Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Sometimes, the AI can be a bit dumb (fighting Mechon when not controlling Shulk can take a while sometimes), but it's relatively robust for what it is. If Reyn's getting distracted by other enemies, keep in mind that you can direct them to focus on one enemy (Z+D-Pad-Down on the Wiimote+Nunchuk).

I've been stopping-starting this since I reached the snowy area, and now I'm chillin' on the beach, might need to just dive into it and rush to the end before my exams start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Speaking of how metal the soundtrack is, who's "ACE+", and what else have they done? They're one of the main contributors to the soundtrack, composing some of the general favourites, like the Unique Monster theme, the boss theme, and Engage the Enemy.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Getting owned by Level 30 fishes is a mandatory part of the Xenoblade Chronicles experience, don't leave Colony 9 without it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except the sky stage guy. gently caress that guy for never showing up at Sky Stage or the other area mentioned (it says he goes between them but that's a lie unless it needs rain too like the lake quest). :sigh:
As I recall, he's actually way outside the Sky Stage, maybe to the south of it or something like that? It's pretty annoying, yeah.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Occupation posted:

What's the name of the track that plays whenever you fight a unique named monster?

Because that's the best track in the game, uh huh
"You Will Know Our Names"/"Those Who Bear Their Name". It's right up there; my five favourite tracks are all by ACE+ :shobon: This game's soundtrack is amazing in both the context of the game and as a standalone work.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

frosteh posted:

Do you have to unlock this fast travel option? Cause I can't find it :(
If you're using the Wiimote+nunchuk, - lets you skip around in the area you're in. After that, open the menu (the one you save from) and choose the option on the far left, which lets you go different areas at once.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Zereth posted:

Am I supposed to know where "Tirkin HQ" is? :confused:
A big theme of the game is "exploration", so explore until you find it. It's to the north of the camp somewhere, as far as I recall.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

By the way, for people who're good at this game: who're the "best" characters for gem crafting? If you want to avoid spoilers, you might just want to number the characters (e.g. 1-2 would be Shulk-Reyn). I get the idea that you might want to save scum if you really want to get into Fever on a particular Gem (to reach Mega-Heat), but apart from that, I just go with whoever has the most turns, generally :shobon:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Sharla is easily my least favourite part of the game, since her armour is terribly designed and obviously male-pandering. It seems like the thought that went into designing the armour for the character who can't use one arm was drained from the thought going into Sharla's. Melia's clothing design is better by far, so it just asks the question why Sharla wasn't given much leeway.

:sigh:

Fairly late spoilers, probably shouldn't click unless you feel that you've progressed very far into the game: I can't pass judgement on Character 7, I haven't seen much of it yet.

zonar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2012

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

For the people attracting the attention of monsters way out of their league: make sure your party is focused on the enemy you want dead, just to be on the safe side. Of course, even if the enemy does get you, it really doesn't matter; dying has no consequences in this game.

Playing this game may well have ruined other JRPGs for me. I played Persona 4, and I just can't get into it, if only because it's not as flat-out amazing as Xenoblade (it's just mediocre).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Melia needs some tactics to use; I think that in the old Xenoblade topic, someone posted a "how-to" for playing Melia, which offered a pretty solid basic strategy. I don't have it on hand, but maybe someone can repost it?

Naked Character 4/Dunban really isn't that great, to my knowledge. He dodges better with the gems and the dodging aura.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I've never had trouble with the bosses in this game; I'm doing my best to ensure that I get to them when I'm on-par with them, as opposed to far above or way below them. So far, so good; this game's boss theme is pretty great, and it's always fun to listen to it while fighting.

Also, Sankis, it gets better from here. The sheer scale of this game is pretty amazing at times.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

What's this gifting malarkey? :psyduck:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Rirse posted:

How bad does Sharla look in heavy armor?
The chances are "very". I haven't tried it myself, but I will be genuinely surprised if it's more then an iron bar for a bikini.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Louisgod posted:

I wish everybody that has a semblance of interest in playing this game would read this sentence because of how true it is. It takes a special game to dethrone Skies as best JRPG.
I wish Skies of Arcadia wasn't so expensive nowadays, I'd really like to try it :(

I also try reaching the end of this game before the end of the Easter holidays. I'm just gotten the last party member, so about how far is that? 80% or so?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

The trick with Dunban is that he doesn't care about gaining aggro, since he should rarely be hit; physically speaking, a high Agility (and some of his auras) make it very hard for him to be hit. Ether is harder to dodge (I think?), so make sure to use armour that complements his ether defence.

