Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

Amazon and booksellers have different dates than comic shops do, though July is pretty drat far away.
And I'm not sure why, as I know for a fact Amazon gets our books through Diamond. Sometimes they've been a week or two behind the real release, but July is 100% absurd.

If you're already ordering via mail, might I suggest Midtown Comics? Their discount isn't as deep as Amazon's, but Midtown has it in stock and it'll still be May by the time it's delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll keep an eye on Amazon for now, maybe send a message their way later on. This wouldn't be the first time they said the release date for something was way off in the future only to send me an email saying, "Good news! This item that was supposed to ship in 4 months actually ships TOMORROW!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also I almost forgot to ask, are the "Real Science Adventures" issues I see listed on the Robo website going to be collected/sold in a TPB at some point?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

Also I almost forgot to ask, are the "Real Science Adventures" issues I see listed on the Robo website going to be collected/sold in a TPB at some point?
Yup!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

And I'm not sure why, as I know for a fact Amazon gets our books through Diamond. Sometimes they've been a week or two behind the real release, but July is 100% absurd.

If you're already ordering via mail, might I suggest Midtown Comics? Their discount isn't as deep as Amazon's, but Midtown has it in stock and it'll still be May by the time it's delivered.

Midtown it is, thanks again!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Hyperactive posted:

Yup!

When they are collected will they have all the different stories grouped together or will they be in the published order?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Why didn't you tell us there's going to be a Atomic Robo RPG!? Shame on you!

This is one of my favourite comics, because it does not take itself very seriously, and is great fun to read.

I just love this guy:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Riso posted:

This is one of my favourite comics, because it does not take itself very seriously, and is great fun to read.

I just love this guy:

I'm pretty sure he did, in this very thread. Though, in your defense, I don't think he said much about it in the last thread...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Riso posted:

I just love this guy:

This sounds awesome, let me click through to the press releas-

:stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Riso posted:

I just love this guy:

Yeah it's on the last page. There's not much to the thread you could have read it at least.

Edit: Though for anyone going to Gencon there's games every day which is the best news.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 15, 2012

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Ohtsam posted:

When they are collected will they have all the different stories grouped together or will they be in the published order?
There are two multi-part stories that each come to 24 pages. Those will be arranged as if they are full single issues. Everything else will appear, I dunno, probably more or less as originally published.

It's either that or in chronological order.

Riso posted:

Thanks! It's hard to pin down the tone of the series. For me, anyway. Most folks refer to it as a comedy, but outside of Dr. Dinosaur I don't see it. We just aren't afraid to let our characters point out what the audience is probably already thinking: this poo poo is weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

There are two multi-part stories that each come to 24 pages. Those will be arranged as if they are full single issues. Everything else will appear, I dunno, probably more or less as originally published.

It's either that or in chronological order.

Thanks! It's hard to pin down the tone of the series. For me, anyway. Most folks refer to it as a comedy, but outside of Dr. Dinosaur I don't see it. We just aren't afraid to let our characters point out what the audience is probably already thinking: this poo poo is weird.

I dunno man, Robo deadpans a lot and it's often hilarious. And he does hilarious poo poo all the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Robo says some drat funny stuff all the time. His tirade about the evil computer is probably one of the funniest moments in the series. Him yelling at his Action Scientists for using Wikipedia is easily a close second though.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love Atomic Robo. Setting up Thomas Edison as Tesla's archenemy was a stroke of brilliance.

And yes, Doctor Dinosaur has been used so drat well.

"Trickery! Mammal trickery!"
:psylon: "I'm a robot!"
"MAMMAL ROBOT!"
:psylon: "That doesn't even make sense!!!"

EDIT: Also CRYSTALS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I love Atomic Robo. Setting up Thomas Edison as Tesla's archenemy was a stroke of brilliance.

And yes, Doctor Dinosaur has been used so drat well.

"Trickery! Mammal trickery!"
:psylon: "I'm a robot!"
"MAMMAL ROBOT!"
:psylon: "That doesn't even make sense!!!"

EDIT: Also CRYSTALS.

There is a Proactive commercial that ran last year that heavily featured that word. And every time they said it I could not help but yell out "CRYSTALS!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hyperactive, have you read High Roads? I ask because tonally it's very in-line with Atomic Robo. I blew through it in one sitting last night, and while it had some mis-steps I thought it was a lot of fun.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

Hyperactive, have you read High Roads? I ask because tonally it's very in-line with Atomic Robo. I blew through it in one sitting last night, and while it had some mis-steps I thought it was a lot of fun.
I haven't but that looks like fun. Thanks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It isn't perfect (and it plays the "cheesecake" card once in a while, but no moreso than any Indiana Jones movie does) but it's totally unapologetic about being really goofy fun. The main "hero" is pretty hilarious just in how straight-laced he is. I wouldn't quite say he's "naive", more that he's... "principled", I guess. :v:

Similarly, the Rocketeer comics (both the original Stevens ones that IDW has reprinted, and the more recent "Rocketeer Adventures" anthology stories IDW has been running) are awesome and a total blast.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really love the art too. Robo is so INCREDIBLY expressive even though he's a robot and doesn't have the normal facial muscles that humans do. You can see him being incredulous, annoyed, bored, upset, etc just by how those eye covers narrow and how they're oriented.

