Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
^^^^
Just dont lug 100 pounds of timber around all the time and you'll be fine. Sell unneeded ingredients or better yet store them in your storage chest.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Quen did get nerfed, in a number of ways: the first is that no matter how upgraded it gets, it will only absorb one attack. And now with Fatigue also guarantees that with Quen active you won't be dealing full damage. It's still the best sign in your arsenal.

Ugh that doesnt seem to good, Ive long since past the point where I need to use quen so the nerf doesnt bug me too much, but is there even a point to getting quen upgraded or getting the damage reflect skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

You can just write off Witcher 1, for sure.

So I've got the game to play tolerably well, and had a general gameplay question: Should I save up armor enhancements for particular good gear or just throw it into whatever I have on?

Generally Id say throw it on whatever you have on unless its something really cool. Even then youll probably find something better later so you may as well use it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Mr Asshat posted:

I am not big on replaying games, so i will not be playing through it again to pick another path.

You should both paths are awesome and both contribute to the story in their own way. Just save right before the main choice (you get a very obvious quest which denotes this) and reload. Both sides are unique enough so that you shouldnt feel as if you are simply replaying the game, think of it as playing a new game entirely.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Burns posted:

Regarding potions: I find that they built the game far less around using potions than Witcher 1 where they were more important.

Really? You dont really need to use any potions in Witcher 1 save for swallow and maybe cat, and using the more advanced potions trivializes an already easy game.

Capsaicin posted:

How do I do a counter attack? I was able to do one in the tutorial, but now I can't. :(

You need the sword skill riposte, you get it in the tutorial but you dont start the game with it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

etalian posted:

He has a boner for Saskia.
Unfortunately Iorveth is a little too tall for her taste

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

keyframe posted:

I can't imagine playing this game with kb/m.

I found that it controls pretty great with keyboard and mouse.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Speedball posted:

Okay, just hit level 7, which means that next time it's time to decide what I want to specialize in. There's a lot of melee combat, so swordsmanship looks attractive, but being able to chug tons of potions and get free mutagens out of it in an alchemy specialization also looks neat. Which is more newbie-friendly?

Swords or magic are the most newbie friendly depends on what you like doing as to which you should focus on etalian summed it up pretty well

folgore posted:

Different from the first game? I thought they were the same, but it's been a while. I'll have to refresh my memory.

Dandelion's voice in the first game was loving horrid whatever you may think of the new Dandelion he is 100x better than the old one.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I'm just starting out (Chapter 1, beginning Flotsam), I have a few questions.

1) Is there more to Quen than just protecting you from one hit? I have the latest EE version from GOG, I take it that its been nerfed because I don't see whats so great about it when the casting time/vigor cost makes it tricky to use during combat and it seems easier to just dodge away from poo poo. What am I missing?
Yeah Quen has been heavily nerfed into its current incarnation, its still pretty useful in Dark mode where a nekker can oneshot you if you're hit in the back.
Its not really a sign you want to use in the middle of a fight, generally you'd want to dodge away from the enemies activate it then charge back in and treat it as a free hit.

quote:

3) What are your thoughts on the best enchantments for weapons and armor? I'm leaning towards fire runes and dwarven armor but I'd like to hear other opinions before I slot anything in.
As far as armor upgrade are concerned you can buy a diagram for diamond armor reinforcements from a guy in the village right outside flotsome. Its the same as dwarven but you can craft as many as you like whereas dwarven you can only find in loot (actually I think there may only be one.
Swords? Depends on your playstyle but I like fire or ygsith.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Im going through Dark on Roches Act 2 and I forgot to nab the Draugir fragment at the start of the act, did I just screw myself out of the Oathbreaker set? I havent seen any Draugirs emerge from the mist at night and Im at the part Where you cross the mist to Vergen but I didnt see any pop up there either

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Quick question: does completing the Contract quests in flotsam prevent the associated monster type from spawning? Should I farm the poo poo out of them for sweet sweet bomb ingredients before I turn them in, or is that not really necessary in this game?

