Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rookersh posted:

What are the bonuses for using Intimidate/Persuasion?

I tried Persuading those guys in the intro to start down that path, but it's never stuck, and since I end up going Magic every game anyway, the Axiii trick usually works much better for me. Just curious what kind of buffs I'm giving up in the process, since the +5 Sign Strength is actually really nice.

Axii dialogue is the only one that unlocks a bonus ability. Persuasion and Intimidation options don't confer any bonus abilities but in some convos you'll only be able to use 1 or 2 of the options. In a lot of convos in chapter 2 & 3 I only had the option to use Intimidate but its possible there are some hidden checks that determine which option is available to you.

Axii Chat: For those of you who've made it this far: Act 3 Iorveth's Path EE-added quest spoilers ahead: Towards the end of this quest you have a conversation with a Golem and one of the dialogue paths allows you to try an Axii on him. I reloaded my save 5 times to try and get the successful outcome but every time my attempt failed (the Golem says something like a witcher should know that simple charms don't affect him). Has anyone been able to pass this check? . I've already beaten the game but something in me really wants to know if this particular dialogue check is just a red herring.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren:Save Game Compatability Stuff:siren:

People playing on pre-EE saves have reported a game-stopping bug on Iorveth's path during the end parts of Act 2. The Devs are working on that issue but also said that pre-EE saves may cause problems in certain points.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Donny posted:

Yes, this game will be far more fun if you avoid spoilers and just make the best decisions you can (or worst, for hilarity) based on the information you have.

I think my favorite thing about the Witcher 2's story structure is that I as the player never feel punished for the decisions I make. Sure Geralt may get hosed over once in a while but he'll manage.

Also I always save Sile because Letho is right. She's going to become a pariah in the Northern Kingdoms and when she inevitably gets caught I'm sure she'll wish she exploded instead.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Some additional quests and additional extras such as more transition cut-scenes.

I haven't reached Act 3 yet since supposedly it got the most additional content due to all the whining about the final act being too threadbare.

There are 2 new quests added to Act 3, one for each path.

Iorveth: You meet up with the Flotsam Alchemists and Cynthia again. If you choose to help them Geralt learns more about his past and more about the Wild Hunt. . The "reward" at the end of this one is ultimately useless game-wise but I thought it was really neat ( You get to magically spy for a bit on one character of your choosing, the right option is to obviously pick Dandelion)

Roche: You meet up with one of Roche's agents and delve into what happened to Foltest's bastards, namely Boussi.

Both are interesting and fairly long but nowhere near to the ~2 hours advertised by CDPR. As with everything in Act 3 you have to complete them before going into the summit.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: one thing I've often wondered, if there are any Polish speakers here, is there something about the Polish language that makes things likely to be translated to -er in English? Witchers, drowners, nekkers, Yennefer...

I don't think there's anything in the mechanics of Polish that makes english translations end in an -er suffix. Its just the way things worked out. (Yennefer is Yennefer in polish also)

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat the beast, and I loved how obvious the difference was between when I was fighting something unknown, and something Geralt had an idea about. The beast when down almost immediately after applying the special oil, but those tentacle things gave me a bit more trouble. It's kind of obnoxious how you don't automatically pull your sword out until after you're attacked, though. It's killed me at least once.

Also I'm noticing a trend of everyone being an rear end in a top hat.

If you're referring to the first game here are some fun facts:

The Beast: You can stun it with the Aard and proceed to do a finisher move on it. I think you don't even need to spend any talents on the sign although picking up the first stun upgrade wouldn't hurt.

Tentacles: If you're referring to the echinopsae keep in mind that they are plant-like creatures. Igni is great against them but the best tactic is to hit them with a torch which does a good amount of damage to them, incinerates them, and most importantly stuns them. You'll face them again in the Act II swamps and then an advanced version (archespores) in the Act III swamps so keep a torch handy.

As for everyone being an rear end in a top hat pretty much the only people you can count on being decent to you are Dandelion and Zoltan. Everyone else can eat a dick.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 26, 2012

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Asehujiko posted:

The only one I'm having problems with now is the Operator because he is fought in a tiny room full of clutter to get stuck on while dodging, he can knock me down at will by simply getting near me(he teleports) and has a pile of souped up Gargoyles as friends, which is pretty much the last enemy I would want to fight inside confined spaces and have some utter bullshit instant kill moves too that they don't telegraph at all.

