Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
:siren::siren::siren::siren:WITCHER 3 E3 GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE:siren::siren::siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9vH4OVZy0
Presented during Microsoft's press conference, so judging from that and the interface having the relevant controller buttons, this is almost assuredly running off of an Xbox One.

:siren::siren::siren::siren:WITCHER 3 E3 TRAILER:siren::siren::siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Killing Monsters trailer YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO WATCH THIS
:siren:THE REDKIT HAS ARRIVED:siren:

CURRENT PATCH: FEBRUARY 21, 2013 - 3.3 FOR PC
CURRENT NEWS: FUCKIN' REDKIT, BABY

[Official site] - You may want to avoid the forums here. Like all official forums, they are... not good.
[Good Old Games store page]
[Game manual courtesy of Steam]
[Previous SA Thread]

[Enhanced Edition Launch Trailer - True Hero] - Pretty loving rad.
[New Elements Trailer] - Kickass trailer with a brief summary of the new content in the Enhanced Edition.
[Enhanced Edition Intro Cinematic] - WATCH THIS
[The Story of The Witcher 1] - A surprisingly good recap of the first game. Worth a look.
[What is a Witcher] - A neat, informative video of what, exactly, a Witcher is. This and the following video are a good indicator of what the game feels like.
[52 and a half] - Nothing to do with the story, really more of a showcase of the RED Engine. Pretty neat, nonetheless.
[The Bard: Savior of Queens] - Better than Geralt could ever be.

[The Witcher 1 Intro Cinematic] - For completion's sake.
[The Witcher 1 Ending Cinematic] - For completion's sake. Why Foltest trusts Geralt so much.

[Wiki]
[Nexus Modsite] - A word of warning: many mods haven't been updated to work properly with the Enhanced Edition patch.

What is this "Enhanced Edition" nonsense?
In May of 2011, CD Projekt RED released The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings on the PC. On April 17, 2012, The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition was released on the Xbox 360, and as a free patch on the PC. Like the enhanced edition patch for the original Witcher, the patch brought numerous fixes and gameplay balances, as well as hours of additional content (largely in Act 3, previously a very small, epilogue-like chapter) and an expanded ending.

CDPR offers a free backup copy of The Witcher 1 and 2 through GoG if you purchased the game via another method! - [Redemption page] - All you need is your CD key/product code. For Steam users who don't have a key, or if you've lost your key, check the sidebar for a link to further instructions.

Do I need to play The Witcher 1 first?
The short version is no. While the stories of each game are not entirely self-contained, the Witcher 2 does familiarize you with the characters and events of the first game decently enough. As posted above, this video - [The Story of The Witcher 1] - gives you a good summary, though you miss out on character details.

I however do recommend playing the first game - [GoG store page] - but go in understanding that the gameplay is... divisive to say the least, and the game's performance may vary wildly; it was built off of the Aurora engine, which was used for Neverwinter Nights 1 and was showing its age even when Witcher 1 first game out. It's perfectly understandable and no one will look down on you for playing on easy and blowing through the game without challenge. If you do play it, do your best to stomach Acts 1 and 2. They're slow, plodding, and not very indicative of the moral grey areas the Witcher loves to play in. Act 3 and beyond will be sure to captivate you.

I keep dying this game is too hard
The biggest spike in difficulty for the Witcher 2 comes from unfamiliarity with the controls and combat systems. There are a couple pieces of advice that will help you to grasp the full breadth of Geralt's arsenal of abilities and equipment.

1: Read the manual! You know how most manuals are totally loving useless nowadays? Not this game! Give it a gander. Free copy can be found here, courtesy of Steam.

2: Do the tutorial! It's short, informative (as how a tutorial should be, but also in how the world generally views Witchers), and actually pretty funny. You won't walk away a master, but you'll at least know how everything works. And don't be discouraged if you get curbstomped by the final waves, I'm fairly experienced at the game and it happens to me regularly.