Monsters wont stop spawning completely but I believe it may cause fewer to appear. Even so nekkers also spawn in the cave behind the waterfall and the cave near flotsoms docks.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Is there a reason why Newboy's talisman is so easy to miss? I picked the option that didn't make Geralt out to be a complete rear end in a top hat and ended up missing an entire quest in Chapter 1 because he didn't hand the drat thing over. Luckily you can just mod it into the witch's inventory, but still that seems a mite odd.

You only get the amulet if you let him get killed or tell him its cursed. The Reavers keep the amulet if you tell them its magical in some way and possibly harmful.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah no, you can find his body after you escape the prison and it has the amulet on it.

Thats what I said? You have three options when you talk to Newboy.

Seems ok to me
Itll kill ya dude better give it to me
Its magical but I dont know in what way.

Picking the last option results in Newboy living and the Reavers keeping the amulet, while the first 2 net you the amulet either right then or at the end of the prologue.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Vargatron posted:

For some reason, I would give them that response and I would never get the medal. I always got the book about dragons instead. Maybe I didn't pick that option like I thought I did...

If you chose the right response you should get the amulet immediately and the book at the end of the prologue (assuming your not trying to get him killed}

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Instakilling rotfiends this way is great because they don't explode.

Pros get rotfiends to explode into other rotfiends. Too bad it pretty hard to get chain reaction explosions to happen like with the Bloedzuigers in the The Witcher 1.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the tips. I got through the cave through Axii and the nekkers just running away for whatever reason, but I'll keep them in mind for other group encounters.

I know youve past it already but that cave is also a great place for trap usage as well.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit Letho will you stop running through Yrden and pretending like it isn't there! :argh:

The best I'd managed to knock him down to so far was just a little over half his health left and he's a goddamn nightmare to fight even with the OP's tips - I looked up another guide to see if there was anything else I could do and discovered the fight ends after he loses a little over half his health! So close! :gonk:

I believe if he (or any enemy for that matter) enters yrrden in the middle of an attack it will always lock onto him. Once you have Letho trapped the fight becomes alot easier, you can now coat the floor with traps, charge in and smack him in the back 3-4 times and if you're feeling gutsy once he starts turning around you can circle dodgeroll him while attacking his side.
Backing off and spamming daggers or bombs I believe is one of the easier ways to beat him as well.

Dont worry give it time and the next time you play through the game you'll wipe the floor with him and wonder why you ever found the boss hard.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Donny posted:

If you antagonize Roche in the opening interrogation scene then try to break free, Ves kicks in the door and puts a crossbow bolt through your spine.

I always loved the line "My doppelganger was in Vizima I have three of them" as well as Geralts little interjections during Roche's "story"

Jerusalem posted:

I ended up going with Quen and laying down traps to eat through his Quen when he approached, so I could dive in with 2-3 sword swings then rush off. Using those tactics I went from dying quickly to beating him without taking a single bit of damage myself.

So I was kind of irritated when the cutscene airs and suddenly he knocks me down with an Aard and stands over me telling me he's going to spare my life for now because I saved him in the past, then walks away scott-free despite the fact I kicked his rear end in the fight. I've always hated that type of disconnect in games and it is a little disappointing that Witcher 2 suffers from it as well, though nowhere near as bad as a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit Letho will you stop running through Yrden and pretending like it isn't there! :argh:

The best I'd managed to knock him down to so far was just a little over half his health left and he's a goddamn nightmare to fight even with the OP's tips - I looked up another guide to see if there was anything else I could do and discovered the fight ends after he loses a little over half his health! So close! :gonk:

Well to be fair it sounds like he kicked your rear end plenty of times too :)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

If it's any consolation, getting the guy killed arguably gets you a better reward (unless they changed that in the patch).

You get more XP for solving it correctly but a better material reward for failing it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I just go ahead and craft a meteorite silver sword or will I be finding a silver sword soon? I haven't found any besides a witcher's silver sword and I'm still using Aeondight in Chapter 2.

