Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

revmoo posted:

Ok I'm three hours in and I'm channeling 1999. How do I get a working E.Q. in Ubuntu? Every single possible thing that existed no longer works on Precise Pangolin, and Winamp in Wine is completely spastic. What is the easiest path to get an equalizer in Ubuntu? This poo poo used to come with Movie Player and it seems to be totally absent now.

lol,

King of Ubuntoos posted:

a rejected feature - won't fix

http://askubuntu.com/questions/110348/how-can-i-enable-the-pulseaudio-equalizer

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
^^^ Ok whoa nice name team-up there. Can you elaborate on that second quote because I have absolutely no loving clue what it means and I'm curious.

revmoo posted:

Ok I'm three hours in and I'm channeling 1999. How do I get a working E.Q. in Ubuntu? Every single possible thing that existed no longer works on Precise Pangolin, and Winamp in Wine is completely spastic. What is the easiest path to get an equalizer in Ubuntu? This poo poo used to come with Movie Player and it seems to be totally absent now.

I don't know about the "equalizer" magic of which you speak, but does this help? http://askubuntu.com/questions/109297/how-do-i-install-an-equalizer-in-rhythmbox Rhythmbox is pretty great and I'd recommend just using that if you can.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha wow I have to clone a git repo to get an eq...

I mean, I'll do it. Just wow.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

angrytech posted:

Can you elaborate on that second quote because I have absolutely no loving clue what it means and I'm curious.

The launchpad bug mentions that the equalizer depends on a package that isn't in the main supported repository thus it cannot be included.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

MrMoo posted:

The launchpad bug mentions that the equalizer depends on a package that isn't in the main supported repository thus it cannot be included.

Oh ok got it. Thanks for the clarification.
In any case it's no big deal, just run the Quantal alpha. Hasn't crashed on me in two d

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

revmoo posted:

Haha wow I have to clone a git repo to get an eq...

I mean, I'll do it. Just wow.

the winamp-clone audio player xmms (or its descendent, audacious) has one built in

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How do you install xmms? i have the console version but there no longer seems to be a gui package available.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

angrytech posted:

Rhythmbox is pretty great and I'd recommend just using that if you can.

Unless you listen to any classical music ever, in which case it's worthless because they haven't implemented support for the Composer tag at any point in the last decade.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Penguissimo posted:

Unless you listen to any classical music ever, in which case it's worthless because they haven't implemented support for the Composer tag at any point in the last decade.

I recently discovered Clementine, and this is one of the many reasons why I made the switch to it over Rhythmbox. It's pretty much a Linux version of foobar2000, only without the capacity to be customized to ridiculously niche tastes.

Just wish it supported gapless playback. Some Linux users listen to progressive rock you know :argh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ahh Clementine is perfect. I can't believe Ubuntu doesn't have any eq stock in anything. Nerds don't appreciate music?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Of course: http://ubuntustudio.org/

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I recently discovered Clementine, and this is one of the many reasons why I made the switch to it over Rhythmbox. It's pretty much a Linux version of foobar2000, only without the capacity to be customized to ridiculously niche tastes.

Just wish it supported gapless playback. Some Linux users listen to progressive rock you know :argh:

Holy crap, this looks awesome, thanks! I've been using Banshee, but it's been slowing as my library grows.

One question: if I'm on the All Files smart playlist, and I sort by album, is there any way to have it sort each individual album by the track number in the id3 tag? Right now it's going alphabetically by file name, which is a problem since the filenames don't include the track number.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Penguissimo posted:

One question: if I'm on the All Files smart playlist, and I sort by album, is there any way to have it sort each individual album by the track number in the id3 tag? Right now it's going alphabetically by file name, which is a problem since the filenames don't include the track number.

Right click and edit the smart playlist. Go through the pages until you find the sorting algorithm one. Sorting is the only issue I have with Clementine because it can be obtuse. I have my library named so that they should be sorted by directory (e.g. in Windows: C:/Users/Mak0rz/Music/Artist/year Album/track# Title), so there's always a hierarchy that goes: Artist > Albums in chronological order > tracks in sequential order. It was a pain to figure out how to get Clementine to sort things this way.