3: Use Quen. They nerfed it, and it still is the best. Unupgraded, it absorbs one blow. Maxed out, when someone attacks you, they just die. Keep in mind, however, that while Quen is active, Vigor won't regenerate. This can be problematic early on when you have a low pool of Vigor to work with, and with the new Fatigue system, having no-to-low Vigor can significantly impact your damage dealing capability.

4: Don't play fair. I think this is the most important rule to follow. You're almost always outnumbered, but never outmatched. There's a reason you have two swords, bombs, traps, signs, throwing knives, potions, and a deep, sexy voice: you're not supposed to be on an even keel with whatever fool attacks you. Do whatever you can to win, because there is no reward in how you kill them, just that you kill them.

5: There are no wrong decisions! In purely gameplay terms, there are no wrong decisions. In most instances, you're given the same reward, or something comparable, from different decisions to the same question. Only in very rare, and frankly pretty obvious circumstances do you get a straight lesser reward for not selecting a certain response.

Dark Mode is not for a first playthrough. On Dark Mode, many things can and will kill you in one hit.

Oh god look at all of these talents I don't know where to put them
There's no real wrong way to distribute talents. All of them are useful to some degree. A good start is to cover the basics, what seems like the stuff you absolutely cannot fight without; from the Witcher tree, you'll want the ability to throw daggers and to block arrows. The talent that gives you faster Vigor regeneration is worth putting two points in, as it will give you +1 Vigor, which is invaluable early game. From the swordsman path, riposte and one point in dodge roll (personally, I like putting two points in dodge roll). From the alchemy path, grab the talent that increases bomb and potion strength, and from the mage/sign path, more Vigor and upgraded Quen and Aard. That'll give you a good baseline of power. From there, it's up to you. Again, there's no wrong way to distribute talents.

Mutagens
You'll notice a little circle next to some of your talents after you invest points in them. That means you can slap a mutagen on it. You'll find mutagens as loot from monsters. Once you slot a mutagen to a talent, you cannot replace or remove it. Therefore, it's recommended that you sell (or use for brewing potions) any mutagen that doesn't contain the Greater prefix to maximize your potential.

So what's all this bullshit talk about two Act 2's
It isn't bullshit, fake questioner! Depending on your decision of who to side with at the end of Act 1, you'll be taken to two different locations with different characters, quests and motivations that carry over into Act 3! Moreso than other games of this nature, this is a massive reason for a replay. My suggestion is to make a save when you are given the quest entitled At A Crossroads, and stash it away, so when you finish the game you can skip the prologue and Act 1 and simply choose the other side.

Why do a lot of the men in Flotsam not have pants?
It's a muggy forest, and a lot of them work in muddy water. I wouldn't wear pants, either.

CDPR says it was a bug, one that they refuse to fix because of artistic integrity it's too funny.

Personal note
I hope to keep this thread updated for as long as interest remains in the game. Hopefully with the release of EE, mod-making will get started back up, and if we're really lucky, CDPR will release a toolset, making the job easier THEY'RE DOING IT, HELL YEAH :woop: I really enjoy this game, and the developers are classy people, who've done things to support the game and community in ways that other companies would charge for or outright not do.

The most important thing is to enjoy the game and bang lots of women, and kill the occasional monster.

All of the screenshots (save for deal with it Saskia just above) were taken by me, everything save for ubersampling maxed out.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Mods!
While there aren't many, this game is halfway mod-friendly, and some good ones do exist. [The Witcher Nexus] is where we're going for our mods. To repeat the earlier warning: many mods haven't been updated for the Enhanced Edition. But never fear! That's what I'm here for.

Most mods go in the CookedPC folder. Check the mod's readme for any specific instructions.

Gibbed's RED Tools - This is what you want if you want to get into modding.

