Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Well Jamesman, are you a bad enough dude to be a 2NE1 superfan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
No. I'm not the kind of raving lunatic they're looking for when it comes to these things.

My obsession for them is one of subtlety, except for the part where I say I love them and intend to marry them so everyone else just BACK OFF.

Mike the TV!
Feb 23, 2010
On the early post's recommendation, my housemate and I have started on Breadking Kim Tak-Gu. I'm struggling to appraise it beyond the fact that two episodes in we're up for watching more, but in respect to things like family values, gender roles, cultural values, et cetera, it is one of the most batshit bonkers things we have ever seen. It's really hard to see where any parody/commentary subtext ends and where earnestness begins.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Just pointing out that the blog iTheTime has a wonderful layout and variety of Korean variety shows up. Looks like the entirety of S1 of Family Outing is up there subbed, all of Oh My School / 100 Points Out Of 100, and there's some early Infinity Challenge up there too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

futurememory posted:

Just pointing out that the blog iTheTime has a wonderful layout and variety of Korean variety shows up. Looks like the entirety of S1 of Family Outing is up there subbed, all of Oh My School / 100 Points Out Of 100, and there's some early Infinity Challenge up there too.

Yeah, there's a good collection of videos there from various sources. They update in batches on an irregular basis, though, and the last update was the end of March, so that's frustrating.

I'm near the end of the Adam Couple in We Got Married, and I've more or less enjoyed it, but I have to say my favorite parts were the due to the people around Jo Kwon and Ga-In. They were responsible for some funny and cute moments, but really, the other 2AM and BEG members are what really made things the most interesting, particularly Jea. Someone point me to more shows that have BEG/Jea on them please.

Also if someone could point me to where I might find subbed episodes of the Yung Jung/Jung Eum couple, if any exist, that'd be great. The early Adam Couple episodes introduced that couple and they seemed like fun.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jamesman posted:

Also if someone could point me to where I might find subbed episodes of the Yung Jung/Jung Eum couple, if any exist, that'd be great. The early Adam Couple episodes introduced that couple and they seemed like fun.

I'm at work so I can't dig through this 31 page thread, but it's worth checking to see if any of the original Megaupload links of subbed eps were re-upped.

http://www.ampedasia.com/forums/k-variety-show-we-got-married-season-2-t-16993.html

They own because they are an actual real couple irl and also because Hwang Jung Eum is the most adorable woman on earth.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
For We Got Married, does it pay to try and find it on a by-episode basis? Or is it better to spam through the individual couples?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Funniest thing I saw today: Jessica from SNSD throwing the opening pitch at a baseball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGgm8nZ7ok

Skip ahead to 1:10.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

futurememory posted:

For We Got Married, does it pay to try and find it on a by-episode basis? Or is it better to spam through the individual couples?

You'll actually need to spam through the couples since the episodes are almost always cut/subbed based on the couple

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

Funniest thing I saw today: Jessica from SNSD throwing the opening pitch at a baseball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGgm8nZ7ok

Skip ahead to 1:10.

Oh god, I just laughed out loud in the middle of my office. Someone needs to .gif that and it'll basically describe Jessica in a nutshell.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Expected an unmitigated disaster; was not disappointed.

They should have just gotten Yuri again, she killed that poo poo last time. Sidearm, no less.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Lyer posted:

Oh god, I just laughed out loud in the middle of my office. Someone needs to .gif that and it'll basically describe Jessica in a nutshell.

She really is the best

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Amazing, thank you kid sir. I really thought she was going to have a killer pitch, with the wind up and everything. I love how the catcher just starts walking off nonplussed.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Lyer posted:

Amazing, thank you kid sir. I really thought she was going to have a killer pitch, with the wind up and everything. I love how the catcher just starts walking off nonplussed.

http://i.minus.com/i84rwtqXsAZkM.gif

I'm not posting an 8mb gif but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
She wouldn't be Jessica if she had done it any other way and I legit love her for it.

Ice Princess 4ever

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Jamesman posted:

She wouldn't be Jessica if she had done it any other way and I legit love her for it.

Ice Princess 4ever

Is this episode subtitled anywhere? I really like that show

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

reflir posted:

Probably not for a while, I'm still waiting on the one with Suk Jin and HaHa in it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I managed to find clips from the "I am a singer too" Infinity challenge episode.

gently caress me, Jun Ha is incredible. They've sung at times before and he's shown tone and control, but I had no idea he was THIS good. I wonder if the other members were expecting a performance of that level.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる

reflir posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqs76j_eng-taeyeon-jessica-tiffany-ht3-part-1_people waiting for part 4 now :/

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

I managed to find clips from the "I am a singer too" Infinity challenge episode.

gently caress me, Jun Ha is incredible. They've sung at times before and he's shown tone and control, but I had no idea he was THIS good. I wonder if the other members were expecting a performance of that level.

