Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Did a mockup for a Gundam Witch from Mercury fighting game inspired by Gundam Wing Endless Duel for the Super Famicom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Seshoho Cian posted:

Did a mockup for a Gundam Witch from Mercury fighting game inspired by Gundam Wing Endless Duel for the Super Famicom.

Hell yeah, I loved Endless Duel. I need to check out Witch from Mercury too...

I finished this sucker

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, my child, you've only just begun.

now make the game

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I don't know how I hadn't posted about this yet.

I got contracted last year to do animations for Double Dragon Gaiden, as well as managed to get another artist friend hired to do other pixel stuff for it as well! I'm not at liberty to say what yet (it didn't show up in the trailers yet) but I am very excited to see my work in a big game like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0ff_uZQrY

Also here's some other stuff I've done idk:

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 6, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Shoehead posted:

I finished this sucker

I thought I was in the romhack thread and I got excited :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didnt end up posting this part but I hated how sites were cropping my Star Wars thing so I added another panel

And then Ars Technica wrote to me about it:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/05/star-wars-lukes-awakening-fan-art-imagines-2d-zelda-in-the-star-wars-universe/

Since then I've been in a bit of a job induced depression and I havent been able to draw a lot.. I started messing around with sprites again this week

This one was too tall for my needs but I'm thinking about Gameboy color sprites again, as usual for me now. MAde it a bit smaller but I think I managed to keep the character in there

Not that many... frames.. oh

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I don't know how I hadn't posted about this yet.

I got contracted last year to do animations for Double Dragon Gaiden, as well as managed to get another artist friend hired to do other pixel stuff for it as well! I'm not at liberty to say what yet (it didn't show up in the trailers yet) but I am very excited to see my work in a big game like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0ff_uZQrY

Also here's some other stuff I've done idk:

haha I literally just found you on twitter like yesterday, I was looking through your work and I was like "huh these mechs look familiar.."

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
Your works are always a pleasure to look at, shoehead! :D

I did some stuff on a vintage Macintosh SE I restored earlier this year.

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/kqsufSC

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Those look great Shoehead I love the little Yoda. how long did that sprite sheet take you?

That's some really good work bredfrown, looks very atmospheric.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

bredfrown posted:

Album:

I miss having a CRT, one of these days I'll find a trinitron or something I can run slideshows on.

Has anyone made a really well refined CRT emulator? I find they always look too forced, too harsh, and you can often see the 'edges' of the layers that the shaders are creating?

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Scut posted:

Has anyone made a really well refined CRT emulator? I find they always look too forced, too harsh, and you can often see the 'edges' of the layers that the shaders are creating?

I would love, love, love this!
Even if it were just to view images. I've been using a shader that I've heavily modded in my other project, but I'd like to see how it compares to an actual screen or very accurate emulator.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the issue with doing a really accurate CRT shader is it needs a crazy high resolution to really look authentic, so most shaders go more for the "feel" of a CRT display rather than aiming for a 1:1 recreation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you're getting nostalgic about the CRT you'd see playing console games on TVs, are you taking CRT or CRT+composite video, too, a lot of the old effects people remember came from the composite cable.

And if you're talking emulating old computer CRTs, well, those worked in a bit of a different way that would need to have different things emulated and it's gonna be annoying trying to find shaders for that because most of your results will be for TVs, so... good luck?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the issue with doing a really accurate CRT shader is it needs a crazy high resolution to really look authentic, so most shaders go more for the "feel" of a CRT display rather than aiming for a 1:1 recreation.

There's nothing that can be done about low-intensity stuff, too. Just entire sections of the visible space in CRT that LCD simply can't do. Physics is kind of rude there.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Can't bring myself to use asperite, how do i curb my graphics gale dependence??

Also i wish i could be less perfectionist when making stuff, especially sprites i have no idea how some if you don't go mad constantly revising your stuff

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ash Crimson posted:

Can't bring myself to use asperite, how do i curb my graphics gale dependence??

Also i wish i could be less perfectionist when making stuff, especially sprites i have no idea how some if you don't go mad constantly revising your stuff

Pick up ProMotion?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ash Crimson posted:

The best illustrator I know seriously told me once "stop giving a poo poo" and it works for him. You're not helping yourself and your art by stressing out about it

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Haven't found much time recently to code & draw, so I've just started a new project.
This time i'm using a palette from Lospec (very slightly modified Hept32 from Endesga). This seems to work better than my attempts without one.

I'm not happy with the hard material borders (the 'rock' area surrounded by 'soil'), but that's an issue for the distant future.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 9, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

bredfrown posted:

[...]
What's the resolution of those images?We had a ... Mac II, i think. And I remember it's display to be much rougher...

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 9, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Recently made a little thing in aseprite.
Unsure what I want to make yet for a first timer game. Can't decide on an engine or anything really.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Wipfmetz posted:

What's the resolution of those images?We had a ... Mac II, i think. And I remember it's display to be much rougher...

The SE I'm working on here, and I think this goes for most, if not all compact Macs has a 512 × 342 resolution display.
Which honestly, for that time period, is pretty good.

This SE was slow as molasses, so I grabbed an accelerator for it and it's on-par with a Mac II in terms of performance.
I've been very happy with it :)

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Unsure what I want to make yet for a first timer game. Can't decide on an engine or anything really.

GameMaker is what I've been using for about 5 years now, and I went in with no experience whatsoever with programming and stuff.
I want to say they have a free version now in their subscription model, too!

I've heard a lot of good things about Godot and Unity as well.

For me, GameMaker has been working out very well, and I've been able to do pretty much all I've wanted from a 2D engine in it.
I'm making an action-RPG like Zelda with some turn-based elements, and it's been working just fine for that, but once you get a good understanding with how it works, and this goes for any engine, your imagination's the limit.