:siren:The Witcher 2 Tweaker:siren: - A more-detailed configuration tool. A must have for squeezing out as much performance and quality as you can out of the game. :madmax: Recommended! :madmax:

Witcher 1 Final Saves - Self-explanatory. Go ahead and snag one to use for import, there's no harm in not doing so.

Savegame manager - While I do enjoy the fact that the Witcher 2 painstakingly avoids overwriting a save file, this means your save folder can balloon up to obscene sizes, and cause performance issues, including lengthening load times. I recommend doing some cleaning when you have 20+ saves. :madmax: Recommended! :madmax:

Comfy Couch - Increases text size of many elements, most notably the journal, loot tables, quest text, the combat log (thank loving god) and NPC one-liners. First playthrough safe! :madmax: Recommended! :madmax:

Dynamic HUD - Cleans up the HUD out of combat. I'm a sucker for dynamic UIs and stuff. If you want to use this and Comfy Couch together, Comfy Couch has a dzip with both mods merged. First playthrough safe! :madmax:Recommended!:madmax:

Simple compilation - A couple of individual XMLs to make Geralt's life a little easier to a whole lot easier.

Remove Dark Mode Visual Effects - Personally, a must. The Dark Mode desaturation effect is neat, but really annoying. This slightly alters how the Dark Mode curse and bonus work.

Complete Equipment Overhaul - After a first playthrough, this is the most impactful mod you could use. It drastically alters all of the equipment in the game, to give you a more steady, even-handed progression, instead of the sharp spikes found in the beginning and end of each Act.

Weightless Recipes and Schematics Plus - Does exactly what it says. First playthrough safe!

Reduced-price Dark Mode Items - Reduces the price, both in orens and in crafting materials, of the Dark Mode armor and weapon sets. Even if it's your first time through Dark Mode, I recommend this mod, if only to save yourself the serious tedium of grinding for money and materials. This goes in CookedPC/items, you may have to create the items folder.

Increase Geralt's carry weight to 500 - It... well, increases Geralt's carry weight to 500. This is actually quite an easy edit to make. If another mod you downloaded has a geralt_basic.xml, you can change carry weight by editing a single line. Open up the xml and look for under # Various group:
code:
<max_weight mult="false" always_random="false" min="500" max="500"/>
and change the min and max to whatever number you wish. This goes in CookedPC/abilities. First playthrough safe! :madmax: Recommended! :madmax:

Retextures
For the most part, the retextures available for the Witcher 2 are crap. People with no eye for style and no skill with photoshop doing stupid poo poo like giving Geralt Naruto eyes and poo poo. There are, however, a few solid, if not downright great retextures out there. All of these are first playthrough safe.

There's no accounting for personal taste, but I've tried to keep a high standard for quality in what I put in this section.

Better Texture Environment - These retextures are surprisingly competent, keeping in line with the original textures' style, and I haven't seen any noticeable impact on performance. At time of this writing, the weapon retextures have not been updated for EE, and cause problems.

Return of the White Wolf - Gives Geralt back his milky white hair, instead of the grey he has currently.

Slight face lift - Gives Geralt's skin a little more color, and cleans up the huge purple bags around his eyes. This and Return of the White Wolf are hugely recommended, I think it makes Geralt look a lot better. Install this after the above mod.

Scabbard re-textures - Some pretty kickass scabbard retextures, really gives them some good flavor. I prefer worn leather.

Blue Stripes Combat Jacket - A solid recolor of the Blue Stripes jacket you can get via DLC and Mysterious Merchant.

Concept art/trailer Dragonscale Armor - Retextures the dragonscale armor to what we saw in concept art and early trailers. Looks pretty drat good, really nailed the colors.

