Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
:siren:Xenoblade is out now in Canada, the 6th in NA! Good luck finding a copy unless you've preordered from Nintendo or GameStop. If you're lucky, you may be able to find an extra copy floating around Gamestop starting the 6th!:siren:

If you're playing the game and need help with quests and/or finding certain NPCs, the following chart is your best friend. BE AWARE that it does contain some spoilers so use at your own risk and should probably only be looked at when you reach level 50:

:siren:WARNING SPOILERS :siren:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&gid=11

FAQs:

Are there any major differences between the EU version and the NA version?

Nope, none at all. As far as we are aware they are exactly the same minus not being able to be played in their respective territories.

Does the game have any motion controls

No, none.

Can you use a Gamecube controller with the game?

No, only a Wii remote + Nunchuck combo or a classic controller. The classic controller is probably your best bet.

How do I get the game to run in Dolphin?

I don't know, ask the Dolphin thread!

So why the hell is this game so special?

User Levantine put it best:

quote:

"Xenoblade is the best JRPG of this generation at the least; it may be the best I've ever played, period. This is the game that Square Enix has been trying to make for the last ten years and failing every time. It's the game that the last two Final Fantasies wish they were. It has well written, realistic (especially for a JRPG) characters, a story that seems very down to earth and relate-able but at the same time manages to surprise at multiple turns, a combat system that takes the best aspects of MMO's and never really lets you get bored, and a quest system that any new RPG coming out should adopt immediately. It has taken most, if not all the tedium out of the genre while keeping all the fun (and numbers) intact. It's not without its weaknesses but they are so minor and so cosmetic I'm not even sure every player will notice them. For the record, I put nearly 110 hours into the game before I beat it - none of it was grinding either. Just exploring and finding poo poo and expanding the story through optional cut-scenes between characters and extra quests. The best part is you can skip all of that extra stuff and still have just as much fun with the game. Xenoblade is literally as little or as much as you make of it. Play this game."

(I will echo these words as well. This game deserves all the attention it can get and you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing it. Buy it now. - Louisgod)

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

WHAT KIND OF GAME IS THIS? WHO MADE IT?

Xenoblade Chronicles is a JRPG made exclusively for the Wii from developer Monolith Soft whose biggest claim to fame is the Xenosaga series. They have also been responsible for such games as Soma Bringer, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, and more. However, they are also noted for having many staffers that were responsible for the games Xenogears and Chrono Cross when they were at Square-Enix.

However, when I say "JRPG" don't think of stuff like Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, or Ar Tonelico 3 (Hopefully you haven't even played this). This game was made to elevate the JRPG genre from the pit of stagnation it's been caught in. This game isn't a one way trip down a corridor, there's no random battles popping up every 5 seconds when you're walking around and it's not a game that looks like a anime with characters that go ~UGUU~. Xenoblade is a fantasy work that tries to remember why we got into RPGs in the first place while updating the genre. This means wide open explore-able environments, battles that can be fought at your own discretion and a cast of characters that don't continually make awful choices for story convenience and are actually quite likeable! Even the "mascot" character!

CRITICAL PRAISE

Right now Xenoblade is currently sitting at a 91/100 rating on Metacritic after 51 reviews. The lowest review to date as of this OP is a 80/100 rating which is well, pretty drat great for a JRPG

Most of the reviews out there call Xenoblade a breath of fresh air. A innovative take on the genre that pushes it to new heights that most JRPG developers should try to reach themselves. Frankly, if you think you know everything there is to know about JRPGs, Xenoblade might be a fair surprise for you and even if you're not a big fan of the genre, you might want to look at this game.

WHAT'S THE STORY BEHIND THE GAME?

The story of Xenoblade is that 2 ancient gods known as the "Mechonis" and the "Bionis" fought a long time ago. They were locked into what seemed to be an endless struggle. However, the struggle eventually came to an end as both of them wounded the other and both seemed to have lost their lives. However, born from this struggle, races of people were born from both of the gods. On the Mechonis, a race of metal beings known as the Mechon were born and on the Bionis various races such as the Homs (humans), Nopon, and High Entia were born. They now live their lives on the remains of the dead gods, and races both born of Mechonis and Bionis now themselves are both engaged in wars. The story of Xenoblade will have you following the character Shulk as he travels to unlock the mysteries of a sword and the world he lives on

OKAY, SO WHAT DOES THE CAST OF CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE?

