Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
God drat the GB quick look makes this look like a straight-up must-buy. Like they said, 'a JRPG that "gets it"'... that's a great tagline. So, question.

How must motion control is there? Not that I have any problem with it, but if I play it on my PC for HD goodness, I can't use my wiimote since I have no bluetooth. Will I be able to get by with keyboard alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Man, sleep is great. It's like time travel. I'm gonna get to go to sleep and magically wake up well into tomorrow! Probably with Xenoblade having already arrived. :3: Stupid Nintendo and their week long shipping... anyone else getting theirs today?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Holy monkeyfuck, it was SO GODDAMN WORTH IT to spend all that time figuring out how to run Xenoblade on Dolphin. Looks amazing. I got it running with 16xAF, 4xSSAA, and double native resolution (similar to 1080p). There's a bit of stuttering occasionally in the crazy massive battles this game has, but I imagine if I just dropped it down to 1.5x upscaling it'd probably sort that out. For me the eye-loving beauty is worth the performance hit. (though of course the textures are gonna stay low-res).

So, here's how to run this on Dolphin!

First is getting the copy of the game. You may have heard that you can't play the game directly off the disc on a PC. This is correct. You're going to have to dump it. There are a number of tools you can use to do this, but the trick is that none of them work. Well, they do work, just not for you. You literally need one of two specific LG drives to be able to dump Wii discs. Since you don't have them, you'll need to hack your Wii to hijack its drive to do the work for you, and get the image onto an SD card or USB drive or something. You may be able to come up with an easier way to get the image, but I sure wasn't able to. Cough.

Ok, now you have the image. You need a special build of Dolphin for this game to make it work. Here is the link: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356&pid=169677#pid169677

In case that does not work (those forums seem flaky as poo poo) here are the links directly:
x64 - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-z4n7-OKal-M2FiNzdiMzUtYWNlZi00ZTcwLWIxMWQtOGZiMzMxYjBhNjcz&hl=en_US
x86 - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-z4n7-OKal-NTc1ZjA5MmMtN2YwNC00NTNhLThlOTAtMTQzNjBiMGNlMDMz&hl=en_US

Random tips for configuration: I heard some people suggesting Per-Pixel Lighting under the "Enhancement" tab of the graphics menu, but for me this turns music off for some reason. Anisitropic filtering doesn't seem to hit performance much, so go ahead and ratchet that up.

This game does need either nunchuk or CC, so go into those settings and set that up how you like. The second or third page of the manual has the controls, so use that as a reference. Hint: "palette" = menu

Good luck! Goddamn I can't wait to get back into this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

HenryEx posted:

There's a much more recent build in the same topic you linked (more than 400 revisions newer) with the same patch applied. I suggest you link to that one.

For some reason my brain has a hard time processing that thread. Finding that link was the best I could do. :eng99: Can you link me to the post with the newer one?

Comparison shots: http://imgur.com/a/SKg09 Make sure to view full-size. As you might imagine it looks even better in motion.

For reference, this is at 1280x1056 native resolution running at a fullscreen resolution of 1366x768 (so I guess some quality is lost there, I'm running it on a 720p TV so that's why) with 4xSSAA, 16xAF, and Per-Pixel lighting. I'm on 4GB DDR3, Intel Core i3 560 Dual-Core 3.33 GHz, Radeon 4850HD 512MB. I mean, fairly modest machine, actually. Good luck to anyone else working on this!

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 17, 2012

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Here, made a side-by-side:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Really all the patching and fixes and such are confusing to me :corsair:

I just went to the main download page and downloaded the most recent stable build of Dolphin. How is that different/worse than a pre-patched Xenoblade-specific version, if any, and with all the rev numbers floating around, how do we know which combination of releases and patches are the most current?

If that one works for you, then huzzah! Most people have really hosed up audio problems - stuttering & crackling, poo poo like that. If you're good, then you're good. The link I posted has all the patches/fixes/poo poo applied already, no more tricky than running the normal version of Dolphin or any other emulator. Just unzip & run.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Did anyone else 100% the collectibles for the first area as soon as they got to the town? Oh god I'm 2:35 in and I still haven't done the first objective. This game is gonna sink some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

Right now all I need to get is the Ready Coil. Finally found a bunch of Rumble Coal last time I was there. I assume leaving/coming back or saving/reloading causes the collectibles to respawn and that's the easiest way to check.

From my tiny amount of experience in Colony 9, it does seem like certain areas are more likely to have rare spawns than others. I spent like 20-30 minutes looking for the last item in the set, a bug, and eventually I found a little cave/tunnel with enemies that were like 30 levels higher than the rest, and I took a shot and ran through and grabbed a shiny dingle and, yup, it was the bug and I finished the area.

Also, seems like once you collect a given collectible, it will start appearing more often? Sure seems to be the case.

• Locked thread