Tips and Tricks
1) There is a boss fight towards the end of Act 1 that is a total cock your first time around (when it happens is fairly obvious, I'd say, but if you're willing to brave a very slight spoiler, it's when you and Iorveth confront Letho. He has essentially your entire skillset, and his AI likes to abuse it. This is the fight that made me realise how important my earlier-mentioned mantra "don't fight fair" is. There are a couple ways of tangling with this boss: the first is simply using everything you got. Guzzle some potions, sharpen your sword, coat it in oil, load up on bombs and throwing daggers, and get ready for some liberal sign usage. Go for three hit combos, as he will likely parry and counter a fourth hit, and liberally use Quen and dodge roll. I prefer this method because I'm a stupid baby for ~immersion~ and it feels like a more impactful and tense fight.

Of course, the easy way is fun, too, because you're basically just giving this boss the finger for five minutes while he kills himself. It requires a bit of preparation, by way of hunting the forest for a bunch of snare traps. When the fight starts, try and get the boss caught in a Yrden, and get to laying snares, then have fun watching the boss get his leg chewed up by a bunch of dumb monster traps. Hey, it ain't honorable, but Geralt isn't a knight. he's a loving witcher and he doesn't care what you think.

2) At times in the story, you'll play a character other than Geralt. Now, in theory this doesn't sound too terrible, especially considering I can't remember any situation where you have to fight more than one battle as another character there is one instance where you fight as another character for an extended period during Act 2, except for the fact that they take away pretty much everything that makes Geralt a badass; you have nothing other than a single sword which you swing slowly and stupidly. No bombs, no signs, no dodge roll. One thing that does carry over, and will make these segments leagues easier, is the swordsman path talent Riposte. Get it quickly, and get good at it, it can save you a lot of frustration.

3) A suggestion for quest order early in Act 1. (Minor spoilers)Receive the Mystic River quest by investigating the crashed boat near the kayran investigation site and visit Luis Merse so you can convince him to give you the key to the Royal Post box before visiting Loredo at night. Mystic River also spans multiple acts. In Act 1, when you're told to keep an eye out for more wrecked ships up-river, you've done all you can for that quest in Flotsam.

Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

Additionally, there's a quest given to you by a man leaning against a wall on the docks concerning the herbalist in town. Leave this quest for late in Act 1, as the conclusion of the quest unfortunately prevents you from accessing that merchant anymore, and he's a decent source of aether reagents, which can be hard to amass early on. There is another herbalist near the beach in Lobinden, but if you're a potion fiend like I am, it's nice to have both available for as long as possible.

4) Your save folder can and will balloon in size very rapidly. There's a chance you could hit some unknown cap, and even though the game may tell you it saved, new ones won't be generated. This is personal experience, I don't know if it affects others, but the more saves I had, the worse my in-game performance. I recommend regularly going to Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves and culling the folder. If you have cloud storage activated through Steam, this location is most likely Steam\userdata\(your Steam ID)\20920\remote\

5) Money can be hard to come by. Dice poker is the fastest, but also the riskiest way to make money, by virtue of the fact that everyone in the world but Geralt is a loving cheater. Fist fighting is decent, tedious, and fairly safe, but slow. Arm wrestling is the safest, but also the least profitable.

What I like to do is buy some bait, wade deep outside of any safe zone, and do some good old fashioned monster hunting. Not counting dice poker, hunting is the best way to make money, as you can amass a sizeable chunk of parts to sell. You also get some good witcher fightin' practice out of it.

6) Are you on the PC? Are you struggling to defeat even the weakest of weaklings when it comes to arm wrestling? Well, stop working your rear end off like a stagecoach! Use your mouse, as all you have to do is keep the icon in the zone! It is literally 7.3 times easier with a mouse than a controller.

I'll be collecting more good tips to make your stay in the Pontar Valley a little more pleasant.

Vargatron gave us a fantastic write-up for what you should expect in Dark Mode.

Vargatron posted:

Dark Mode FAQ/Guide

I've decided to do a little write up on Dark Mode since I haven't seen any posts that are devoted to this particular difficulty (other than a few tips and suggestions here or there). I'll try to touch a few points in terms of what you can expect in difficulty and combat preparations.

