Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Athena: Goddess of War in someways, was the second season of IRIS. In terms of the CEO's actions, I'm not sure what can be said or done on our part. I'm sure that none of us are defending the CEO.In terms of actions, do we boycott their music/movies? I am at a loss about what to do with this information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm through the first 4 eps of Rooftop Prince now and I'm enjoying the heck out of it do far. It's much more of a comedy than I expected after the first ep, which I like, but I was also enjoying the dramatic elements as well, and I hope more of that comes back in the upcoming episodes. The actress who plays the main girl's sister is just so good at being hateable.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
What would be some good introductory Korean dramas, do you guys think? I'm thinking of introducing a few to friends, but I don't want something that's overtly alien.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

futurememory posted:

What would be some good introductory Korean dramas, do you guys think? I'm thinking of introducing a few to friends, but I don't want something that's overtly alien.

If there's any Korean programming that's "overtly alien," I haven't come across it yet.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's the giant phone everyone has in Fashion King? (I'm on episode 6, someone stop me.)

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's the giant phone everyone has in Fashion King? (I'm on episode 6, someone stop me.)

I think it's the Samsung Galaxy Note. That's the only humongous phone I know of, and I think I saw its logo in the end credits once.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, samsung is going all-out with product placement. It is indeed the Galaxy Note, and Samsung has a massive marketing campaign ongoing in Korea. King 2 Hearts has everyone using the Note as well, and History of a Salaryman had Notes too.

They're trying to get rid of the idea that it's too big/awkward to use as a phone. So they try to get as many scenes of popular actors/actresses talking & bringing the massive phone to their ears when calling.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

futurememory posted:

My name is Kim Sam Soon, Soul Mate and The Woman Who Can't Marry are all relationship dramas with very little wackiness. All, in my opinion, are very good dramas.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Archer2338 posted:

Yeah, samsung is going all-out with product placement. It is indeed the Galaxy Note, and Samsung has a massive marketing campaign ongoing in Korea. King 2 Hearts has everyone using the Note as well, and History of a Salaryman had Notes too.

They're trying to get rid of the idea that it's too big/awkward to use as a phone. So they try to get as many scenes of popular actors/actresses talking & bringing the massive phone to their ears when calling.

Look how huge it is, made even bigger in tiny hands.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Not sure if this is the thread to post in, but dammmmnnnnn:

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/04/t-aras-eunjung-robbed-of-23000-euros-in-italy

quote:

T-ara‘s Eunjung has been robbed of a staggering, 23,000 Euros (~ $30,078 USD) while in Italy.

During T-ara’s stay in Italy, Eunjung was put in charge of managing the budget for T-ara and Core Content Media‘s new seven-member girl group.

It has been reported that on April 12th at 5PM, Central European Time, the group took a short break during their photo shoot at a cathedral square in Milano. At this time, Eunjung went to purchase some coffee when she was mugged, losing her handbag to a thief. Although 23,000 Euros were lost from the unfortunate incident, the members’ passports were kept by a different staff member, which is a huge relief.

Regarding the accident, Eunjung expressed grief and sadly stated, “I’m so sorry to T-ara and the other seven members. I will reimburse the money when I return to South Korea.” Meanwhile the other members expressed, “She did her best as our guide. She was robbed while she was working hard, so it’s ok.”

Eunjung also expressed her gratitude to her fellow members who comforted her after the accident, stating, “We were able to successfully complete the filming due to the other members who stood by and comforted me.”

However, one staff member revealed what happened behind the scenes. “After the filming was finished, Eunjung went back to the hotel and cried all night,” he stated.

I was under the impression that idols at least have their managers go with them everywhere and why the gently caress did anyone think it was a good idea to have 30k worth of cash in 1 purse (with the idols no less)? Someone's head is going to roll once they get back to Korea, knowing that insane CEO of theirs.

I'm bettin' she set that poo poo up so T-ara could buy food to actually eat. :v:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

That's a lot of loving money to have on hand...what the hell?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's my understanding that if you go to Europe, you're going to get loving robbed. It's like a legitimate profession over there.

Also somehow I'm sure this is going to be blamed on her and she will be punished accordingly. Maybe the money will come out of T-ara's paychecks or something stupid.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The handbag was full of nicely bound stacks of Euros, and some lip balm.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
That's why you should invest in Italian government bonds: cash is EVIL :colbert:

In Italy we can't even pay more than 1k euro in cash: you are forced to use checks.
Turists should be able to spend all they want in cash, though.

But going around with 23k euro in your purse is insane anyway.

Jamesman posted:

It's my understanding that if you go to Europe, you're going to get loving robbed. It's like a legitimate profession over there.

"Cumpà, teniamo fame" (we're hungry).

ruttivendolo fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 14, 2012

Nicke
Mar 10, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Better that than getting murdered in North America or molested in Asia.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I hope its a cool insurance scam lol

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
This is merely stage one in the plan to rob the loving place and run.

