any that I picked up that just so happened to auto-complete) after Colony 9, since just sidequesting there left me super-overpowered for the next few hours of plot. For the most part, I was fine just going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B and killing any enemies that aggro'd along the way. And maybe a few that didn't because b-b-b-burninate.

There were, however, a few points at which I felt the need to stop and bust out a few more levels by killing additional enemies or opting into a few sidequests. That spot you're at was one of them.

Use the local random enemies (excluding any obviously high level and a bad idea to fight things wandering about) as a metric. If you can easily handle a single one, and you can survive without too much worry even if you get a few extras, then you should be good to proceed. If you're having a hard time, on the other hand, either grind a level or two or see what equipment/gem upgrades you can bust out.

Also, don't forget to play around with levelling arts, making sure the arts you have set are useful for the situation, learning skills, and linking skills. In general, if you're having trouble, there are quite a few different things you can investigate to make your life easier. But sometimes you just need to sit down and bust out another few levels, because it's just as possible to be underlevelled as it is to be overlevelled.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chim posted:

guys - i bought a new graphics card (radeon 6670) just to play this game in 1080p, and holy crap it's gorgeous. I utterly suck at playing apparently though, as I don't really understand the combat even after reading the tutorials.

I'm near the beginning of the game, got the monado and the third party member, and I just get creamed by any group of enemies, even ones my level. It took me nearly an hour to beat the arachno queen, and now i'm running after juju and its taking multiple reloads to blast through mechon. What kind of mechanic am I not understanding? I generally play as Shulk (though I seem to do a bit better when I'm Sharla and just stand in the back and heal), and also, how do i keep my chain attacks going? Sometimes I get a second round, but most of the time the chain attacks end after all 3 characters go once.

Apologies if all of this has already been answered, I didn't want to skim through 300 pages and risk spoiling myself. Love the game

Also, how are your levels compared to the enemies? Relative level is huge in this game, especially before you get good agility gems. It has a really big impact on hit rate and evasion rate: if you're sufficiently far below the enemy's level, then you'll nearly never hit them and they'll nearly always hit you. Reverse for if you're above the enemy's level. (Agility helps with both of these things.)

Within 2-3 levels is generally fine, but if you're having a hard time overall with everything - even random trash while travelling around - then you could probably stand to gain a level or two. One way of doing that is simply to kill everything that aggros you; another way is to do a few sidequests or exploring.

Also yeah, keep your arts, skills, equipment, and gems updated. But level is really important.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Marogareh posted:

Reached Eryth Sea and it's so :swoon:

This was honestly my impression of nearly every drat area in the game. Well okay, Tephra Cave was kinda boring and cave-y. But everywhere else!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My advice is to go ahead and sell materials, especially if you're not bothering much with sidequests (which is probably the way to go in a first playthrough, so you're not horribly overlevelled and so you can keep seeing the plot unfold).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chim posted:

yeah, i'm doing a few sidequests but judging from everybodys 100+ hour playthroughs i think i'll be fine just playing mostly story.

Sorry about blowing up the thread, but if I'm playing as anybody else but Shulk, how do I get him to cast Enchant? I find myself just petering about for like 45 seconds until Shulk finally decides to do it - is it a better idea to just play as shulk for the beginning?

Or Sharla, who does ether damage (when she's doing damage at all) and thus doesn't need Enchant.

Overall though, AI Shulk is usually pretty decent about throwing out an Enchant at or near the beginning of a mechon fight. If you go to arts and level up Enchant, it mainly extends the duration (and, less importantly, slightly increases the bonus damage), which can also be handy for maintaining it.

That said, for gameplay mechanic reasons that would kinda be spoilers to explain at this point, you'll really only run into this concern with Reyn in the early-game events surrounding Colony 6. My advice would just be to control Shulk for that sequence.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally? I have the easiest time playing as the sixth character, Riki the mighty heropon. I have the hardest time playing as Reyn for some reason.

As far as AI vs. controlled Sharla, I found AI to be better at staying alive and not pulling aggro, but not quite as good (but still overall pretty decent) at actually keeping people healed (which is why it pulls aggro less), so it's a tossup.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

I just started this game. I keep trying to check corners of everything for hidden poo poo because every jrpg ever has stuff like that. Can I stop?

I'm literally in the first town and this is already the best game.

Explore as much or as little as you want to. One thing to bear in mind as far as pacing and challenge goes, is that the level/difficulty of plot bosses is basically tuned with the assumption that you're not going too out of your way.