You should have looked around after killing the Arachas in act 1 :colbert:. Anyway yeah just make/buy a better sword.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a good way to hack the Draugr armour fragment into my inventory? I picked one up early on in Act 2 and promptly died, then it didn't drop again.

This happened to me as well, I was able to eventually get a draugir fragment off of the Bullvore beneath Vergen on Roches path. I dont know if its something that randomly drops off Bullvores or if its only specific ones.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Not exactly sure how Triss played into everything for Letho at the end though. Did Letho just use her to get where he needed to then guard her at the end for Geralt?
Basically yeah. Letho used Triss but didnt really bear her any malice so he probably felt guilty leaving her at the mercy of the Nilfgaardians

quote:

I thought she turned into a statue or something.

Yup but its expanded more upon on Iorveths path. But the short of it is not anymore.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

qbert posted:

It's pretty tough on any difficulty besides Easy and requires a little luck no matter how buffed you are. His Quen only dissipates when you kill his gargoyle minions, allowing you to get a few hits in, then he'll summon more, repeat, etc. The thing to remember is that the gargoyles can do MUCH more damage than the Operator himself. They can kill you outright in a few hits, so you have to constantly be moving and it's probably a good idea to keep your Quen up. You could try using freeze traps and try to lure the gargoyles into them to kill them quickly, but other than that, just whatever it takes to stay alive.

Also if you are not against more or less outright cheating You can save during the fight if the gargoyles are dead and the Operator is in the middle of a teleport

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

After dispelling the mist you're railroaded into ending Chapter 2. And by the time you have access to someone who can craft again, you can immediately get all the required items for the Vran armor (provided you've been progressing the Mystic River quest) so the Draug armor is pretty pointless IMO.

Plus even if you cant make the Vran armor most of the other armor in chapter 3 is either equivalent to or better than the Draug armor.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

EDIT: Trolls are awesome and there should have been a third Act 2 where Geralt says gently caress this and hangs out and gets drunk with a bunch of trolls

Agreed and anyone who killed any of the trolls is a terrible person.

Oxxidation posted:

Facing down the Big Choice at the end of Act 1. I am in an agony of indecision. On one hand, idealism and overthrowing the system and all that jazz, but on the other, I can watch Loredo die! I just don't knoooooow

Well actually you can kill Loredo on Iorveths path as well.

Oxxidation posted:

So the Dark Mode-exclusive items are apparently rear end. What about the Dark Mode quests? Anything interesting to be had?

Actually the Darkmode gear (at least the armor) is the best in the game, the problem is with the way darkmode works this really doesnt help you that much.
So yeah feel free to skip it if you dont want to deal with the difficulty.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Maelin posted:

This talk of videos not playing properly on 16:10 displays (like mine) makes me worry I might have missed some during my current playthrough (I didn't finish Act 2 last time, and have been holding off giving the game another go until EE). I'm currently halfway through Act 1. Will I have missed any of the videos?

At the end of the prologue you should have gotten a video narrated by Dandelion basically showing your journey from Lavelet Castle to Flotsom.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

I kinda enjoyed it myself. Even if you didn't, it's still less annoying than "Oooodriiin!"

This has been embedded into my mind forever.

longtimelurker posted:

I have a gameplay question.

I understand there is a quest in act 3 that lets me respec (I just finished act 2). I went full mutant and have some great mutations (all critical effects 36% over six slots). If I respec to the magic tree will the multiplier (or even the mutations stay) for the skills I change?

Making a build on being poisoned seems to make surprise boss fights tricky since I can't chug one in battle and get all juiced.

It was a bug so I dont know if EE fixed it but the multiplier skill would remain in effect if you respected.

The quest is called "From a Bygone Era" and you should have it at least by the time you finished act two, if you dont have it active you cant respec or fight the optional boss.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

But about Heliotrope, like I said earlier, Igni actually charges it really fast. None of the other signs seem to move the bar much, but it shoots up when you start throwing Igni. It's probably the only reason to use Igni at all, since otherwise it's better to just use bombs.