Also, I love this! The art is cute and the animation feels very fluid and it's got a good "weight" to it in the jumps! :)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're not particularly inclined to coding, Construct 2 is the best in a long line of game creation tools that use a super quick and easy to pick up visual coding system.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

This is a good little kitty.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

bredfrown posted:

GameMaker is what I've been using for about 5 years now, and I went in with no experience whatsoever with programming and stuff.
I want to say they have a free version now in their subscription model, too!

I've heard a lot of good things about Godot and Unity as well.

For me, GameMaker has been working out very well, and I've been able to do pretty much all I've wanted from a 2D engine in it.
I'm making an action-RPG like Zelda with some turn-based elements, and it's been working just fine for that, but once you get a good understanding with how it works, and this goes for any engine, your imagination's the limit.

Also, I love this! The art is cute and the animation feels very fluid and it's got a good "weight" to it in the jumps! :)

I had a full version of gamemaker studio pro at one point but that was many PC's ago, I tried getting into godot but the way objects are parented just refuses to make sense to me. It offers languages I'm more interested in than unity at least but the way it's set up is just not for me.
Also thank you~ It's honestly my first animation that wasn't a simple walk or idle so I'm happy I implemented some stuff well.

feedmyleg posted:

If you're not particularly inclined to coding, Construct 2 is the best in a long line of game creation tools that use a super quick and easy to pick up visual coding system.

Thing is I want to get better at coding but I'm not particularly against the idea of visual coding if it worked better for me. I've never heard of construct 2 so I'll check it out.

Wipfmetz posted:

This is a good little kitty.

Thanks! I've been playing with the idea of this character at different sizes for a while now but haven't committed to anything yet. All I know is they jump good.

E:
Bonus here was a couple other weird cat dudes.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 10, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Thing is I want to get better at coding but I'm not particularly against the idea of visual coding if it worked better for me. I've never heard of construct 2 so I'll check it out.

Actually you want Construct 3, my brain is bad :doh:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

feedmyleg posted:

Actually you want Construct 3, my brain is bad :doh:

I was going to ask because I saw it when looking at construct 2, noted!
I'll definitely play around with C3 and GM2 when I feel like I have a better brain board of what I want to do.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Grey Cat posted:

I love this little baba

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's not much, made a couple sprites and animations, but it's what I was able to make playing around with construct for a few hours.
There's hope for my dumb ideas yet.

Also felt like the GBA's resolution is nice to use, feels toony in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyy_YG1XaE

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 12, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

It's not much, made a couple sprites and animations, but it's what I was able to make playing around with construct for a few hours.
There's hope for my dumb ideas yet.

Also felt like the GBA's resolution is nice to use, feels toony in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyy_YG1XaE

You might like the wonderswan/wonderswan color resolution and color profiles.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

leper khan posted:

You might like the wonderswan/wonderswan color resolution and color profiles.

I had to look that up, i have a vague memory of seeing some videos on these. I think that's more colors than I want to work with though since I might go for sets of 2bit palettes for different areas (Big maybe on the 2bit).

Unless I'm misreading its color specs or misunderstanding what you mean by color profile.

The resolution is pretty similar though! So I could definitely play around with the ws resolution.
224x144 WS
240×160 GBA

The ws resolution might be more interesting to design around just because it's a little more restricted.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I had to look that up, i have a vague memory of seeing some videos on these. I think that's more colors than I want to work with though since I might go for sets of 2bit palettes for different areas (Big maybe on the 2bit).

Unless I'm misreading its color specs or misunderstanding what you mean by color profile.

The resolution is pretty similar though! So I could definitely play around with the ws resolution.
224x144 WS
240×160 GBA

The ws resolution might be more interesting to design around just because it's a little more restricted.

Wonderswan had 16 shades of gray, with 8 visible at a time. Across 16 palettes that had 4 shades each.

Wonderswan color has a couple color modes, but the most prevalent had 16 palettes of 16 colors in rgb444

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

leper khan posted:

Wonderswan had 16 shades of gray, with 8 visible at a time. Across 16 palettes that had 4 shades each.

Wonderswan color has a couple color modes, but the most prevalent had 16 palettes of 16 colors in rgb444

I there a way to find these palettes? Most of the resources seem to not have much info on that beyond how to program it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I there a way to find these palettes? Most of the resources seem to not have much info on that beyond how to program it.

For the b&w, you pick 8 colors from the sixteen shades of gray. Then pick 4 colors from those per palette. For color, you pick 15 colors from rgb444 and color 0 is transparent.

If you want to see what palettes were used in a particular game, a lot of emulators let you look at the palette data.

jammiesjammer
Feb 14, 2023

bredfrown posted:

Album:

holy poo poo this is awesome. i really hope one day you did a dungeon crawler proper because these pixel arts rule!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

So, uh... I am in need of doing a sideview of a wall climb animation.
I also found that while there are lots of references for walk animations, there's nearly none for a wall climb.

Does anybody have an advice or link for me?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Wipfmetz posted:

So, uh... I am in need of doing a sideview of a wall climb animation.
I also found that while there are lots of references for walk animations, there's nearly none for a wall climb.

Does anybody have an advice or link for me?

https://www.mixamo.com/

There are a bunch of climb animations on here and you can scrub through them frame by frame.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Nice one, thank you.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

jammiesjammer posted:

holy poo poo this is awesome. i really hope one day you did a dungeon crawler proper because these pixel arts rule!

You're in luck!

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

I recently got an SE/30 restored a couple of months ago and decided to turn it into a pixel art machine (just basic lineart though since it can only do 1-bit black & white).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Here, have two dudes showing a forest what's what.

Only registered members can see post attachments!