Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Lycus posted:

No, don't do that. Stick with your own choices. Whichever way you do it, it's always less fun if you're only doing what other people tell you to do.

Alright I'll stick with it then :).

Also, did I lose out on my chance to get a bad rear end tattoo from getting overly drunk? I just started Chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GoldenNugget posted:

Alright I'll stick with it then :).

Also, did I lose out on my chance to get a bad rear end tattoo from getting overly drunk? I just started Chapter 2.
Yeah, unfortunately, you missed it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
After playing both paths, I found siding with Iorveth infinitely more enjoyable. It's a bit more rewarding to aid egalitarian fantasy Joan of Arc than King Rape. When I was on Roche's path I kept waiting for an option to join Saskia's side but it never popped up.

Also, did anyone else not familiar with The Witcher's back story feel a bit confused why we were supposed to regard Nilfgaard as the bad guys? I mean I understood that they were aggressors in a past war, but between hearing about how the Emperor allowed the Elves to have their own kingdom, and seeing what complete racist fuckups the northern monarchs are made it seems like Nilfgaard wouldn't be that bad of an alternative.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

So the ending is a downer sure... but is there anything more satisfying than watching Sile explode? hahahahaha oh Letho you prankster

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

keiran_helcyan posted:

After playing both paths, I found siding with Iorveth infinitely more enjoyable. It's a bit more rewarding to aid egalitarian fantasy Joan of Arc than King Rape. When I was on Roche's path I kept waiting for an option to join Saskia's side but it never popped up.

Also, did anyone else not familiar with The Witcher's back story feel a bit confused why we were supposed to regard Nilfgaard as the bad guys? I mean I understood that they were aggressors in a past war, but between hearing about how the Emperor allowed the Elves to have their own kingdom, and seeing what complete racist fuckups the northern monarchs are made it seems like Nilfgaard wouldn't be that bad of an alternative.

Mostly just because they're an empire that is rather overly aggressive and ambitious. Trying to conquer the world is always seen as kind of a dick move, even when the rest of the world is run by assholes. And I do believe that they address how the whole elven land was never the paradise it sounded like. The Niilfgaardians are crafty bastards who don't mind the cost of bloodshed that their goals entail.

Plus everything so far has always been from a Northerner perspective, so it makes sense that most people don't have a kind view of their aggressors.

Wachepti posted:

So the ending is a downer sure... but is there anything more satisfying than watching Sile explode? hahahahaha oh Letho you prankster

Honestly, did anyone actually save her?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Davos posted:

The first time my friend played through the game, he saved her. He was working off of the assumption that anyone left alive will be useful sometime down the road, maybe not in this game, but the next, a la Mass Effect.

I tried to explain to him that in the world of the Witcher, once a bastard always a bastard, but he wouldn't have it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Davos posted:

I did... by accident. I just mashed the use button as soon as the option popped up, figuring my choice would come at that point. I didn't realize using the gem would automatically save her.

Oh well, maybe she'll still be hanging around in the next game!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Davos posted:

On Iorveth's Path, I let her die because I was pissed that Phillipa got away and someone in the Lodge had to pay for what they were doing to Saskia.

In my second playthrough on Roche's Path, most of my hate was for the Kaedweni leaders, not the Lodge. So I went ahead and saved her. If I recall, she repays you by telling you that Yennefer is alive and in Nilfgaard (same info you can get from Letho later anyway).

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 24, 2012

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Just starting, are there any specific items I should be watching out for; herbs, equipment, etc?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
I usually save her. She has some of my favorite lines in the game, like when you're trying to flirt with her in flotsam. "Is that how you see yourself, witcher?", and when she's dissing Dethmold.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After getting used to crafting in Skyrim, getting the Blasphemer's set made was loving painful even with the price cheat file. It's too bad there's so little gear variation in this game aside from filling Aeondight with moon runes.

Magical Zero posted:

I usually save her. She has some of my favorite lines in the game, like when you're trying to flirt with her in flotsam. "Is that how you see yourself, witcher?", and when she's dissing Dethmold.
FYI it's possible to pass that persuasion check.

Are you wearing make-up??

What I really don't like is how you can't save and explore the various conversations with her immediately after the Kayran fight.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 24, 2012

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Shumagorath posted:

You kind of gave the spoiler away there :( You can work out who all the previous spoilers were talking about from the context of the last line of your post. Could it maybe spoiler it? :)

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Donny posted:

Yes, this game will be far more fun if you avoid spoilers and just make the best decisions you can (or worst, for hilarity) based on the information you have.

I think my favorite thing about the Witcher 2's story structure is that I as the player never feel punished for the decisions I make. Sure Geralt may get hosed over once in a while but he'll manage.