So if you do a lot of sidequests and/or exploring (you also get experience for discovering locations and landmarks), you may find yourself overlevelled. Depending on whether you're out for challenge or if you want to see the story without bashing your head against a wall, this could either be a good thing or a bad thing.

On the flip side, if you're having too hard a time progressing the plot, take some time out to explore and do sidequests. (Sidequests will overlevel you much more than exploring will. Don't feel obligated to refrain from wandering around the beautiful environments.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you've been doing other sidequesting too, then you should be high enough to jump right into the endgame sidequesting. If you haven't, then you've got a few options (grinding, exploring, easier sidequesting) for bridging that level gap.

As far as arts manuals, the limit of 4 upgrades was more than enough for me for a good ... I'd say nearly half of the game. But you do eventually bump into that limit and you'll want to keep upgrading (and have a lot of AP to spend). When that happens, skip around to shops and buy manuals for your favorite arts that you like to use a lot, so the limit becomes 7 upgrades, which is plenty sufficient to beat the game.

(Though it doesn't hurt to bump Monado Shield up to 10 upgrades by the end of the game - handily, you don't need to worry about arts manuals for Monado arts.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

tamriilin posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but in the first boss battle in Makna Forest, after I get the water ether crystal and alvis shows up, we're attacked by the puera telethia. How do I even beat them? I used purge but they do far too much damage for me to ever be able to kill all three. And Alvis seems worthless, he isn't doing any damage at all and he doesn't appear to be able to heal so what the gently caress? What am I missing here? BTW level 28, don't really know why I can't beat a boss battle my level.

Try levelling up Shulk's healing art and making sure his equipment and gems are up to date? I don't remember this fight being exceptionally tough. Main key is to make sure you use purge when there's something to purge (they get all glowy), and to focus-fire down one at a time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can't always fast travel, and even when you can, there are occasions when it's more convenient to simply do your gem stuff Right There rather than go to the nearest landmark.

Besides, in the grand scheme of Colony 6, bumping it up one level is pretty easy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bovineicide posted:

Does Riki ever get more options for drawing aggro? I'm playing with him on point and Shulk or some other DPS character can usually draw more than he can for some reason, even with all of his DOTs active.

As noted, he's not really a fantastic "main tank" choice without gemming/linking him for more aggro. In terms of tankability, he functions more as a DPS/healer hybrid who can pretty safely pull aggro (contrast Melia, who's more of a glass cannon), but won't expect to have enemies solely focused on him. It's more "he'll pull aggro and it'll be fine" and less "he'll always have aggro".

He's also a very effective off-tank for picking up adds: just toss out Burninate and Lurgy for groups, and any un-tanked enemies will probably go for him rather than your third party member. (And since his DoTs are pretty awesome, said un-tanked enemies might even die just from that before anyone gets around to focusing them down.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Manoueverable posted:

Is there some kind of specific strategy to getting extra moves on a chain attack? Given video game logic, you'd think that moves that go well together (e.g. break/topple/daze moves) would allow for more follow-up attacks, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Tension levels (ideally being "on fire"), high party affinity, certain skills (linkable and stacking, if I recall), and a prayer or two to the random number gods.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Once? Try dozens and dozens of times throughout most of the areas. The spreadsheet is a godsend but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it and just grind those drat glowies.

It helps to grind glowies in areas that you don't usually hoof around too much. My experience has been that the ones in more inconvenient out of the way locations tend to be the ones with a chance at spawning the particular collectible I lack.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

wefeelgroove posted:

Jesus I love Nopon so much. I just got Riki and I could not put him on my team fast enough. I'm a huge sucker for adorable JRPG mascot critters to begin with but the Nopon are a special sort of :3:

And on top of that, the Heropon himself has an extra-heavy helping of :3:. He went on my team and I never looked back.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

What I'd love would be if the map had an option to select any named NPC you've met, and give you a long-distance icon so you can always find them again. Would make it much easier to track people down for sidequests or to see their changing dialogue at different times of day.

Since that's not actually going to happen, I'll settle for a FAQ of some sort that for each NPC, lists hourly location changes (not just where they are at 10:00 or 22:00) and hourly dialogue changes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Even with top gear and level 5 Poison and Blaze attack gems in his weapon, I'm having trouble getting Riki to seem relevant. He has a lot of DoTs, but even when they're stacked the damage just doesn't appear to be all that great compared to the crazy burst damage Melia or Shulk are capable of. At least it's fun racing around trying to aim him to catch as many targets as possible in his attacks though. :unsmith:

I suppose it is possible that I am not setting the right combinations of arts across every party member to really get the synergy going.

