Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
One of the thousand reasons this game is awesome is that death isn't so much a penalty as it is a slap on the wrist. Once you embrace that mentality you won't feel bad at all about punching level 70 gorillas right in the face or jumping off the edge of the world.

When I got to the edge of the world for the first time, I spent a moment taking in the view, then jumped right the gently caress off to see what would happen...and I died. And by dying that way, I got an achievement, which gave me XP, which leveled me up. All it cost me was a five minute walk back from the last landmark.

XENOBLADE IS A GAME WHERE DYING CAN GET YOU LEVELS HOLY poo poo

Plus it's the best monster murder simulator since FFXII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, at one point I had a better set of medium pants for her that looked reasonable. Then I took off running and noticed that they were actually assless chaps. What the hell, Japan.
I'm ashamed to say that I've noticed she has jiggle physics.

Still, in a game where male characters can run around bare-chested flaunting their washboard abs, I'd say this game is pretty even handed with fan service. I haven't had Sharla very long but I'm more annoyed by her characterization being so centered around her relationships with men than anything else. (she's still awesome though, medic with a big fuckoff rifle, hell yeah)

Xenoblade is a giant pile of giggles but it ain't perfect, and one of those imperfections is that, as a video game, it's best bet for success is still to be a male power fantasy.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Varia suit with a corset.
This is a hilarious mental image. Samus Aran doing burlesque.

EDIT: gently caress this game, I wanna get of work and play it RIGHT NOW. That's why I keep posting in this thread :(

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

Also, it is Reyn Time. At the tone it will be Reyn Time. Daily exercises will be carried out at Reyn Time.
Reyn is the best meathead bro in videogames.

Non-spoiler Xenoblade awesome - I love how many problems in this game are solved by jumping into a river. Being attacked by a level 70 rear end in a top hat hawk? Escape by jumping into the river.

poo poo going down at the town across the river? gently caress going back through the caves, jump into the river and swim on over in a hurry.

On some stupid plot-enforced solo mission through a field of hungry monsters? gently caress 'em, jump in the river and swim around them.

Jump into the river.

edit: ^^^ Can someone go into the appeal of Skies of Arcadia? I didn't think it was bad, but I felt it was kinda generic and anime. I got bored and never finished.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 11, 2012

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Ragequit posted:

I jumped in to the river last night and a bunch of level 70 fish ravaged my body.
I didn't say it solved every problem.

On one hand, level 70 motherfuckers all over the maps gets a little annoying when you're exploring the beautiful and expansive giant corpse and then one pops out nowhere and splatters your face. On the other hand, it makes me look forward to getting to 70 myself, just so I can come back and reap sweet revenge.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not seeing the same appeal that some of you are - the ones that have put in over 100 hours and still aren't bored of it.

I'm thinking a lot of this word-of-mouth hype may have been fueled by a need to prove Nintendo wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game with well designed gameplay and incredible music, but I doubt it's going to convert non-JRPG gamers or anything.
It's a matter of taste. You're right that it's not going to convert someone whose main menu is Call of Duty and Gears. At the same time, it does of a lot of things that those already into RPGs never knew they needed.

No grinding.
Huge, explorable world balanced with clear direction.
Characters who still follow tropes, but aren't complete caricatures.
A bazillion OPTIONAL things to do on the side, with no story penalty for ignoring them.
Interesting, innovative mythology that's weaved into the story rather than pulled from an in game dictionary.
Fun battle mechanics.
Jumping into rivers from high gently caress-off cliffs.

It may not be game of the year for everyone but it's a solid contender for jRPG of the last ten years.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Dying in this game is not a huge deal either, so if you get railed by an overleveled monster you have a few minutes of backtracking at most as a penalty. Final Fantasy VI actually did the "keep your EXP if you die" trick before but Xenoblade also lets you keep drops, collectibles and finished quests. It's awesome.
Some of the features make no goddamn sense from a story perspective. Fall of the edge of the world and die? Keep your exp and respawn. It took like 10 days to get to the top of the Bionis' leg? Warp back in a second. Too late in the day? gently caress it, wind back the sun.