Also I always save Sile because Letho is right. She's going to become a pariah in the Northern Kingdoms and when she inevitably gets caught I'm sure she'll wish she exploded instead.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

InvisibleHand posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Witcher 2's story structure is that I as the player never feel punished for the decisions I make. Sure Geralt may get hosed over once in a while but he'll manage.

Also I always save Sile because Letho is right. She's going to become a pariah in the Northern Kingdoms and when she inevitably gets caught I'm sure she'll wish she exploded instead.

Eh, while its a reassuring thought, you must remember that she is damned crafty, even among sorceresses. I wouldn't put it past her to find a way to survive, and no doubt to get involved with something that would make me want to put a sword through her all over again. Justice in the Witcher world needs to be cold and swift, I never saw any way in which letting her leave was a good act. Whether or not I would have killed her if I had the chance I'm not so sure of, but Geralt sure as hell isn't gonna save her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm playing the first Witcher for the first time, and despite the gameplay being pretty uninteresting I'm warming up to the rest. Are there any general tips to keep in mind to make the game more fun?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm playing the first Witcher for the first time, and despite the gameplay being pretty uninteresting I'm warming up to the rest. Are there any general tips to keep in mind to make the game more fun?

Play it on easy. I pretty much hated the gameplay to the first game, but the story is incredible. To make things magnitudes easier, crank Aard up as strong as you can, pump up its stun chance as high as possible, and you can trivialize a lot of fights with instant kills.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Aard is God in Chapter one, after that max out Igni. Be sure to get Herbalism early and harvest plenty of herbs. You run fastest in group style and the swamp is going to be a drag. Keep extra jewels and rings with the innkeeper in storage, so you can make gifts of them later. If you have duplicates sell them, though you'll be swimming in cash by the end. Fist-fighting while drunk isn't fun, when drinking open with a medium alcohol (wine or mead) for the first 1-2 drinks then stick with weak alcohol.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Play it on easy. I pretty much hated the gameplay to the first game, but the story is incredible. To make things magnitudes easier, crank Aard up as strong as you can, pump up its stun chance as high as possible, and you can trivialize a lot of fights with instant kills.

Yeah just play it on easy. The combat can get pretty annoying, especially later in the game where you have to keep running back and forth between a town and one area over and over again.

Also have fun figuring out whether mutants count as humans or monsters. The answer isn't exactly consistent.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Servetus posted:

Aard is God in Chapter one, after that max out Igni. Be sure to get Herbalism early and harvest plenty of herbs. You run fastest in group style and the swamp is going to be a drag. Keep extra jewels and rings with the innkeeper in storage, so you can make gifts of them later. If you have duplicates sell them, though you'll be swimming in cash by the end. Fist-fighting while drunk isn't fun, when drinking open with a medium alcohol (wine or mead) for the first 1-2 drinks then stick with weak alcohol.

With silver talents in Igni and potions on all the time (not hard to do once you're in chapter 2) the combat is pretty easy even on normal.

Vertigus posted:

especially later in the game where you have to keep running back and forth between a town and one area over and over again.

With group style on and your sword out you run faster by a decent amount. This area is still annoying.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Found another Enhanced Edition trailer to add to the OP. This one loving rocks, definitely worth watching.

[New Elements Trailer]

I've also added links to the into and ending cinematics to the Witcher 1.

[The Witcher 1 Intro Cinematic]
[The Witcher 1 Ending Cinematic]

If nothing else, it's worth seeing how CDPR's CGI has massively improved.

Hell, while we're at it, I added the Reduced Dark Mode Items mod to the second post.

Reduced-price Dark Mode Items - Reduces the price, both in orens and in crafting materials, of the Dark Mode armor and weapon sets. Even if it's your first time through Dark Mode, I recommend this mod, if only to save yourself the serious tedium of grinding for money and materials.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 24, 2012

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
As far as horrifying moments go, Roche's path has it won with (pretty big spoiler) walking into the tent filled with hanging Blue Stripes whereas when I played Iorveth's path last time Dethmold's end was incredibly boring. Nothing like Roche carving his junk into a vagina in the middle of his BDSM session. Seriously, night and day there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jetfire posted:

As far as horrifying moments go, Roche's path has it won with (pretty big spoiler) walking into the tent filled with hanging Blue Stripes whereas when I played Iorveth's path last time Dethmold's end was incredibly boring. Nothing like Roche carving his junk into a vagina in the middle of his BDSM session. Seriously, night and day there.
Roche's Path is definitely darker. I always liked the summation of: Iorveth's Path is more epic, while Roche's Path is darker and more dramatic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Roche's Path is definitely darker. I always liked the summation of: Iorveth's Path is more epic, while Roche's Path is darker and more dramatic.