I'm not ashamed to admit it I had to switch to easy difficulty to defeat the Operator. At the time of that fight I was wielding some kickass swords and the best armor and the gargolyes were front-hitting me for half my health on NORMAL.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cityinthesea posted:

I need confirmation. On the new quest on Iorveth's path on Chapter 3 (The Secrets of Loc Muinne): Cynthia tells you that you were a rider of the wild hunt... did she just mean that Geralt was following them or did Geralt actually ride with them? If it's the latter than that's kinda big news...

End Game Story + Iorveth's Path EE Content Spoilers:

Geralt became an actual rider of the hunt as part of the trade to get Yennefer from the Hunt. Its still unknown how he managed to escape.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 5, 2012

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cityinthesea posted:

Was that in the base game? I distinctly don't remember hearing that, and I think I would have remembered.

I'm like 90% you learn it in the final flashback but also (Act 3: Secrets of Loc Muinne Spoiler) On Iorveth's path in the new EE-quest, you learn that Nilfgaard has a file on Geralt where its revealed that Geralt was a rider of the hunt.

I'll edit my prior post do be more specific about the spoiler warning.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Flumpus posted:

Ya, I just played through Iorveth's path on dark mode, and chapter three seemed REALLY short, shorter than I remembered. Part of that is the way I play RPGs (if the story tries to dictate that I stick to the main quests in an area, I generally will, and the third chapter was the one place I felt this really did that), but I think if you really wanted to, you could blow through it in 30min or so.

Yeah Act 3 doesn't have that "pause" in the story where you feel like Geralt can go and dick around doing odd jobs. Which doesn't really matter cause there all of like 2 side quests, and the optional boss. None of it is made better by the fact that the area is a pain to get your bearings in.

I'd love for CDPR to throw in a couple extra contracts into Act 3.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the tips. I got through the cave through Axii and the nekkers just running away for whatever reason, but I'll keep them in mind for other group encounters.

In both of the nekker caves in Flotsam & the forest there are lines that nekkers will not cross unless you're close to it and you've just smacked them with your sword. Look for seams in the ground texture, it makes for a nice fall back point if you get overwhelmed.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Gotta say, I've really warmed up to Iorveth's Chapter 2. Not sure what I'll do in Chapter 3 as Nilfgaard really has it coming, but one thing I don't understand is Dethmold's end in Chapter 2: What war crimes do they execute him for? They have no idea of what presumably happened to the Blue Stripes in my absence.

As far as I'm aware Dethmold gets away scot-free on Iorveth's path

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
Patch 3.1 is out.

-Fixed the display of inter-chapter movies in aspect ratios other than 16:9.

-Fixed bugs causing the application to close while opening the credits.

-Relevant Aspect Ratio options are shown in the Configurator.exe if nVidia Surround is supported.

-Game saves from Act 2 created on older versions of the game are now compatible with the Enhanced Edition, which fixes the dwarven mechanism in Vergen.

-Added a fix for .NET Framework 4-related issues for the Steam users.

The game launcher is supposed to patch the game automatically but in case it doesn't:
http://en.thewitcher.com/patch3-1/

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
So tommorow is CDPR's summer conference thingy, the current state of rumors is as follows:

Initially it was believed that CDPR was going to release an XBOX 360 and PS3 port of the first Witcher game, Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, which they had cancelled some time back. CDPR is saying that that is not the case but nevertheless the danish blockbuster page and this site have decided to list the game as to be released and it seems they are taking preorders.

What CDPR has promised is to announce their new IP. the only thing known about it thus far is that they recently started filling positions for artists and programmers for a "RPG in a Brand New Setting"

The conference can be watched live tommorrow at 12pm EST on the witcher facebook page.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost
So I didn't see any mention of this in the last couple of pages but Andrzej Sapkowski recently released a new Witcher book Sezon Burz (Season of Storms). The events in it take place before Blood of Elves but the book itself isn't specifically a prequel to the original saga. Its only out in Polish and I believe Czech but if you're fluent and interested its worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

alex314 posted:

Check previous page :smuggo:
How much of a cashgrab the book seems? Sapkowski swore that he's finished with story a couple of years ago. Guess after bad reception of his Hussite trilogy he had to find something safe to write.

Welp I'm an idiot.

I'm only 4 chapters in but I'm enjoying the read. I don't expect anything new to be added to Geralt's character and the story so far is just more of the Geralt we already know although maybe with a bit more naivete.

The Sharmat posted:

The few Poles I've talked to all thought it was pretty good.

On the flip side the few "professional" polish reviews I've read have criticized the book for specifically not really adding anything new to the Witcher-verse (Although I think the "area" this takes place in might be new). But it takes place before the saga so what the gently caress do you expect the guy to add to alter the character?

• Locked thread