One very nice subtle element is that when you see younger Robo from Tesla's day, you can totally tell from his face that he's really naive. He doesn't have as many eye-expressions as he does in his later years, so he comes off as more fresh-faced and sunny about things, like a friendly puppy who hasn't yet learned about how frustrating other people around him can be.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Similarly, the Rocketeer comics (both the original Stevens ones that IDW has reprinted, and the more recent "Rocketeer Adventures" anthology stories IDW has been running) are awesome and a total blast.

Glad to hear that--I'd been looking at those for a while, having fond memories of the movie. I'll have to pick those up soon too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Glad to hear that--I'd been looking at those for a while, having fond memories of the movie. I'll have to pick those up soon too.
With some minor exceptions, the movie is amazingly true to the comics. I know Joe Johnston had to fight tooth-and-nail to get the studio to agree to it, but the Rocketeer character design in the movie is essentially 100% accurate to the source material. The rocket-pack in the comic is a little bit different, but not distractingly so. I'd love it if they made another Rocketeer movie - the original was a blast, and the comics (both original and current) are a rip-roaring good time.
I've got this guy standing on my shelf right now and he's absolutely perfect:

Which reminds me, when are we going to see awesome Atomic Robo merchandise and stuff? :rodimus:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 16, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Xenomrph posted:

Which reminds me, when are we going to see awesome Atomic Robo merchandise and stuff? :rodimus:

Hopefully not until I get disposable income again.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I'm not big on figures or stuff usually but I'd totally buy an Atomic Robo for my desk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've got that badass Dr Dino on my bookshelf but I'd kill for a Robo action figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Len posted:

Well then you'd better hurry the gently caress up. <:mad:>

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I've got that badass Dr Dino on my bookshelf but I'd kill for a Robo action figure.

You can't make a post like this and then not post pictures of Dr Dino on your bookshelf.

Len posted:

Well then you'd better hurry the gently caress up. <:mad:>

Also do I smell a team-up?????

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Xenomrph posted:

We really screwed up when we didn't put a prehensile genital nose into Robo's design :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, the TF2 dudes in Real Science Adventures #2 was unexpected.

Also, you didn't mention you worked on a Spider-Man book.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Endless Mike posted:

Well, the TF2 dudes in Real Science Adventures #2 was unexpected.
To me too! The script called for them to be clearly BASED on TF2. What we got was, well, true to that, but a little too much. Still, it's cool and Valve has a history of being friendly about stuff like this.

quote:

Also, you didn't mention you worked on a Spider-Man book.
But I have! Just over on Twitter. Had a lot of fun with that story.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rhyno posted:

http://www.splitreason.com/product/nuklearpower/848

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Instapurchased.

Like I didn't even hesitate.

However I wouldn't mind even more sweet Robo merchandise. :rodimus:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said ACTION figure!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

But I have! Just over on Twitter. Had a lot of fun with that story.
Weird, I must have missed those tweets.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Xenomrph posted:

So I pre-ordered vol 6 on Amazon.com literally a day before Hyperactive made a post saying vol6 was out, but the website is saying it doesn't ship until... July 6th or something? Surely that's incorrect, right?

My Amazon pre-order just shipped. July was probably just a placeholder date.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spikey posted:

My Amazon pre-order just shipped. July was probably just a placeholder date.
Yeah I just got an Email saying my preorder would ship "sooner than expected", but I haven't gotten shipping confirmation just yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For any goons planning to go to Gencon event registration goes live tomorrow and there are quite a few robo games. I'm planning to go to the one Friday at 2. It could be cool to get a goon group.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I saw someone ask about it earlier, Comixology now has the collected edition of volume 6 up for purchase. I remembered seeing it up briefly, a few days ago, but it had been pulled when I checked back. Not sure why. Seems to be up for good this time.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Space_Butler posted:

I saw someone ask about it earlier, Comixology now has the collected edition of volume 6 up for purchase. I remembered seeing it up briefly, a few days ago, but it had been pulled when I checked back. Not sure why. Seems to be up for good this time.
The link!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Only slightly Robo related but will there ever be another Marvel series in the style of Infinity Gauntlet or do fun books not sell well enough for them to bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Only slightly Robo related but will there ever be another Marvel series in the style of Infinity Gauntlet or do fun books not sell well enough for them to bother?

Sadly Marvel hates fun these days.

• Locked thread