But ALL THESE FEATURES ARE AWESOME. I just think it's funny how you couldn't possibly justify any of these things with regards to the story/setting.

Also, in the forest level, there's big (jump into the) river that ends in a waterfall that flows right off the edge of the world. And as you get closer, the current picks up. I felt so bad as my characters swam against the current in a futile effort to stave off (temporary) death :(

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Ha ha, love the new title. Seriously the open world with no invisible walls is one of my favorite parts of this game. I was fighting some bird jackass on a rope bridge and it slam attacked me, knocking me into the river. It was like five seconds of

FFFUUUUUCccccckkkk splash

I've haven't played a game in a while that tickled the kid in me this much, especially a jRPG.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Does Melia ever get a de-agro power? She really is an engine of death once you get the right sequence of arts down, but anything that manages to survive her nova is going to eat her alive.

What is the sequence to get melia to be an engine of death? I get that she can summon elementals and release them for damage, but it seems to cap out around 1000 damage while shulk and riki can do hilariously more than that, 6000 or so. What do I do with melia to get her to catch up? They're all around level 36, for reference.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Argh, I can't beat the pair of bosses at the end of the tomb. Any suggestions?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Tanks for advice re: melia usage and double boss. I actually beat the double boss through proper melia usage! Fun fact: The attack-dodging enemies you start to run into around the time Melia joins are NOT able to dodge her summons! :haw:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
How many people worked on this game, and how much time did it take? Between the game systems and enemy variety and bigass areas, there's just so much drat stuff in this gam. I'm not even halfway through and I've played more than two games worth of content. This poo poo is huge.

edit: Not to mention that every cutscene is fully voiced.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Nope, just change Reyn out as soon as you can to get away from his atrocious cockney accent
Then how would you know when IT'S REYN TIME?

I'm sure it's come up in the six hundred or so posts I missed, but does anyone know how to get strong enough to handle the level 90-ish encounters in the post-game area in Tephra Cave? My guys are leveled to the mid-80s and I don't want to keep getting creamed :(

Also, where are theses level 100+ superbosses I keep hearing about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

axeil posted:

I'm still having some issue with Chain Attacks. Right now my party all has level 2 affinity with each other but when I do a chain attack I still typically only get 3 turns. My usual sequence is:

1. Initiate Chain Attack
2. Have Riki use something red, usually the one that causes bleed.
3. Have Dunban use something red. If Riki didn't cast the one that causes bleed, use that attack.
4. Have Melia release a summon.
5. If the sequence repeats have Riki use his other red attack since I can never get more than 4 attacks.

Is this the right way to go about doing things? Everyone says Riki's DOT attacks are amazing in Chain Attacks but if I can't get a chain above 3 or 4 due to low affinity should I focus on just maximizing my damage as quick as possible, DOT be damned?

Also, if I like the party I've got now do I need to switch to allow everyone else's affinity to grow? The extra skills are helpful but if it's not that helpful then I'll stop throwing in Sharla and Reyn. Shulk can come along if I need Monado skills though.

For your chain attack sequence, like the above poster said, DOT attacks should be done late in a chain rather than early. The DOT is affected by a multiplier, which it looks like you know how to build up. It you start a chain with Riki's bleed attack, it'll have no multiplier, but at the end it'll be 4x.

Don't worry about DOT attacks in chains unless you're fighting an enemy with gobs of health. If you're fighting several little guys, try AOE attacks or high damage single attacks instead. Remember that every enemy you take out in a chain fills up your party guage a third, so the more you finish off the closer you are to another chain. I once had three chains back to back, it was hilarious.

Increase your chain length with natural male enhancement! sorry

Longer chains do result from better affinity. I'm pretty sure some skills encourage longer chains, so try to learn/link those. From this thread it sounds like most players are able to get some really long chains going mid-to-late game.

• Locked thread