Jamesman posted:

If you're in a major city - IOW anywhere where tourists would go, thus pickpockets et al - yeah, it's an exaggeration, but it's a pretty big problem.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Jamesman posted:

What a dumb thing to say.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm pretty sure someone seeing a girl that's probably 5'1, wearing designer clothes, with a fancy designer purse by herself as a pretty easy target to rob. I'm honestly more shocked that they didn't have any security or have a staff member accompany her.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Just watched Rooftop Prince 7 and I'm liking this show even more now. I love the tall warrior guy and his constant missed timing. The drama portion is pretty cool too, though maybe a little over complicated what with 300 year old unrequited love and sibling hate, who killed the princess, the chairman who's apparently coincidentally mother to both of the girls, and of course the relationship drama... but I like most of the characters enough to still like the drama fine.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What a dumb thing to say.

Because I clearly wasn't exaggerating or anything, and honestly believe the entire continent preys on tourists.

But let's not get too far off track here.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Probably a work to garner sympathy. Rather detailed on everything except the crime.

"She was robbed while she was working hard, so it’s ok.” Is there anything in the world that working hard won't absolve.

Strange how they solved all their visa issues just in time to miss their US concert.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Oh My School/100 Points out of 100

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 28
Starring: Park Myung-Soo, Tony Ahn, Park Gyeongrim, Kim Shinyoung (hosts)
Available: Fansubs, Fan captures of international broadcasts with subs already added(!)

A show which struggled with identity and ratings, but a very entertaining show. It began with the concept of young celebrities in a "school" to help them learn and improve within the entertainment industry, but the concept was heavily overshadowed by the cast's natural charisma which resulted in more of a "How can we keep this fun party show within a school theme each week" type of deal.

Eventually, the show went into a very distinct new format, which was almost completely about games and losers getting punishments and had very little to do with "school" except they still sat at desks and dressed somewhat like fashionable students. Still very funny though, especially with the addition of Kim Shinyoung as a host.

But still the show couldn't find an audience or a direction, so they went with something else; Idolt sports championship. A ton of idols representing different provinces competing in various sporting events. After a few episodes of this, the show crashed and burned and was finally canceled.

There were many "students" during the show's short time, and many of them had long, memorable stays. I'm torn between the fact that listing them all would take forever, and not mentioning them is a disservice to how fun they were. Simply put, watch the show.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, it's a shame about that show. It was pretty good and it tried a bunch of novel concepts, it's just that it had waaaay too strong competition and not a lot of time to establish a stable format before it was losing too much money for it to continue.

I mean, when it's competing against IC and Star King (sort of a talent show, also very popular and sometimes even beating IC in the ratings), it's hard to attract a lot of viewers.

Also, I don't know if Happy Together S3 gets subbed anywhere, but this week's episode has both Haha and Sukjin in it (with some other guests). It's hilarious, especially with the good old bickering between the two male MCs (YJS, PMS), and Haha+Sukjiin. The other guests are no slouches either.

On the drama front: Since a lot of you seem to be watching Rooftop, I'm going to put in some love for King 2 Hearts. I finished Ep7-8 today, and oh man are the actors/actresses sooooooooo good at playing their characters. I won't spoil any plot details, but I was so immersed in the story that I actually cried along with the characters at a point in the story. I'm a guy that is not scared by most horror movies and didn't blink an eye at the end of Titanic. But I cried like a girl while watching.

Not to say it's too serious; it has some awesome moments too. Minor non-plot spoiler: Ha Ji-Won dancing Bo-Peep by T-ara? :haw:

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 15, 2012

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Lyer posted:

I'm bettin' she set that poo poo up so T-ara could buy food to actually eat. :v:

I'm hoping this is money laundering too, because goddamn why do you have that much cash on your person in a foreign any country. Also agreeing they could really do with eating $30,000 worth of food. :rimshot:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Yeah, it's a shame about that show. It was pretty good and it tried a bunch of novel concepts, it's just that it had waaaay too strong competition and not a lot of time to establish a stable format before it was losing too much money for it to continue.

I just wanna know whose dumb idea it was to turn it into a sport competition show, thinking that would somehow be the answer to everything.

Anyway, off the top of my head, here's some of the more notable regulars;

Choi Minho - SHINee's rapper. Known as a "noona killer," he draws the eye of the girls that are older than him.

Simon D - Rapper and member of Supreme Team. Full of himself. Shameless.

Min - Lead vocalist of Miss A. Cute, scrappy, and a powerful dancer. Good friends with Simon D.

Hongki - Lead singer of FT Island. Gets teased a lot (mostly by Simon D), but all in good fun.

Lee Joon - Member of MBLAQ. Known as "Muscle Fool" (all looks and no brains). Insistent he can do good in games but frequently makes an rear end out of himself.

Soyeon - Member of T-ara. Human news outlet. Knows everyone and everything about everyone, including things from before she was born.

Hyosung - Leader of Secret - Bright personality and playful. Smiles a lot, but told to cut back because of how much gum she shows.

