Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

NewAge posted:

So I bought the 360 version of this game because I can't run my PC copy, and holy poo poo CD Projekt owns. A neat little quest guide, a fold-out map, and a soundtrack CD for absolutely no extra charge. That's just really cool, and I can't wait to finally start playing this game.

Ya, CD Projekt is awesome. Even if I'm not that interested in their first non-Witcher game, I'll probably buy it, just because I got the first Witcher for $5, and the 2nd for $30 I think, and feel like they just deserve more of my money for the time and gameplay and extras I've gotten out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Just started Chapter 2 in my second play through (first play through was Roche's path, after it first came out), going Iorveth's path this time.

I messed around in Flotsam in chapter 1 to try to do the blashpemer's set, and eventually just gave up. I could have gotten there eventually, arm wrestling and crafting and harvesting, but it was taking forever. My main worry was Letho, because I had a problem with him on normal my first playthrough. However, this time in dark mode, killed him first try. Part of that may be because I'm making and using a lot more bombs, and just fighting a lot "cheaper" this time around (which is to say, more like a real witcher).

Is the oathbreaker's armor set any easier to come by in chapter 2? And is it worth it?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

People who don't say Dark Mode is difficult are insane or cheating, I'm just now halfway through the first town and everything kills me in 1 hit everything. Sure you supposedly get super equipment later but this is insanely hard, especially due to "oh some spiders in the forest, I'll wait a full 30 seconds before pulling my sword out while your clicking like mad"

I'm glad to see you say this, only because I had a tough time at the beginning of Chapter 1 as well. It's my second playthrough, but I hadn't really played since right when the 2.0 patch came out, so I had to relearn stuff on the fly, picking up my Dark Mode save just after the prologue (didn't wanna play through that again).

I'm going to echo what I've read here and has really helped me a lot (just started Chapter 2, and a fight I was dreading - Letho - actually was incredibly easy, and that's after I gave up on the dark mode armor set in the first chapter). Use everything you have available to you... Prepare by downing some potions before going out on a quest, craft and use bombs (or traps if that's your thing), dodge like a maniac, don't try to take on a big group of enemies at once - draw them into more isolated positions. Once you have a better feel for the combat, and you get some cool skills, it'll get a little easier. I started to feel that way towards the end of the first chapter, and haven't had any issues in the second yet. There are still some things I'm not really looking forward to coming up, but hope they turn out like the thing I was dreading most in chapter one.

Edit: Oh, and quen isn't as good as it was, but it's still good, and mess around with the other signs and find cool/fun ways to use them.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 27, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Try to grab a piece of armor from a dead Draugir early on. Otherwise, you will have to wait until pretty late in the chapter to craft it.

Oh crap, like, how early? Not the VERY beginning before you even get to Vergen, right? I haven't been out of the city yet, just in the mine and doing stuff in Vergen, so not sure if they're out running around for me to kill - I have a sinking feeling they're not :(

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

They're only in the mist. So you've got 3 chances to grab one. The very beginning, well over halfway when you get sent across the mist to the enemy camp, and at the tail end where you exorcise the curse.

Ok, that's what I thought... First time through Iorveth's side of things, so wasn't sure what I'd find, but sounds like I'll have to grab that the second time you mention. Thanks! I haven't even bought the diagrams yet, so the only thing that was on my radar was all the crap I had started putting together in chapter one before giving up and just moving on without it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Speaking of voluntary fights, what's the Letho fight like at the end? I didn't do it in my first playthrough, because I just didn't feel like it was necessary to kill him. I'm still not sure if I want to do it this second time around, but am curious if it's any harder (maybe he's been leveling up this whole time too).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

That's why people made a save manager. It even backs them up for you, which zips them up nice and tight (which actually compresses the saves a crap ton, my 6MB end-game save got zipped down to 800KB, but that's because their save files are unoptimized.).

I gotta try this... everything in game runs great, but the main menu and load game screen, and even the "would you like to load your last save" dying screen just crawl. Hopefully clearing out my ridiculous number of saves (I guess all from my first playthrough are still hanging around) will fix it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also what is with the insane delay (sometimes about three seconds of Geralt standing perfectly still) between the time that you want to throw a bomb and the time it actually throws sometimes? Is it a bug, or some weird design decision?