A quick word: I would suggest that you at least play Hard mode before jumping into Dark Mode. It will give a sense of how much the damage increases from normal mode and hopefully help you get used to the tactics that I describe below.

So how hard is Dark Mode exactly?

Dark Mode is essentially Insane difficulty but you have the ability to reload save games upon death. You'll probably die in short order on your first trip out into the forest in Act 1, but that's okay! The most common cause of death is getting backstabbed (seriously, a nekker can one shot you with started equipment if you let him get behind you). Not only is damage received super high, but you have a greater incidence of having critical effect inflicted upon Geralt. Nothing sucks more than to take a grazing swipe from an Endrega only to die a few seconds later due to poison.

What about those cool armor sets you get for playing Dark Mode?

There are three new armor sets that you may craft in Dark Mode. One for each act. You'll notice a journal entry which describes a bit of lore behind each set. The diagrams are a steep investment, and the materials are costly, but each set is worth it and really helps out with the difficulty curve.

Act 1 - The Blasphemer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~2000 Orens - Sold by Berthold Candelaria at the dwarven smithy in Flotsam.

Act 2 - The Oathbreaker's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~4000 Orens - Sold by Lasota in the Kaedweni camp or by Mael in the market area in Vergen.

Act 3 - The Kinslayer's Outfit - Diagram Cost - ~6000 Orens - Sold by Bras of Ban Ard in Loc Muinne.

The material quantities are quite high for each of the sets, however I would strongly suggest that you are able to produce oil, robust cloth, heavy leather and studded leather. There are all base materials that each set uses in good quantity. The rest of the materials may either be scavenged or purchased from vendors.

Holy gently caress, that's a lot of money, so how am I going to fund these armor sets?

Arm wrestling, dice poker and fighting are all "safe" ways to collect funds, albeit painfully slow. Dice poker is potentially the fastest, but it also the riskiest. Arm wrestling and fighting are about equal, but I prefer arm wrestling since I hate QTEs.

Farming Nekker Teeth and Hearts, as well as Harpy Feathers are also pretty decent ways to gain extra money, due to the relative ease of finding and killing these fiends.

How should I approach combat in Dark Mode?

The first thing you need to keep in mind is that every single enemy you face has the potential to kill you very quickly. Even the lowly Nekker can kill you with a few swipes to the back if you are caught out of position. Plan your tactics according to the danger.

The first combat point I'll make is that you need to keep moving at all times during encounters with large groups. You can't afford to get flanked or surrounded due to the danger of a unlucky backstab. I dodge in and around enemy groups to create separation and pick off individual monsters with hit and run tactics. If possible, coat your blade with either Arachnid Oil or Brown Oil depending on enemy succeptibilty. Bleeding or poison damage is essential to hit and run tactics and will really improve your chances.

Another good thing to bear in mind is that you must utilize *all* of your combat skills in order to effectively survive in Dark Mode, no matter your talent specialization. Bombs, daggers and signs need to be mixed in with your regular attacks to create distance and provide crowd control as the situation warrants. Traps can also be a good addition, however I rarely use them personally. They can definitely assist with your battlefield control, so I would experiment and then make a decision.

A few quick tips:
-Aard is great for interrupting incoming attacks and creating openings for Geralt. It also can potentially stun weaker enemies, allowing for a quick finisher.
-Yrden is essential in facing larger enemies that are snarable. You can either get into backstab position to deal major damage, or simply ignore the trapped enemy and focus on other foes.
-Keep a good supply of Grapeshot bombs for large clustered groups of enemies. Samum is also good and provides a chance to stun.
-I prefer dodging attacks over parrying them, since parrying doesn't completely eliminate damage taken. The counter to this is shielded enemies or if you have taken the Riposte talent. Still it's often riskier setting up a riposte than it is just dodging away.
-Watch your back! Always be aware of the enemies around you and prevent them from maneuvering to your backside. The Position talent can help with this.

