Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Sudo runs the command following as another user (root by default)

So you open a terminal, then in that window, you write (or copy/paste)

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4E9CFF4E

which will run apt-key as root.

(If you're familiar with the Windows command line, the equivalent command would be something like runas /user:administrator "apt-get adv....")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I made a shortcut to a program on the desktop, picked an icon for it and it looks and works great. Even shows the right icon in the dock. But when i drag the icon to the launcher, it reverts back to the jack in he box looking spring icon.

edit: figured it out

I created this file as ~/.local/share/applications/sublime.desktop
code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Sublime Text 2
Comment=Sublime Text
Exec="/home/robert/Downloads/Sublime Text 2/sublime_text" %F
MimeType=text/plain;
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=sublime_text.png
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor;Development;Utility;
Then I copied the icone file included with the app to /usr/share/pixmaps/

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 12, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Slopehead posted:

Okay super, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the duh in your face answer. I/we are still extremely new at this.

I assume Sudo is the default terminal emulator in Ubuntu? I'd check but the computer isn't in front of me.

You don't need to mess around in the terminal to add repositories to ubuntu, in fact I recommend you don't. This page lists multiple ways to add repositories to ubuntu. Use the Ubuntu Software Center method if you're using the standard ubuntu install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Installed to external USB hard drive but I got a grub fatal error at the end of the install. I booted a USB with rEFIt and it didn't see it. What do I have to do special to get my Macbook Air to boot a USB hard drive with Ubuntu on it?

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Bob Morales posted:

Installed to external USB hard drive but I got a grub fatal error at the end of the install. I booted a USB with rEFIt and it didn't see it. What do I have to do special to get my Macbook Air to boot a USB hard drive with Ubuntu on it?

You shouldn't have to do anything special. I did it the other day to make sure 12.04 worked on my MBA and it booted off USB just fine.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
anyone here have experience with Ubuntu cloud? I was playing around with the cloud live CD last night but having some issues. in the control panel it wouldn't create any volumes. I assume that's because it was running off USB. I was able to load the cirros image, but couldn't SSH into it from another computer in my LAN even though it was set as public.
is there an easy way to just install that live image, or do I have to install server edition on several computers and choose the MAAS option?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I want to shut down my computer with a cron job, but it doesn't work. shutdown -h, shutdown -P and shutdown -r all work fine when run in a console, but in a cron job it just shows the ubuntu shutdown screen (and suspends when using -h or -P) but never actually powers down or restarts.

I tried shutdown -r now in a cronjob and I got the usual broadcast message and it disconnected my ssh session, but did not actually reboot.

Since nothing happened, I reopened the ssh session and ran shutdown -r now, and it worked beautfully. :confused:

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I used to use btnx on prior versions of Ubuntu, to map Home and End to extra mouse buttons. Now, btnx is apparently deprecated, I can't get the old source to compile cleanly, and I can't find any newer alternatives for 12.04.

Is there something which can easily map a keystroke to a mouse button, like btnx?

EDIT: I got it working by going to my 11.10 backup, and just copying the btnx and btnx-config binaries, and the config file btnx-config.glade. It is working perfectly.

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 18, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

I want to shut down my computer with a cron job, but it doesn't work. shutdown -h, shutdown -P and shutdown -r all work fine when run in a console, but in a cron job it just shows the ubuntu shutdown screen (and suspends when using -h or -P) but never actually powers down or restarts.

Well, I don't really know what causes it, but I was able to make an acceptable solution.

My original try was
code:
0 1 * * * /usr/bin/setwake_to_630_and_shutdown.sh
That script then runs
code:
/usr/bin/setwakeup.sh `date --date "today 6:30" +%s`
/sbin/shutdown -h +5 "sleeping until 6:30, use shutdown -c to cancel"
setwakeup.sh:
code:
echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm #this clears your alarm.
echo $1 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm #this writes your alarm
Maybe I went too deep with my scrips or something. Anyway, the following crontab seems to work just fine:
code:
0 1 * * * /usr/bin/staticwakeup.sh
0 1 * * * /sbin/shutdown -P +5 "powering down until mornining, use shutdown -c to cancel"
where staticwakeup.sh contains
code:
#!/bin/sh
TIME=`date --date "today 6:30" +%s`

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm #this clears your alarm.
echo $TIME > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm #this writes your alarm
A little less fancy (I guess), but does the same thing

edit: Except now that it's the next day, I saw that it didn't work any better. :mad:

Maybe it's the length of the sleep or the countdown to it. With a 5 minute sleep and 1 minute warning to shutdown, it works the way I want to. ~5 hours shotdown and 5 minute warning and the computer does power down, but when it comes back up (or rather when I wake up and turn the tv back on) it's in the shoutdown screen. i.e. this screen: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4B7ZWQHqMpk/TMcEEwqP88I/AAAAAAAAAEc/uVUzQyc32Ik/s1600/boot1.png

Wheany fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 19, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Are there any good web development IDEs for ubuntu (lubuntu in my case if that makes a difference)?

