Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Got this game yesterday and spent all day playing it. I'm 9 hours in and only just left the starting town. Holy hell. Granted that's just because I am easily distracted by shiny objects, and I'm not complaining at all.

I'm getting the hang of the combat too. Also, the voice acting is so British, it hurts. :allears:

Loving it so far, looking forward to playing it again today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man, I really gained a new appreciation for this game this weekend. I had to be away from my Wii for a couple days because of family time. I played another JRPG on my 3DS instead (DQ9), and man, the whole time I was wishing I was playing Xenoblade instead. It just streamlines things so much. I'm spoiled! It's just so hard going back to other JRPGs, and DQ9 is one of the better ones!

Needless to say I'm happy to be back home with my Wii.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If we can ask dumb questions about quests, I've got one.

There are two giving me trouble. One is to get some kind of nectar from skeeters in Tephira Cave. Skeeters are rare in that cave, and nothing is dropping any kind of nectar, just insect parts. Is there a trick to it?

The other says I have to find an enemy at the Sky Stage. I've been all over that drat place and not a single thing is showing up. I found the monster that only appears during a thunderstorm and this one won't show up?! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I keep getting distracted by sidequests. Last night, I popped back to Colony 9 to finish off one I'd left, then spent the next two hours picking up more. I think I have a problem. :suicide:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man, I really liked Reyn before, but he just catapulted himself straight into "totally awesome" territory! :swoon:

He just made a totally sweet catch in the Ether Mines.

Man! So cool. It's Reyn time all the time, baby!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What's with this game and having so many beautiful environments? Ever since the marsh every time I go to a new area I just have to spend some time panning the camera around staring at the scenery because it's just. so. loving. PRETTY! :swoon:

And then I have to change the time so I can see what it looks like during the day/night. Anyone else do this?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Silvain posted:

Holy gently caress the views you get in this game. I'm on top of a waterfall at the moment and the realization that I ran through everything that I see is pretty fantastic.

I've been having the exact same reaction. Everything in the game is just so darn pretty. :allears: And it gets even better, my friend. It gets even better!

So, I settled down to play after dinner last night, and got through all the poo poo that happens at Prison Island. And I... am just dumfounded. This was me the whole time:

What? What?! WHAAAAT?! I think I was doing a combination of :what: :aaa: and :psypop: all at once. Oh my GOD those were some awesome plot twists! One, I saw coming, and I was feeling a bit smug about it, then the rest got dumped right in my lap and... I'm just speechless. I didn't want to stop playing! But it was after 11 and I had to get up at 7 the next morning. Stupid sleep schedule! :argh:

And now people are saying that's not even the biggest mindfuck plot twist?! Jesus Christ, where can we go from here?

(Don't answer that. I'll find out for myself!)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tipme posted:

I'm only up to the Marsh atm, but is there going to be more Ether oriented people? Like right now, all I really have is Thunder Bullet from Sharla to deal with Nebulae.

Yes, you'll get one soon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Thought I'd pop in for some help. I have a side quest that's confusing me. I'm supposed to find a Red Pollen Orb in "an area relating to Nopon," which I figured was Frontier Village, but I've been up and down that place and I haven't been able to find it. Am I missing something?

It wouldn't be a big deal, but it's one of those timed sidequests and I don't know when it expires. :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

I just got to the point where you get the 7th character! Holy cow, poo poo got real.

I just got to that point last night, myself, and holy poo poo! I did not want to stop playing.

Alectai posted:

Yes, it has, in fact, gotten a bit more Real, but there is still more Real for poo poo to Get.

I'd say you're probably at about 50% poo poo Reality at this point.

