Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

"Unlucky7 posted:

I just did the opening fight again (Did not feel like starting from my pre-EE saves). Did my game do somthing weird, or did they suddenly give you the Blue Stripes Jacket?

They made all the initial pre-order DLC available to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's so many elements of the design of this game that get me riled up in a good way. At its most basic level it's how practical all of the outfits are as clothing. They're sufficiently fantasy, to be sure, but they're practical. It's stuff that you see and think "yeah, people would wear that."
Even the pants bug in Flotsam is, when you break it down, practical. Although they must catch hell from the mosquitoes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Even the pants bug in Flotsam is, when you break it down, practical. Although they must catch hell from the mosquitoes.

It's telling that I never noticed it until people I really started looking.

Also,

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition: Increasingly Inappropriate Usage of Farming Terms

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 22, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Torsade de Pointes posted:

They made all the initial pre-order DLC available to everyone.
And there's an option to turn them off in the config menu now, which I was super excited about. I hate pre-order bonuses that just dump overpowered equipment into your inventory at the start. It was especially annoying in this game, since it would automatically equip the Blue Stripes jacket at the beginning of every section of the tutorial.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Hannibal Smith posted:

And there's an option to turn them off in the config menu now, which I was super excited about. I hate pre-order bonuses that just dump overpowered equipment into your inventory at the start. It was especially annoying in this game, since it would automatically equip the Blue Stripes jacket at the beginning of every section of the tutorial.

I think they towned down the DLC as well. The Blue Stripes Jacket actually has less armor than the starter one now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Plough has definitely become one of my favourite words thanks to this series. :allears:

And it's even used in Russian for the famous Putinism, Пахал, как раб на галерах.

Being ploughed like a gallery slave.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Hannibal Smith posted:

To be fair they just nerfed it pretty good. I got rid of the Blue Stripes Jacket pretty quickly after I got to Flotsam.

Also I discovered a fairly easy way to kill Letho without feeling too cheap. I didn't even use Quen, I just dodged quite a bit (having the 150% roll/dodge skill is almost a must) waited for his quen to wear off. Once it does get in as close as you can and blast him with Aard, and do a heavy-heavy-light combo on him, should be able to get it off every time if you were close enough.

I had an easier time killing Letho this way on dark difficulty then killing him in normal on my first playthrough.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

The costumes are very cool and all but I don't know where you guys are getting "practical" from. They have so many drat belts on everywhere in the most useless of places. Again, looks cool, but I wouldn't go so far as to say someone would seriously wear that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I updated the tips and tricks section at the end of the second post, I hope you guys find this of some use.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Tips and Tricks
1) There is a boss fight towards the end of Act 1 that is a total cock your first time around (when it happens is fairly obvious, I'd say, but if you're willing to brave a very slight spoiler, it's when you and Iorveth confront Letho. He has essentially your entire skillset, and his AI likes to abuse it. This is the fight that made me realise how important my earlier-mentioned mantra "don't fight fair" is. There are a couple ways of tangling with this boss: the first is simply using everything you got. Guzzle some potions, sharpen your sword, coat it in oil, load up on bombs and throwing daggers, and get ready for some liberal sign usage. Go for three hit combos, as he will likely parry and counter a fourth hit, and liberally use Quen and dodge roll. I prefer this method because I'm a stupid baby for ~immersion~ and it feels like a more impactful and tense fight.

Of course, the easy way is fun, too, because you're basically just giving this boss the finger for five minutes while he kills himself. It requires a bit of preparation, by way of hunting the forest for a bunch of snare traps. When the fight starts, try and get the boss caught in a Yrden, and get to laying snares, then have fun watching the boss get his leg chewed up by a bunch of dumb monster traps. Hey, it ain't honorable, but Geralt isn't a knight. he's a loving witcher and he doesn't care what you think.

2) At times in the story, you'll play a character other than Geralt. Now, in theory this doesn't sound too terrible, especially considering I can't remember any situation where you have to fight more than one battle as another character, except for the fact that they take away pretty much everything that makes Geralt a badass; you have nothing other than a single sword which you swing slowly and stupidly. No bombs, no signs, no dodge roll. One thing that does carry over, and will make these segments leagues easier, is the swordsman path talent Riposte. Get it quickly, and get good at it, it can save you a lot of frustration.

3) A suggestion for quest order early in Act 1. (Minor spoilers)Receive the Mystic River quest by investigating the crashed boat near the kayran investigation site and visit Luis Merse so you can convince him to give you the key to the Royal Post box before visiting Loredo at night.

Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

Additionally, there's a quest given to you by a man leaning against a wall on the docks concerning the herbalist in town. Leave this quest for late in Act 1, as the conclusion of the quest unfortunately prevents you from accessing that merchant anymore, and he's a decent source of aether reagents, which can be hard to amass early on.

I'll be collecting more good tips to make your stay in the Pontar Valley a little more pleasant.

If you guys have anything of your own you think I should add to this section, please let me know.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks for this thread.. I just rage deleted my witcher 1 game from Steam because I hadn't played it for about 6 months and was completely lost. I did enjoy the 20+ hours I put into it and am excited to finally get to play the second one.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Welp, I might have to restart.

I'm in Chapter 2, infiltrating the camp, after going through the Mist. However, I saved inside of a tent, and when I go outside I'm spotted right off. Stuns don't carry over to reloads. Awesome... My other save is around ~3 hours progress lost, and I should probably just start over since I know what the hell now.

gently caress, I was really into the game too but now my will to play as just been sapped.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

The Quake posted:

The costumes are very cool and all but I don't know where you guys are getting "practical" from. They have so many drat belts on everywhere in the most useless of places. Again, looks cool, but I wouldn't go so far as to say someone would seriously wear that.
Geralt carries a lot of weird poo poo around with him but, have to those mushrooms somewhere.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Coughing Hobo posted:

Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

Seriously? How vital is this? I started a new game when the EE patch hit and went through every single side quest and area I could find in Act 1, but apparently must have missed that one.

Because the save folder for this game can get so bloated I've been deleting saves as I go and I'm now in Chapter 2, so unless I restart entirely I won't be able to do this.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Nice job on the OP, Coughing Hobo!

This thread has given me the Witcher bug and I'm installing the EE now. Gonna play Dark Mode 2 for the first time. Also, you know I'm going Dwarf City because what happens in Dwarf City stays in Dwarf City.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Woah keep an eye on your witcher saves in the Wither 2 folder in 'My Documents' (all users)

I just deleted 3.5 gigs of old-rear end saves.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

dihaploidy posted:

Seriously? How vital is this? I started a new game when the EE patch hit and went through every single side quest and area I could find in Act 1, but apparently must have missed that one.

Because the save folder for this game can get so bloated I've been deleting saves as I go and I'm now in Chapter 2, so unless I restart entirely I won't be able to do this.

It's actually a joke. The thing that has far-reaching consequences is a funny tattoo that you're stuck with unless you go for a magical tattoo removal

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I think I'm going to load up one of those imported saves from the OP, since importing the Raven's Armour and the best swords from the Witcher really turns the difficulty curve on it's ear. Hell, the only DLC I'll use will probably be the Mage pants since they are stylish as hell.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Shyrka posted:

It's actually a joke. The thing that has far-reaching consequences is a funny tattoo that you're stuck with unless you go for a magical tattoo removal

Oh okay, I won't worry about that until I do a second playthrough then, Thanks for the explanation.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dihaploidy posted:

Oh okay, I won't worry about that until I do a second playthrough then, Thanks for the explanation.

More accurately Geralt, Ves and the Blue Stripes go drinking, and many shenanigans occur. It's not the most important quest, and most people will miss it, but its funny and helps flesh out the charaters,

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

What's the significance of using the Royal Post Box at Loredo as opposed to Luise?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does the 360 version cut anything out compared to the PC version? My computer just does not love this game on PC and I haven't even made it through the tutorial all the way as a result.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I can't find my saves, and I can't remember which path I took on my one play-though.... Guess it's off to find some summaries and hope I can figure it out.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Lotish posted:

Does the 360 version cut anything out compared to the PC version? My computer just does not love this game on PC and I haven't even made it through the tutorial all the way as a result.

Nope, its just like the PC version. It even comes with the same extras.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The game-breaking bugs (that only occur with pre-EE savegames) have to deal with wheels that you rotate with mini-QTEs. There are at least two I know of--one in the prologue for the gate, and one in Act II on Iorvith's path.

CDPR say to use a save game prior to the act that they occur in to avoid the issue--so if you have a Iorvith-path saved game you'll want to rewind back to the end of Act I if you can. They may/may not be able to put in a fix.

New games are unaffected.

Edit: What's this "fatigue" system that I've seen mentioned?

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 22, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Quake posted:

What's the significance of using the Royal Post Box at Loredo as opposed to Luise?
To mail the letter, nothing, but having the key when you go to Loredo's just guarantees you don't miss the letter in Loredo's box, which most people I imagine miss.

