Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm playing on an SD TV though so the text is hard to read. :( I was worried that would happen. I find it weird that it would happen on a Wii game. Is this game running at a higher resolution than your average Wii game or something?

I think "hard to read" is a bit of an understatement. I tried playing it on my good old CRT and the text was so blurry that it was literally illegible. And I tried playing it on my HDTV and it was an unplayable, motion blurry mess. I've only got Composite cables right now since I never found a good set of component cables that didn't cost an unreasonable amount.

Even better, my capture card for my PC doesn't seem to work anymore, so I have literally no way to play this game I just bought.

I have no idea at this point if I should deal with the game being unreadable, or pay ANOTHER 20$ to see if component cables will make the game playable on my HDTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Okay well I asked about buying some online before any nobody could confirm any of them are actually decent quality. After buying 3rd party cables for 360 and finding out they had absolutely 0 shielding I'm a little more careful about them these days! :I

But like I said, I dunno if they will even make it playable on this TV or not. How sensitive is this game to lag really? Because this TV does not upscale without a lot of it. :/

(Also I checked Walmart and they don't carry them at all anymore. NOBODY in the area seems to actually, Gamestop doesn't even list them in their system anymore.)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Try playing as Melia - she hangs back from the fighting and flings spells. A popular idea is to gem her staff with Electric Plus gems and upgrade her Volt spell to do extra lightning damage. She can be devastatingly effective, and tends to stay out of melee range to draw less aggro. She also has some similar skills to Shulk - her Mind Blast art is like Shulk's Purge. I haven't tried it yet, but her Reflection art might be a damage shield.

It is, reflects all physical and ether damage except for Talent Arts. It's really good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is an excellent summation of the problems this game has. Takahashi has been finding excuses to pointlessly shoehorn in hollow Gnosticism references for what, a decade now? It is like he is masturbating in front of me. Dude needs to move on and grow as a writer.

Step 1) Read up on "Show, don't tell". Goddamn.

Yeah I agree. Love the game but the story and characters really took a weird turn for the worse during the second half of the game.

How does the story/gameplay of Last Story hold up by comparison? I'm eyeballing that one at the moment but I haven't heard nearly as much positive about that as I had heard about Xenoblade.

My wife wants a big plushie Riki doll, I guess nothing like that exists though. :I

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

vorpal posted:

I'm through Makna now, and I still have no idea why this game is supposed to be so great. I haven't spent much time with the two newer characters, but the other four are boring so far. The story is also boring so far.

I've been impressed with the locations and music, especially the swamp at night. The gameplay is ok, except for the mmo tank/dps/healer crap. I feel like I'm having a different experience than others, from reading the thread. I just click buttons in the order they're supposed to be clicked while zoning out just as much as any other jrpg. I haven't found any of the bosses challenging. No, I'm not over-leveled.

At what point did you all care about these characters and how much further do I have to go for the story to get interesting? I'm losing the desire to even play it, which pisses me off because I bought the controller and had to buy a new drive for my wii to get it running.

If you aren't enjoying the characters or story AT ALL so far then cut your losses and move on. It starts slowing moving into jRPG crazy town not too much longer after where you are, but whether that's an improvement or not is up to you. It doesn't get really crazy until about 90% of the way through the game (of which you are only about ~40% of the way through).

Also worth noting the absolute worst town area is up next and it's definitely the low point of the game.

And yeah the combat system is really boring most of the time because the game has really awful encounter balancing. There's an extremely thin margin where the combat is challenging and still winnable, usually when you are about 2-5 levels under what you are fighting.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tibeerius posted:

I just completed the post-Agrinatha plot dump, and am working my way through the Heart-to-Hearts that I've unlocked. However, I can't seem to reach Melia's residence in Telethia-riddled Alcamoth because the teleporter is inactive. Will I eventually get the opportunity to travel there again?

Yup, head to the Ether Plant in Eryth Sea, the place with all the windmills. There are a few quests there for you to do. Then, check all around the ground level at Frontier Village during day/night, there's a few more there to do.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Regarding side quests that are worth your time: If you get a quest that involves collecting ancient artifacts of the giants, don't even bother. The payoff is so crappy you'll be angry that the game strung you along for it. It's just some equipment that won't be as good as the stuff you already have by the time you get there.

Oh god, this was the loving worst. It's a huge multipart questline and there's a ton of fun extra lore bits you get from the parts leading up to the end, but then there is ZERO payoff at the end. It's insane.