And then I hear poo poo like this and I'm scared now. :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Re: Alcamoth

That place annoys me, too. The annoying part for me is not finding the NPCs I got quests from (between the quest screen and the affinity chart, I can usually find people in a reasonable amount of time), it's doing the quests themselves. I don't know if it's just me, but with the way Eryth Sea is set up, I just have a devil of a time finding the enemies I need. I don't remember if it was Floating Reef 5 or 6 that had this particular variety of stupid monster on it, never mind trying to hunt down the uniques! :argh:

I finally managed to leave quests alone that aren't timed as a "I'll take care of it when I feel like it" thing, but all the quests I've gotten in Alcamoth are timed. :sigh:

And I've been doing sidequesting lately, because the plot finally caught up to my over-inflated levels that resulted from my obsessive sidequesting (I regret nothing!)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Quest question! The quest "For my Loved One" has me collecting an item from the Distant Fingertip during a thunderstorm. I'm there, it's raining, that giant bird is gone, and I can't find the bloody thing. Is it just something I have to keep loading the game to get to spawn, or is there some trick? I've re-loaded the game half a dozen times and it's not appearing.

EDIT: nevermind. It wasn't actually a thunderstorm. :downs: This game is tricky.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 23, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

Also the way people talked about what happens at Prison Island in this thread I was expecting way more mindfuckery than a couple revelations that were obvious to anyone paying attention immediately after Colony 6, and something else happening that hasn't been developed enough to really register any kind of reaction. Oh, and the most boring dad in the world died so I guess I'm supposed to feel things about that except all it means to me is I get to stop running around that awful city so much.

I guess the point of this post is that anyone who's playing this should de-hype themselves about the story 'cause so far, after an excellent beginning, it's been pretty stock standard anime fantasy game stuff. Maybe it'll get more interesting again in the future, but people are acting like what I've seen so far is making their heads explode with how novel and well-realized it is, when really, no, it's not.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying it's bad or anything...

I'll weigh in on this, since I just got to that part myself. For me, it wasn't so much that the revelation came out of left field. I had guessed that they're peeeeeooooopleeeeee already. What caught me off guard was specifically who was inside. Figuring out that they're human is significantly less of a stretch than they're dead people

I also thought that the character's reaction to it was mostly reasonable. Up until then, their primary motivation is revenge, for Fiora, specifically. After that point, they switch gears, to obsessively chasing her down to get her back. They know that she's alive, and nothing is going to stop them from getting her back. They're even more driven than before. It's not so much that they're happy, just motivated.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Regarding the unique caterpillar in Tephra cave, I had already sidequested like a maniac before that point, and I had died plenty of time to unique monsters. I tried fighting the thing a couple times before I discovered the side path. It's really not that big of a deal. If something isn't working out, you look at the problem from another angle. This applies to real life as well as video games, guys.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah but isn't it going to be satisfying when you're high level and you can sweep through and steamroll those things you've been tiptoeing around all this time? :allears: I know I'm looking forward to that!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What are the prerequisites for unlocking Riki's 4th Skill Tree? I know where the quest-giver is, but the quest isn't popping up. I have 4-star affinity with the area, if that helps.

While I'm at it, does unlocking Reyn's involve reconstruction Colony 6 at all?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alright, well I guess I'll just have to quest more in Frontier Village for Riki's thing.

Dumb quest question! I'm supposed to talk to a Nopon named Pelupelu for a quest. The spreadsheet says he's active between 6 and 3, and he hangs out "Far NE on the stairs." I have been up and down the place he's supposed to be and I don't see the little puffball. What am I dong wrong?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

He spends half his time on the top floor of the tree near that divination hut, and the evening outside on the stairs leading up to the pond on the roof.

Aha! This was where I went wrong. Plus I kind of forgot that 6-3 does not mean 6am to 3pm :downs:

Curse us for not using 24-hour time! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I was home sick from work today, so I got to start the long weekend early! :v: That means I'll pick up this game again and see if I can finish. It's not that I don't like it (I definitely do!), I've just been distracted from it the past couple of weeks.

My next objective is this mysterious "core" area, so I guess that's very near the end!

I'm just getting the last of the 4th Skill Trees and I should be ready to soldier on!

I say this, but every time I say "I'll just to X, and then advance the plot," I end up running around sidequesting for 5 hours.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention I beat this game this weekend! :neckbeard:

What a loving ride goddamn.

Gotta love that twist at the Mechonis Core, and no, I don't mean Dickson is evil. I suspected something was off there. No, I mean Shulk never existed blah blah, wait... where have I heard that kind of stuff before, oh yeah, Final Fantasy VII, great job guys. It turned out to be bullshit there, too!

