Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fagtastic posted:

I was really worried from the first two volumes that I was getting a watery version of hellboy. Near-invulnerable wizecracking weirdness-weary protagonist fistfights nazis, then a nazi brain in a jar, then the ghost of rasputin (which had to be a direct homage, right?) then coming next: cthulhu horrors? I know I'm not just cherry picking similarities, hellboy must have been a big influence on the whole style and feel of the early volumes.
No one believes this, but: nope.

I'd been working on Robo since 1996. My exposure to Hellboy prior to the films was seeing graphic novel covers at Barnes & Noble. I never picked one up, but my assumption was that Hellboy was the head monster the people fought.

Then the movie came out and I finally cracked down to read some of the books.

Whoooooops.

It's easy to draw similarities, but you can do it with Batman and Spider-Man too. But no one does. Because they've been around forever, so each one has had time to mark out its specific territory. We did the WW2 and Cthulhu stories first to dive right into Hellboy's domain. The similarities are obvious, so it behooved us to get straight to the counter examples to show what's different: the humor, the tone, the pacing, the use of time, the role of history, Robo's relationship to the people he knows and humanity at large, etc.

Volume 3 was specifically engineered to be the Little Mac uppercut to the Hellboy comparison and by and large it worked.

quote:

How often are these released digitally?
Every time a print issue or collection is released. The current series is Real Science Adventures, #2 will be out in a couple weeks I think. The next collection is Volume 6, Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X, which should be out late this month or early in June. The first issue of Volume 7, Atomic Robo and the Flying She-Devils of the Pacific, comes out in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like to think Hellboy and Robo are on each others speeddial and every now and then they just kick bad and talk about what weird poo poo they've been up to.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I like to think Hellboy and Robo are on each others speeddial and every now and then they just kick bad and talk about what weird poo poo they've been up to.
The Robo RPG will provide for the ability to play as (among a bunch of other stuff) Tesladyne Action Scientists or the agents of similar organizations, canonical or otherwise.

So, in a way, this is totally doable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

The Robo RPG will provide for the ability to play as (among a bunch of other stuff) Tesladyne Action Scientists or the agents of similar organizations, canonical or otherwise.

So, in a way, this is totally doable.

Wait what? A Robo RPG?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Wait what? A Robo RPG?
Yup. Just had our first public play test the other day.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Yup. Just had our first public play test the other day.

So you'll give us a tip off if there's anything at Gencon right? That would make the trip completely worth it.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Hyperactive posted:

No one believes this, but: nope.

That is loving incredible. So even the ghost of rasputin thing was total coincidence? Welp!

quote:

Volume 3 was specifically engineered to be the Little Mac uppercut to the Hellboy comparison and by and large it worked.

I'm pretty stoked that that was intentional, because it was a very powerfully successful move. I might have stopped reading except that there was this tremendous sense of turning into something unique and great.

Meanwhile I just looked up the team robo promise, and I love what you people are doing a whole lot:

quote:

No angst
No “cheesecake”
No reboots
No filler
No delays

"No everything that is wrong with modern comic books"

So anyway, who is it that is literally a research scientist or knows one extremely well? Where do you get the ridiculously realistic and hilarious flavour of genuine science?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fagtastic posted:

That is loving incredible. So even the ghost of rasputin thing was total coincidence? Welp!
Yup. Rasputin's an amazing historical figure. We have lots of them in Robo. It has nothing to do with Hellboy and everything to do with setting up the Edison / Ghost Phone connection for the Edison / Odic Force turn in Vol 4 which then sets up Vol 5.

quote:

I'm pretty stoked that that was intentional, because it was a very powerfully successful move. I might have stopped reading except that there was this tremendous sense of turning into something unique and great.

Meanwhile I just looked up the team robo promise, and I love what you people are doing a whole lot:

"No everything that is wrong with modern comic books"
Glad to hear it! I'm going to be very interested in the reaction to She-Devils.

quote:

So anyway, who is it that is literally a research scientist or knows one extremely well? Where do you get the ridiculously realistic and hilarious flavour of genuine science?
None of us. But my childhood heroes were Carl Sagan, Douglas Adams, and James Burke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The use of Hawking is one of my favorite little things you've sprinkled into the story.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

The use of Hawking is one of my favorite little things you've sprinkled into the story.

