Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It's my understanding the W2:EE is not compatible with old game saves, is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Coughing Hobo posted:

There's so many elements of the design of this game that get me riled up in a good way. At its most basic level it's how practical all of the outfits are as clothing. They're sufficiently fantasy, to be sure, but they're practical. It's stuff that you see and think "yeah, people would wear that."

I loving love this kind of poo poo. Nothing breaks immersion for me quicker than having to nitpick about seeing a soldier pull a sword out of his crotch.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Wesley Walker posted:

Is there some sort of trick to winning at dice poker? After winning the first one to start the quest, I've literally lost 10 in a row. I wouldn't care if it wasn't an entire sidequest and a way to affect another one.

It's pretty random, just try to get as many multiples as possible. The only trick is to save and reload.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah definitely don't use gambling as a way to generate money, I haven't had too many problems with it though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Maelin posted:

I have never been able to understand why vsync isn't always enabled by default in every game. How can anybody stand the horizontal tearing?

Here's a pretty good essay about the pros and cons of vsync. In a nutshell, it can cause sudden drops in FPS during gameplay.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

Sadly, a few problems remain. In some scripted fights Geralt starts off with his sword sheathed which means enemies can get a free hit in which is bullshit. Also the camera still freaks out at times and can get you killed. The hit detection is a little off at times but once I got the extended dodge it was no longer an issue.

Lock-on? Still absolute bullshit. I love trying to attack a certain enemy only to have the lock on have me attack someone in the back row and I end up dog piling into the fray and getting killed.

If you're going to get hit, just start the fight by dodging out of the way rather than try to meet them head on. It's saved my rear end a bunch since I hate running around with a sword in my hand. I just see it as yet another realistic element of the game - if you get surprised then you start out at a disadvantage. I've never really used lock-on so I don't know how to help you there. Otherwise, yeah I'm totally digging the changes to EE. It really feels like some solid pothole-filling that really brings up the average feel of the game. In particular I think that their inclusion of some better narrative explanations really improve the overall experience. The first time I started playing I literally thought that I was missing content since things just would never be explained until way later in the story. Now players don't just tune out when characters start talking about Demavend, or wonder what the gently caress is going on when an assassin pops up out of nowhere.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lycus posted:

There's a dwarf bookseller who sells the monster books. His house is near the dwarf blacksmith.

Edit: Also, note that when you read a monster book in your inventory, you'll only see the first paragraph of the text, and it's mostly just lore. After you "read" the book, go into your Knowledge screen to see the rest of it, where you'll find the combat tips and hints on completing contracts.

Splitting this up was such a bad GUI decision. It's like, "Oh half the information is here with your journal, and then half the information is hidden behind your character upgrade screen. What?"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

And then they release an expanded edition with all sorts of bugfixes, DLC and upgrades, but they're like "No, don't touch that, we like that just how it is. Get it? It's like an upgrade - of knowledge!"

It's a mystery man.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Apparently ubersampling renders each frame multiple times to provide even better antialiasing/filtering? Sounds kind of redundant to be honest. Oh yeah, I also couldn't activate either of the depth of field options, they absolutely killed my fps.

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/witcher-2-tweak-guide/#1

Nvidia puts out some loving awesome graphics setting guides that are great for tweaking the best performance out of your PC. I used the Witcher 2 one to really improve the look of my game.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Coughing Hobo posted:

Careful with some bosses, however; from reading the comments, it sounds like the new caretaker may have gotten a little overzealous with health regeneration, making some of them literally unbeatable.

I like the idea of making the game more difficult, but it sucks when modmakers assume that you're going to use the most unbalanced weaponry available and therefore make it impossible to do anything else. Mixing swords and magic and traps and knifes and bombs is awesome; stun-locking boss after boss with 1,000 traps and bombs isn't actually very much fun.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

That guy was innocent? Fuuuuuck I handed them both over to the wraith :saddowns:

Well he did kill their father (they were all siblings)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Just finished up Chapter 2. Everything from breaking the curse on was intense as hell. I like that you can choose one path but still stay as neutral as possible on the war, if you really want. That section where you play as the assassin was poo poo, though. It kept instant failing me despite not stepping on anything.

You need to follow in your buddy's footsteps like he asks you to. But yeah that mission is a bit frustrating.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Okay, so in the last phase of the Little Sisters quest, Mavrick just stands there like a lump and refuses to get onto the beach. How do I fix this?

Make sure that you are actually walking far enough onto the beach. I was surprised by how close to the water you needed to get to activate the quest. If that doesn't work, try reloading a previous save.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Attention Horse posted:

I'm happy that they aren't working on Witcher 3 right now. Cyberpunk is a nice change of pace for them.

Yeah same. I love me some Witcher but it's good when studios mix it up rather than rehashing the same IPs over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Opus125 posted:

Is the "hard" difficulty in this game harder than the same option for the previous game? I'm getting my rear end kicked. Can't get past the tutorial.

The tutorial as in the arena fight? That fight evaluates your skill level and suggests a combat difficulty for you, and it's normal for you to be struck down during it. If you're talking about the Prologue, then I'd just suggest turning down the difficulty until you've got a better feel for the techniques. Witcher 2 is a bit like Ninja Gaiden in that you'll struggle through the early bosses on your first playthrough, only to blow past them on a replay.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 11, 2012

• Locked thread