I kind of assumed it was some balance thing, otherwise they might be overpowered (or more overpowered than they are now - they're saving me in dark mode, although I'm using them less as I'm leveling up, but they were a huge help in the first chapter).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe it knocks them down, but Quen is still active so you won't do any damage anyway. Does Quen even weaken from bombs and knives? And how does it respond to magic?

There are only two or three enemies in the whole game who can use Quen anyway so I haven't studied its effects very well. All I know is that in that first fight with Letho he can be hitstunned while trying to cast Quen, but not this guy.

Pretty sure Letho isn't actually hurt by bombs when he has Quen up (it knocks his Quen out I believe though).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I have you beat.

I prepare myself, and easily handle all the enemies, final wave starts to launch, and I figure I should use my traps.

Set them all down around the area, and then start drawing them to them by launching an Igni, which blows up all the traps, and sends Geralt flying out of the Arena.

"We Recommend Easy"

Haha, this sounds like a lot of fun! :) I haven't tried the tutorial, but now I want to...

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

The only one I'm having problems with now is the Operator because he is fought in a tiny room full of clutter to get stuck on while dodging, he can knock me down at will by simply getting near me(he teleports) and has a pile of souped up Gargoyles as friends, which is pretty much the last enemy I would want to fight inside confined spaces and have some utter bullshit instant kill moves too that they don't telegraph at all.

Ugh, speaking of getting stuck dodging, I HATED going into the catacombs with all those stupid dwarves. They just kept following me and getting so close I'd have rotfiends on one side and dwarves on the other and would be stuck. I got to the point where I was running as quickly as I could to the next place where enemies spawn and get as much fighting done as I could before the slow dwarves could catch up.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Holy crap... Second playthrough, on Iorveth's path, and just got to what I think is the end of chapter 2 (or very close). I didn't just forget finding out that Saskia is a dragon, right? That's something you don't find out on Roche's path?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

CommonSensei posted:

I did Roche's path first when I played the game and near the very end I killed the dragon so when I got to that part in Iorveth's path I realized what I did in the first playthrough and was like "Oh. Oh...."

Which was a pretty awesome effect in retrospect.

I did the opposite, felt sorry for the dragon, so I felt pretty good about it (even though it dies anyway). But ya, definitely an awesome thing that something seemingly that big was such a surprise during a second playthrough.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 3, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Having finished up chapter 2 on dark mode last night, I have to say, I survived the mist on my first try mainly because of this thread. I threw a point in riposte as was suggested many times, and it helped a great deal.

I really love it that you can't handicap yourself by putting points into lots of different things on the skill tree. As long as you actually use what you're putting points into, it's all useful. I've got magic to get more vigor and upgrade quen, alchemy to upgrade damage with bombs, and sword to get better blocking/dodging, more damage, and more vitality. I never play games on anything but your standard normal or medium difficulty, so I'm not sure what possessed me to give dark mode a shot, but I'm glad I did, but don't think it would be as fun without some really solid mechanics behind it.

Finally, chapter 2 was great. I want to say that I enjoyed Iorveth's side more than Roche's, but that may just be because of the order I played them (Roche then Iorveth).

Oh, and I finished the Oathbreaker's set (after skipping the set in chapter one), and didn't mind the effect... until I went underground and it became completely black everywhere, despite being pretty well lit without the effect. Didn't try cat, so not sure what that does to it.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 3, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

With cat potion you can see the blood or lifeforce or whatever - all creatures are seen glowing orange even through walls and up close they get semi-transparent and you see their cardiovascular system. Brightness level is also increased for non-living things.It also adds annoying ambient sound of heartbeat.

Oh, right, I've used cat in general, I just meant in regards to the dark armor effect. Maybe it's the same and the effect is pretty much nullified?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

swoollacott posted:

I just got the Blasphemer's set in Chapter 1. The effect with a drawn sword is not good, why make it difficult to see? Unfortunately I'm on 360 so I can't mod it out. I think I'll just dump the swords and use regular ones.

At least in chapter two, the armor itself seems incredibly good, but the swords don't seem to be a big enough jump over what else is available, at least when you're going underground or just hate the effect (and I really don't hate it except underground).

I guess I need to check out where to get the stuff for chapter three since I just started, so I don't run into a situation like with the draugir fragment, although it kinda doesn't seem worth the time and effort considering how short chapter three is...

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Good lord... I appreciate that this was a huge project and a ton of people worked on it, but these credits are LONG. It certainly made it seem like there's something after all this, so I hope there is.