Shulk

The main protagonist of the game. Shulk is a scientist that has devoted himself to studying the legendary sword "The Monado". He lives in Colony 9 with his childhood friends Fiora and Reyn who help Shulk. However, events will force Shulk to leave the life he once knew and embark on an adventure with said friends so that he can unravel the secrets of the Monado and the world they live on.

Dunban

Age 30. Dunban is a hero among the homs (humans of Bionis) as he took up the legendary sword against the Mechon when they tried to invade Bionis a year before the events of Xenoblade started. However during this attempt he severely wounded his arm and as a result was no longer able to wield the Monado. Dunban also has a younger sister who has become a close friend of Shulk's.

Fiora

Shulk's childhood friend and the younger sister of Dunban. Fiora always sticks around Shulk and tries to help him out along with Reyn. Fiora is the younger sister to Dunban however Dunban looks after her like a father would after both of them lost their parents a long time ago.

Reyn

Another of Shulk's childhood friends. Although he is a member of Colony 9's Defence Force, he can often be seen at Shulk and Fiora's side. Reyn is brash and hot headed which can usually mean he says things without thinking and can get the party into a bad situation. But everyone knows he always means well and he tries his hardest at what he does.

Sharla

A medic of Colony 6's Defence Force. Sharla left Colony 6 but vow's to return there someday. Sharla is a medic and is the primary healer of the group. Using an ether rifle for long range attacks means she always hangs back in the fight.

Melia

A powerful mage that uses ether arts. She is member of the High Entia race who reside on the head of the Bionis.

Riki

A member of an race of merchants known as Nopon. A natural story-teller, he will go on at length about how he is actually the true legendary hero spoken of in the prophecies. He also sometimes cheers up the team when they are in despair.

ALRIGHT. SO WHAT IS THE GAMEPLAY ACTUALLY LIKE?

The closest example that can be given would be that Xenoblade is that it's somewhat like Final Fantasy XII. They both share Wide open environments, no random battles so it plays more closely like an offline MMO, an attempt at a more mature story than most JRPG's attempt. However, many would agree that Xenoblade took what Final Fantasy XII attempted and did a lot more things right. Especially in that Xenoblade's main character isn't a douche that looks like a metro-sexual that the story will ignore after 12 hours!

- Huge towns with lots of unique characters to make it feel like an actual busy town.

- Tons of tons of quests offered so that you can ignore the story at you're own leisure (300+ quests!)

- Wide open environments where if it looks like you can explore there, you probably can! You can jump around, and the game won't stop you from falling to your own doom if you choose!

- There's an achievement system included so that you get achievements from doing special things like using special attacks 100 times over with a certain character. But these achievements will also give you experience for accomplishing them! But that's not all, you can get fun achievements as well! Died? Have an achievement! Decided to throw yourself off the Bionis because you can't take life anymore and want to dull the pain? HAVE AN ACHIEVEMENT.

-A day/night cycle. A unique monster may only appear at night! Or perhaps during the day when there's a thunderstorm! Or maybe even at night during a meteor shower! But don't worry. This cycle is also able to be controlled by you! So if you want it to be 3 in the morning or 1 in the afternoon. Just go to the clock option and spin away!

-Affinity system with towns and your own party members. Higher affinity with towns means more quests and higher affinity with party members means more skills you can share between them (Like HP UP, Magic UP, or Finding better treasure!) or being able to craft better gems which will increase you're equipment!

- You control 1 character and the other 2 are computer controlled. But don't worry, the computer controlled ones are actually decently controlled for the most part! While they aren't ever as good as controlling them yourself. They won't ever screw you over. You can also pick anyone from your party you want to control. You're never stuck in just picking the main character (Unless he's the only character in your party)

- A more involved system than FFXII. You're not putting gambits on all your characters and letting the gambits do the work for you. Your character will auto-attack and THAT'S ALL. You have constantly pick special moves, and make sure you're pressing buttons at the right time. Because when you start a fight you get a chance to increase "tension" which makes you hit harder and if you get to max tension, you'll have to do a timed button press to raise affinity between characters! Can't make a sandwich during a boss battle like you would FFXII!