Oh yes. And it was really touching for those viewers who've seen him on TV and on IC for about 5-6 years now, and have sort of seen him change. I think all the viewers were rooting for his marriage at that point.

He, of course, is now getting married after something like two years of his relationship being revealed. The wedding invitations are adorable as well.

Back to that ep: I really liked YJS's song as well, but Noh-HC's crazy rear end hectic song fits him and his friends so well that I enjoyed it too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got another casting e-mail saying they're looking for SNSD superfans, so I'm going to assume this online show is going to be all about the k-pop phenomenon and not focuses squarely on 2NE1.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I just can't bring myself to care about 2NE1 in the slightest.

Also, stay classy, Japan.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

I just can't bring myself to care about 2NE1 in the slightest.

That's because you suck and also suck.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Somehow I doubt this is a straight translation of what Kyung Lim is saying here but ok let's go with it (this is while Ivy was talking about her "sex tape" scandal)

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

T. Couchfucker posted:

She really is the best

Haha they showed this on today's Pardon the Interruption.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Famous TV Dad posted:

Haha, poor girl. At least she's getting exposure on american tv. :v:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Famous TV Dad posted:

Yeah it kind of went viral in the sports world, saw it pop up on a ton of American sports blogs too.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I don't know if any watches Hello Baby but I just finished T-ara's run aaaaand That's it? What's with the sudden ending? Does anyone know the story behind that? I'd never seen T-ara in anything (other than Hyomin in IY1) but they were really entertaining and great with those kids. I really liked Soyeon and Hyomin's little segments at the end of episodes too.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

sharktamer posted:

Also, stay classy, Japan.

I noticed that on most Korean talk shows they will give the lady guests a cushion or a pillow to cover their laps. I'm guessing that's a courtesy to prevent unflattering camera angles?

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

I too love the drama summaries, please don't stop!

It all started with the Running Man thread, then I watched Secret Garden. After that I began to devour these drat dramas. I am current on Rooftop Prince. I watched all of Coffee Prince in less than a week! I'm a total sucker for the socially crossed lovers trope, and I LOVE the evil characters in Rooftop Prince.

I'm beginning to watch King 2 Hearts and Fashion Prince, but neither of them really hooked me in the first episode like the others did.

I'm scouring Drama Fever, Hulu and Netflix but I think I need a bit of help. Based on Jamesman's write-up My Princess looks like it's up my alley.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

yuk_mistress posted:

It all started with the Running Man thread, then I watched Secret Garden. After that I began to devour these drat dramas. I am current on Rooftop Prince. I watched all of Coffee Prince in less than a week! I'm a total sucker for the socially crossed lovers trope, and I LOVE the evil characters in Rooftop Prince.

I'm beginning to watch King 2 Hearts and Fashion Prince, but neither of them really hooked me in the first episode like the others did.

I'm scouring Drama Fever, Hulu and Netflix but I think I need a bit of help. Based on Jamesman's write-up My Princess looks like it's up my alley.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Hulu+

It's worth the $8 a month. And you shouldn't also immediately watch Lie to Me, which is now on Netflix as well.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

yuk_mistress posted:

Sounds like your drama tastes are pretty similar to mine. If you don't mind a high school cast, try Princess Hours (or Goong) which also features Coffee Prince's lead actress. I also loved My Girlfriend is a Nine Tailed Fox. Was iffy about the supernatural thing at first, but it's an adorable show.

You can try mysoju.com and poke around at k-dramas with high ratings. Generally, if it's popular it won't be terrible (does not apply to idol dramas).

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Corn Thongs posted:

Sounds like your drama tastes are pretty similar to mine. If you don't mind a high school cast, try Princess Hours (or Goong) which also features Coffee Prince's lead actress. I also loved My Girlfriend is a Nine Tailed Fox. Was iffy about the supernatural thing at first, but it's an adorable show.

You can try mysoju.com and poke around at k-dramas with high ratings. Generally, if it's popular it won't be terrible (does not apply to idol dramas).

Seconding the Nine Tailed Fox one. It might be a bit cheesy at parts, but Lee Seung-gi and Shin Min-ah are absolutely adorable together.

Charmmi posted:

I noticed that on most Korean talk shows they will give the lady guests a cushion or a pillow to cover their laps. I'm guessing that's a courtesy to prevent unflattering camera angles?
Most will give a quilt or some kind of blanket; if they're outside filming and they have to sit down for some reason, some of the male guests/cast will take off their jackets for the same purpose.
And yes, it's to avoid incidents and captures such as that.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

T. Couchfucker posted:

Hulu+

It's worth the $8 a month. And you shouldn't also immediately watch Lie to Me, which is now on Netflix as well.