Final thoughts: Zanza is an insufferable, arrogant, anime douche and it was so satisfying smacking his rear end down.. I brought Shulk back into the party for it. His Monado shenanigans are just too useful to pass up. I swear Zanza's[/spoilers] cronies were using a [spoiler]Chain Attack on me. Is that a thing? Can they do that?

I already saved my new game+ data, but I'm not going to play it for a long time. I still have plenty of quests to clear out! I'm working on Colony 6 right now, and I just realized one of the collectibles I need is found in Sword Valley. :ohdear: Folks have mentioned such things can be found around Colony 6. Any particular place, or will I just have to be patient/lucky?

All in all, fantastic game! Got terribly anime towards the end, but the other 99.9% was absolutely phenomenal so I can forgive it!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

WaffleStomp posted:

How widespread is the issue where certain older wii models won't read this disc? I'm planning on picking this up today but my Wii was bought a few weeks after launch. I never had any problems reading Brawl, which was dual layer, but am I at a high risk of encountering a 'cannot play disc' error with this?

My Wii isn't a launch model, but it's pretty old. I think I got it ~6 months after launch, and it plays this game with no problems whatsoever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also (late game spoilers), I'm being told I have to head off to the Mechonis Core now......uh...isn't that supposed to be the last dungeon? Because I'm only 45 hours into what people keep coming in here and saying was a 120 hour experience, and while I haven't really put much effort into Rebuilding colony 6 or any other out of the way side quests because goddammit the game keeps telling me how important the main plot is and there haven't really been any good 'you may now faff around for a bit' points I would think the game would take up a bit more time than this - to say nothing of how many subplots are going to have to get wrapped the hell up in a hurry if I'm at the endgame like I think I am.

Have I been doing something wrong here, or should I keep playing?

You're not quite at the last dungeon, but you're getting close. Once you go to the next area, all timed sidequests in Alcamoth will expire.

Consider this your "You may now faff around for a bit" notice.

But, seriously, it's a JRPG. Any time is a good time to go faff around. Go have some fun. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

BUT OH WELL I'M OVERTHINKING IT AREN'T I.

:spergin: aside, I'll try and put that aside and go do whatever I haven't hideously outleveled by now.

Or, hell, maybe I'll just start another playthrough and space things out a bit better, I've had some big hiatuses in this run anyway.

You kind of are. :) The way JRPGs generally work is that you're free to go faff around and do whatever at any point. It's not like in Skyrim where the "radiant AI" could get an important quest NPC killed. Nope. That doesn't happen. The monster out to destroy the city? He'll wait until you get there to get busy. Every time. Unless you see a timer in the corner, you have as long as you want to do anything.

In Xenoblade, some sidequests are timed, but only in the sense that completing them will be closed off once you've advanced the story to a certain point. And generally that point is fairly obvious.

As for starting another playthrough, you might as well finish this one first. You're pretty close, and it'd be worth it to see the ending. That way, you can take your time on your next playthrough without having to worry about being spoilered on the endgame stuff.

That's just my two-cents. Feel free to do whatever you think is best.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Speed chest (purchased from merchants), with Agility Up, Double Attack, and Haste for gems. If you find weapons with enough slots Critical up is also good. Phys Def Down and similar gems that activate on hit can be very effective. Activate Haste aura at the start of a fight and buzzsaw the hell out of everything. It even makes a decent tanking strategy, because you will be hitting things so many times that you will pull agro easily using auto attacks and with Agility maxed Seven is fairly hard to hit.

If only the Speed gear didn't look like that... :negative:

There was a speed armor I found that didn't make me feel dirty for looking at it. One of the Nopon Merchants in Colony 6 had it. I had to get the commerce level fairly high for her to appear, but it was worth it to get Seven some decent armor.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PureRok posted:

Xenoblade just arrived. Any beginner tips or things I should know going into this? Any newbie traps to avoid?

I have one to add. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need the usual trifecta of tank/healer/DPS in your party. You don't. Change up your party! Each character brings something different to the table and it's worth trying them all out. You can even not have the main protagonist in your party!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't remember exactly, but I think I rolled in with Shulk, Seven, and Ricki, at about level 80, I want to say.