- Fast travel! Wherever you need to go there generally will be a marker for where you need to go. It's not always in the best place though, so sometimes you will need to walk a bit to where you need to go. But it's much appreciated to warp from multiple areas away.

- Many of the quests you do will auto-complete themselves! Need to kill 5 wild rats? Once dead. QUEST DONE! Hooray! This doesn't apply with all quests, but most of them where the objective may simply be "Get this for me" or "Kill X enemy please" will normally finish the quest.

- NO SAVE POINTS!!!! HOLY poo poo. SAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT IN A JRPG.

HOW GOOD IS THIS GAME, REALLY, AND NOT JUST FROM THE CRITICS

Here, have a goon testimonial if you don't believe me and the critics!

From user: Levantine

quote:

"Xenoblade is the best JRPG of this generation at the least; it may be the best I've ever played, period. This is the game that Square Enix has been trying to make for the last ten years and failing every time. It's the game that the last two Final Fantasies wish they were. It has well written, realistic (especially for a JRPG) characters, a story that seems very down to earth and relate-able but at the same time manages to surprise at multiple turns, a combat system that takes the best aspects of MMO's and never really lets you get bored, and a quest system that any new RPG coming out should adopt immediately. It has taken most, if not all the tedium out of the genre while keeping all the fun (and numbers) intact. It's not without its weaknesses but they are so minor and so cosmetic I'm not even sure every player will notice them. For the record, I put nearly 110 hours into the game before I beat it - none of it was grinding either. Just exploring and finding poo poo and expanding the story through optional cut-scenes between characters and extra quests. The best part is you can skip all of that extra stuff and still have just as much fun with the game. Xenoblade is literally as little or as much as you make of it. Play this game."

DOES THIS MEAN THE GAME IS PERFECT?

No, Xenoblade does have it's fair share of flaws. I, and pretty much everyone who've played the game can probably come up with a list of things that we would have liked to see implemented a good bit better. But the fact is that overall, these things don't majorly hurt the game. The game is so jam packed full of ideas and so grand in scope that the little things that they did get wrong are just that. Little things. They may be minor annoyances and things that make you go "Well, that was kinda annoying, it could have been done better" But it's not like Final Fantasy XIII where the laundry list of complaints always seemed to be bigger than the compliments. It also didn't need a sequel to completely overhaul itself so that gamers won't think of it as complete rear end.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU GET STARTED

- YOU DO NOT NEED A CLASSIC CONTROLLER TO PLAY THE GAME. It is perfectly playable without one. But the classic controller seems to be more preferred as its layout is a bit nicer and it's easier to hold. A Gamecube controller WILL NOT WORK with the game.

- When fighting enemies they will drop items. You generally want to keep these as they will be needed for quests in the game (if you choose to do them) however you will find that soon enough you'll get your inventory filled up. When this happens. You'll want to A) Sell the smaller bags that you don't have much of. Or B) Sell the bigger bags that you only perhaps have 1 or 2 of an item. As it's no major loss

- You can trade collectible items (The blue orbs) between party members to raise affinity. To do this, you need to go into the inventory and press the option for trade that shows up in the collectibles section.

- When fighting enemies, you will be prompted at times to hit the "B" button at the correct time to raise tension to max. If you time it right so when it's just at the outside edge, it will raise affinity by 3 hearts and not just 1.

- You can access the map right away by pressing the select option

- Some collectibles are harder to get than others. For the harder ones try looking in hard to get or special areas. Collectibles also appear brighter at nighttime and I've read that some rare ones may be easier to find (just a theory)

- If you do the side-quests. You WILL be over-leveled. If you wish for the game to be somewhat challenging for the most part, especially when it comes to battles. You may want to just do a run-through of the story first.

- When a quest has a clock icon next to it, it means the quest is timed. It does not mean you have X amount of hours to complete, but simply that at a certain point in the story you will be unable to do these quests due to story purposes. You may want to prioritize these if you choose to do quests.

- When chatting/raising affinity with townspeople, make sure to talk to them twice. They always have 2 different things to say.

- When Raising Affinity between townspeople. Some of them are static and don't move. However, they will at certain times to go back to their houses. You may want to chat with these people again as they may say something different from when they were standing still. The times static people move at generally seem to be at 15:00 for anybody awake during the day, and 03:00 for anybody during the night. Just stick by them and change the clock, once they start moving chat twice and move on!

