Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Dilber posted:

One last quote of babbys

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Another example:
The posts remind me of people who are deep into crazy conspiracy theories stuff.

Maybe CDPR should just troll them by replying that the Witcher is actually a Freemason/Illuminati project designed to enslave gamers' mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That would be more effective if they paired it with Ciri actually replacing Geralt as the playable character 1/3rd of the way through the game.

Also Ciri is now black.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

What do you think the chances are of an Enhanced Edition eventually coming out? I've already pre-ordered it but I'd be willing to wait an extra year after release to start fresh on the "complete" version.

I'd say high, considering both previous games got one. Although for 1 it was more about optimisations and adding extra stuff outside the game AFAIK. While the EE for 2 expanded gameplay. So I guess what kind of EE we get it depends on how broken 3 is at release. :v:

I wouldn't put off playing it either way. Even if it doesn't have the same branching story as 2, I imagine it being open-world will make for a lot of replayability. I played through 2 twice before the EE came out, first with Roche then with with Iorveth, and I'll play it again with Roche to experience the new chapter 3 before W3 comes out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dilber posted:

One last quote of babbys

I know in-engine cutscenes have come a long way, but how lovely do your eyes have to be to not tell a CG trailer from in-game?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

funakupo posted:

That is not what I said. Please argue your points within the confines of my statement. I did joke about a fingerprint smudged mobile phone viewing but I then stated it was the guy then jumping to the conclusion that the game was modified in any way intentionally to produce what he saw--I was mocking his powers of deduction. If there are visible texture differences between 2 videos of a game, then that is just that-- it is just an observed difference. There is not enough information to determine anything beyond that observation. There are so many points that could have introduced the issue observed in a video that have nothing to do with the development of the game. There literally is no evidence of a problem within the game itself. When there is actual evidence, then we can discuss the impact of said texture change.

But you can observe that the texture looks worse than the overall quality of the game. What possible reason could this have outside of game development? Even if it's a glitch, the reason is still to be found in game development.
And you initially said " deduce it couldn't be a number of other things in the delivery pipe to his viewing affecting quality", I just assumed you meant stuff between what the game actually looks like and what it is shown as in the trailer, i.e. compression of the video and such.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
If you guys keep arguing about the texture on that guy's foot I swear I'm burning this place down with you in it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GrossMurpel posted:

But you can observe that the texture looks worse than the overall quality of the game. What possible reason could this have outside of game development? Even if it's a glitch, the reason is still to be found in game development.
And you initially said " deduce it couldn't be a number of other things in the delivery pipe to his viewing affecting quality", I just assumed you meant stuff between what the game actually looks like and what it is shown as in the trailer, i.e. compression of the video and such.

Admit it, you're the guy in that original posting.

But really I just don't see what the big controversy is. Yeah the trailer doesn't look 100% perfect but it still looks drat good. Plus graphics are not the be all end all of a game's quality. I've played plenty of poo poo games that were really pretty to look at and plenty of great games that looked pretty awful or mediocre. It's not the early 90s anymore, it's time to stop fixating on this poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hey guys if you watch videogame trailers often and carefully enough to notice low-res textures you're a loving idiot

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Since when has any video game contained no low res textures anyway? You always encounter the occasional dodgy texture or weird LOD.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Admit it, you're the guy in that original posting.

But really I just don't see what the big controversy is. Yeah the trailer doesn't look 100% perfect but it still looks drat good. Plus graphics are not the be all end all of a game's quality. I've played plenty of poo poo games that were really pretty to look at and plenty of great games that looked pretty awful or mediocre. It's not the early 90s anymore, it's time to stop fixating on this poo poo.

Yes it is me, I am the babby.
For all I care they could actually downgrade the graphics so they look like W2. I honestly don't understand what it matters.
I will never stop arguing pointless semantics though :colbert:

Chalks posted:

Since when has any video game contained no low res textures anyway? You always encounter the occasional dodgy texture or weird LOD.

The worst part about video game graphics is that ground textures are almost always low res. What's the point of making your character models sharp as gently caress if you can't look at the ground without puking?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Memory reasons.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

GrossMurpel posted:

The worst part about video game graphics is that ground textures are almost always low res. What's the point of making your character models sharp as gently caress if you can't look at the ground without puking?

Holy poo poo I would be okay if developers just stopped making videogames on PC at this point

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
And that's that.

Though of course there'll still be people who'll howl their rage over the fact, that the game they get to play may look marginally less impressive than the game they wouldn't be able to play even if it was released.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If you guys keep arguing about the texture on that guy's foot I swear I'm burning this place down with you in it.