Dunban's auras are all very useful, and should probably make up at least half of his battle set. The aggro-to-zero one is handy if you're getting a little overwhelmed (or want Reyn to tank), since I believe it also sets his critical-hit rate to 100%. Serene Heart is the one which I put up at the start of any fight on equal footing, since it means that Dunba can draw aggro all day with no problems. Peerless ups strength (excellent), and makes him draw more aggro. He's a wonderful party leader, and is also cool as gently caress in general.

(I haven't touched this game for a while, but still remember this. Why.)

Thanks for the feedback on the 80% mark. Might try and rush the end of the game, before being inevitably distracted by sidequests :toot:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Oh, by the way. Is it bad that I spent about twenty minutes dicking around in the (snowy mountain location spoilers) Hollow Bone? So much fun to keep sliding down to the bottom, reloading, going back to the top...

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Realising that Satorl Marsh is the Bionis' butt was a pretty amusing moment for my friend.

Speaking of moments, finding the Black Wreckage (bit of a mistranslation there, it seems) was pretty drat cool. Surprised they didn't tuck it away and call it a secret location, given what it is.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Though that's still kind of stupid, because any wreckage is technically a metal wreckage.
To be fair, that's the same problem that's with Metal Face's name in general. It's fine for the party to use it, but the antagonists use it as well, so it all gets a bit weird.

Calaveron posted:

Oh man I completely missed that. That's found in Fallen Arm, right?
Yep, it is. I could be more specific if you needed to?

Oh, and do the timed quests in Alcamoth relocate when I inevitably reach the point where time's up? Or should I just have a go and get through as many as I can before pressing on?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

How do Shulk's visions of the future and Monado abilities work when he's not in the active party?
The former work as normal, with no change; since the latter are something that only he can do, it goes with him, if that makes sense.

Or, rather, Monado Arts are Shulk's unique Art, and don't go with him. Seeing the future isn't an Art, and is just a gameplay mechanic in general.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Jetpack Postman posted:

Does anyone know of a guide that shows which Sidequests that are better off skipped, or has some quick and dirty advice of which sidequests can be put on the backburner indefinitely?

I really liked this game the first time around. I'd really like to be able to finish it this time.
Anything which isn't explicitly timed can be put off, and done at leisure. Those which are tend to have fairly decent times until they become off-limits, with the shortest that comes to mind being the earliest, which has an area or two before they relocate the quests.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I can confirm that the issue is timing; once or twice, I had Melia jump and get caught on the middle of the ledge, which means that she kept going until she went under it at not half-bad speeds :toot: I wonder if Riki'd have an easy time of it, given his proportions?

Xenoblade's physics are the most important physics.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I didn't have a problem with that jump. I had a hell of a time with that other ice slide jump though, the one with the round ice tunnel where you had to prematurely jump in order to get on to a ledge. I spent like an hour on that loving jump.
Wait, that's not the one we were talking about? :downs: I'm dumb!

Magikoopa189, I'm sure you've tried ejecting/re-inserting the disc already? My game did that at first, too. (I had the disc in the wrong way. I'm bad at video games consoles.)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

The enemies are starting to catch up to my level; I might take a detour and go back and make a serious go at doing the Frontier Village quests for EXP/affinity. :toot: I do like this about the game, though: even though I want to get through it, quests are something that I genuinely want to do, even if it means going out of my way.

zonar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 16, 2012

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Re: correct Melia usage.

Personally, when I'm using her, I first summon a Wind and Water elemental (for the buffs), followed by a Lightning one. I'll unleash the Lightning one, then use Summon Copy to get it back, then unleash it again. There might be some wait until you get the Lightning one refilled (level it to the max!), so use the other four arts (which I put on the right-hand side of the Arts bar, just to be safe) to give her some use while waiting.

She eventually gets a two-part combo (Spear Break + some green Art) that Topples an enemy, and that should definitely be part of her repertoire. The other two are up to you, and I've been messing with them quite a bit myself.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I don't use Shulk much, so I don't use the Monado Arts that much. The main reason I don't use Shulk is that he doesn't really have that many Arts, but I do see why he doesn't (since the Monado Arts are basically an extension of his other Arts).

Still, he's pretty boring to use compared to Dunban or Melia. Speaking of Dunban, I finally started getting Riki's comments when doing quests with him as the party leader. "Herohom" :allears:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

What's with this game and having so many beautiful environments? Ever since the marsh every time I go to a new area I just have to spend some time panning the camera around staring at the scenery because it's just. so. loving. PRETTY! :swoon:

And then I have to change the time so I can see what it looks like during the day/night. Anyone else do this?
This game's visuals are fantastic, so definitely. Colony 9's nice, sure, but every subsequent location is even more amazing then the last.