- When fighting monsters you need items from. If you see a big group you'd like to consistently farm. SAVE AND RELOAD. This will cause the mob to come right back and saves you time running around the map.

- If you want to make sure you've found everybody you could in a town/village. Check out this handy spreadsheet to see if you've got everyone! - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&gid=11 (Note that there is spoilers so read at your own risk please)

Hope you have fun playing the best JRPG released this generation!

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The Black Stones posted:

Oh hey, Kotaku has "reviewed" the game and

"Powered my way through much of the game—including quite a few side quests—in around 35 hours. Have not yet finished."

Haha. gently caress you Kotaku.

Here's the review for anybody who wants to read it. I want to know what they consider the best JRPG of this gen because if Xenoblade isn't it. WHAT IS? http://kotaku.com/5898947/xenoblade...dium=socialflow

Dduuuuuuuuuurrr. Useless idiots. Let's REVIEW a game we haven't finished. May as well rename yourself to IGN. I'd wager they're like 40% of the way through if they've completed "quite a few of the side quests".

Really though, I have no idea what they're looking for since Xenoblade bucks so many JRPG staples and cliches: inns, items, mana, potions, save points, random battles.. essentially every generic JRPG motif has been removed.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2012

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Put warning about the speadsheet in the OP and edited that it's out in the states tomorrow.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 5, 2012

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

frosteh posted:

I blindly pre-ordered this game based on the April 6th sticky. I'm only a couple of hours in and holy poo poo, it's pretty amazing. The story is has me hooked already, the english voiceovers are surprisingly good, the music rules, and the battle system is fluid and tons of fun. I had never even heard of this game till I read about it on SA - thank you for recommending this wonderful game.

Yay, this is what I like to hear. Keep the impressions coming!

Also, Nintendo store orders are shipping today.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever seen that. Huh. Maybe I should just idle there a while.

I think it's in the main storyline itself though I could be wrong. If you're not sure, it's the shooting stars at night.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lakitu7 posted:

I got home with the game a 10:30am and sat down and didn't stop until about 8pm. Then I went back to it for another couple hours later. They just do a fabulous job with keeping everything exciting and interesting and fast paced all the time.

Yesss, glad you're liking it so far. It only gets better!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
When you're early in the game, it helped me to reread the tutorials once I got used to the gameplay, as initially it doesn't sink in as well as they should. That, and I think there are some advanced tutorials that opene up over the course of the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

OmegaZultan posted:

Christ, Frotnier Village is ENORMOUS.

Just wait for the area coming up after this. Once there, travel from one side to the next and time yourself, it's insane.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The main grievance I can understand he noted is not having more control of your party members, but when things go south in a battle, it's surprisingly easy to instruct your teammates by warning them, which at that point you just heal. If you're attracting unique bosses or level 90 enemies that aren't aggressive, then you're not focusing your party properly. His complaints are minor and easily worked around and shouldn't break his ability to play the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Daynab posted:

If it's deeply flawed, I wonder what he considers an excellent game. It basically fixed every major problem in the history of the genre.

Yeah, the list of what it DOES fix grossly overshadows the flaws the game has. Not to say that it doesn't have flaws, but it does so much to make the JRPG genre enjoyable again that it's easy to forgive the game's flaws since they're minor annoyances more than anything. "Glaring warts" would insinuate to me that there are game breaking components in place that make the experience impossible to enjoy or even makes progress impossible, but Xenolade has nothing like that. You either really like the battle system or you don't, but don't blame the mechanics of the game when you can't control your party.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

For those of you far enough to have six characters, is there a viable boss-fight party configuration that isn't Shulk/Reyn/Sharla? Shulk seems necessary for the Monado, Reyn is the only one beefy enough to survive boss damage, and Sharla is needed for her healing output. Trying to swap any of them out hasn't been successful.

I'm trying to set Dunban up to tank, as he's clearly also intended for it, but he takes too much damage. Is there some particular strategy to setting him up as a dodge tank capable of replacing Reyn? I figure good dodge-tanking would also let me swap out Sharla.