EDIT: Heh, ok, I feel like an idiot. Turns out you can skip them and still see it... I got through the German voice actors before I tried, felt like 30 minutes.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 4, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
So, chapter three is really short... It may just be the way I play games, because I tend to follow the pacing the story seems to dictate, and chapter three seems to be pretty frantic. Running around the city and having any guard you run into attack you certainly lends to that feeling quite a bit. I felt like chapters one and two were much slower paced and "open" (even though it's obviously fairly linear and not an open world game in any way) at the beginning, and only got that frantic pace (and eventually locked you into finishing the chapter) at the end.

I guess I really just hoped for another chapter with the depth and length of the first two. It's not bad, just a little disappointing. This was my second playthrough (on Iorveth's path instead of Roche's this time), I'd just forgotten how little time I spent in chapter three. I do think I enjoyed Iorveth's path a little more, but am happy I played Roche's first. Dark mode also was a lot of fun, but got much less difficult after chapter one I think, once you've filled out your skill tree a little to suit your play style, and get some better equipment.

Also, regarding the end... That video after the credits was incredibly depressing. I know some people earlier were hoping for less personal stuff with Geralt and more political stuff in the third game, but I'm kind of hoping for more personal stuff with Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, and a lot of other witchers. I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Do the romance options in Witcher 1 carry over to 2? I'm in act 5 of the first one and I'm getting the feeling it's not going to matter, since Triss keeps telling me to gently caress off then seems friendly enough when a quest demands it. I went with Shani for what its worth.

I chose Triss in the first one, but everyone has said Shani gets a passing mention at some point I believe, but only in regards to it not working out, and I would imagine the role Triss plays is pretty much the same no matter what you do in the first.

Speaking of saves, I hope more carries over from 2 to 3. I spared Letho in both playthroughs, I just couldn't bring myself to kill him (I did load up a save in dark mode just before meeting up with him just to see how hard the fight was... not very was the answer), and I really kinda want to meet up with him and his friends again in the third.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did they add anything else to it? I beat it with Iorveth's path (first time back since the Enhanced Edition, I beat it several times before though) but it was still really, really short...I assumed I missed something but maybe not?

Ya, I just played through Iorveth's path on dark mode, and chapter three seemed REALLY short, shorter than I remembered. Part of that is the way I play RPGs (if the story tries to dictate that I stick to the main quests in an area, I generally will, and the third chapter was the one place I felt this really did that), but I think if you really wanted to, you could blow through it in 30min or so.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not supposed to do the Malena quest when the game gives it to me am I? The nekkers kill me in three hits and there are thirty of them.

Try using some bombs, and see if you can draw them out in small groups if possible.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Wiseblood posted:

What bombs are you using? Grapeshot is the best choice for them.

Ya, and if you do a little bit of farming around the city, you should be able to make quite a few so you have enough to get through it. Dodge roll, bomb, quen, repeat until it's a manageable number. You can probably skip quen if you want, but even though it goes away in one hit, I always like it just as some insurance, to know once I see it flicker, to get the hell out of there.

Oh, one other thing that may help, take the skill that reduces backstab damage as soon as you can. That's a killer early on with big groups.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Cedric should have the formula for a bunch of bombs I believe, anything that might be useful in the cave.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

SpRahl posted:

I believe if he (or any enemy for that matter) enters yrrden in the middle of an attack it will always lock onto him. Once you have Letho trapped the fight becomes alot easier, you can now coat the floor with traps, charge in and smack him in the back 3-4 times and if you're feeling gutsy once he starts turning around you can circle dodgeroll him while attacking his side.
Backing off and spamming daggers or bombs I believe is one of the easier ways to beat him as well.

Dont worry give it time and the next time you play through the game you'll wipe the floor with him and wonder why you ever found the boss hard.

Ya, I had a horrible time with him on my first playthrough (on Normal difficulty). Second time around, on Dark, had no problem at all using bombs. There were several fights that were this way, so a lot of the game is just knowing how it all works and using everything you've got available to you. Haven't really gotten into traps though, all this talk of things I didn't do or ways I didn't play makes me want to go through it a third time... I just need to uninstall it or I'll not get to another game for a long time.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Weebly posted:

I just got to act 3 and just don't feel like playing it anymore. This past week I've started it up a few times, played a few minutes then went and did something else. I really enjoyed Act 1 and 2 though. Did this happen to anyone else?