It was hard but not frustratingly hard. It still felt satisfying when I kicked that arrogant douche Zanza's teeth in. Get your anime bullshit out of my RPG! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Question on some timed quests. I just made a save right up before the boss of Mechonis Core and the events after you beat that lock you out of all quests in Alcamoth. Am I locking myself out of anything awesome like extra skill trees or whatnot by completing that boss section? I'm just so burned out on sidequests at the moment. Also, since my save is right there, the fast travel is blocked out. If I were to go back and take Junks back to the village does fast travel get turned back on so I can go do the sidequesting, or did I make my save too far in and I've just got to roll with it now?

You'll never be locked out of anything major until you pass the Point of no Return, which is not where you are. Dunban will warn you when you get that far.

None of the timed quests in Alcomoth relate to extra skill trees, or anything major like that.

You can still fast travel after you clear Mechonis Core, so don't worry about that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

C-Euro posted:

You'll get better gems eventually so don't worry about it, just roll with what you have. Though yes, I just stuff Shulk full of gems that increase his attacking prowess (some Agility gems too). I never really used Muscle Up gems though, but I guess in the early game you're fine using them.

Give Shulk Haste and Double Attack gems, and some agility for good measure. Turn him into a human blender. :gibs:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tobias Grant posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on how to use the other characters? My main party for my entire first playthough was Shulk, Carla, and Dunban, and I just can't figure out how to use characters like Melia and Riki very effectively.

Melia's a magical nuke. Load her up with +Thunder gems and +Ether gems, first off. Her "summon" abilities store up buffs at first, but you can fire them off for an offensive spell by using her Talent Art (which is always useable, unlike other characters'). Her summons get dismissed on a last in, first out basis.

Basically, here's what you do. Pick a buffing spell of your choice, I usually go with Summon Aqua or Wind. Then Summon Bolt and Summon Copy. Now you have 1 Aqua/Wind spirit and 2 Bolt Spirits. Use her Talent Art (middle button) to fire off those two Bolt Spirits, rinse, repeat.

Note you can also use that Talent Art during a Chain attack and it'll count for any "color" during the combo. You can use her to Chain together ridiculous combos.

She also has a healing spell that sacrifices some of her own HP to heal someone. Handy since she doesn't need her HP much anyway. She also has a Break/Topple combo that you should consider putting on her.

The only other thing to watch out for is she'll draw agro like mad. Make sure she's with someone with some Agro+ gems (Dunban or Reyn work well).

Rikki works a bit different. He's somewhat of a tank, and somewhat of a damage-dealer. He has stupidly high HP, and some great support abilities. Where he really shines is in his damage over time abilties, or DOTs. He gets Bleed, Burn, Poison, etc enducing abilities. What you want to do with him his load him up with Bleed/Burn/Poison+ gems and Ether+ gems, maybe some Def+ if you can spare the space.

Unleash some of those DOT abilities during a Chain Attack, preferably at the end, and watch the damage rack up.

He also gets a handy full-party heal spell, and he can give the party gauge a boost with "Happy Happy." Oh, and he can also Topple things without breaking them.

Rikki's a little monster, is what I'm saying. He's great.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Thundarr posted:

To follow up on Trasson's #4: there is pretty much nothing in the game short of giant monsters many levels higher than you that can survive a concerted DOT chain attack launched by both Melia and Riki at the same time. It almost feels like cheating to make them melt so fast. Almost.

Oh man. I haven't touched this game in months but I seriously need to try this. I never thought of using Melia as a DOT bitch along with Riki!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I decided to try and get everyone's 5th Skill Tree. Right now I'm working on Sharla's, but I hit a snag. The pre-requisite quests are a series involving a family of High Entia. I invited one daughter to Colony 6, without realizing you could only get one. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, since you can do the quest with either. I did the "Family Secrets" quest, and now Oleksiy is supposed to give me "Betrothal Test" for the next step, only he's not doing it.

During the previous quest, I had to talk to the father, Don Argentis, a bunch of times, and evidently I was supposed to answer "They must show commitment" for the last question. I didn't.

