Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I went Iorveth first because I wanted to see if he would ever take off that eyepatch-scarf.

I was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: besides we have to think relatively here, it's a dark fantasy middle ages where everyone with any kind of power is a pretty terrible person.

Honestly replaying through The Witcher 2, I'm noticing they really lean hard on the whole crapsack world thing, it's just a relentless downer all of the time. They probably should lighten it up a touch just so the atrocities actually seem like atrocities and not "oh things got a little out of hand there". I play the Witcher with a sort of detachment because everyone is so poo poo all the time and constant horrible fates await just about everyone. If they gave even a little bit of genuine, simple hope to the world it would seem a lot more engaging to me. But hey, even your good intentions have bad results and the nobles are just going to run over the common folk regardless, so gently caress it. Let's slay a few monsters, maybe make this village a better place until it's inevitable pillage/sacking. Bleh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I didn't know a lot of that, because it never gets shown in the game proper and they do a really piss-poor job of explaining the context of...well...just about anything. It's all raping and murdering and having to choose between the known quantity of a terrible tyrant or a possible civil war. Either way the common person gets trampled underfoot.

And please don't think I'm saying I want the Witcher to be a happy game or have fairybook or conventional hero with a fun "saves the world" storyline. I'm just saying that CDProjekt won't get the player engagement with the world that they seem to want if they don't work on clarifying their narrative and at least make the world seem like an occasional place worth fighting for, rather than enduring.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vargatron posted:

Yeah it's a terrible place to live and there's a lot wrong with how things are, but then again, isn't our own reality the same?

There aren't elves or dwarves or cat-eyed monster killers in our world, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.

"It's good, because it's like reality," doesn't actually make any sense. I hope that's not coming off as harsh or lovely, I'm really not trying to come across that way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

keyframe posted:

I can't imagine playing this game with kb/m.

As a controller junkie and primarily console player, I've only ever played this game on a PC with a kb/m, and it works great.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's nothing better than putting 2 points into the Alchemist skill, laying down the 24 snares in a semi-circle before a big fight, and watching everything that runs at you die.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has there ever really been a novel series -> game series adaptation as well thought out as this? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

It's not really an adaptation so much as it is a continuation.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got the mod that removes that terrible Dark effect (and the curse, though I didn't use the swords until the set was finished out of Witcher's Honor) and couldn't be happier.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lycus posted:

I'd wager that it's not really your equipment that made the difference, that's just you learning how to play. That's pretty much everyone's experience. Everyone loving hates Letho on their first playthrough, then they kick his rear end on a higher difficulty on their second go.

Well I'm having trouble with him on Dark mode, but that's because he kills me in one hit and I haven't gotten deep into my Alchemist tree.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cyberpunk future RPG.

Of course.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Morphix posted:

But I now understand what a bad port feels like. The camera controls and movement were obviously meant for a keyboard mouse combo.

Ha ha! Thanks for the chuckle. A radial menu that opens with a button press is keyboard-and-mouse friendly? Riiiiight. This is about the most loutish, ill-informed thing I've read on here in a while.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

poptart_fairy posted:

Were you wearing a stove hat while writing this.

No, but I did just see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CJ posted:

I tried the tutorial twice but it got stuck at the part where you assign your talent point and it wasn't really helpful.

If you can't figure out how to put a point into a talent in the tutorial and expect "little squiggly lines" to appear over your opponent's head so that you can press a button that completely neutralizes them, the Witcher 2 is not the game for you and you should give it up. Not trying to be a dick, but I think you're going to be very frustrated with the experience.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CJ posted:

I did assign the talent point but, as i said, the tutorial is a piece of poo poo and didn't register that i had done so and wouldn't let me progress.

So I want to make sure I understand you: you're saying that the tutorial, which works for everyone else, is a "piece of poo poo" because it "doesn't register" that you've assigned the talent point?

So one of the following two statements is true:

a) either the tutorial is uniquely defective to your PC/Xbox
b) you're not smart enough to get through it

Which one has the higher odds, I wonder?

Edit: Holy poo poo there's a bug in the tutorial! Well I'm willing to take my lumps like a man, looks like I'm the rear end in a top hat here. Sorry CJ.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Open world Witcher 3, huh? How exciting!

I was wondering about the viability of an open world game after seeing the demo of CD Projekt's level designer, which could easily and quickly create large, detailed areas. I'm also really excited about the sword combat getting an overhaul. Good stuff all around, I'll be following this thread with interest.

• Locked thread