Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't see why you guys are making so much of that Kotaku review. What about Kotaku sets it above other gaming sites that you need to react badly to its review? And is the game really so fragile that one "very good, not amazing" review is going to destroy it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

InfiniteJesters posted:

It's popular and people are worried that thus large numbers of people will be influenced by it.

Also, it's hardly the only issue people have with Kotaku.
They recommended it. They said it's worth buying if you like RPGs. It's like a 9/10 versus a 9.5/10. I don't see the issue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blind Sally posted:

It's the internet. Are you suggesting that we SHOULDN'T fuss over things like this?
I like to think that on some parts of the internet we can be mature and not fall prey to fanboyism :P

That said it's a minor thing, it's not like you guys are going ballistic to ME3-ending levels or anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, while I love JRPGs and I agree that this is the best JRPG in a long time, I take issue with some people proclaiming this the next coming of gaming or something. It still falls into a lot of JRPG/Anime traps - most of which don't involve gameplay, thankfully - like being sentimental to the point of absurdity, having a bland prettyboy main character, etc. And while it is really fun, and I'll certainly play it to the end, I'm not seeing the same appeal that some of you are - the ones that have put in over 100 hours and still aren't bored of it.

I'm thinking a lot of this word-of-mouth hype may have been fueled by a need to prove Nintendo wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game with well designed gameplay and incredible music, but I doubt it's going to convert non-JRPG gamers or anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know no one said exactly that - but sentiment is there, everyone is falling over themselves to give breathless praise. Again, it's a great game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and the gameplay is indeed very fun.

Mainly I'm taking issue with people who say the characters and story are a breath of fresh air - while there thankfully aren't any obnoxious characters, I'm still seeing a lot of tired anime tropes, especially in Shulk's personality (lackthereof) and character design (oh god some of his armor choices look so dumb).

Maybe things improve later on - and I hope they do. But none of the characters so far are really compelling to me, except Dickson and Dunban. They should have been the main characters.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just saying a lot of people have gone a little far with their praise, especially about the characters. I really hope it sells like hotcakes and Nintendo is proved dead wrong.

It's just sad that "best JRPG of the last 10 years" is kind of mixed praise. Not exactly a stretch when you look at the competition and its lack of innovation. Now someone needs to reinvent the tactical RPG - loving Nippon Ichi has turned it into a horrible grind-a-thon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Also, as an aside, there actually is a reason why Shulk is the way he is and that gets touched upon a ways into the game.
Ok, since I'm not all that far in (just finished the Swamp) I'll shut up about Shulk's character design and see what happens to him as the game progresses. I guess I was judging it a bit early, although I would argue first impressions are important.

Utnayan posted:

I am on the I love the characters bandwagon right now, and I think it is easy to explain their decent decision making skills given their upbringing and war experience. They may be very young, but they have a lot of experience in dealing with the enemy. I am guessing had we all been brought up in the same manner, we would be able to make those quick judgement decisions as well.
I'm not bothered by the decisions they make, I'm bothered by the cutscene paralysis where characters talk at each other for long stretches when they could easily make a move to attack, or should have been cut down by waves of enemies long ago. It's not as bad as in other games, but it's there.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Violen posted:

This problem goes a drat sight further than just JRPGs, or gaming in general.

I think you need a bit more suspension of disbelief here, as lazy an argument as that is.
It's not ruining the game for me, it's just a bit silly. But yeah, it's a problem in a lot more than just JRPGs, and it's an exception when a game DOESN'T do that.

• Locked thread