I love it just because he's such a dick and Sagan's just such a generally great guy to counter that. I feel like Feynman, when he finally does show up, needs to be a nice middle ground that hits on anything that moves, maybe even suggesting he take Robo to a strip club, considering he did at least some of his thinking/working there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd kill for a "Stephen Hawking is a Bastard" t-shirt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Free Comic Book Day story was pretty solid, I enjoyed it. :) I will never turn down an opportunity to read more Dr. Dinosaur.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Is there a digital version available yet? Print versions disappear so fast, this is two years in a row where I got shut out and couldn't get a copy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn't some of the prior FCBD stories get reprinted in some of the trade paperbacks? Of course this doesn't help people who buy single issues and not trades.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

Didn't some of the prior FCBD stories get reprinted in some of the trade paperbacks? Of course this doesn't help people who buy single issues and not trades.
All of them show up in trades eventually. This year's will be in Vol 7's collection at the end of the year. We'll post the story online in a week or two.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
A week or two? Do you want me to die? Is that what your filthy mammalian brain wants? TO MAKE ME DIE?!?!?

Do it for the fans man. Or just me. Really, that's better than the other fans anyway.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Atomic Robo's the only print book that I EVER pick up anymore. Still great, love every moment.

Being a toy nerd makes desperately want a gi-joe sized Robo to mix in among my joes so he can lead his very own action science team.
(and team up with my tiny hellboy)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

All of them show up in trades eventually. This year's will be in Vol 7's collection at the end of the year. We'll post the story online in a week or two.

I wanted to PM you last week to commend you on yet another amazing Dr Dinosaur story.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

I wanted to PM you last week to commend you on yet another amazing Dr Dinosaur story.
Thanks!

Speaking of which, it's now available via ComiXology FOR FREE.

The newest trade came out today too. Grab it! Never read Robo before? Start with this one! Thank me later!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks!

Speaking of which, it's now available via ComiXology FOR FREE.

The newest trade came out today too. Grab it! Never read Robo before? Start with this one! Thank me later!

I've been open for 3 hours and I'm sold out of Volume 6 and Diamond didn't short us this time!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
My LCBS ordered 10 copies of Volume 6 and was down to four an hour after opening their doors. Glad I snagged mine!

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

This year's FCBD issue was pretty great. I'm looking for the trade of vol. 6 on comixology though and I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Orkut Users posted:

This year's FCBD issue was pretty great. I'm looking for the trade of vol. 6 on comixology though and I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
Apple hasn't approved Vol 6 yet.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Volume 6 is out? Fantastic! I was struggling what to get the missus for her birthday, you're the best Brian!

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Really enjoyed the FCBD issue, and for once we had a decent amount of copies! I think I got a little over eager however, making people who didn't have it in their stack to go back and get it. They're free, and we always let people have one of every title. Why the heck wouldn't you try something new?! Something new which has a robot AND a dinosaur on the cover?!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Volume 6 is out? Fantastic!
As of yesterday! Hope she enjoys it.

Podges posted:

Really enjoyed the FCBD issue, and for once we had a decent amount of copies! I think I got a little over eager however, making people who didn't have it in their stack to go back and get it. They're free, and we always let people have one of every title. Why the heck wouldn't you try something new?! Something new which has a robot AND a dinosaur on the cover?!
It's a good policy. We're always hearing from retailers who push an issue on their regulars and turn them into a loyal Robo reader.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

As of yesterday! Hope she enjoys it.

It's a good policy. We're always hearing from retailers who push an issue on their regulars and turn them into a loyal Robo reader.

I usually chase people down who leave without it, beat them over the head with it and then cram it into their mouth.

No idea why we don't sell more copies of the monthly issues.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

No idea why we don't sell more copies of the monthly issues.

Possibly because the trades are better in terms of physical media and the online issues are cheaper (Although if you intended that to be a sarcastic statement at the expense of your force feeding people the comic then it was funny). Since losing my job I wait for the trades.