OAquinas posted:

Edit: What's this "fatigue" system that I've seen mentioned?

Fatigue is based on how much Vigor you've used. There's some other calculations going on, but the gist is that the less Vigor you have from your maximum, the less damage you're dealing, e.g. if your Fatigue is at 20%, your attack is only at 80% efficacy. It's not a perfect ratio, though; I have six Vigor currently, and if I'm at 5/6, Fatigue can be anywhere from 1 to 9%. I've never seen Fatigue go above 60%, too, even with 0 Vigor.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So how difficult is "Dark" really? I've finished the game once on normal a few months ago and am wondering if I should just start a new dark difficulty game for a second EE run.

Did quen get nerfed hard? It was my main crutch to get through difficult fights really.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

FrickenMoron posted:

So how difficult is "Dark" really? I've finished the game once on normal a few months ago and am wondering if I should just start a new dark difficulty game for a second EE run.

Did quen get nerfed hard? It was my main crutch to get through difficult fights really.

Dark is harder than Insanity, though without the hardcore rule. Personally, I love it, it forces me to be a lot more aware of my surroundings, to be more opportunistic instead of domineering.

Quen did get nerfed, in a number of ways: the first is that no matter how upgraded it gets, it will only absorb one attack. And now with Fatigue also guarantees that with Quen active you won't be dealing full damage. It's still the best sign in your arsenal.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FrickenMoron posted:

If you've only played normal, it'll be a good challenge for you.

Nekkers can kill you on Dark, especially from behind. I know you see "approach each fight to avoid damage" but on Dark it's especially true...it's also a good idea to always walk around outside doped up (standard load for me is Swallow/Rook/Petre's Philtre), and meditate/drink more if it wears off.

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

Is there some sort of trick to winning at dice poker? After winning the first one to start the quest, I've literally lost 10 in a row.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't an entire sidequest and a way to affect another one.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Wesley Walker posted:

Is there some sort of trick to winning at dice poker? After winning the first one to start the quest, I've literally lost 10 in a row. I wouldn't care if it wasn't an entire sidequest and a way to affect another one.

It's pretty random, just try to get as many multiples as possible. The only trick is to save and reload.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Wesley Walker posted:

Is there some sort of trick to winning at dice poker? After winning the first one to start the quest, I've literally lost 10 in a row.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't an entire sidequest and a way to affect another one.

Save and reload.

Chance games in The Witcher series literally amount to a difficult opponent being 10x more likely to get the best possible hand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vertigus posted:

Save and reload.

Chance games in The Witcher series literally amount to a difficult opponent being 10x more likely to get the best possible hand.
Haha what, THAT'S how the difficulty of opponents is adjusted in dice poker?? Well, I guess this is a world of magic so I guess it shouldn't have surprised me. What kind of lunatic would even challenge someone to a game of chance in a world that's full of magic lucky talismans and stuff?

edit: speaking of dice poker, is there any kind of formal organization for it in chapter 1? Who do I need to beat in order to challenge the guy who has the troll head?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha what, THAT'S how the difficulty of opponents is adjusted in dice poker?? Well, I guess this is a world of magic so I guess it shouldn't have surprised me. What kind of lunatic would even challenge someone to a game of chance in a world that's full of magic lucky talismans and stuff?

The must dangerous lunatic of all: a RPG player character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vertigus posted:

Save and reload.

Basically, everybody but Geralt cheats at dice poker.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Witcher 2: Even our dice rolls have dice rolls.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of dice poker, is there any kind of formal organization for it in chapter 1? Who do I need to beat in order to challenge the guy who has the troll head?

Two guys in the tavern (by the fistfights) then the third guy there will play you, then you can play the dwarf bookstore owner, then you can play trollheadguy.

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

I just gave up. Saving and reloading doesn't help you win, it helps you not lose money. I lost like 13 straight games, I couldn't even beat the second guy. It's not worth the frustration.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I honestly think the game knows when you save and reload and just gives you worse odds each time. I tried to dice poker it up to get orens to build the first Dark set, realized this was a gigantic waste of time, went to go arm wrestle and punch dudes. Realized this was also going to be a gigantic waste of time.

So I went and downloaded the reduced price mod on all the Dark set items.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Saving and reloading is pointless tedium, just bet the minimum amount and always reroll all your dice. It's completely random but there is a good chance you will beat the other guy. I didn't save/reload through the 3 guys in the inn in Flotsam and it only cost me maybe 50 orens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah definitely don't use gambling as a way to generate money, I haven't had too many problems with it though.

• Locked thread