Lie to Me was very disappointing, it turned from a comedy/romance drama into a whiny melodrama and wasn't very fun. Greatest Love which was aired around the same time was much much better.

Here's few drama recommendations: Hello My Teacher/Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy, I Am Sam/I Am Your Teacher, The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, My Lovely Sam-soon/My Name Is Kim Sam-soon, 49 days, Full House, That Fool

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!I have a feeling that I'll be watching dramas for a while!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just wanted to say I've been following along with Rooftop Prince via subs on kimchidramas.net, and with only a few episodes left, everything's been ramping up like crazy! Been really enjoying the series so far, and will probably check out The King 2Hearts and Secret Garden when the series is over.

I wanted to ask someone here who speaks Korean though. At the end of Ep 17 of Rooftop Prince, there's a 40 second trailer for another show, but I don't know what the title is because it's in Korean. The trailer looked really interesting though. Can anyone help me out?

http://www.kimchidramas.net/2012/05/rooftop-prince-episode-17.html

It's the last 40 seconds of Part 4.

Edit: vvv Ah thanks! Reading up on it and it sounds interesting. I'll probably check it out when it airs.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 18, 2012

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
It's Ghost. It will take Rooftop Prince's timeslot once RTP is finished.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Jamesman posted:

That's good to know. Sometimes it just feels like I'm writing them for myself, especially when it comes to the drama spotlights.

I'd love for people to post some thoughts on some of these shows if they've previously watched them or are starting to watch them now, because they're worth talking about.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any thoughts on any shows that might warrant their own threads. I've been contemplating a City Hunter thread ever since I started watching it, but had always put it off for a few reasons.

Your drama spotlights are very nice, I made a list from them! I'm very glad we have this thread, I was just looking for one to say how much I've started to love Korean drama shows.

Our national tv channels have been running in the last couple years some of the Korean drama shows set in the past (I know there's a specific name for this type of show, but it escapes me right now), and my mom and both grandmothers are fans, but I wasnt. I had been though, for a long time, a fan of their horror movies.

Then, earlier this year, I saw some pictures and descriptions of City Hunter, and I gave it a go. I was instantly hooked! And it made "Sarang" by Lim Jae Bum one of my favourite songs ever.
Lee Min Ho is awesome. :swoon: I just realized from this thread that he is the main lead in Boys Over Flowers (why is his hair so silly, it will be hard to get used to see him like that after his sleek look in CH). I've seen the Japanese version of that story, and I loved it. I am curious to see how I will like Lee Min Ho in that role, since I thought that the Japanese actor did a fantastic job, he had such endearingly quirky and weird face expressions.

One thing I expect to be different in this Korean BoF though (and I'm happy it will be) is the romantic physical gestures. In the Japanese version (and in general in the Japanese movies I've seen) I always felt weird about the lack of contact. For example, in the movie they made after the show ended, the ending scene is the main leads on the beach, her telling him she is pregnant. He is overjoyed and hugs her, she does not return the hug, she keeps her hands in the air, away from him. :raise: They had been married for a while now, they had obviously had sex, yet she was still avoiding expressing feelings through physical contact. That was a very confusing scene for me, I don't understand why it is like that, but I respect that their culture is different.

I've started to watch Secret Garden last week, coming up is episode 4. It's a great show! I was silly and read some reviews on IMDB so I found out about that thing that will happen around mid season. It was very surprising, I did not think the show would have that kind of elements in it, I still see no clues about it in these first episodes, but I hope it will make sense when I get to it.

I am really amazed at the quality of Korean shows, the plot, the lines, the performance of the actors, all seem so very good. I cannot wait to watch even more of them.
I am open to any recommendations of drama shows set in the present with romance plots (even if romance is not the main idea of the show)! I also enjoy action, fantasy (I have the 9tails fox girl on my list), detective stuff.

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Drama Spotlight: My Princess

I love this, and I love you for highlighting this! :3: I cannot stop watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Merope posted:

I am open to any recommendations of drama shows set in the present with romance plots (even if romance is not the main idea of the show)! I also enjoy action, fantasy (I have the 9tails fox girl on my list), detective stuff.

I know you're looking for something set in the present, but The Moon that Embraced the Sun gets all the other things you're looking for. My writeup does not do the drama justice (Jamesman, where are thou?), but it's a nice mix of romance, comedy, and a little bit of action under a slightly fantastic, but not over the top theme of fate and black magic (spirit rituals, etc). And it's not really a hardcore historical drama either; it's classified as a "fusion-historical"-light and for flavor, not to tell a historical story.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 22, 2012

• Locked thread