What kind of potions should I be using?

Since the rate of damage is so high in Dark Mode, there is an argument for using only offensive oriented potions and ignoring vitality regeneration. I'm an advocate of running with Tawny Owl, Rook and Golden Oriole. Since low vigor imparts a fatigue penalty to damage, Tawny Owl helps keep vigor levels up and gives you greater options for sign use. Rook is a flat +10% damage boost that can be subbed for Thunderbold if you are feeling particularly bold (and can handle the -50% to vitality and regen). Golden Oriole is probably the most important as it increases critical effect resistance. Bleeds and poisons are extra deadly in Dark Mode.

What specialization is the best for Dark Mode?

All of the specializations are fine. For my particular playstyle, Magic is potentially the strongest with Alchemy and Sword coming in second and third respectively. I'll list a few key points for each spec below.

Magic:
-Strongest crowd control options.
-Highest potential vigor.
-Strong group damage potential.
-Most ranged focused.
-Heliotrope sign slows down opponents in the field.

Alchemy:
-Strongest bombs and traps of any tree.
-Greatly improves oil and potion duration.
-Enables the consumption of 4 potions.
-High toxicity imparts combat bonuses.
-Increases potion buffs while drastically decreasing potion debuffs.

Sword:
-Greatest damage reduction of any tree.
-Highest potential health increases.
-Buffs to critical effect chance.
-Increases vigor regeneration and reduces parry costs.

If you are unsure on which spec to choose on your initial Dark Mode playthrough, I would suggest taking the Magic tree due to the aforementioned ranged and crowd control improvements. The vigor increases also help immensely.

That's about all I can think of for now. Please let me know if I left out anything important or if anybody else has any helpful tips that I neglected to mention.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 26, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Yay, my thread title suggestion got used! :toot: That's a great OP, too, Hobo. I had no idea there mods for the game even existed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe I can finally get around to finishing the witcher 2 now!

[e]How do you check for your witcher 2 game keys on steam? Normally you can just right click on the title in the libary, but it's not working for whatever reason

Thanks, I didn't know they had a special steam method
VVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 22, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Maybe I can finally get around to finishing the witcher 2 now!

[e]How do you check for your witcher 2 game keys on steam? Normally you can just right click on the title in the libary, but it's not working for whatever reason

There is no key on Steam. If you want to get it on GOG, you can use the option where you give them your Steam account and profile name and they'll check to see if you have the game on there.

Alternatively, you can use regedit to find the key: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30158230 but that method didn't work for me.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
Is there a list somewhere that shows what the enhanced edition changed/added?

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Just a heads up for anyone using a 16:10 aspect ratio. Any of the new cutscenes (barring the intro one) won't display and instead only give you a black screen with sound.

You'll have to play in 16:9 if you want to see the new stuff. Afaik there isn't a fix or acknowledgement of this bug yet.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Valkrye posted:

This is mostly just bugfixes.
http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/151
http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/152

The Quake posted:

Just a heads up for anyone using a 16:10 aspect ratio. Any of the new cutscenes (barring the intro one) won't display and instead only give you a black screen with sound.

You'll have to play in 16:9 if you want to see the new stuff. Afaik there isn't a fix or acknowledgement of this bug yet.

Given CDPR's track record, I would guess we'll see a hotfix within two weeks, or a larger patch within a month.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Valkrye posted:

Here's a list of everything from the readme.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Plough has definitely become one of my favourite words thanks to this series. :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are the bonuses for using Intimidate/Persuasion?

I tried Persuading those guys in the intro to start down that path, but it's never stuck, and since I end up going Magic every game anyway, the Axiii trick usually works much better for me. Just curious what kind of buffs I'm giving up in the process, since the +5 Sign Strength is actually really nice.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rookersh posted:

What are the bonuses for using Intimidate/Persuasion?