Early-midgame location spoilers: Makna Forest/Frontier Village is a good one, since it's really nice looking and all, but then you look up at the sky at night. You can see the ocean above you. It's a really nice effect, especially when you go to Eryth Sea and come back. My reaction is forever :aaaaa:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there a point in the game where doing all the side quests won't make me hideously overleveled?

I'm level 30 and capable of beating down the Mount Torts in the leg while the main quest is still tossing level 20 monsters at me and expecting me to give a poo poo.
Progress the plot until the enemies are on par/above you, then pop back to do the quests. Doing all the sidequests will only take you so far, since quest rewards don't scale with level (to my knowledge).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh right, I have a question about the Monado's arts. Can you actually get manuals to upgrade them past level four? Not sure if this is a story-based thing or if I've missed the books somewhere.
You will be able to upgrade them in due time.

AI-Shulk is pretty good at using Enchant as his first Monado Art, it's just a question as to whether he can fill his Talent Gauge quick enough to get it to you easily.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That sounds fantastic. How does it look? :allears:

As for miniquests: I'd honestly advise leaving them on the backburner. Eventually, the EXP you get for quests in a certain area isn't really enough to push your levels forward by that much. If you're at that sort of level, you can tackle the sidequests with less fear of being overlevelled :)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

evilalien posted:

Agility doesn't affect attack speed or run speed. There are specific gems to increase those.
By the by, I think the run-speed one is "Quick Feet", and the attack-speed one is "Haste".

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

I started Reyn's fourth skill tree. I need to put him back in my party full-time, he really is amazing :allears: I wish I had a script of it, it's brilliant.

zonar fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 18, 2012

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

At ninety hours clocked, I've finally hit what is very definitely the endgame. For the first time in forever, I started playing before I went to bed, and only noticed the time when I looked at my window and saw the sun rising.

With that, I can just say that Xenoblade Chronicles is the best RPG I've played. No qualifiers, no "except for", it just is. The story is utterly amazing, the pacing is fantastic, the gameplay is definitely solid. Every time I think "wow, that was really fun, I'm done now", I'm shown the error of my thinking. The game just doesn't stop topping itself.

All in all, an amazing game.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

And you should complete every quest related to Red Pollen Orbs and the pollenworks in general. It is by far the best quest line in the game.
Oh-ho, I'm sold.

Speaking of which, about what level should I be at for the final boss/dungeon? I want to reach it at a level where I won't annihilate everything, but not such a level where I struggle to win, y'know? Feel free to tag the answer :)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Start from the beach landmark where you got the Ether Crystal earlier; swim towards the waterfall from there, and you'll stumble across it fairly fast, as I recall.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Ankle-biter posted:

Are they common? Do they translate into anything? I know Cloud and Squall from FF are weather related, but what's a Reyn, Shulk, or Dunban? Anything?
You'd want to ask the developers about the name, not Europeans. I don't think any of the names were changed in translation except "Fiora" (which was "Fiorung" in Japan, according to the soundtrack).

The only one that means anything to me is "Reyn", which is a unit of viscosity. That's probably not intentional, though.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the Eryth Sea is on those wing things extending from its back. I guess the underside is some clear material?
As I recall, it's very much like the water in the spring on top of Frontier Village. The water apparently floats, as I recall (unless I'm forgetting something).

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

What is "jump in the" even a reference to? Maybe it is an endgame thing but so far I have to say I don't get it.
It's not in-game, but it's in the thread.

(Jump in the river.)

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

stratjacked posted:

I'm at about level 33 or 34, and I'm opening the seals to enter Prison Island. Just curious - approximately how far am I though the game?
To my knowledge, you're at about 50%, I think. Quite possibly less!

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Isn't an AI-controlled Melia worse, though?
Compared to how good a player-controlled Melia can be? Yeah; giving Sharla to a human to control just makes her better at healing, whereas player-controlled Melia is a totally different character.

I'm not really a big fan of Sharla in my party, since she just seems to make battles drag out longer then they need to. Maybe for post-game stuff, where enemies hit way hard and soak up too much damage for my party to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Occupation posted:

I really do love this game to pieces, but the things implemented poorly in this game (subquest system, raising area affinity, the equip screen, no way to store items, the map system) are all the more obvious because everything else is so good.
Raising area affinity and the map system aren't good? :confused: Area affinity is a bit imprecise, certainly, but what's the issue with the map system? (Provided that you don't mean the fast-travel, which is really rad.)

• Locked thread