Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I wouldn’t call Solo Levelling and Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint isekai exactly.

Definitely significant similarities sure, but if anything it’s the reversal of a typical isekai. Instead of someone from modern society being (permanently) thrust into a strange and different fantasy land, you have creatures from fantasy lands invading modern society (and heroes/players/challengers only briefly go to fantasy lands to clear dungeons/missions). And seeing as there’s about a thousand Korean webtoons with this exact setting (including having an obligatory tower for people to climb) seems like there’s a meaningful distinction to be made between isekai and this ‘dungeons/gates invading’ setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Solo Leveling is a 'dungeon/gate' anime with the monster gates and dungeon clearing.

But I think Reader's Viewpoint is one, he literally isekai's into the webnovel he read, which also happens to have mission objectives

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Yeah they are more in the genre of "gates suddenly open on earth and also there are rpg classes and adventurer guilds for some reason"

Isekai just seems like the easiest shorthand. The planet got hit by the truck

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gay devil posted:

Yeah they are more in the genre of "gates suddenly open on earth and also there are rpg classes and adventurer guilds for some reason"

Isekai just seems like the easiest shorthand. The planet got hit by the truck

Yeah I kinda tend to put them all in the same box since they use many of the same tropes etc. There is an actual difference, but it doesn't seem like enough to really bother about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apocalyptic death game and hunter/gate stories are quite different. they usually both have rpg stats and regression out the rear end, but that's true of most webnovels and webtoons of many other genres as well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

three extremely gay dads

AtomikKrab posted:

Bisexual at most given their reactions to the main characters mother, jury is out on the new dad.

Tell me more about this one.

gay devil posted:

The planet got hit by the truck

gently caress, manhwa truck is hardcore.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Saoshyant posted:

Jiwoo Seo is a special boy who has the special power of super speed that he has kept secret to the point that he has no friends. One day while out taking care of the neighborhood cats, because he is a sweet cinnamon roll who takes care of cats, he sees a fat cat and helps it. That cat turns out to be Kayden Break, a very powerful guy who is taking the form of a cat after getting badly injured in a fight. He starts teaching Jiwoo and things just kind of escalate into fights from there and Jiwoo picks up a collection of friends and eventually two more dads to train him.

The writer of Noblesse and the artist from Girls of the Wilds.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 3, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eleceed's about a sweet boy who picks up a cat that is actually a transformed superhuman. the cat that is sometimes a hot guy becomes his teacher and then various super power battles happen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

there are also lots of very cute cat panels

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
To me there's a meaningful distinction between:

'Guy from Earth goes to fantasy land' vs 'Monsters from fantasy land invade Earth'

Isekai
Fantasy land setting
Supporting cast predominantly from fantasy land
Common tropes:
Demon Kingdom
Fantasy/Demihuman races
Lots and lots of slavery
Joining the adventurer's guild to collect 70 boar anuses to rank up

'Gates'
Modern Earth setting + invading monsters
Supporting cast predominantly from Modern Earth
Common tropes:
Missions/Scenarios
Constellations
'MMO' Guilds antagonising each other

Isekai is really just a subgenre of fantasy, but we say Isekai because that's shorthand for a clustering of tropes and trappings. I sort of think the gates/dungeons thing is widespread enough to be considered its own subsubgenre because there's probably thousands of those stories.

GateOfD posted:

But I think Reader's Viewpoint is one, he literally isekai's into the webnovel he read, which also happens to have mission objectives

ORV is a bit more debatable, but I don't think he got sucked into the web novel because there are characters from outside the webnovel that are still around (his coworker, his mother, the "prophets" / other people that read the story). I think it's more that the events of that web novel started coming true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the isekai based on dragon quest mixed with western fantasy are just the ones that get anime. the genre's much broader and more varied than that. of course, we are still talking amateur web serial fiction here. just because they don't use those exact tropes doesn't mean most of them aren't just as bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elite posted:

Isekai is really just a subgenre of fantasy, but we say Isekai because that's shorthand for a clustering of tropes and trappings. I sort of think the gates/dungeons thing is widespread enough to be considered its own subsubgenre because there's probably thousands of those stories.

I think Portal Fantasy or Intrusion fantasy would be applicable depending on the story.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where do S-Class Hunter Doesn't Want to Be a Villainous Princess https://mangadex.org/title/d76a350d-c6b5-42bb-bfba-e521a3964a6a/s-class-hunter-doesn-t-want-to-be-a-villainous-princess

and SSS Class Revival Hunter fit into those genres? https://mangadex.org/title/4a973243-952e-44d7-a50f-883b4b7c9cc2/sss-class-revival-hunter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elite posted:

I wouldn’t call Solo Levelling and Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint isekai exactly.