Can I help?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know why people expect characters models being the same quality than Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, etc. Of course the npcs are going to be in a second tier in comparison with the main characters.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't know why people expect characters models being the same quality than Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, etc. Of course the npcs are going to be in a second tier in comparison with the main characters.

MY IMMERSION

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

Holy poo poo I would be okay if developers just stopped making videogames on PC at this point

Sorry for looking at the ground.

Slashrat posted:

And that's that.

Though of course there'll still be people who'll howl their rage over the fact, that the game they get to play may look marginally less impressive than the game they wouldn't be able to play even if it was released.

Why wouldn't you compare every new release with a fantasy version of that same release but with better graphics? It almost makes too much sense.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I for one am perfectly fine with the delay because I'm sick of open world games that are massive but full of nothing of interest. Far Cry 3 really soured me on open world games (it was fun, but pretty loving boring outside of the missions) and I trust CDPR to change my opinion again :)

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm probably very much in the minority but the open world is the part I'm least excited about in the game and it's a shame so many resources are going towards it. I'd prefer a linear but more polished game every time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If this manages to be the first open world game that actually has a compelling plot and characters I will do inappropriate things to my computer while playing it.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I realized the only thing that would really turn me off from the game was if there was a Ciri/Geralt romance. Cause ewwwww.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There is absolutely no way that is going to happen. Come on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I havent read the books, what is so eeeww about that? All I know is from this thread: Ciri is pretty young and Geralt is pretty old....is there something else?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Bort Bortles posted:

I havent read the books, what is so eeeww about that? All I know is from this thread: Ciri is pretty young and Geralt is pretty old....is there something else?

Ciri is his adopted daughter.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Forgive them Father, for they have sinned. :pray:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

There is absolutely no way that is going to happen. Come on.

Ciri romance + sex card :getin:

Bort Bortles posted:

She's practically his and Yen's daughter.
Read the books, by the way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

If this manages to be the first open world game that actually has a compelling plot and characters I will do inappropriate things to my computer while playing it.

New Vegas wants a word with you

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
-nvm-

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 12, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lareine posted:

Ciri is his adopted daughter.

GrossMurpel posted:

Ciri romance + sex card :getin:

She's practically his and Yen's daughter.
Read the books, by the way.

:ohdear: I hope CDPR doesnt go down that road.

edit: and yes I would read the books if there were official English translations I could buy somewhere.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

New Vegas wants a word with you

Open world + compelling plot + poo poo actually worth exploring to see.

NV was cool. But I had no urge to actually explore just to see some more grey wasteland. W2 had a fantastic density to everything in it, and if they manage to keep it anywhere near that level (obviously they'll expand it somewhat) it'll be amazing.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

:ohdear: I hope CDPR doesnt go down that road.

edit: and yes I would read the books if there were official English translations I could buy somewhere.

Well get ready to read!

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Int...p=1418350475395

Available other places as well if you aren't American. Second book isn't translated, you gotta go :filez: for that one.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Open world + compelling plot + poo poo actually worth exploring to see.

NV was cool. But I had no urge to actually explore just to see some more grey wasteland. W2 had a fantastic density to everything in it, and if they manage to keep it anywhere near that level (obviously they'll expand it somewhat) it'll be amazing.

It's an orange wasteland thank you very much.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Available other places as well if you aren't American. Second book isn't translated, you gotta go :filez: for that one.

This has been my problem. I want to buy a box set of everything officially translated because I'll hate every second of it if it is a bad translation.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The fan translation of the second set of short stories isn't bad. I read through it a couple nights ago while doing my re-read of what's out in english.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bort Bortles posted:

This has been my problem. I want to buy a box set of everything officially translated because I'll hate every second of it if it is a bad translation.

I have some bad news for you about the official translations then.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Well get ready to read!

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Int...p=1418350475395

Haven't all the novels been translated? Why is Sword of Destiny still not done? What the hell, english-speakers?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GrossMurpel posted:

Haven't all the novels been translated? Why is Sword of Destiny still not done?

Translations are done up to Baptism of Fire. With godawful covers that make me glad e-readers are a thing.

GrossMurpel posted:

What the hell, english-speakers?

We don't actually bother to mark countries east of the Oder on our maps. We just write, "here be Slavs" and knock off for a pint.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I realized the only thing that would really turn me off from the game was if there was a Ciri/Geralt romance. Cause ewwwww.

This isn't a Japanese game.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Turin Turambar posted:

This isn't a Japanese game.

i heard the japanese version is extra delayed, so maybe they are putting it in :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Woody Allen Edition is coming along nicely, I see.

• Locked thread