And Roche is really Pro especially killing someone with a thrown two-hand weapon.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Coughing Hobo posted:

Reduced-price Dark Mode Items - Reduces the price, both in orens and in crafting materials, of the Dark Mode armor and weapon sets. Even if it's your first time through Dark Mode, I recommend this mod, if only to save yourself the serious tedium of grinding for money and materials.

I can't seem to find where I'm supposed to put the def_item_schematics.xml file for this mod

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is this ever coming out on PS3? How about the Witcher 1?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can just write off Witcher 1, for sure.

So I've got the game to play tolerably well, and had a general gameplay question: Should I save up armor enhancements for particular good gear or just throw it into whatever I have on?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Found another Enhanced Edition trailer to add to the OP. This one loving rocks, definitely worth watching.

[New Elements Trailer]

Holy crap. I want that music. Anyone know what it is?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

You can just write off Witcher 1, for sure.

So I've got the game to play tolerably well, and had a general gameplay question: Should I save up armor enhancements for particular good gear or just throw it into whatever I have on?

Generally Id say throw it on whatever you have on unless its something really cool. Even then youll probably find something better later so you may as well use it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coughing Hobo posted:

quote:

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard that Witcher 2 is better in every conceivable way, but I've already purchased the first, and I might as well go through it so I have an idea of what's happening in 2, and see what I've been missing out on. Is there a way to set the game to easy after starting it? I'm two hours in and don't want to redo everything, but don't see it under settings? Can I just change a value in a .ini file or something?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 24, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Davos posted:

I can't seem to find where I'm supposed to put the def_item_schematics.xml file for this mod

Oh, sorry. It goes in CookedPC/items

You'll likely have to create the items folder.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Lotish posted:

There's no need to save them, really. The only particular enhancement that's truly rare is the one you make out of kayran parts. Hell, you can buy a diagram for one of the all-around best ones in Chapter 1, and make as many as you'll ever need. Go ahead and use 'em.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2012

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lycus posted:

There's no need to save them, really. The only particular enhancement that's truly rare is the one you make out of kayran parts. Hell, you can buy a diagram for one of the all-around best ones in Chapter 1, and make as many as you'll ever need. Go ahead and use 'em.
Can you buy it again in Chapter 2? I just left :\

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Davos posted:

Eh, while its a reassuring thought, you must remember that she is damned crafty, even among sorceresses. I wouldn't put it past her to find a way to survive, and no doubt to get involved with something that would make me want to put a sword through her all over again. Justice in the Witcher world needs to be cold and swift, I never saw any way in which letting her leave was a good act. Whether or not I would have killed her if I had the chance I'm not so sure of, but Geralt sure as hell isn't gonna save her.

Sorceresses can permanently change the way they look with magic, that's why they're all beautiful. Pick out a new face, change your name, set up shop in a different country. The only hard part is building up your reputation again.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Stroth posted:

Sorceresses can permanently change the way they look with magic, that's why they're all beautiful. Pick out a new face, change your name, set up shop in a different country. The only hard part is building up your reputation again.

If I recall from the books (Yennefer related book spoilers) Yennefer was a hunchback when she was younger before she became a full sorceress and changed it with magic.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

PureRok posted:

Holy crap. I want that music. Anyone know what it is?

It wouldn't surprise me if it were original. It definitely fits the style of the rest of the soundtrack.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Donny posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it were original. It definitely fits the style of the rest of the soundtrack.

Found it. It's Day of Reckoning - Composer Terry Devine-King, Andrew Barnabas, Paul Arnold.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Beanpants posted:

If I recall from the books (Yennefer related book spoilers) Yennefer was a hunchback when she was younger before she became a full sorceress and changed it with magic.

Yeah, it's a running theme with sorceresses. Almost all of them have something like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

etalian posted:

And Roche is really Pro especially killing someone with a thrown two-hand weapon.

Roche is seriously one of the few genuinely likable characters in these games... Zoltan and Dandelion are two more. That was a large part of why I ended up siding with him my first playthrough, he was so much more likable than Iorveth.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least in chapter 1 they didn't do a good job of presenting Iorveth as anything but a bandit in the woods with delusions of grandeur (like probably all bandits in woods have). Loredo was a scumbag but it sure seemed like he had the right attitude towards the Scoiatel at least in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Never played it, or the first one, before. I am actually impressed at how fresh everything feels.

The three prisoners arguing about the guy who has the escape plan tattooed on his butt are hilarious.

• Locked thread