Definitely significant similarities sure, but if anything it’s the reversal of a typical isekai. Instead of someone from modern society being (permanently) thrust into a strange and different fantasy land, you have creatures from fantasy lands invading modern society (and heroes/players/challengers only briefly go to fantasy lands to clear dungeons/missions). And seeing as there’s about a thousand Korean webtoons with this exact setting (including having an obligatory tower for people to climb) seems like there’s a meaningful distinction to be made between isekai and this ‘dungeons/gates invading’ setting.

I feel like there's an interesting difference between the core fantasies of each setting.

The modern isekai setting centers around a wish to escape all the trappings of modern society. The "gate" setting, on the other hand, is a wish to "be special within an altered version of our existing society." You don't want to have a mundane normal life, but you still want to stay in Korea and retain a connection with our society (just with yourself as a powerful elite).

There's probably some sort of complex social reason for the prevalence of the latter in Korea vs the former in Japan, though I don't know what it is myself.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My first guess is it probably matches up with popularity of different video game genres. The gate invasion setting is basically “what if MMO, but real life?”. But even if I’m right there I suppose that’s more of co-symptom rather than an explanation.

Probably a complex social reason behind the differences in Chinese manhuas too. (They seem even more transparent a power fantasy).

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I like how half way through the story there's just an isekai character for whatever reason.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If I had to fit them, SSS Class Revival Hunter could probably be put in the Portal fantasy subgenre. Entering the tower and subsequently climbing to different floors or entering key books all act as means of transferal to other realms. I haven't read the Villainous Princess one but the description would depend on how you want to define dying and having a god send you somewhere else. But that is usually just the Tensei sub-genre of Isekai which deals with reincarnation.

What I found interesting is that Villainess Princess uses the term constellation which also appears in Revival Hunter, referring in that story to beings which are essentially the cornerstone of their realities and whose death usually throws their whole reality into disorder. Seems to have a similar implication for VP, interested how far back that trope dates.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elite posted:

My first guess is it probably matches up with popularity of different video game genres. The gate invasion setting is basically “what if MMO, but real life?”. But even if I’m right there I suppose that’s more of co-symptom rather than an explanation.

Probably a complex social reason behind the differences in Chinese manhuas too. (They seem even more transparent a power fantasy).

Korean manwha seem a lot more cynical about society and especially social class than Japanese manga. There's a lot of emphasis on "the rich, popular kids get to enjoy life, while the rest of us peasants suffer in silence." So the basic fantasy of the gate invasion setting is "what if I could be rich and popular by being super good at MMOs?" This ties into the whole public rating board thing which often shows up. Getting rich in particular is also a part of the fantasy that isn't nearly as emphasized in other genres.

Whereas modern isekai is more about literal escapism, as in "I have no attachments whatsoever to the world I live in, so I'd rather live in a cool fantasy world where I am loved and appreciated just for being myself."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I always assumed that korean escapist power fantasies are a reaction to how absurdly neo-confucian korean society is, and that korean guys are bitter about wasting part of their youth on military service that didn't actually let them do anything cool.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

What I found interesting is that Villainess Princess uses the term constellation which also appears in Revival Hunter, referring in that story to beings which are essentially the cornerstone of their realities and whose death usually throws their whole reality into disorder. Seems to have a similar implication for VP, interested how far back that trope dates.

The Constellation thing is in a ton of series it's always a higher being that manages worlds/realms. There's a couple like Shattered Constellation where the main character becomes one.

Its like the martial arts series always having a Divine/Heavenly Demon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if anything orv is a reverse isekai in that none of the webnovel characters existed on earth until the apocalypse started. afterward, they were there all along. or maybe it's more of a world merger, except the two worlds are mostly identical earths? it's sort of confusing.

mostly, i like orv because the protagonist's sole special trait being absolutely dire taste in fiction is really funny.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

ORV is a fun series, and I enjoy where it goes in the back half, but that's a ways off for the webtoon which should finish around 2031 at its current pace of adaptation.