Before it was nerfed Quen charged adrenalin ridicuasly fast. But yeah now if you want to use heliotrope igni is your only hope.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I chose to have Roche let Anais go into Radovid's "protection" but with him as her personal bodyguard which I felt was the best possible option of those available. I assume if you choose not to take that path, that Roche will try and protect Anais all by himself until she's old enough to claim the throne herself?

If you rescue Triss that's more or less what happens although there is also the option of giving Anais to Natalis and letting her become a kick rear end queen.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Quen - makes a protective barrier around you, used to be overpowered, not so much now but still useful

Does anyone else miss old Quen a little? The nerfed version just seems useless to me except on Dark mode and the fact that it will only ever block one attack makes the reflect upgrades kinda lovely. Obviously it was overpowered and it got fixed a bit in the patch but it still made you essentially invincible, I just think maybe it should be tweeked a little like have it block 1 attack then block 2 attacks on the first upgrade and 3 on the last upgrade.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Seltkirk's Armor worth upgrading, or am I going to get a better set soon?

You'll be getting better soon but there is no really reason not to upgrade it, you dont really need to worry about "wasting" armor upgrades since if you buy the diamond armor reinforcement diagram you can make one of the best armor upgrades relatively easy .

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

[Roche Path Spoilers]
And I'm really glad I went with Roche to save the girl. I was considering saving Triss at the end, figuring Roche could handle himself, but reading on how things go for him if you choose Triss made me glad I stuck with my decision. Even if it did get all those mages killed :(

A thing I found kinda funny/awesome is if you side with Triss it is heavily implied that Roche wiped out the entire Kaedweni camp by himself.
And given how much you like Roche you'll be happy to know that he is still your bro on Iorveths path.

quote:

I would totally watch Blue Stripes: Temerian Outlaws, a buddy show chronicling Geralt and Roche's adventures across the land.
I always kinda envisioned a Roche/Thaler buddy cop flick.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

With regards to the ending:
I sided with Iorveth and freed Saskia from the curse, the game ended up with a massacre and I decided to let Letho go as it felt there'd already been enough murder that day and I'd already gotten his full story... Are there any endings which don't end up with everybody dead or on the run?

Pumped for the sequel, I love the effort CD Projekt has put in to make a solid and beautiful RPG.

Th endings are all pretty different and I would highly suggest playing the game at least a second time in order to do Roche's path.

majestic12 posted:

I guess you mean the mages. If you save Triss instead she deflects blame away from the sorceresses so they don't get all kilt. I haven't played through the ending since they released 2.0 though so maybe it's different. But I don't think they'd change anything that's already in.

More specifically she still exposes Phillipa and Sile's plan but shields the rest of the sorceresses of blame leaving no justification for the witch hunt. However Saskia is either dead or still under Phillipa's control and the fate of the new Pontar state is up in the air.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Opus125 posted:

The Letho fight is impossible.

Is there anyway I can win this? Here is my save file of the fight:

http://depositfiles.com/files/xxmtpsi83

My character does too little damage and gets taken out easily. Yes, I think it's possible for me to keep dodging Letho, but it's possible in the same way it's possible for me to collect 300 grains of sand with tweezers. Too long and boring.

Most of the difficulty is from not entirely grasping combat in the game, trust me second time through the game Letho is a cakewalk. Really I like to think of the Letho fight as how all the other npcs feel when they fight Geralt.

Anyway in addition to what Capt Scandinavia said you can (or could they may have rebalanced it) stunlock Letho by spamming knives. Tossing bombs also works well. Do not attack Letho when his quen is up as it wont do anything (aard and yrden are still effective) and do not try to block his attacks unless he is already swinging his sword as if you hold block he will just aard or igni you. If you get far away he will throw bombs which can gently caress you up if you dont dodge them so try to stay close to him.

Yrden is your best bet though, trap him then stab him in the back three times then eiher back off and repeat or circle dodge roll around him and stab him the the sides.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

flashman posted:

I just got this on steam wanted a new game to test out my new rig, question for those who have played it, should I go with a mouse/keyboard or controller? Don't want to switch half way after getting used to it.