Melia as your main, Dunban for your tank and either Sharla or Riki for your healer, though Riki can double as a healer too. Use Melia's lightning skill plus lightning plus gems and you can pretty much break the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Megalixir posted:

Can someone explain how the battle system works? I'm 2 hours in. and I thought battles consisted of getting behind enemies/dodging enemies, but enemies just face me directly and can't be dodged. And apparently I can't block.

If you're playing Shulk, use Shadow Eye to shake off the aggro to somebody else, that way you can concentrate on side and back attacks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Adam Bowen posted:

This is one of those rare games that looks much worse in motion than it does in screenshots. I've never really cared that much about graphics, but it's actually kind of distracting to play a game today that looks like a PS2 game from around 2003. I really wish they had developed for the PS3 instead because the art direction is actually solid, it's the limitations of the Wii that are the real problem. The storyline and characters are pretty dismal so far (about 3 hours in) and the battle system is basically what I imagine a version of WoW designed for 6 year olds who haven't yet developed real motor skills might play like.

Monolith is owned by Nintendo, so you'll never see a game by them in anything other than a Nintendo console. I'm curious what kind of setup you're running on as the game looked pretty decent on my 37" LED LCD with component cables; anything larger and I bet it probably looks like a jaggy mess. Obviously it's not gonna match up to anything running on an HDMI input but the art direction is second to none.

As for the story and characters, they intentionally keep them somewhat shallow in the beginning; don't fall for the generic "boy wants revenge" guise as there's much, much more to the characters and story than it initially seems. There are a lot of bombshells dropped over the course of the game and part of what makes the story fun is taking it for granted. Three hours of gameplay so far is literally a drop in the bucket.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
:cool:

So glad people are able to enjoy the game without having to hack their Wii.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

metasynthetic posted:

Got this game based purely on the goon hype..

..Basically this game owns and is definitely the best JRPG I've played in the last 15 years. It's got that special magic I haven't felt since the original FFT (even if that isn't strictly a JRPG).

Hell yeah, this is what I like to read. Love reading the impressions so far.

Also, you're 28 hours in and at the Marsh, which makes you like.. not even 20% of the way through the game. Let that sink in for a moment: You're almost 30 hours in and are about 1/5th of the way through.

Yeah, the game is loving massive.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Chronojam posted:

They really must've had the whole gang together for the dialog recording because it sounds like they're actually conversing for all the cutscenes.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they recorded each voice actor separate from each other, which is impressive in and of itself considering how drat well it meshes together. I do however remember reading that they paid extremely close attention with how the tone and emotion was translated to each scene and to make sure they captured it accordingly; that, and they made sure the translation was almost spot on. Here's an interview with the voice actor that did Shulk explaining the experience.

ZebTM posted:

if this game sucks im gonna toilet paper louisgod's house

Sounds good, I'll send you my address if it comes to that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Flynn Taggart posted:

This is certainly the best RPG since Skies of Arcadia, and possibly the best one ever. .

I wish everybody that has a semblance of interest in playing this game would read this sentence because of how true it is. It takes a special game to dethrone Skies as best JRPG.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Sankis posted:

After Bionis' rear end swamp' how much more is there? I seem to be roughly halfway up him.

You're maybe 20% of the way through, if that. You have a LOOOOOONNNGG ways to go.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ScarletBrother posted:

That means I have to take down that named guy sitting on the throne. Boo!

Actually, I think you can sneak around him, just have to take it slow. Just take out the mob around him by throwing stones at his subordinates from a distance and you should be able to access the wall with no issues.

Allan Assiduity posted:

Oh, and do the timed quests in Alcamoth relocate when I inevitably reach the point where time's up? Or should I just have a go and get through as many as I can before pressing on?

From what I remember, once they're gone they're gone, so do them as soon as you can because the point of no return for those quests comes up pretty quickly after you leave that area.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lakitu7 posted:

These two answers seem to contradict each other?

This FAQ http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/faqs/62899 seems to suggest it's not until near the end.

Oh you know what? I was getting the cities mixed up. However, there does come a point where Alcamoth quests DO expire, and it's actually not too long after what I was originally thinking, so 80 to 90% of the way through is about right.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just saying a lot of people have gone a little far with their praise, especially about the characters. I really hope it sells like hotcakes and Nintendo is proved dead wrong.

It's just sad that "best JRPG of the last 10 years" is kind of mixed praise. Not exactly a stretch when you look at the competition and its lack of innovation. Now someone needs to reinvent the tactical RPG - loving Nippon Ichi has turned it into a horrible grind-a-thon.