Honestly though, at that point in the game you're just doing the sidequest for fun anyway, seeing as you have to be in the mid 90s just to be able to even get to that point. But you'd think you'd at least get some end game quality items from it, or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Question about the ending on that note...

Is there any evidence one way or another about the fate of the towns? I mean the actual structures and such, not the people, whom obviously survived.

I wasn't paying too much attention to that during the ending. So I'm kind of left unclear as to if any of your work in Colony 6 actually meant anything. I guess the saving Alcamoth bit would have at least had the side effect of rescuing the one woman.

I kind of wish the game had had an Earthbound-like ending where you could wander around and talk to all the NPCs you met along the course of the game, but I imagine that could have taken ages to implement.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Linnear posted:

When Tyrea flew off, that was a goof right? Because from what I've picked up in-game, they shouldn't be able to. Or maybe I'm confusing them with Nopon.

You're talking about High Entia being able to fly with their head wings? Presumably, some of them can and some of them can't. Half-Homs usually can't because their wings are generally too short.

Riki can float/hover with his as well. I don't think they show any other Nopon doing it but I would assume it's the same deal, some can and some can't. Probably requires a lot of upper-arm strength to do.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I put everyone in sunglasses at the end of the game, because it's not like I could really take the plot seriously at that point anyway.

My favorite Riki outfit is the one that makes him look like a big metal durian.

Edit: Here Riki go

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 4, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Vil posted:

Or Techno Riki, where it's just his eyes peeking out from an orb of mechanical armor?

I always referred to that one as "Dwemer Riki". I'd never actually seen the one with the Russian(?) style helmet before, wonder what set it is a part of.

I'm really partial to the silly knit hat as well. What kind of hat is that anyway? I guess that doesn't count as a Toque?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PFlats posted:

Edit: hey everyone! Is there any way to make the "Daze in an arc behind you" ability (I think it was called thunder) ever useful?

There was a kind of a weird hitbox trick you could use with one of his other skills that let you force yourself to have your back to your current target. It was kind of sketchy though, and not really worth trying to setup that I could find.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Safe and Secure! posted:

Yeah, one possibility is to have Melia use one of her arts to seal the enemy's arts, thus preventing their attack.

Melia also has the Reflection skill which is god drat amazing against these. I'm pretty sure it can reflect anything too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kind of worried that it looks like Xenoblade 2 (or whatever it actually ends up being called) looks to have multiplayer. A Co-op game ala Secret of Mana would be pretty awesome though, if that's the route they're going.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Strange Matter posted:

Unless the Chat Bar is actually your AI controlled partners talking to you and the game is just going one step more meta in playing like a single player MMORPG.

The chat text is basically generic "Hey how is it going, what should we do today?" kind of stuff, which really makes me think MMO of some kind. But yeah, at this point who even knows for sure.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I was thinking if they were going the multiplayer route, they should just let a second player play on the second screen. That'd be really nice. Otherwise I guess it'd be used for a touch keyboard or other things like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Khisanth Magus posted:

Basically if I hadn't heard all the good reviews on it, I would have just dismissed the original Xenoblade out of hand for being the kind of generic fantasy JRPG garbage that makes my eyes glaze over.

Pretty much. The excellent localization helped a lot too.

Looks like there might be some more stuff at E3 later at 2PM PST: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Those are some really cool additions, though no set Protag is a huge change. Doesn't say you can customize your race though, so maybe no option to play as a Nopon?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They're showing it off right now on the Nintendo stream: http://e3.nintendo.com/treehouse/

If you had told me this game was a new PSO game I would have completely believed it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think the faces look fine myself, but they are pretty different from Xenoblade. Game looks crazy good, music is awesome from what I can hear too. Those environments and enemy designs look great.

Changes to the battle system look good too, locational damage on enemies, melee and ranged auto attacks. This game is looking like they mashed up Xenoblade with PSO:2.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that looked really fantastic from what they showed, but the characters, voice acting, and (most of) the story was really what made Xenoblade a stand out. And that's stuff that they've barely shown off at all, plus the main character appears to be a voiceless MMO protagonist, which is making me nervous. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

They're showing basically the same thing again on the Gamespot stream if anyone missed it: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/gamespot-stage-1-2014/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah if they're going for a custom protag they should just go whole hog and let you be a robot if you want.

• Locked thread