But honestly Atomic Robo is one of the best comics out there. I have never read an issue that disappoints and the series is so fun, which other comics often forget in their quest for seriousness and continuity (even though Robo has both of those things).

Any chance of a Dr. Dinosaur mini-series? I suppose having him carry multiple issues in a serial story could be tricky, but I think he's awesome.

EDIT: Also have you looked into licensing the characters for Heroclix? Because that would be pretty sweet.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

MrFlibble posted:

But honestly Atomic Robo is one of the best comics out there. I have never read an issue that disappoints and the series is so fun, which other comics often forget in their quest for seriousness and continuity (even though Robo has both of those things).
Thanks!

quote:

Any chance of a Dr. Dinosaur mini-series? I suppose having him carry multiple issues in a serial story could be tricky, but I think he's awesome.
Close. Dr. Dinosaur will be the primary villain of Volume 8: Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur. I just finished writing the fourth script of five and, yeah, it's hard as hell to work with him in an extended capacity.

I don't think we'll ever do a straight up Dr. Dinosaur mini-series though. He's best used in small doses. It keeps you guys wanting more, so it's always great when he shows up. We don't want to take that away from you.

Hell, we'll probably skip him in FCBD 2013 just because it'll come out shortly after Vol 8 wraps up.

quote:

EDIT: Also have you looked into licensing the characters for Heroclix? Because that would be pretty sweet.
We have not! But that'd be pretty cool.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks!

Close. Dr. Dinosaur will be the primary villain of Volume 8: Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur. I just finished writing the fourth script of five and, yeah, it's hard as hell to work with him in an extended capacity.

Awesome.

Hyperactive posted:

I don't think we'll ever do a straight up Dr. Dinosaur mini-series though. He's best used in small doses. It keeps you guys wanting more, so it's always great when he shows up. We don't want to take that away from you.

Hell, we'll probably skip him in FCBD 2013 just because it'll come out shortly after Vol 8 wraps up.

Figured as much.

Hyperactive posted:

We have not! But that'd be pretty cool.

I suppose what with Atomic Robo not being as well known as other properties (and no where near as well known as it should be) they might consider it too much of a risk vs reward.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.
Hyperactive, how well does Red 5 treat Atomic Robo? Particularly, were you given good marketing, and creator rights?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I got the Free Comic Book day comic and can I just say how hilarious it was.

The dream team up I was waiting for my whole life. :allears:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

spirited posted:

Hyperactive, how well does Red 5 treat Atomic Robo? Particularly, were you given good marketing, and creator rights?
There is basically no marketing and we have all rights.

Dr Pepper posted:

I got the Free Comic Book day comic and can I just say how hilarious it was.

The dream team up I was waiting for my whole life. :allears:
Happy to be of service.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Close. Dr. Dinosaur will be the primary villain of Volume 8: Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur.

Okay, now you're just pandering to exactly what I want to read.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Okay, now you're just pandering to exactly what I want to read.
I worry about the reception to Vol 8. One camp will think he doesn't get enough screen time, and another will think any panel he's in is overdoing it.

The truth is they're both wrong and he's in it exactly as much as he needs to be for the story to work. But y'know how people are. With their drat opinions.

Bah! :doom:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

I worry about the reception to Vol 8. One camp will think he doesn't get enough screen time, and another will think any panel he's in is overdoing it.

The truth is they're both wrong and he's in it exactly as much as he needs to be for the story to work. But y'know how people are. With their drat opinions.

Just tell them THE INTERNET strong armed you into it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hyperactive posted:

hey, positive reinforcement time. I love Dr Dinosaur, but I'm glad you haven't overused him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I pre-ordered vol 6 on Amazon.com literally a day before Hyperactive made a post saying vol6 was out, but the website is saying it doesn't ship until... July 6th or something? Surely that's incorrect, right?

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

So I pre-ordered vol 6 on Amazon.com literally a day before Hyperactive made a post saying vol6 was out, but the website is saying it doesn't ship until... July 6th or something? Surely that's incorrect, right?

It has to be. I saw vol. 6 at my local comic shop last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

It has to be. I saw vol. 6 at my local comic shop last week.

Amazon and booksellers have different dates than comic shops do, though July is pretty drat far away.

• Locked thread