Yoseob - Member of B2ST. Can be shown a dance and will replicate it almost instantly. Competetive when other members of his group show up.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Hyosung - Leader of Secret - Bright personality and playful. Smiles a lot, but told to cut back because of how much gum she shows.

How can showing gum ever be a bad thing?

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Also, I don't know if Happy Together S3 gets subbed anywhere, but this week's episode has both Haha and Sukjin in it (with some other guests). It's hilarious, especially with the good old bickering between the two male MCs (YJS, PMS), and Haha+Sukjiin. The other guests are no slouches either.

http://boosaysharingiscaring.com is subbing Season 3, but he's about 2 months behind. I enjoy the show a lot, depending on who the guests are. This seasons even has a bunch of the Gag Concert comedians on it

The most recently subbed episode from February 29th can be found here: http://boosaysharingiscaring.com/2012/04/13/happy-together-season-3-e235-2012-02-29-english-subbed/. You'll have to register at his site to view this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

How can showing gum ever be a bad thing?

It's not. It's just playful teasing, like Hongki gets on the show, although she does have a slightly gummy smile compared to others.

I've been watching more Adam Couple, and I just got to the part where they have to entertain a foreigner. Um, I don't know what Gain was going for, but god drat that was one awkward conversation. "I want to kiss you and take a dump on your chest."

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jamesman posted:

"I want to kiss you and take a dump on your chest."

No one in the studio properly reacts to that either, I don't think anyone really got how insane the second part of that statement was, unless it was less crazy before translation.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There was no "before translation" for that. It's exactly what she says in English. Twice.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jamesman posted:

There was no "before translation" for that. It's exactly what she says in English. Twice.

Haha good point, that was stupid of me. iirc she was looking at a phone app and it gave her that phrase to say

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Archer2338 posted:

It really is behind quite a bit, I'm still waiting for subs of the Kwang Soo episode to appear. This Haha Suk Jin one should be great, the Golden bell episode that Suk Jin appeared on was one of the funniest. Dude is seriously hilarious, makes it even more sad how much he has fallen behind in appearances on Running man recently.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

It really is behind quite a bit, I'm still waiting for subs of the Kwang Soo episode to appear. This Haha Suk Jin one should be great, the Golden bell episode that Suk Jin appeared on was one of the funniest. Dude is seriously hilarious, makes it even more sad how much he has fallen behind in appearances on Running man recently.

Don't worry, he really shined in this week's episode. Dude can get really funny when people sit down to talk instead of running everywhere.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

Haha good point, that was stupid of me. iirc she was looking at a phone app and it gave her that phrase to say

One hell of a phone app.

I don't dislike Adam Couple, but the charm is less about them and more about what happens around them, especially with 2AM and BEG as family (I got to the "dinner party" episode, and really, I don't understand why they didn't just pair everyone up as an ongoing couple for the show).

But with Khuntoria, the two of them were just super-cute and it was all about them being cute as gently caress all around the world and it was just the best thing ever, so going into Adam Couple, I was kind of expecting a similar story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was there a public holiday or something last Friday? Just that Rooftop Prince didn't air, and looking at the schedule it's the only break in the 20 episode run. Just wondering what might have preempted it.

I need my fix.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

The pHo posted:

Was there a public holiday or something last Friday? Just that Rooftop Prince didn't air, and looking at the schedule it's the only break in the 20 episode run. Just wondering what might have preempted it.

I need my fix.

Err, Rooftop runs Wednesday-Thursday, but there were the major legislative elections on Wednesday, and all the tv stations (except KBS, I think? Since it has 2 channels) were covering that and not airing the dramas. Rooftop only ran one ep Thursday, King 2 Hearts decided to run both eps for that week on Thursday.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

D'oh, got my days mixed up. Thanks for the explanation, presumed it was something along those lines but wasn't sure what exactly.

Still, at least there's one episode to watch. Insane how fast they can fly through a 20 episode show compared to the states that loves to drag episodes out over many months. (In Britain, most shows get 6 episodes a season and there can be 2-3 years between seasons. Painful for shows you love!)

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

General TV question, but since it's so prevalent in Korean TV shows, I figured I'd ask. Do the TV shows recycle laugh tracks and various other "sound effects"? If not do they just get a group of people/employees to record some of that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

sharktamer posted:

I've seen an English sub of Kwang Soo on Happy Together two weeks ago, maybe even longer. I'll try and dig it up for you. Psyched to see Haha and Suk Jin, though.

E: Here you go. http://imeimo.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/eng-sub-111229-happy-together-s3-ep-229-lee-gwangsoo/

Spoiler for that ep that I found funny and a little sad:
Jae Suk: "Kwang Soo, who debuted as a model around the same time you did?"
Kwang Soo: "None of them are working at this time."
Followed by Jae Suk at a loss for words until the awkward laughter comes in.

E2: If anyone wants to know what episode Suk Jin was in, it's Ep 140. Googling that will get you a link to a subbed video pretty fast.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 17, 2012

• Locked thread