Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dox
Mar 4, 2006

einTier posted:

Is there any other solution for what I want to do?

I'm basically in the same boat as you-- buying the Apple TV 3 to use as an XBMC client talking to the NAS. Unfortunately, the only options right now are either AirVideo (or an equivalent) or AirParrot... which sucks. Hopefully a jailbreak comes out in due time, but don't get your hopes up anytime soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
FYI, Seas0npass is updated.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

quote:

Seas0nPass provides an UNTETHERED jailbreak of the 2nd gen Apple TV running the latest 5.0.1 (iOS 5.1.1 - 9B206f) software that was released on May 10th, 2012.

Older Apple TV versions can be used with Seas0nPass if you have saved firmware signatures.

The 3rd gen Apple TV is not yet supported.

And in case any of you have a PITA time getting into DFU mode like I usually do:

quote:

- press menu+down ( when usb connected)--> this reboots the atv

- remove the power

- press menu+play for the 7 secs or so ( this will put it into dfu mode)

- replace the power cable and continue

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 26, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kenderama posted:

Hooray! Looks like at present, only this version of XBMC works with 5.1. And this version of Plex works for me.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 26, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone seen this happen before? None of the apps came up this morning, just home sharing. Rebooting fixed it but very odd.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

smackfu posted:

Anyone seen this happen before? None of the apps came up this morning, just home sharing. Rebooting fixed it but very odd.

I've had that happen before too, and a reboot did the trick. No idea why though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

markerstore posted:

I've had that happen before too, and a reboot did the trick. No idea why though.

It's a fairly common issue. Seems to be network related.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3829173?start=0&tstart=0

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whenever the power goes out or I disconnect my cable internet, the apple tv requires a restart after the network comes back up or I'll get that screen.

When you've got no connection, it wont load any of the apps.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Can anyone tell me how to re-arrange the home screen on an ATV2 5.0.1 JB? I can't seem to find a solid guide or walk-through. I have XBMC running on both my systems now and would like to tweak the Apple menu layout a bit.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Tapedump posted:

Can anyone tell me how to re-arrange the home screen on an ATV2 5.0.1 JB? I can't seem to find a solid guide or walk-through. I have XBMC running on both my systems now and would like to tweak the Apple menu layout a bit.

Overflow does what you need.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Currently, Overflow is non-functional with the latest untethered JB. http://blog.firecore.com/8099

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ah, drat. Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Next, can anyone share a nicely configured joystick.AppleRemote.xml to make my Harmony (550) remotes work super-slick? They are working now in simplest terms, but I'd like to milk a little more functionality than just UDLR/select/menu/play buttons.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's BGR but rumor has it Apple is going to unveil a SDK for the Apple TV next week.

Here's hoping.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Is there a trick to getting WatchESPN to play over AirPlay *without* using mirroring? I swear I had it working at one point, but now every time I send the stream to AppleTV, the audio works fine (stereo), but the video is still on the iPad. My ATV3 has been updated and other apps stream video just fine.

edit: looks like someone on MacRumors emailed ESPN and:

quote:

Hello,
Thank you for reporting this issue to us.
I apologize for the frustration. We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding.
drat.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I keep denying the newest update thinking a jailbreak is going to come soon.

Never had a JB'ed ATV but can see the appeal. I understand it's very hard for the current teams to crack, but I bet if a contest was released it would be cracked in a day! Wish I had the money to put up for it, haha.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

AirPlay mirroring in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. This is big!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
No Hulu support in iOS6. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it's pretty well established that is more a business problem than technology problem, I would think if they ever worked out a deal it would get added in pretty fast

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hulu will come once Apple does two things:

1) Allows apps on the AppleTV
2) Works out their whole iTV product/service

You can bet whatever iTunes backed service Apple manages to create for their Apple-branded TV set will also be ported to AppleTV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if there will be any obstacles to full screening the Hulu web player and airplaying it to your TV. DVD Player disables the screenshot command so there's some sort of DRM respecting system built into the OS.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Kenderama posted:

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

And in case any of you have a PITA time getting into DFU mode like I usually do:

drat, I wish I saw this post sooner. I was struggling with the jailbreak for a while tonight. Listen to this man, unplug the power cable after the DFU.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

gooby on rails posted:

I wonder if there will be any obstacles to full screening the Hulu web player and airplaying it to your TV. DVD Player disables the screenshot command so there's some sort of DRM respecting system built into the OS.

