Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Skeeter Green posted:

It's the little things that make me like this game a lot. There's a scene I just got to early on where a female character joins and Reyn says she should stay back and let him and Shulk fight the monsters. She gets a bit angry and explains that she's an experienced combat medic and she can pull her weight. Reyn's response is basically "a medic, awesome! I get hurt a lot!" That's it. No misogyny, no angst, just a quick misunderstanding and Reyn demonstrating that he's a big lug but not a pighead.

Unfortunately this "experienced combat medic" is dressed like she's heading to Ladies Night at the local country bar, but hey. Baby steps.

Yessss, I like these sorts of things too.

I also love how Shulk & Reyn stay positive with all this crazy poo poo going on, not once have I see either of them mope for longer than a couple seconds before the other snapped 'em out of it. I'm so glad this isn't another "..." mopey-teen story.

I need more party slots because I can't get rid of the Shulk & Reyn bro-fist experience and the medic is too helpful to switch out! I'm not even sure what role in a party Dunban is supposed to play. (Just hit the swamp area)

BabyRyoga posted:

Has anyone in this thread been playing the hidden "Dropkick level 75 monsters in Gaur Plains off the cliff, killing them instantly and collecting late game loot" minigame yet? You can do it around level 40 or so, if not sooner, and it's so satisfying. gently caress those drat Cliff Rats

Where have you been doing this and how? The sword stabbing push-back attack with Reyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Well I just got to the town on the top of the bionis and oh god there are so many TIMED QUESTS here, drat it! Those things always make me nervous and feel like I have to complete them right away before I do anything else story-wise.

Not that these won't be easy breezy since I exited the waist/butt swamp at level FOURTY. I think I'm a bit overleveled. I sat in Colony 9 killing some level 39-ish monsters in a cave because they dropped pretty nice gear. Breezed past the area up til getting to the bionis' head because I fuckin' hate JUNGLES ugh. Personal thing ever since diablo 2 I think. Jungles just instantly make me want to blitz past the area. I guess eventually I'll head back there though to mop up the quests and murder all the monsters who were too high level for me to fight.

Once I got Melia I decided to try the little trick you can pull with her that someone else mentioned in the bionis leg lake area you can use her sleep ability + spear breaker to boot lvl 79 enemies off cliffs, which kills them. gained six levels doing that too, and got some "Lancelot" leg/foot gear and some "Rex cuisses" which attach a couple tailpipes and an engine to Reyn's rear end? I dunno, I just could not make him wear something so ridiculous looking. I also ended up getting a unique sword with EXP/AP+ for Dunban, but I don't ever use Dunban despite everybody saying he is pretty rad. Just feels wrong to not use Shulk, Reyn & Sharla. Of course the game is just THROWING Dunban swords at me like it is screaming "USE HIM, USE DUNBAN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" No game, it is always Reyn time.

In addition to the cool armor and some weaponry for Riki/Dunban/Melia (form party two and fight alongside us, geez), I also got some crystals from those guys. Turns out 150 is the maximum you can gem STR up to on a guy, which can be reached with two gems. Also you can hit 100% topple resistance with a single gem. Make sure you Mega-heat (how to ->)hit 300% which is hidden after you hit 200% aka HEAT level, usually requires luck(Fevers/Bromance boosts) + two high canisters you've boosted a few times. when you make gems! Not only do you get TWO gems but they are maxed out in stats!

Dangit timed quests, I was in a story mood, and now I have to do all these.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Happysafer posted:

I bought this game, and I'm enjoying it, but I wanted to agree 100% with the Kotaku review. I don't get what the level of hype around this game is, and the giant pain in the rear end that is inventory management is really bringing down my enjoyment of the game.

It's nearly impossible to determine the best equipment for my characters, gem crafting is a chore that I don't even need to bother with,(there isn't way to upgrade gems, right?) and I've been pretty under leveled for every boss. I give 2 or 3 tries, realize I can't win, go back and grind out some sub quests and then kill the boss. Boring.