It's important to note that when the bar for JRPGs has been reduced to such low standards that a game like Xenoblade, which bucks so many lovely JRPG trends, while obviously not the BEST GAME EVER, is still a huge breath of fresh air for the genre.

Yes it has faults, yes it's by no means perfect, but it does so much right that the few things it does wrong can either be forgiven or ignored, as all JRPG baggage isn't going to be left behind in one fell swoop. I disagree that people have gone too far with praise specifically for the characters, mostly because the characters' attitudes are that of adults and they for the most part approach situations with a logical course of action instead of letting their young age get the best of them, which happens in every JRPG created. I'm not sure how far you are in the game but the characters consistently make good decisions and respond to situations appropriately.

Also, as an aside, there actually is a reason why Shulk is the way he is and that gets touched upon a ways into the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Utnayan posted:

I am on the I love the characters bandwagon right now, and I think it is easy to explain their decent decision making skills given their upbringing and war experience. They may be very young, but they have a lot of experience in dealing with the enemy. I am guessing had we all been brought up in the same manner, we would be able to make those quick judgement decisions as well.

Eh, I think hypothetical upbringings have nothing to do with the way they act as much as smart writing and careful attention to how people should realistically react are the culprit here. There have been plenty of past JRPG protagonists that have a similar upbringing but are insufferable douches. With Xenoblade, they specifically took the time to remove what makes the genre generic; they go into it in more detail in the Iwata Asks interviews.

Again, it's by no means perfect (JIGGLY BOOB SYNDROME) but it's hopefully a catalyst for change in the genre.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Len posted:

Does fighting mechon ever become less tedious? So far I'm enjoying the game and the combat but trying to get Reyn to topple things is a pain in the rear end. My other main complaint about battle is the targeting because it just loves to cycle to everything except the thing in front of me currently killing me.

You can change targets and instruct your party to concentrate on a single target. And yes, fighting Mechon becomes less tedious later on. Toppling them isn't always the best solution to killing them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ScarletBrother posted:

So I just got Melia and holy cow is she savage and awesome! What are the best support characters for using her as a main? I'm running Riki and Shulk right now, but I love me some Dunban.

Depends on the battle, but I like to main Melia with Dunban and Riki as my tank and tank/healer respectively. If I need a consistent healer, I'll replace Riki with Sharla.

Kawalimus posted:

Can someone tell me just simply if there's something I'm missing here, or if I should just hang tight and this stuff will sort out as the game goes on.

Hang tight, it eventually gets worked out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Most of the time with armor it makes sense to go with weaker sets that have more gem slots than those that don't, so relying exclusively on the BLUE NUMBERS GOOD mentality isn't always the best course of action.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Love it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I too judge games by the first hour of the gameplay and story, it's How I Roll.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh I'm definitely not done judging the game yet, I had to start to get to work.

Oh I know, just giving you a hard time. It may have some generic anime themes but what the game does with them is really the highlight.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Ledneh posted:

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the PAL and NTSC versions?

This gets asked a lot and I put the answer in the OP, but to answer your question here, there are no differences in the actual gameplay that anybody is aware of.

I know there was another often asked question about the game but I forgot what it was. Any ideas?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The Black Stones posted:

I know a question that often seems to get asked is "Should I do the sidequests? Or just story run the game?"

I can't remember any other questions that get asked a lot beside that one.

I see there's a small bit in the OP that mentions how you'll be overleveled if you do quests, so hopefully that's enough.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The_White_Crane posted:

Xenoblade is definitely the best JRPG I've ever played, and is somewhere in my top ten games, I think.

I need to compile these quotes so that when people question the hype the game's receiving, can point out tat I'm not alone in this sentiment. Truly is a fantastic game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: except storywise...so far. So, if I am 12 hours in and haven't really been surprised by anything yet, do you guys think I will be?