I think mirroring is up to the content provider. I'm not at home to check right now, but I want to say you can mirror netflix and not mirror hulu off an ipad/iphone, so I'm thinking Hulu is playing some role in this. I would think you could probably mirror off your mac just fullscreening safari, though?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know I can mirror the Hulu app off the iPad to an aTV. It doesn't look great and doesn't fill the TV screen but it works.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was thinking of airplay because I am stupid :doh:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, airplay can be restricted by the app so it's on Hulu to enable support for it. But they seem to be holding out for whatever reason/agreement with Apple.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm not sure where to ask. Would there be interest in a megathread on eliminating TV and using things like Hulu\Netflix\aTV? If I get a couple of yes answers, I'll start drawing up the thread with all the information I have

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Moeru posted:

I'm not sure where to ask. Would there be interest in a megathread on eliminating TV and using things like Hulu\Netflix\aTV? If I get a couple of yes answers, I'll start drawing up the thread with all the information I have

Yes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yes also very interested in such a thread.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Yes please!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Moeru posted:

A section on like, just specifically sports would be awesome too since thats the only thing that I still need cable for it seems.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There was a thread about that in TVIV called, I think 'Cutting the Cable' or something like that. I don't remember if it was super informative or more of a casual 'hey I did this' discussion though. Anyways, more resources are always good, I've been thinking about getting rid of cable when I move back home here in a couple months.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Moeru posted:

I'm sure us Canadians would love to hear ways for us to cut the cable as well. You guys have some things over us like Hulu and poo poo.

Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010
I feel like I've missed the boat on buying an ATV2 as I can only find the 3rd version being sold. I've already got a streaming solution, but my brother is looking for one and the ATV is super cheap so I figure it might be worth a shot. It wouldn't be much of a bother to convert all my stuff to the appropriate format so it plays through iTunes but I have a few questions:

1. Do all my video files have to be in the iTunes folder? Currently they are all in their own folder on my external drive and iTunes is installed on the internal drive. I don't have nearly enough space on my internal drive to keep all the video files on there, so I was wondering if you can point iTunes at another folder or something?

2. How does the ATV3 handle 5.1 audio? Right now I can stream it to my PS3 if I encode MP4s with Handbrake's AAC 6 channel discrete option and that works beautifully. Will the ATV be able to stream the audio?

3. Is there a program like Subler for Windows?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FishBulb posted:

There was a thread about that in TVIV called, I think 'Cutting the Cable' or something like that. I don't remember if it was super informative or more of a casual 'hey I did this' discussion though. Anyways, more resources are always good, I've been thinking about getting rid of cable when I move back home here in a couple months.

I got rid of cable a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Between my ATV2/XBMC, Netflix and iTunes I have no reason to miss it. That will change come football season I'm sure, but I can go to any bar for that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

golgo13sf posted:

I got rid of cable a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Between my ATV2/XBMC, Netflix and iTunes I have no reason to miss it. That will change come football season I'm sure, but I can go to any bar for that.

If you are an out of market fan then you are in luck with the NBA and MLB apps for the AppleTV and 360 since you don't have to deal with local blackout restrictions. I have to keep basic Comcast cable for my semi-local team.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

If you are an out of market fan then you are in luck with the NBA and MLB apps for the AppleTV and 360 since you don't have to deal with local blackout restrictions. I have to keep basic Comcast cable for my semi-local team.

Unfortunately I don't watch either one.

College and pro football and college bball are my poison.

Not the end of the world, I'd probably have more fun watching at a bar or a friend's house anyway.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

golgo13sf posted:

Unfortunately I don't watch either one.

College and pro football and college bball are my poison.

Not the end of the world, I'd probably have more fun watching at a bar or a friend's house anyway.

And then probably spend every bit of savings you accrued from dropping cable.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'll draw up the original today. I'll update the OP as we go for more canadian\international issues. I will do a short one on Sports as requested.

Thread up

edit: added link to thread

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Suqit posted:

And then probably spend every bit of savings you accrued from dropping cable.

But I'll have a substantially better time :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Cannon Goose posted:

1. Do all my video files have to be in the iTunes folder? Currently they are all in their own folder on my external drive and iTunes is installed on the internal drive. I don't have nearly enough space on my internal drive to keep all the video files on there, so I was wondering if you can point iTunes at another folder or something?
Nope. You just need to disable "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder" and then they can be stored wherever, even an external drive or network share.

Cannon Goose posted:

2. How does the ATV3 handle 5.1 audio? Right now I can stream it to my PS3 if I encode MP4s with Handbrake's AAC 6 channel discrete option and that works beautifully. Will the ATV be able to stream the audio?

Apple TV doesn't handle 6-channel audio. It must be encoded as 5.1 in order to get surround sound.

• Locked thread