It's not that I didn't want to play anymore, I just thought act three was pretty weak in comparison (it's a combination of a lot of things that have been discussed a little already). Don't worry though, you can get through it really quickly if you want to, and won't miss that much because it is so light on content.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

qbert posted:

Well I've now gotten 49 out of 50 achievements on the 360 version and the only thing I have left is Dark mode. I just don't know if I can bring myself to go through the game a third time, although I know that last missing achievement is going to be bothering me if I don't do it.

I have the GOG version, so haven't really looked at any achievements, but is there nothing for Insane difficulty? That's a little bit surprising, although Insane really is that, I can't imagine trying to play through with permadeath. Not that it'd be impossible, you'd just have to be so careful, especially early on, and not let your guard down once.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Which base difficulty does insane actually run on? Normal, Hard or Dark?

Hard? I've read in places that Dark is the hardest actual difficulty, Insane just adds the element of permadeath. Maybe it's somewhere between Hard and Dark though.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of Geralt actively trying to get off of the Path. I think it was mentioned a few times in the game, depending on your dialogue choices, that Geralt wanted to abandon his search for Letho and get back on the Path. Then again, the narrative never really goes too in depth into his relationship with the Wolf school after the prologue section in Witcher 1. Another thing is that Geralt may not even know how he feels about reviving his old Witcher school until he regains his memory in full.

Ya, this is how I felt, specifically that Geralt really isn't sure what he thinks of the Path because he doesn't fully understand his past. I think I remember almost a reluctance to embrace his place among witchers in the prologue of the first game, but that was completely because he didn't remember anything. I'm really hoping that the third game will delve deeper in to this, his relationship with Yennifer (particularly interested how he, Yennifer, and Triss resolve everything), and then him interacting with and developing relationships with more witchers, hopefully less hostile than Letho.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Is it weird that I want a Married With Children style sitcom about the troll couple?

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Can someone give me a brief explanation on how Alchemy is supposed to work? Like, one time I can make 2 Grapeshots, and 5 seconds later I can make 14.

It depends on the ingredients you have available. I'm not sure how it selects your default ingredients for any given formula, but on the right hand side of the screen, you can drag other ingredients into the formula. It's kind of bad about picking ingredients you DON'T want to use by default, so play close attention before you make anything, and pick what's plentiful/the least valuable so you don't lose anything you might want or need later.

And you'll have the option to make as many as possible for your least abundant ingredient selected.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Brownie posted:

The playboy thing was a thing that actually happened back when the game first came out, actually, so they went creeper a long time ago.

Yep, and it's included in the GOG extras, I remember seeing it and thinking it was really creepy.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Aren't they working on The Witcher 3 though? I thought at one point they said they had two teams now, and are working on a dark fantasy RPG and a new IP RPG...

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Alchemy also allows you to skip several bossfights, you can getthe dragon down to 0% before the boss is finished with it's opening animation in the tower, causing you to automatically win the rooftop fight the moment you enter the area.

Wait, really? That's crazy... I didn't do full alchemy on either playthrough (did normal for Roche's path and dark for Iorveth's path), I generally just put points into what fit how I wanted to play, which meant spreading them out. Now I kinda want to playthrough again just to go crazy with alchemy.

On the subject of GOG/Steam, one thing that really annoys me is that the ONLY way you can get the Mac copy of the first game is via Steam. I bought both through GOG because that seemed like the best way to support the developers (which may or may not be true), so I really wish they would either give you the Mac download on GOG, or provide a Steam key if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Also you really don't have to parry/ripsote, I never got the timing down and beat dark mode. Being a Witcher is fighting dirty, your actually supposed to use traps and bombs you get/make from looting every square inch you can reach.

To expand on this a little bit, if you go into this trying to fight like you did in Witcher 1 (you mentioned the timing based combat), you'll fail miserably. I had the toughest time with it because I went from the first to the second immediately, and this was before the tutorial existed. It was VERY hard to get used to, and definitely felt a little clunky, but only because I didn't know what I was doing.

By the time you really figure it out (probably not too far into Act 1), it won't feel clunky, and you'll be able to start putting skill points into things that make whatever fighting style you prefer easier and more satisfying. That's the best thing about the combat and skills, is that almost everything is useful, as long as it's something that fits with how you play.

And yes, definitely craft stuff, it's so much cheaper. I played through the first time not crafting a lot, but the second time, on dark mode, I was making bombs like crazy, and was collecting a bunch of stuff for weapons and armor.

• Locked thread