I tried Persuading those guys in the intro to start down that path, but it's never stuck, and since I end up going Magic every game anyway, the Axiii trick usually works much better for me. Just curious what kind of buffs I'm giving up in the process, since the +5 Sign Strength is actually really nice.

Axii dialogue is the only one that unlocks a bonus ability. Persuasion and Intimidation options don't confer any bonus abilities but in some convos you'll only be able to use 1 or 2 of the options. In a lot of convos in chapter 2 & 3 I only had the option to use Intimidate but its possible there are some hidden checks that determine which option is available to you.

Axii Chat: For those of you who've made it this far: Act 3 Iorveth's Path EE-added quest spoilers ahead: Towards the end of this quest you have a conversation with a Golem and one of the dialogue paths allows you to try an Axii on him. I reloaded my save 5 times to try and get the successful outcome but every time my attempt failed (the Golem says something like a witcher should know that simple charms don't affect him). Has anyone been able to pass this check? . I've already beaten the game but something in me really wants to know if this particular dialogue check is just a red herring.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 22, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really think a "Weightless everything minus weapons/armor" should be added to the OP. Ingredients and such that you're supposed to horde for the whole game quickly take up too much weight, especially things like iron.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really think a "Weightless everything minus weapons/armor" should be added to the OP. Ingredients and such that you're supposed to horde for the whole game quickly take up too much weight, especially things like iron.

If you find a mod that does that, I'll add it. For now, you can download my geralt_basic.xml, and put it in CookedPC/abilities, and this'll increase Geralt's carry weight to 500. If you want to change it (or if you already have one), open the file up in notepad and do a search for this line:

code:
<max_weight mult="false" always_random="false" min="500" max="500"/>
and change both 500s to whatever you wish.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 22, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What does the game control like on PC? Am I better-off hooking up a gamepad?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

goferchan posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I couldn't stand playing with KB/M with this game. I was having a terrible time and greatly disliked the game till I plugged in my controller, and now I love it, it was night and day for me.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

goferchan posted:

It's really fluid with either gamepad or keyboard & mouse. The game was designed with both input methods in mind and it really shows. The best way to decide is to try each one.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I haven't played this game in a while or even finished it (stopped near the Succubus scene) but if anyone is thinking of getting this game, get it. These guys are the Gabe Newells of Europe and deserve your support.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It's my understanding the W2:EE is not compatible with old game saves, is that true?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaal posted:

It's my understanding the W2:EE is not compatible with old game saves, is that true?

Oh I hope not, I'll hurt something if I have to do those horrible QTE fistfights again.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
It's compatible, I loaded a late-game save from around 4 months ago just to get into a random fight and see how exactly parrying and quen had been changed.
Controller/Keyboard chat: I tried using my gamepad for the first time today, some parts of combat, dodging in particular, felt slightly easier, but targeting felt a little weird. It'd probably be slightly better on the whole once I got used to it, but I don't think using a controller for everything that isn't combat is worth it. And it's not like anything feels bad by any means with a mouse and keyboard.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I was just looking for a thread like this when I purchased it for the 360 yesterday :) It's fantastic thusfar, thanks for that story vid!

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh I hope not, I'll hurt something if I have to do those horrible QTE fistfights again.

Horrible as in hard or just tedious? They're super easy once you figure out that where the prompt flashes on the screen corresponds to which button you push. At least it does for the PC version, not sure about the 360 version.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Horrible as in hard or just tedious? They're super easy once you figure out that where the prompt flashes on the screen corresponds to which button you push. At least it does for the PC version, not sure about the 360 version.

The only good thing about the fights is the hilarious opponent name.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just went through that ridiculous sex scene in chapter 1 again. Somehow it's still more tasteful than any of the ones in the ME series. I mean, that's not a very high bar, but still.