Did I screw myself out of getting Sharla's 5th Skill Tree? :saddowns:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, this weekend I cleared out (I think) the last of the things I had to do. I have everyone's 5th Skill Trees and I finally, finally finished restoring Colony 6. For me, the sticking point was not the Ice Cabbages, nor was it the Black Liver Beans (I found enough of those in about half an hour). No, the tough one was Lewesia Silver. Oh, an Agniratha drop, you say? Oh wait you can trade it with Berrijammy... but only after she moves to Colony 6 and only when you have 5-star affinity. :suicide:

That left me with going over the place with a fine toothed comb looking for quests. Got them though, and my Lewesia Silver!

I don't know if I have much else to do now. The quests seem to have dried up. Never did find that Shimmering Forte, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

One of my favorite parties is Riki/Dunban/Melia (with me controlling Melia). Make sure Dunban is gemmed out for maximum agiltiy, and give Riki some Burn/Bleed/Poison Plus gems.

Seriously, those three work together ridiculously well, even against bosses. Give it a shot! Kick Sharla to the curb. She kind of sucks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Holy poo poo. I come home from work to this?! :aaa:

I wondered what could possibly have happened in this thread... and I am not disappointed. Nope, not disappointed at all! My Wii U purchase is officialy justified! (Not that it wasn't already, but I'm feeling even better about it now.)

poo poo. I haven't even touched New Game + yet. I'm still collecting art manuals! I think my save just topped 130 hours. I might need an intervention....

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

I'm walking round my house yelling 'I'm so glad I don't want to play Xenoblade Chronicles now' hoping my disc will jump out at me and be all 'HAHA sod's law I am here now'. I'll wrestle it into my wii explaining the concept of reverse psychology.

I've actually narrowed it's location down to inside another Wii I do not know the location of. At least a Wii is easier to find than a disc!

Well, I hope you find it! If/when you get the LP up and running, do be sure to let us know here! I often forget to check Let's Play for new stuff. I might not stumble across it for weeks if you just put it up all quiet-like.

I really need to find the last of those advanced art books...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I finally hunkered down and got the last of the advanced art manuals today. Then I went and stomped Zanza's anime cliché face in in about 2 minutes. Being level 99 will do that, I guess! What an arrogant twat that guy is. Well, now my New Game + data is safely saved, waiting for me to delve into it one of these days.

This game was by far and away the best one I played last year. Well, well worth the purchase price and then some! Easily justifies my Wii purchase, way back in '06. What a great ride! I'm eagerly awakening Monolithe's followup on the Wii U.

Thank you, thank you, Louisgod and everyone who recommended this game and hyped it so hard. If not for you, I would have missed out on this gem of a game, and that would have been tragic!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

:stare: My god someone actually played this game without fast travel? That is madness.

I don't recall seeing anyone who didn't know how to fast travel at all, but we've had plenty of people who didn't know there are two ways to do it. Lots of people never realized that you can travel between zones through the map menu, and still others didn't know you can fast travel within a zone by pressing "-" to bring up the local map.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I think my favorite Riki quote is his end-of-battle quote with Melia and Sharla:

Riki: Riki wish Melly was real big sister!
Melia: Awww. But what about Sharla?
Riki: Sharla more like mumma. One mumma enough!
Sharla: Now, wait just a-!

Absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Starting over. Not happy with what I did before. At the moment I'm going through what I actually want to show in the LP and working out what has to be in video, what is screenshot, and what I can jabber on about when required. I just lost my oomph before because I wasn't putting out something I was happy with, and loosing oomph meant I was putting out even more videos and quality that I didn't like.

The extra time means there's alot more coverage of the game out there as well so I can more easily pick the quest lines and particular people to show off by reading about it, rather than having to play through hundreds of hours just to choose the content.

I have HUNDREDS of Dug avatars made and a special guest avatar too.

Might even scare cam my dog.

I am so ridiculously excited for this. You have no idea. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

I'm giving xenoblade a run through as both stress relief before exams, and as a pre-run for the LP. God I can't believe how good this game is even when I know what's going on and what's going to happen. There's enough side quests, writing and characters to keep it fresh.

I loving love Riki.

I know exactly what you mean. I always felt so relaxed and happy playing it. It's just such a good game.

• Locked thread