He's not as bursty, but he's much less squishy (Melia, for contrast, is a total glass cannon if you're not keeping things toppled) and he can heal quite well too. He's also better for taking down crowds of enemies simultaneously rather than focusing down one single enemy quickly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

-Does Dunban get any more armor with side capes and frilled collars? He looks too handsome to change armors from his default set :allears:

There are basically three main style options among light armor:

- Looks like the character's initial equipment
- Looks like swimwear
- Looks like tribal jungle gear

And for medium armor:

- Looks like some sort of skin-tight leather
- Looks a little bulky, and for many characters has somewhat pronounced shoulders
- Looks High Entian, with wing/feather ornamentation

And for heavy armor:

- Bulky and spiky (NB: Dunban also gets a cape with this one)
- Bulky but smooth and machine-like
- I don't even know, kinda bizarre - very spiraly and circular design motifs

You can distinguish them by their icons. Each style has its own icon. But yes, so long as you stick to light armor you will get lots and lots of opportunities to stick Dunban in something that looks like his default set.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Boxer-Dunban is perfectly functional, particularly with Melia's Unadorned Beauty skill linked. Endgame min-max wise, though, you're better off giving him slotted armor and real gems.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

At or below 250 agility, you get more agility out of an Agility VI gem (+50) than you do out of Unadorned Beauty (+20% stats if no gems).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Head towards the Colony 9 cylinder hangar exit. Before the exit is a cave with a sharp turn in it and no enemies. Before that cave is a hallway with a few non-aggressive lizards. The hallway is shaped like a U, with a door at the base of the U, the aforementioned cave/exit at the left tip of the U, and a dead-end at the right tip of the U.

The unique you're looking for is in that right-tip dead-end. Park yourself there, save, and reload until he shows up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nah, there are three general heavy armor models, and Titan's one of them - nothing unique about the design, looks-wise, though it may have unique coloring or something, not sure. (There are also three general medium armor and three general light armor models.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

"Sky Stage" is kinda bad directions from the game for that one. I usually found him by going east along the southern edge (south of the hill, north of the forests).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Go ahead and finish. The "timed" icon is used for a variety of things, including:

- Progress too far in the plot and you're SOL on this quest.
- Finish some other competing quest, and the one you didn't choose to do will vanish from your list.
- This quest is only available until you do a particular (and obvious that it'll affect it) thing at your leisure: it's like a plot lockout but sidequesting based instead of plot progress.

The timed quests on Bionis' Leg are a case of the third (a pair of them is also a case of the second).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

What's the difference between haste and agility up?

In case you haven't already found this out:

Haste is auto-attack speed, and is very beneficial to both your non-art damage as well as (for every character whose name isn't Sharla or Melia) filling your talent gauge more quickly to be able to use your generally-desirable talent art (the big one in the middle) more often. The usefulness of this varies by character.

Agility is accuracy and evasion. Level has a profound impact on both of these too, so raising your agility enough effectively makes you "higher level" in that regard. This can make comparable-level enemies wimpy (because you hit them all the time and they almost never hit you, as if they were lower-level enemies), or it can make higher-level enemies manageable as if they were comparable-level (instead of the usual case, which is them always hitting you and you never hitting them).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've started exploring the swamp. Looks like a pretty big place.

All right, I've gotten a bit tired of Dunban's combo-based gameplay. He's harder to use in a chain attack, because you need to do two hits with him to do a break. I guess I should hit with the Gale Slash before starting the chain attack, perhaps.

I still prefer Shulk's style the best.

One thing you might consider is using chain attacks for purposes other than breaking and toppling enemies. You get a very impressive damage (or healing) bonus by sticking to the same color of attack. Talent arts are white and count as wildcards, so you can go:

- Red (chain 1)
- Red (chain 2)
- Red (chain 3)
- White (chain 4)
- Pink (chain 5)
- Pink (chain 5) (it maxes out at 5)
- White (chain 5)
- Purple (chain 5)
- Purple (chain 5)
- Purple (chain 5)

Chain 1 or 2: normal damage
Chain 3: 3x damage
Chain 4: 5x damage
Chain 5: 7x damage

... Though of course chain attacks often don't last that many rounds, it's something to bear in mind. Since break is pink, topple is green, and daze is yellow, you have a much harder time taking advantage of this if you use chain attacks to topple/daze enemies rather than just lay on the damage.