It's technically an isekai (though it doesn't come up often) but Martial Wild West has been a fun alt history murim series about a Chinese colonization of the Western US by an undying Han dynasty juiced up by murim magic. Think lone drifter Western serial but with murim martial arts instead of gunplay.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Viral Hit is getting an anime this season.
Fairly popular title among delinquent/school fighting series. No idea on the quality, first episode didn't air yet, but I think there were some readers of it in here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

Viral Hit is getting an anime this season.
Fairly popular title among delinquent/school fighting series. No idea on the quality, first episode didn't air yet, but I think there were some readers of it in here.

Good to know, probably would make a good first season or so. Eventually the story suffers from not ending when it should have and just gets into boring power creep stuff and recycles the main villain. Seemed obvious to me that they got told to just keep the popular series alive but that shouldn’t hurt a season or two of anime for the more interesting / funny original story.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Saoshyant posted:

gently caress, manhwa truck is hardcore.

For Eleceed, the main character's mother is also a cinnamon roll, she has not shown up too much in the story overall but given Kayden's reaction to her, he is attracted... He is also an awkward dork.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eleceed owns because it spends a lot more effort on the best part of Noblesse - the comedy.

Everything involving Kayden is great. Love to see the cat get smug because he is proud of his son.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Viral Hit ep1 aired today.
Looks pretty good and very accurate, it being a webtoon means that half of the work of the storyboarding is already done, so a lot of the scenes look exactly how you read it. And yea, the bullying at the start is just as infuriating as when reading it.
A lot better than the Lookism anime, which for some reason looked really cheap compared to the art in its relative webtoon.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading the Academy's Genius Swordsman.

a regressor korean webtoon. pretty common, but nice that its set in a regular fantasy world instead of korea or an isekai, no stats or rpg skill stat screens.
in the fun beginning parts with the school and stuff, and those arcs are always easy to make entertaining, so I see how long it keeps up.
The MC is a good balance between good guy and practical who kills who he needs to kill.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 13, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Viral Hit ep1 aired today.
Looks pretty good and very accurate, it being a webtoon means that half of the work of the storyboarding is already done, so a lot of the scenes look exactly how you read it. And yea, the bullying at the start is just as infuriating as when reading it.
A lot better than the Lookism anime, which for some reason looked really cheap compared to the art in its relative webtoon.

Lookism started off looking pretty rough for a couple hundred chapters too IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you like very violent stuff then Killer Peter/Pietro and Return of the bloodthirsty police are both fun. De-age'd assasssin and regressed assassin who becomes a cop. Dumb as hell but good action

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
found "The Novel's Extra" webtoon.

one of the few webnovels I read to completion late into the night for over a week. Liked it, even though the ending was rushed as well. Looking forward to how the webtoon will handle it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I realise nobody here understands the economics of it but I'd love to know how much any of this makes enough money to work. Is it a simple case of amateur web novel with a good enough idea for a series which takes off and both make money. If it super takes off they might even get an anime and be set for life if the original author kept IP rights. There are tons of studios pumping out work now. Is it just way, way cheaper than say WSJ to toss an idea/keep one going for a bit longer because there is no physical print space to take up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

This week is full of the content I read Eleceed for :allears:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I realise nobody here understands the economics of it but I'd love to know how much any of this makes enough money to work. Is it a simple case of amateur web novel with a good enough idea for a series which takes off and both make money. If it super takes off they might even get an anime and be set for life if the original author kept IP rights. There are tons of studios pumping out work now. Is it just way, way cheaper than say WSJ to toss an idea/keep one going for a bit longer because there is no physical print space to take up

I think the Korean Webtoons are cheaper/easier to produce than a manga of similar quality. Partially from having no physical release but also because the digital tools they have make the process easier. In some situations it leads to stupid poo poo like the same castle showing up in 80+ different series, but a lot of the time it seems to work out okay. I’m just paraphrasing an article I skimmed through so a) I don’t particularly know what I’m talking about and b) no guarantees that that author knew what they were talking about either, but it seemed like a plausible enough explanation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the physical manwha industry is totally dead, killed by webtoons.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive seen stuff about webtoons having a super predatory monetization model so it might just be an old fashioned case of extreme exploitation

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Yea no idea about the pay model. Probably a low pay contract for each episode release, and a % of coins spent on unlocking their chapters or something.
And then if it’s popular enough they get a licensing deal for physical publications and anime.

Most probably have another regular job.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The Dungeons & Artifacts webtoon finished up. Super generic premise but I enjoyed it quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I read the reason naver/webtoons translations could.be a mess was they just used whatever freelancer they could and did no qc