In case you're wondering there's also a "File Name (with directory)" column heading instead of just straight-up file name.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 20, 2012

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Clementine looks great, I really like the fact that under Radio it has all the DI.fm streams. Only problem is it is telling me it can't decode the stream, anyone else having this issue. If I import my saved di.fm .pls stream it will play them just fine. :iiam:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

revmoo posted:

Ahh Clementine is perfect. I can't believe Ubuntu doesn't have any eq stock in anything. Nerds don't appreciate music?
Nerds care about audio quality, which means accuracy, which means anything that changes the music in any way is automatically wrong and bad.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

niss posted:

Clementine looks great, I really like the fact that under Radio it has all the DI.fm streams. Only problem is it is telling me it can't decode the stream, anyone else having this issue. If I import my saved di.fm .pls stream it will play them just fine. :iiam:

nvm, i'm stupid, went looking around the options and for some reason the DI.fm streams were defaulted to AAC, changed to MP3 and all is well.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

niss posted:

nvm, i'm stupid, went looking around the options and for some reason the DI.fm streams were defaulted to AAC, changed to MP3 and all is well.
That was like the time I was using Brasero to burn a couple of DVDs for work. Yeah, turns out it was (at the time) defaulted to PAL and not NTSC.

:sigh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Right click and edit the smart playlist. Go through the pages until you find the sorting algorithm one. Sorting is the only issue I have with Clementine because it can be obtuse. I have my library named so that they should be sorted by directory (e.g. in Windows: C:/Users/Mak0rz/Music/Artist/year Album/track# Title), so there's always a hierarchy that goes: Artist > Albums in chronological order > tracks in sequential order. It was a pain to figure out how to get Clementine to sort things this way.

In case you're wondering there's also a "File Name (with directory)" column heading instead of just straight-up file name.

That did it, thanks!! This seems like a really powerful piece of software, and now I'm really stoked to go poking around and see what else I can do.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just installed Xubuntu 12.04 on a Thinkpad T430, which has UEFI instead of BIOS, so I did a UEFI install. It runs fine; however, no Plymouth/GRUB entries/kernel messages are shown on boot, just one line: "error: no suitable mode found.". I tried the supposed fix here, but there was no change. (Actually, I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom instead of /boot/grub/grub.cfg since to my understanding, grub.cfg is overwritten whenever update-grub runs.)

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I'm about to redo my server with Ubuntu. Will all my data drives being NTFS be okay until I make a new array with new drives? I currently have two RAID-5 arrays and don't have space to back them up to redo it.

This is for home use. Use it to stream and store data for other computers (normally one or two using it at once. Never more than one HD stream at a time). Ubuntu will have its own drive with whichever file system it defaults to.

And finally, what's the best RDP analogue to control this box with my windows 7 devices?

Triikan fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 24, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I like xrdp.

Edit: My knowledge of NTFS in Linux only extends as far as "it will work".

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 26, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Triikan posted:

And finally, what's the best RDP analogue to control this box with my windows 7 devices?

VNC

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I didn't have any trouble reading/writing to NTFS volumes from Ubuntu. It may have been a bit slower than from an ext* formatted volume but it's been a while so i don't remember exactly.

Starker44
May 14, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have an ASUS Eee PC 1015px with Intel Atom CPU N570.

I'm looking for any input regarding ubuntu distro's for the Eee PC. I tried Puppy (loved it) was having issues with getting it to boot from the HD instead of the USB. So I was looking at Ubuntu 12.04 and saw that in 11.04 they merged the UNE with the desktop version, so I installed 12.04 on my netbook but now its really laggy and slow. I found this Linux distro list and saw that Eeebuntu has turned into Aurora OS. I can't seem to find and iso's or torrents for Eeebuntu 3.0 nbr or EB 4.0 Beta. All the mirrors or links take you to the https://auroraos.org website and the links there seem to be broken. Does anyone else have an Eee PC and what distro are you using? Or does anyone have any previous experience with a distro that would be great on an Atom CPU.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Starker44 posted:

Let me start by saying that I have an ASUS Eee PC 1015px with Intel Atom CPU N570.