Or even just a nice text editor with HTML and CSS highlighting?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fuf posted:

Are there any good web development IDEs for ubuntu (lubuntu in my case if that makes a difference)?

Sublimetext is a fine text editor

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Hopefully hasn't been asked a million times. I have a wubi install on my dual-booted machine. Will there be any issues with just do-dist-upgrading it?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I gave up on Ubuntu after 11.04 (mostly because of Unity) but I've been trying the new release on a VM and it seems like they solved most of the problems related to releasing Unity before it was ready for production.

So, I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu again. I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

gmq posted:

I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.

I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. My father uses inkscape in production, but that's just to create logos for his products. There's also LibreOffice Draw, although I can't attest to its quality.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

angrytech posted:

I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. My father uses inkscape in production, but that's just to create logos for his products. There's also LibreOffice Draw, although I can't attest to its quality.

I do a lot of things with it, from making website mockups (including graphical resources like logos, backgrounds, icons, etc) to perfectly ordinary photo editing.

Lately I have been making mockups directly into HTML but I still need something to make things to fill up that mockup.

vvvv
Last time I tried that, Photoshop ran actually slower than on a VM and it had some graphical issues. :v:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 19, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gmq posted:

So, I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu again. I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.

Run it in WINE?

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I keep meaning to check out Pinta, but I haven't had the chance to yet.

There is also Paint-Mono - maybe not ready for prime time yet though?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

gmq posted:

I gave up on Ubuntu after 11.04 (mostly because of Unity) but I've been trying the new release on a VM and it seems like they solved most of the problems related to releasing Unity before it was ready for production.

I hate unity so I just installed Gnome, and now it looks just like 10.04 :cool:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So there's a fantastic bug in 12.04 that affects laptops. The Fn+F1 shortcut on Dell computers no longer functions properly. There's a patch, but I have no idea how to use the patch command. The patch is something that can be applied to an install right, it's not for the source code?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/950160

Is it wrong to ask for help on this kind of thing here?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

gmq posted:

Last time I tried that, Photoshop ran actually slower than on a VM and it had some graphical issues. :v:

How long ago was it? WINE keeps getting better at what it does, if it was a while ago I'd try it again.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jago posted:

So there's a fantastic bug in 12.04 that affects laptops. The Fn+F1 shortcut on Dell computers no longer functions properly. There's a patch, but I have no idea how to use the patch command. The patch is something that can be applied to an install right, it's not for the source code?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/950160

Is it wrong to ask for help on this kind of thing here?
The way to apply a patch is actually quite involved -- you have to get the package source, apply the patch to that, rebuild the package, and then install the resulting binary packages.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Destroyenator posted:

... What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?

For example, Microsoft wireless mice have a weird issue...
I'm here to eat my pride because the 12.04 update did fix my mouse scrolling. Well played Canonical.

Edit: actually no it didn't. My previous whingeing stands.

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 20, 2012

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

gmq posted:

I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.
There's Krita which seems pretty powerful, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

There's also MyPaint which seems pretty solid (and it starts up quicker than GIMP).

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

fuf posted:

I'm partial to Bluefish simply because I run around between Windows, Linux and Mac boxes and I'm lazy enough that I just want to use the one interface on all three platforms.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 15, 2014

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Eukodol posted:

I'm partial to Bluefish simply because I run around between Windows, Linux and Mac boxes and I'm lazy enough that I just want to use the one interface on all three platforms.

JetBrains' IDEs work very well on all three platforms as well. I mostly use PyCharm and a bit of IntelliJ on Kubuntu, but I've tried them on all three platforms and I've only had good experiences.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
I'm having a wireless connection problem since I've upgraded to 12.04. I'm able to connect to a wireless but not to the internet. Other devices are able to connect successfully with internet to the same connections (another laptop and my android phone). What's weird is I'm able to connect to the open ATT wireless connections. I was briefly out of the country when it stopped working. I've reset the country code back to the US using iw.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oops. Forgot about the thread :blush:

Longinus00 posted:

What program is crashing? It should say in the crash report.

blueman-applet. I assume it's the Bluetooth manager? Seems to happen often after opening the laptop's lid, but it doesn't seem to do anything. My Bluetooth mouse works just fine after it happens. I don't want to make Apport ignore the crash (which is an option), I just want it to be sent automatically.

Speaking of mice: Can anyone recommend a touchpad manager that has the same functionality as Synaptiks but, you know, actually loving works?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Well, I don't really know what causes it, but I was able to make an acceptable solution.

