Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

Zero! Sort of. They've always been super supportive of the property. We use Midtown as our semi-official source for online orders.

That's awesome. It was funny to see the comic keep flipping back in and forth in his hands as the camera angle changed so the cover would always be visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Zero! Sort of. They've always been super supportive of the property. We use Midtown as our semi-official source for online orders.

So they're who we should go to after that HeavyInk guy lost his poo poo?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

So they're who we should go to after that HeavyInk guy lost his poo poo?
Sure. We have links to Robo issues on Midtown all over our site for just this purpose!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Robo in the comic shop was brilliant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey Hyperactive what dice will the Robo game be using?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fudge dice as is standard with FATE games, but it's easy to use six-sided dice instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Fudge dice as is standard with FATE games, but it's easy to use six-sided dice instead.

Hopefully the guys at Gencon will have those then. I don't have any :/

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Len posted:

Hopefully the guys at Gencon will have those then. I don't have any :/

They're pretty common these days, you should be able to get them at any good game store and they'll definitely have them all over the place at GenCon.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

rantmo posted:

They're pretty common these days, you should be able to get them at any good game store and they'll definitely have them all over the place at GenCon.
Totally correct. You'll practically drown in them there.

But seriously ordinary d6 works fine. Just determine which values are + and - and 0. It's a little awkward at first, but it becomes second nature pretty quick.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Just wanted to chime in and thank Brian for one of the funniest series I've read in a long, long time. I know it's been said that Hellboy wasn't as much of an inspiration as it might seem, but Atomic Robo has managed to scratch that particular itch for me in a hilarious way. I think it's the art style more than anything that does it, in the sense of how the characters physically interact and express themselves. I was chatting with a friend of mine about it, and it was mentioned how incredibly expressive Robo manages to be, even when his only facial features are a pair of mechanical eyes. Compared to say, Tim Buckley, who has the entire human face at his disposal yet is still only capable of the same vacant, dopey expression after years of experience, it really shows the difference between a good artist and a bad one.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 3, 2012

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I take it Jenkins is to Atomic Robo what Chuck Norris is to Real Life (sort of).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

No, because Jenkins is actually cool and a good character and does useful things.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Two new issues come out tomorrow.

You should get them.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Well those were two pretty great issues Hyperactive, so thanks for that. The Bruce Lee story continues to be hilarious (and the one set in the Chinese villiage was appropriately :3:), and the She-Devils are shaping up to be a really cool team. They seem to be a good mix of archatype and unique personality and it's nice to have a team without insane amounts of drama.

Also this is the first time I've gotten to read this weekly since catching up so just wanted to say the series in general has become one of my favorites. I think I was hooked when Robo made the comment about what was the hardest thing about being him at the end of Vol 1, but "Shadow From Beyond Time" is probably my favorite story so far. And it's been said but Dr. Dinosaur is amazing and I'm glad you're not overusing him.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

gogisha posted:

Well those were two pretty great issues Hyperactive, so thanks for that. The Bruce Lee story continues to be hilarious (and the one set in the Chinese villiage was appropriately :3:), and the She-Devils are shaping up to be a really cool team. They seem to be a good mix of archatype and unique personality and it's nice to have a team without insane amounts of drama.
Thanks! My favorite running gag is how Robo is never the star of his own team ups. Having your main character kick the doors in and show everyone else how he's the coolest is an easy trap to fall into. As well, though, we've got make sure Robo isn't Worf-ed, where the villain of the week knocks him around to show how cool the new guys are.

Bruce Lee is obviously the exception. If anyone earned the right to legit beat up a super strong robot, it'd be him.

Navigating between those perils, I think, strikes a nice balance that let's us up-sell the competence and expertise of both Robo and his Guest Star(s) without either party overshadowing the other. So, then you just have these colorful characters who share a common goal, but have conflicting opinions about how to get there.

We've got some audio commentary for the first issue of She-Devils with more on the way!

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Yeah, don't know why I didn't notice it before, but he is always playing second banana to whatever story he's in. It's even funnier when he complains about doing something his team members can't do (like not worry about an exploding trap).

Just a side question, is RSA also a limited series like the rest of the volumes or is it gonna be an ongoing anthology type deal as long as you've got stories to tell?

Also sorry for the fanboyish nature of this, but have you ever said what Robo's supposed to sound like? Based on his text boxes I imagine something metalic, but that's about as far as I get.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

gogisha posted:

Also sorry for the fanboyish nature of this, but have you ever said what Robo's supposed to sound like? Based on his text boxes I imagine something metalic, but that's about as far as I get.

I tend to imagine Robo sounds like The Big Guy from the 90's cartoon series.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

gogisha posted:

Just a side question, is RSA also a limited series like the rest of the volumes or is it gonna be an ongoing anthology type deal as long as you've got stories to tell?
It'll be a series of limited series like the regular series. SERIES.

The first volume of RSA is just these six issues. We have a ton more stories to tell, it's just a matter of figuring out how to tackle them for the next volume.

quote:

Naw, everyone asks that. We don't have a specific voice in mind, but: basically male, some robotic distortion, a fairly neutral accent.