Also, damage over time effects (bleed, chill, burn, poison) scale disgustingly well with chain attack damage increases. First off, their starting damage-per-tick is based on the damage of the initial hit, so because the chain multiplier boosts the initial hit, the DoT gets an indirect boost. And then on top of that, the DoT double-dips and gets another boost of its own from the chain multiplier.

Basically if you inflict some DoTs on a chain 5, they will tick for enormous amounts of damage and it will be awesome and pretty drat insane. They'll be boosted 7x because their initial hit is boosted 7x, and then that will be boosted 7x again. I'm pretty sure this is multiplicative for 49x rather than additive for 14x, but either way it's pretty crazy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MotU posted:

Questions that I don't want any specific spoilers for since I am avoiding them as best I can. I am currently heading to Valak Mountain. How long until I get my final party member, and do any Timed Quests expire between then and now (including ones from areas I have not gone yet)? I want to be able to save them for getting affinity up with them as well as any extra SP I can squeeze out of them

Counting Valak Mountain, three areas and technically the beginning of a fourth, and a few boss fights. No timed quests expire and no areas get locked out in that interval, so feel free to blow off your questing (and SP from exploration) until after that point.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Riki is more of a hybrid between a DoT-flavored damage dealer and a support character, who has a mountain of health so he can pull aggro and take hits (in other words, he's not a glass cannon like Melia). He's not really a tank, though it's probably possible to build him as one (you'd need a lot of aggro management gems for both him and your other party members though).

The niche I found him best at was for booting Sharla out of the party while still having some healing oomph and having a lot more damage than Sharla is capable of. He's also good for absent-mindedly killing off crowds of enemies just by throwing AoE DoTs around (and he has the health to survive crowds of weak enemies plinking away at him). Burninate and Lurgy are awesome for that, and while Freezinate is single target, it's also got a very short cooldown compared to the others.

Due to Riki's positional attacks, particularly the fact that his heal is a cone-shaped AoE, he's much improved by controlling him directly. Like Melia, he doesn't have the smartest AI. (Contrast Sharla, who works perfectly well on autopilot.)

Like with all characters, he's not super-awesome right out of the box. You don't have all his arts yet, you don't know any skills for him (and don't have any affinity to link others' skills), and all of his arts are at their starting levels and therefore have relatively low effectiveness, short durations, and/or long cooldowns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'm pretty sure I've raised the affinity gained from relationships as far as it goes, no named NPC is giving new dialogue right now unless I'm missing someone obscure.

Nearly every named NPC not only has two alternating lines of dialogue, but also has two (sometimes more) sets of dialogue depending on time of day. The guides are generally very 10:00 and 22:00 focused, but you will need to talk to some of the NPCs at other times of day to create/update some affinity links.

Until some kind soul comes up with a collected source of information about NPCs, dialogue, locations, and hours, my method is generally:

- Find them at their 10:00 or 22:00 location. Chat twice.

- Advance time to 12:00 or 0:00 respectively. Assuming they're still there, chat again. Some NPCs change dialogue after noon or midnight.

- Advance time, an hour at a time, until they start moving. (Movement always starts on an hour mark, though it doesn't necessarily end on one.) Talk to them once they start moving.

- Go back to their 10:00/22:00 time and location and start reversing time by an hour until they disappear. They should be somewhere vaguely nearby (since they'll have to arrive within an hour), so look/wait around and talk to them before they arrive at their stationary spot.

On account of tedium, I would not advise doing this super-regularly. Instead, do every quest you can, and only do the rounds of checking up on NPCs at odd hours when you run out of quests and you suspect you need either area affinity or specific NPC affinity links in order to get more. (It's not too hard to check up on related NPCs at their usual 10:00/22:00 after finishing a given quest, though.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

All this talk about affinity has me curious. I've only been playing for like 10 hours, and I haven't bothered to raise affinity anywhere. What exactly are the benefits of raising affinity in zones? More quests I assume (since I have like 20 quest items with no corresponding quest), but anything else?

It also affects what items are available by trading with NPCs, but since most of those items are themselves primarily used for quests (and upgrading colony 6)...

Well, it does still have its practical uses. You can get gems and equipment by trading too, and collectibles to flesh out that one last spot in the collectopaedia. And some of the quests do have useful rewards. But on the whole, area affinity is something quite important if you're interested in sidequesting and something quite useless if you're not.