Initially the story for the first 10 or 15 hours starts as a general "out for vengeance" story but morphs about 20 or so hours in when you hit Prison Island into something a bit more complex, and the motivations of the enemy becomes more fleshed out as you go from that point forward. Again, the story isn't all it initially seems to be and they do pull some left field poo poo way later, it just takes time to get there. Stick with it and I think you'll be happy.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's a mid-game spoiler? Either it's optional and I've skipped it, thinking it would just come up, or this game's going to take me 80 hours to beat. I'm at 41 or 42 hours played and at Galahad Fortress, currently level 54 because I beat all 4(?) optional boss-kill quests outside. 3 gave orion gear and the last one was a lvl 55 guy that gave 2 gems. I want to believe I'm only at the mid point of the game but I can't imagine an RPG being made that's a 70-80 hour playthrough, it'd just make me too happy.

I'd say you're at a little over the halfway mark at that point. Still have a waaaaaaays to go.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

sudonim posted:

What is the sequence to get melia to be an engine of death? I get that she can summon elementals and release them for damage, but it seems to cap out around 1000 damage while shulk and riki can do hilariously more than that, 6000 or so. What do I do with melia to get her to catch up? They're all around level 36, for reference.

Find a weapon that has three weapon slots and slap some lightning plus gems on it, and level up her
lightning art as much as you can. Level up her summon copy art too so that you can summon two lightning bolts at a time quickly.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

HenryEx posted:

I just confronted Lord Egil in the second capital and the stuff that is going down. :stare: He literally defied his people's god and instated himself in her place. As the one who, again quite literally, controls their world.
God drat.

You're just a little ways away from the real poo poo getting real.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

sudonim posted:

How many people worked on this game, and how much time did it take? Between the game systems and enemy variety and bigass areas, there's just so much drat stuff in this gam. I'm not even halfway through and I've played more than two games worth of content. This poo poo is huge.

edit: Not to mention that every cutscene is fully voiced.

A lot of people were involved and it took a long rear end time to make, from what I understand. We probably won't see a game of similar opus for quite a while as I'm pretty sure that the only studio that can topple this game or at least match it in scope is Monolith Soft and Tetsuya Takahashi.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

NTT posted:

Just finished Prison Island and poo poo got REAL. I loved the unique monster battle music being used for Metal Face, and all the cool poo poo that got revealed was awesome. It's now currently my favorite part of the game besides roaming with the Colony 9 theme playing.

poo poo hasn't even remotely gotten real yet. NOT EVEN CLOSE. That's how rad this game is.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Bonaventure posted:

Is the, uh, cosmology or whatever you want to call it of the Bionis / Mechonis ever explained or cleared up, here? I just got to Eryth Sea and I really don't get how this is supposed to be working. He's got a suspended sea on his back, and crawling up his back is exactly like walking on a relatively flat surface, same as crawling on his butt? Like, does the Bionis have a gravitational pull on its own? Are the characters constantly Mario Galaxying it up? But in the opening cutscene a bit of one of them got cut off and went crashing into the sea below, so that shouldn't be how it works. This is actually bothering me, just because they put such emphasis on the setting being a dead titan but in practice it's just mostly generic fantasy fields and you'd never be able to tell what you're on without the characters saying it.

Well, when you come into a new area it shows the outline of the Bionis and where you are at that point relative to his body, so it kind of clears that up I guess? With regard to the gravity of the Bionis.. all you can do is say VIDEO GAMES and move on, try not to let it bother you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

C-Euro posted:

That's actually one of the unique things about this game- in lots of other RPGs (moreso jRPGs), your characters can be friends, rivals etc. with one another but it almost never really is apparent in the game outside of plot stuff. Here, being friends with your teammates is actually a gameplay mechanism (encouraging others during battle) that has impact on how you develop your characters (skill links, gem crafting to a lesser extent). Maybe I just missed all the good examples of this in other games but this is maybe the first time where I've felt my party is a team that cares about one another.

That's actually something the developers explicitly set out to accomplish, which lead to the heart-to-hearts spread throughout the game. What's nice is that you don't have to do it, but the rewards for raising affinity between party members does a lot of great things, like increases the interesting conversations they have during battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
horry poo poo, pissss

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169704/Game_retail_weakens_as_consumers_turn_to_alternative_entertainment__analyst.php

quote:

EA and BioWare's Mass Effect 3 was the highest-selling game title in the U.S. during April, says the report, followed by Activision's Prototype 2 and Nintendo-published Xenoblade Chronicles.

No specific numbers out just yet, but that's pretty impressive if true, especially since you could only get a retail copy of Xenoblade from Gamestop.

• Locked thread