[snipped]

edit: Except now that it's the next day, I saw that it didn't work any better. :mad:

I think I know my actual problem now. It's because my tv is off during the reboot, (and because Mythbuntu logs in automatically?) Ubuntu goes into low graphics mode.

Is there some way of making ubuntu get out of that mode (automatically) when I turn on my tv?

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001
So has anybody figured out why the webcam/mic flash setting popup is unclickable (unless in full screen) with Unity 3d?

People blame the flash plugin, but I know for sure it's Compiz. I've tried Gnash as well with the same results.

There is a work around, but it's a huge pain. Unity 2d works fine for this, but I want the pretty desktop effects :(

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
when using gnome classic, is there a way to have all three menu options at the top (which are Applications/Places/Admin. Admin seems to be missing which then makes it slightly harder to get rid of.

Additionally, it seems like Alt+Tab is broken as well. (I installed gnome by using sudo apt-get install gnome-shell. should I remove it/install gnome through the fallback method?)

I wanted away from unity because when using steam through playonlinux (which uses WINE), it would create a black box to the lower right of the window as well as eventually causing the bar on the top and left sides of the screen to disappear completely (though I could still select icons/menu tabs). I guess I'd settle for fixing unity as it does bootup faster than gnome.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I'm completely new to Ubuntu. I have an older desktop running 12.04, and I'm using it as a media server for a couple HTPC's while also running SABNZBD. What's the best way to decrease power consumption? I've seen things like Jupiter, laptop mode tools, etc, but like I said I'm new to all this. So far I've just tried using the suspend mode, but I noticed that once it suspends my HTPC loses its connection.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I'm completely new to Ubuntu. I have an older desktop running 12.04, and I'm using it as a media server for a couple HTPC's while also running SABNZBD. What's the best way to decrease power consumption? I've seen things like Jupiter, laptop mode tools, etc, but like I said I'm new to all this. So far I've just tried using the suspend mode, but I noticed that once it suspends my HTPC loses its connection.
You mean the connection to the machine you just put in sleep mode? Yeah, that's how suspend works. It takes down pretty much everything except what's needed to keep the RAM going. That means programs won't do anything while it's sleeping, and the network cards are powered down.

If you want to decrease power consumption, make sure you have cpufreq and laptop_mode installed. The basic settings should be enough to decrease it quite a lot, and they'll be active immediately after installation IIRC (well, assuming your hardware has support for that kind of stuff).

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

Zom Aur posted:

You mean the connection to the machine you just put in sleep mode? Yeah, that's how suspend works. It takes down pretty much everything except what's needed to keep the RAM going. That means programs won't do anything while it's sleeping, and the network cards are powered down.

If you want to decrease power consumption, make sure you have cpufreq and laptop_mode installed. The basic settings should be enough to decrease it quite a lot, and they'll be active immediately after installation IIRC (well, assuming your hardware has support for that kind of stuff).

Thanks! I'll check those out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm using a Macbook 2,1; dual-booting OSX and Xubuntu 12.04. The laptop seems to have a lot of trouble connecting to my wireless network. Xubuntu reports the connection as successful and a great signal, but I can hardly do a thing with it. There is a lot of latency and it takes forever to actually load anything. I'm not sure what kind of diagnostics checks I can do here, so I was hoping someone here could give me a hand getting this to work.

For the record, wireless works fine in OSX.

EDIT: Guess I should mention that my other computer (Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7) connects without a problem as well. It's just Linux...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2012

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Not sure why this is, but for some reason when I tried to do a clean install from my USB drive, there was a problem at the end trying to install GRUB (I tried twice). After burning to a disc and using that instead, the installation went off without a hitch. Just a heads up for anyone who might be having trouble.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

enthe0s posted:

Not sure why this is, but for some reason when I tried to do a clean install from my USB drive, there was a problem at the end trying to install GRUB (I tried twice). After burning to a disc and using that instead, the installation went off without a hitch. Just a heads up for anyone who might be having trouble.

I've had problems on two computers now where the installer wrote GRUB to the USB drive rather than the hard drive. It's not too hard to fix from a live CD/USB, but it seems like the installer should be more intelligent.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Fun fact: the Humble Indie Bundle V is now out, and can be purchased here. Once you purchase them, the download page has a link that will automatically install the games via the Ubuntu Software Center. The future is now!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

enthe0s posted:

Same thing happened when I tried on my MBA. I think there's a problem enumerating the install drive since it's on USB or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok I'm three hours in and I'm channeling 1999. How do I get a working E.Q. in Ubuntu? Every single possible thing that existed no longer works on Precise Pangolin, and Winamp in Wine is completely spastic. What is the easiest path to get an equalizer in Ubuntu? This poo poo used to come with Movie Player and it seems to be totally absent now.

• Locked thread