Affinity between party members, however, is a very useful thing with lots of practical gameplay benefits.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Link

Anger, Darkness of the Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJJ5vTSTeE

(Totally blanking on when it's played, though.)

HenryEx posted:

Link

Creeping Shadows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1E-AN-5WJI

(Blanking on that one too.)

e:f,b

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Do certain collectibles only spawn in rare locations? I ran through the Ether Mine a half-dozen times, and I only found the one Yellow Cat in a secret area. It was just an animal, not a special-type collectible.

Each blue glowy can have up to 8 possible collectibles it can cough up, and not all of them at the same odds. Also, some blue glowies only spawn at night and some only spawn during the day.

In other words, yes, some of them are just plain going to be rarer than others, and the rare ones aren't always going to be categorized as "strange" or anything. In some cases you can get around that by getting the collectible by trading with an NPC. The best you can do (without risking spoilers by doing message board searches for specific collectibles) is vary where you're running around and hit up glowies throughout the area during both day and night.

It'll be a real pain trying to figure out what all the three-heart collectibles things are for all the characters, because I'll need to grab at least six of each before I can do a full test. So far, I have that Shulk really likes Blue Chains and Winding Gears, and Melia really likes Dobercorgies.)

There are FAQs for these things, but again, risk of spoilers. If you're up to Frontier Village, then copy-pasting from a FAQ on GameFAQs and snipping out the parts that would be spoilers to you:

Shulk +3:
Shield Bug [Insect, Makna Forest]
Blue Chain [Part, Colony 9]
Winding Gear [Part, Bionis' Leg]
Pauper's Cup [Stange, Satorl Marsh]

Shulk +2:
Sirius Anemone [Flower, Colony 6]
Orb Daisy [Flower, Satorl Marsh]
Rumble Stonefly [Insect, Tephra Cave]
Mystery Firefly [Insect, Ether Mine]
Black Panel [Strange, Frontier Village]

Reyn +3:
Spicy Cabbage [Vegetable, Bionis' Leg]

Reyn +2:
Humming Cabbage [Vegetable, Satorl Marsh]
Schorl Mushroom [Vegetable, Makna Forest]
Shin Newt [Animal, Tephra Cave]
Black Frog [Animal, Ether Mine]
Yellow Cat [Animal, Ether Mine]
Giant Hornet [Insect, Colony 9]
White Night Rod [Strange, Colony 6]

Dunban +2:
Prairie Dragonfly [Insect, Colony 9]
Rubber Mantis [Insect, Ether Mine]
Water Log [Nature, Satorl Marsh]
Blue Gear Shard [Part, Satorl Marsh]
Plate Snow [Strange, Colony 9]
Death Bangle [Strange, Bionis' Leg]
Lemonade Sky [Strange, Makna Forest]

Sharla +3:
Sour Gooseberry [Fruit, Bionis' Leg]

Sharla +2:
Hard Lotus [Vegetable, Bionis' Leg]
Bright Fig [Fruit, Tephra Cave]
Spicy Nut [Fruit, Frontier Village]
Kneecap Rock [Nature, Tephra Cave]
Gold Dust Illusion [Strange, Bionis' Leg]

Riki +3:
Soft Sea Cucumber [Animal, Makna Forest]
Moth Crawler [Insect, Bionis' Leg]
Rubber Mantis [Insect, Ether Mine]

Riki +2:
Kelp Mushroom [Vegetable, Makna Forest]
Sour Gooseberry [Fruit, Bionis' Leg]
Prairie Dragonfly [Insect, Colony 9]
Brown Butterfly [Insect, Tephra Cave]
Forest of Gossip [Strange, Makna Forest]

Melia +3:
Dobercorgi [Animal, Colony 6]

Melia +2:
Spirit Clematis [Flower, Colony 6]
Chimera Rabbit [Animal, Satorl Marsh]
Venom Platypus [Animal, Satorl Marsh]
Steel Silk [Strange, Tephra Cave]
Rumble Box [Strange, Frontier Village]

What level should I be when leaving the Frontier Village for the capital of the empire? I think I'm going to be overleveled at 39.

You are, but not too badly. You're about the right level for the next real boss, and a little high for a mini-boss that precedes that, and after that you'll be on track again.