I do love the look of the game and the music is really sweet. I only bought the game because I was afraid I'd never be able to find it if I decided I wanted to play it later. I'd say give the game a shot if you're interested, but this isn't a must have game by any stretch.

That Kotaku review is a loving heap. YES you should do Gem crafting, jesus christ. Just shoot for 200 or 300% instead of 100%, you will be so glad you did it. MEGA-HEAT, my friend. Also "Failure" in gem crafting is the key to success.

As far as equipment goes, Blue numbers Good. Red number Bad. You maybe have to count the numbers a little bit? The tank should probably have high physical defense? More slots is mo' better usually? It is pretty simple, its not like you are calculating out some kind of dps formula. This weapon does more damage, this one has more block or slots or something, which is better for what you want your guy to do?

You realize you can sort your inventory in a whole bunch of ways right? Default view is based on WHEN you got stuff, so the old trash is always at the back of the list. Find the point where old lovely gear starts and just mash A to sell all the crappy old bunnit crystals (only inv section that ever fills up for me really) you have, armor/weaponry is easy to keep track of and sell too, but then I'm always looking at whatever new crap I got from monsters.

I'm also not sure how you are underleveled, I'm like 15 levels above the monsters where I am in the story right now. Did you do any quests? I mean if you think of quests as just "grinding out" levels, and you're just breezing through areas without lending a hand to anybody (doing quests raises your affinity in an area), yeah you might end up underleveled maybe?

I suppose if you skipped hunting down every interesting unique monster, ignored every quest, and dodged around all the monsters you possibly could, yes you would be underleveled. But that just sounds like trying to blitz the whole game just for the story, like you are taking a hammer to the tasty candy outer shell and licking up the gooey sweet center.

Karthe posted:

I was in Satorl Marsh when I was given the quest to kill the unique giant bird mob . Unfortunately I'd killed it on the way to get the quest since I didn't know any better. How long does it take for unique mobs to respawn?

Save then load near the place he hangs out. Save + Load respawns all the critters in an area including the unique mobs (usually, sometimes they refuse to spawn once or twice) Also that monster is only around in the daytime

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I think what he's referring to is the fact that the equipment menu shows you which stats are going up or down...but not by how much. If you could easily see before and after stats it'd be a lot better, but for now I just ask myself if there's more blue than red when I highlight a given piece of equipment.

While I agree having a little number saying up by 12 or down by 30 would be helpful, it isn't THAT big of a deal to move the cursor UP one space to read your normal stats, round the numbers, then look at the stat changes. Or only just look at the hundreds and tens places on the numbers. The guy said "Nearly impossible" like it was some insurmountable task, which is just bullshit.

Now heres a weird thing; the game favors high end damage over low end damage (opposite from my preferences), so sometimes I have to double check those red numbers to see if they are really "bad" for me. Attack stability gem Vs Attack plus gems do this for example.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

PureRok posted:

Well, in any case, here's what my party looks like. Any recommendations?

What spider boss did you encounter that was so tough? There are some high level monsters hanging out in remote areas in Colony 9, they aren't "bosses" though, just optional enemies for later on.

I guess the best suggestion I can give you is keep playing? Your dudes are only level 14.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

PureRok posted:

Well, this one had a cutscene and stole off with Reyn and seems to be required to progress.

Are you using the Shield art the game teaches you about at the start of the fight? You need it to block the super move of the boss, Arachno Crush.
Just keep Shulk's talent gauge full and pop shield whenever you see Arachno Crush appear on a timer bar at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Been trying to get myself in the mood to start the game back up and continue from where I left off (I got sidequest fatigue :( ), when I stumbled upon this neat little retro thing on youtube while listening to the game's music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1mnBjSGJ8 somebody made an 8-bit version of the Mechanical Rhythm song.

About how far into the game did I leave off at anyway? I was on fallen arm doing sidequests for the town, attempting to get every single timed sidequest done before I advance any further.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 14, 2013

• Locked thread