Also can I just say that this game has the best costumes, both in artistry and technical execution, of any game ever made by like ten loving miles?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Wow! I beat the game a few months ago on Roche's path and thought it was fun but I was really confused. Beat it again on Iorveth's path and WOAH! that was awesome. So much more of what is going on is explained. What a great, cohesive, well told modern RPG. Really puts the Bioware stuff to shame.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also can I just say that this game has the best costumes, both in artistry and technical execution, of any game ever made by like ten loving miles?

Geralt's starting outfit puts anything Bethesda's ever done to shame.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wachepti posted:

Wow! I beat the game a few months ago on Roche's path and thought it was fun but I was really confused. Beat it again on Iorveth's path and WOAH! that was awesome. So much more of what is going on is explained. What a great, cohesive, well told modern RPG. Really puts the Bioware stuff to shame.

Chapter 2 is the height of the game especially the unique nature of the quests and also getting to see what the opposing side is trying to accomplish.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah, the two paths was really cool, but I ended up enjoying Chapter 3 A LOT more this time around because I knew what everyone was after, and what the stakes were.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just went through that ridiculous sex scene in chapter 1 again. Somehow it's still more tasteful than any of the ones in the ME series. I mean, that's not a very high bar, but still.

Yeah if there were video game awards for set and costume design, this game would win 'em all. I never really stopped to look at this crazy, creepy altar in the prologue my first time though. Look at that thing!

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren:Save Game Compatability Stuff:siren:

People playing on pre-EE saves have reported a game-stopping bug on Iorveth's path during the end parts of Act 2. The Devs are working on that issue but also said that pre-EE saves may cause problems in certain points.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wachepti posted:

Yeah, the two paths was really cool, but I ended up enjoying Chapter 3 A LOT more this time around because I knew what everyone was after, and what the stakes were.

But even with the small quest improvements it's nowhere as in-depth or rewarding as going through Chapter 2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's so many elements of the design of this game that get me riled up in a good way. At its most basic level it's how practical all of the outfits are as clothing. They're sufficiently fantasy, to be sure, but they're practical. It's stuff that you see and think "yeah, people would wear that."

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

They don't go through with the whole "everything must be oversized" Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic that's become massively overdone in anything that takes place before the 1800s in games now. They make everything look like people could live in a lot of stuff and it makes the fantasy stuff stand out better while making a world that feels like it could exist

Also, I'm thinking of turning off in-game AA to fix the shadow visuals issue. I'm talking about those weird hash mark looking shadows. Is there an issue with forcing AA temporarily while playing through the control panel on an ATI card?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Loredo is a fat gently caress but those clothes make him look good anyway.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sputty posted:

They don't go through with the whole "everything must be oversized" Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic that's become massively overdone in anything that takes place before the 1800s in games now. They make everything look like people could live in a lot of stuff and it makes the fantasy stuff stand out better while making a world that feels like it could exist

Well it's a low fantasy setting hence the more realistic weapons and other details.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I personally like the outfit Foltest wears.

Snappy dresser, charismatic as hell, loves loving way too much. He's basically Witcher-verse Bill Clinton!

I just did the opening fight again (Did not feel like starting from my pre-EE saves). Did my game do somthing weird, or did they suddenly give you the Blue Stripes Jacket? Also, did they make that segment with capturing the ballista easier, or is it just me getting back on the combat bike, so to speak?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's so many elements of the design of this game that get me riled up in a good way. At its most basic level it's how practical all of the outfits are as clothing. They're sufficiently fantasy, to be sure, but they're practical. It's stuff that you see and think "yeah, people would wear that."

I loving love this kind of poo poo. Nothing breaks immersion for me quicker than having to nitpick about seeing a soldier pull a sword out of his crotch.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Personally the game seems to be much easier now than when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wachepti posted:

Personally the game seems to be much easier now than when it first came out.

Maybe, but a lot of the challenge when you first play the game is learning the flow of battle, and knowing when to use potions, bombs, traps, and everything else (i.e. All the time).

• Locked thread