General rule of thumb is that if you want a reasonable challenge (neither pushovers nor bashing your head against a wall) you should expect to be about 0-2 levels above the local random enemies, and about 0-2 levels below the bosses. If you're overlevelled, cutting down on exploration :saddowns:, cutting down on sidequesting, and running past enemies more than killing them, will help out. Similarly if you're underlevelled, doing all those things will help you catch up.

All that talk of 4th and 5th skill trees makes me go :stare: because I think I've JUST BARELY fully opened up Reyn's first tree, and he's level 39!

It's more 4th and 5th branches to that first tree. So you start the game with three branches, you can unlock a fourth branch at around or slightly later than you currently are in the game, and you can unlock a fifth branch when you're close to the end of the game.

Is Melia's Duplicate Summon spell worth it if I'm basically only spamming her summons as projectiles and re-summoning them immediately? (Right now all three are at level 4.)

Sure. Use it for your favorite projectile to get two in a row rather than waiting around for that one's cooldown to reset. Or use it for a projectile whose own personal cooldown is super-long (read: Summon Earth).

I cleared off the big spiders from the roof of Exile Fortress, but the quest-giver just suggested I "look somewhere else" for something to do.

That's one mini-quest-arc, and it along with a few other mini-quest-arcs are involved in a bigger endgame quest arc. For the time being, if you've gotten the item off the roof (and optionally killed off the spiders), you're done with that for now. There'll be more on the subject later in the game if you haven't tired of sidequesting by then.

Also, the Nopon from the Nopon Refuge wants me to deliver something in a time-limited quest to a Nopon I've never heard of "somewhere far away". :rolleyes: That's helpful.

"Somewhere far away" is in Frontier Village, but yeah, it's pretty vague directions, especially if you don't go around talking to all the named NPCs. (And Frontier Village is big enough and has a wacky enough layout that it's really easy to miss a few.) I think he's on 2F at night.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm a completionist by nature too, so I feel your pain. What I ultimately resolved to do was have playthrough #1 be PLOT PLOT MUST SEE PLOT (which had the bonus side effect of having all the fights be challenging since I wasn't overlevelled and more importantly was so plot-focused I even ignored gem crafting :doh:), and playthrough #2 be "okay, now that spoilers are a non-issue, let's dig around and explore and sidequest and see every bit of juicy detail this game has to offer - oh, and also actually understand what's going on in the foreshadowing". The game does have a New Game+ system, after all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chaltab posted:

I think something is wrong with my game. No matter how many quests I do in an area, my affinity with them stays at 1 star.

In my anecdotes, it feels like it takes a long time to get from 1 to 2 stars, and then after that it goes at a pretty good clip. Part of it is that you get to the more "plot"-ish quests that are not only often faster to bust out than your generic monster/material/collection quests, but tend to reward two or three stars instead of just one.

Also, in the process of following up with NPCs after completing non-generic quests, you usually get a bunch of free stars just from all the affinity links being created and updated.

TurnipFritter posted:

Thanks for this. Soon my team will be sharing their skills like the bestest of friends.

Just bear in mind that it's an "only through Frontier Village, and ignores everything available only after that in the plot" list in the interest of minimizing spoilers.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, it's in that below-the-bridges area to which my first reaction was "gently caress this, I'm taking the bridges safely above all the scary dinosaurs".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Devoyniche posted:

This whole track seems like it is ripped straight out of Phantasy Star Online. Not directly, listening to the song it reminds me of, but like the instrumentation and effects seem similar to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTcL8Mjgu2U

I am probably completely off from what you are thinking of, but that is what it reminds me of.

Edit: Actually someone mentioned Chrono Trigger but it may be something from Chrono Cross, since I think the same guy, Yasunori Mitsuda did the soundtrack for that game and Xenoblade.

Best I can tell, Yasunori Mitsuda did only one track, the vocal track in the ending. Yoko Shimomura did a small handful, notably the main theme and the regular battle theme. The majority, though, were composed by Manami Kiyota (tended toward softer/emotional themes) and ACE+ (tended toward fast-paced action themes).

The song in question was an ACE+ work.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, the Wikipedia page for Xenoblade spoils the crap out of the plot. Stay the hell away if you haven't beaten the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Don't forget about the free affinity coins for forcing you to kill a unique! Affinity coins are awesome, since skill linking is awesome, and is a really good reason to raise everyone's affinity toward everyone else rather than just getting tunnel vision on a given party of three.

The name of that individual is Lady Meyneth. You'll be finding out more about her later.

• Locked thread