Ha. Not quite that sort of delivery, but the distortion would be along those lines, yeah.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
They made a cartoon series off that book? Holy crap, I had no idea. Fox Kids and Frank Miller...huh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was wonderful wednesday. I went to the comic shop and got three Robo issues. They finally managed to scrape up the first issue of She Devils for me. Diamond shorted them when it came out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bumping the thread for a post from a break during the RoboRPG playtest. The system seems fun but this particular session isn't the best. I almost got raped by a nazi at the start of it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Len posted:

Bumping the thread for a post from a break during the RoboRPG playtest. The system seems fun but this particular session isn't the best. I almost got raped by a nazi at the start of it.

Who the gently caress is running that session?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

That got weird fast :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rantmo posted:

Who the gently caress is running that session?

It was Andy Blanchard.

The game was a lot of fun after it got rolling and past the rape bits. I'm going to spoiler what exactly happened because I know another goon goes tomorrow and I don't know if they're using the same scenario all weekend or not.

Our party consisted of Boilerplate a steam powered robot, Adam Frankensteins Monster, a British Femme Fatale (me), an American soldier and JR Oppenheimer in the body of a schnauzer. The mission was to get JR back in his real body.

I only got almost raped because one of my attempts at rapporting information from a Nazi made him think I was trying to seduce him. I didn't roll high enough so I succeeded with a major consequence. Almost rape was the DM's answer.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

Almost rape was the DM's answer.

Ugh, gently caress that guy. I wish I could've gone to GenCon this year, as this would probably be the only time I'd sit down and play an RPG with strangers (I just don't get the appeal of that). Is the game for sale too, or are they just demoing?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

bairfanx posted:

Is the game for sale too, or are they just demoing?
Oh, lord no. Spring 2013.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bairfanx posted:

Ugh, gently caress that guy. I wish I could've gone to GenCon this year, as this would probably be the only time I'd sit down and play an RPG with strangers (I just don't get the appeal of that). Is the game for sale too, or are they just demoing?

Waiting at GenCon for my demo to start! Wooooo

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Deathlove posted:

Good luck! I'm working on some of my contribution to the book right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deathlove posted:

I hope you don't get almost-raped :ohdear:. The rest of the group even made off topic jokes about how because I was a femme fatal I probably gave it up willingly more than one time :( I'm just not going to play RPG's with random people ever again.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Picked up Atomic Robo volumes 4, 5, and 6 yesterday. I am enjoying Dr. Dinosaur a ton.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I hope you don't get almost-raped :ohdear:. The rest of the group even made off topic jokes about how because I was a femme fatal I probably gave it up willingly more than one time :( I'm just not going to play RPG's with random people ever again.
That is all super disappointing.

IronSaber posted:

Picked up Atomic Robo volumes 4, 5, and 6 yesterday. I am enjoying Dr. Dinosaur a ton.
That is radical.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hyperactive posted:

Seriously, the worst of gamer culture is on par with the worst of comics culture. :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

After that bit of bad awful it got a lot better. I said gently caress his idea and used the system to decide to be a saboteur. So as we made our way through Frankensteins Castle I rigged it all to explode. The system does seem pretty solid and I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Len posted:

If you didn't have a lovely GM, you wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. And at the derision from your fellow players, Robo should have walked in to give them a stern and snark-filled talking-to, while Jenkins practiced his exciting new joint locks on the GM.

Seriously, gently caress that whole table. I hope this didn't put you off of gaming. It's so much more fun when you're not going down a game session story river with a bunch of douchecanoes.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Read this as -canos as in volcanos at first.

Not sure which I prefer!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Hey Hyperactive, I just finished Volume 6 (which I couldn't put down until I read it front to back, no joke), and I wanted to confirm something: Robo picks up a different sidearm in the volume part way through. Was this handgun based on the 2" barrel Chiappa Rhino?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

IronSaber posted:

Hey Hyperactive, I just finished Volume 6 (which I couldn't put down until I read it front to back, no joke), and I wanted to confirm something: Robo picks up a different sidearm in the volume part way through. Was this handgun based on the 2" barrel Chiappa Rhino?
Yup!

We'd originally agreed on a total rip off of the Wesson PPC but Scott opted for the Rhino at the last minute.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 20, 2012

plaindot
Dec 26, 2005
awesome
God drat this comic hits all the right spots for me, and robot protagonist is always the way into my heart. Someday I'll get the TPB but for now I can only be content with my comixology purchases..

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

plaindot posted:

God drat this comic hits all the right spots for me, and robot protagonist is always the way into my heart. Someday I'll get the TPB but for now I can only be content with my comixology purchases.
A purchase is a purchase! Glad you're digging it. I'm so far ahead of our publication schedule (Vol 8 has been written for months) that I'm taking a break from scripting and it's driving me nuuuuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Hyperactive posted:

A purchase is a purchase! Glad you're digging it. I'm so far ahead of our publication schedule (Vol 8 has been written for months) that I'm taking a break from scripting and it's driving me nuuuuts.

I know you can't get into specifics, but is your per-sale profit from comixology as good as print? I prefer it since I only read 2-3 comics (including Robo) and can't justify rummaging through a bunch of comic shops. Not to mention the new iPad screen is just damned perfect for reading with, and I've seen Atomic Robo get front-page spots on Comixology.

• Locked thread