Mouse and keyboard works just as well as the controller, go with whatever you generally feel most comfortable with.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

That got me wondering, what do you guys think is the most hosed up thing you can make Geralt do?

I think my vote is for (Witcher 1)killing Vincent. What's the justification here besides playing the most ridiculously narrow-minded "all 'monsters' must die" Geralt possible?

Honorable mention to (Iorveth's Path/Act 3)having sex with Cynthia while Triss is still being held captive for just being hilariously hosed up.

Witcher 2 act 1 giving the Kaedweni murderers/rapists to Loredo's mother is potentially pretty hosed up even if they deserved it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

notZaar posted:

I'm making my way through chapter 2 and I'm loving this game, I just have two questions:

1. Is there a way to access some kind of battle/inventory log? Sometimes I'll get quest rewards and have no idea what they were unless I go through my inventory. If the reward is monetary than I have no clue at all.

2. Is there any point to buying books? I splurged on a library's worth from the sorceress' apprentice and I didn't see any pop up notifying me that I gained new knowledge after I read them. The flavor text itself didn't really say much about tactics or weakness of monsters either.

If you dont want to read the flavor text which can sometimes be interesting I dont think you actually have to buy any books (unlike the first witcher) however there are some effects to reading books, for example in Act 1 for the nekker contract reading the book on nekkers allows geralt to "know" that he has to blow up their nests to drive them off. If you dont read the book you have to kill a bunch of nekkers and geralt will eventually realize he has to blow up the nests.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

Fair warning but losing drive to finish TW1 is something that happens alot with people. TW1 is a very good game wrapped with some flawed packaging. Id say if you make past chapter 2 youve made it through the worst and if you make it past chapter 3 its pretty much smooth sailing to the end. I would say that even if you cant finish Witcher 1 you should definitely still check out the second if it goes on sale.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Admittedly I'm not that far into the game, but I started on medium and find the combat to be pretty easy so far.

Well you dont click rapidly you click when your cursor lights up, combat is basically a rhythm game. Its really not hard at all its just kinda there. I'd compair it to Ultima 7 or Planescape Torment combat isnt necessarily difficult but it has little depth is really not that interesting and is not what you are playing the game for at best its a speed bump at worst its a slog. Thing is what little you have seen of the combat so far is all that there is to it, it gets mixed up a little bit when you learn signs (of course you will never use any signs except for igni and aard) and potions which really really break the game one you figure out whats what.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

If you really want to make Witcher 1 combat ridiculously fast and easy, just put points into maxing out Igni and increasing your vigor. Then just run around Igni-spamming you're way through every combat situation.

Igni does not become game breakingly awesome until you get access to silver talents at level 15 but in the long run yeah max intelligence max endurance and max igni basically turns Igni into the gently caress this I win button.

exquisite tea posted:

Well I tried the rhythm thing but then I noticed if I just spammed left click then I would dry hump them to death at a more rapid pace.

Thats really only going to be true in the prologue.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I liked chapter 1 the best, actually. It's pretty much the man with no name going into the crucible. It set the tone for the whole game for me.

I wouldnt say I like 1 the best but I really like it and think people hate on it way to much. Chapter 2 though man it can go gently caress itself and I say that as someone who does not hate the swamp and actually kinda liked it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Witcher 2 is 75% right now on GOG get it while its hot, sale ends tomorrow.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

My personal feeling was that his crimes weren't all that bad in hindsight. Yes he killed Foltest, but let's face it; that guy was a dick.

Yeah Foltest was a dick but he was a loving awesome dick besides which of the 4 major Northern monarchs he was probably the least terrible granted thats not saying much but still. Although from what I have read on the net the Queen of Lyria and Rivia sounds like a badass.

quote:

And there was always the chance that Nilfgard would actually stick to the terms of their deal and reopen the viper school, which would be nice I guess.

Not likely at all, even if it did happen it would have likely been controlled by Nilfgaard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Xander77 posted:

which means that any sort of kiting against dangerous enemies (like the troll / enderga queens in the first chapter) is basically guesswork.

Here's your problem right here, never kill the trolls :colbert:

• Locked thread