I'm looking for any input regarding ubuntu distro's for the Eee PC. I tried Puppy (loved it) was having issues with getting it to boot from the HD instead of the USB. So I was looking at Ubuntu 12.04 and saw that in 11.04 they merged the UNE with the desktop version, so I installed 12.04 on my netbook but now its really laggy and slow. I found this Linux distro list and saw that Eeebuntu has turned into Aurora OS. I can't seem to find and iso's or torrents for Eeebuntu 3.0 nbr or EB 4.0 Beta. All the mirrors or links take you to the https://auroraos.org website and the links there seem to be broken. Does anyone else have an Eee PC and what distro are you using? Or does anyone have any previous experience with a distro that would be great on an Atom CPU.
Lubuntu seems to be the preferred lightweight Ubuntu flavor these days.

I used stock Ubuntu on my Eee up until January, though I did get a bit bothered by responsiveness.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Yeah, I guess I was hoping that there something more advanced than that. RDP has a bunch of great functions that VNC doesn't quite do. Thanks though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Edit: wrong thread, I suck.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 28, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Triikan posted:

I'm about to redo my server with Ubuntu. Will all my data drives being NTFS be okay until I make a new array with new drives? I currently have two RAID-5 arrays and don't have space to back them up to redo it.

This is for home use. Use it to stream and store data for other computers (normally one or two using it at once. Never more than one HD stream at a time). Ubuntu will have its own drive with whichever file system it defaults to.

I think you'll be fine. The NTFS fuse plugin is pretty mature, and for a fuse plugin, it's pretty fast (certainly fast enough for a media server).

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Is this what is used by default when you check "let others control this desktop" (?)

I did that and can access my box from my mac but it is unusably slow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sleepstupid posted:

Is this what is used by default when you check "let others control this desktop" (?)

I did that and can access my box from my mac but it is unusably slow.

Do you have graphical effects, wallpaper, etc?

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Do you have graphical effects, wallpaper, etc?

Not sure about effects, I just installed from scratch, I haven't customized anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sleepstupid posted:

Not sure about effects, I just installed from scratch, I haven't customized anything.

Shouldn't be too slow unless you have some 30" monitor or something. I can control my Mac at work from home over a 10/2 cable modem, dual screens @ 1920x1080 and it's pretty usuable.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Well, btrfs saved my rear end yesterday. I'm running Kubuntu Quantal -- I reinstalled on my Lenovo X61 when the KDE 4.9 beta was part of the daily builds. I've been aptitude full-upgrade'ing regularly, and it looks like some recent updates broke Xorg (most likely the Intel and/or Vesa drivers; these were showing up with (EE) lines in Xorg.0.log). Newer daily live images have the same behavior on my system, and this might be related to the lack of a current i686/x86_64 image at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/.

Luckily, I took a snapshot of my root filesystem a few days ago; all I had to do was
  1. boot from a working live image
  2. mount the root subvolume and cd to where I mounted it
  3. btrfs subvolume delete @
  4. btrfs subvolume snapshot snapshots/root@20120701-1221 @

At the moment I'm forcing the Xorg drivers to stay at their current version and attempting to install the other updates. Hopefully I'll have a working system after that, but if not it'll only take a few minutes to revert :)

EDIT: I have a usable system after keeping the old version of the Xorg drivers and upgrading everything else. It wouldn't be a development release if this kind of stuff didn't happen, and btrfs snapshots are tremendously useful as a safety net.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lysidas posted:

Well, btrfs saved my rear end yesterday. I'm running Kubuntu Quantal -- I reinstalled on my Lenovo X61 when the KDE 4.9 beta was part of the daily builds. I've been aptitude full-upgrade'ing regularly, and it looks like some recent updates broke Xorg (most likely the Intel and/or Vesa drivers; these were showing up with (EE) lines in Xorg.0.log). Newer daily live images have the same behavior on my system, and this might be related to the lack of a current i686/x86_64 image at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/.

Luckily, I took a snapshot of my root filesystem a few days ago; all I had to do was
  1. boot from a working live image
  2. mount the root subvolume and cd to where I mounted it
  3. btrfs subvolume delete @
  4. btrfs subvolume snapshot snapshots/root@20120701-1221 @

At the moment I'm forcing the Xorg drivers to stay at their current version and attempting to install the other updates. Hopefully I'll have a working system after that, but if not it'll only take a few minutes to revert :)

EDIT: I have a usable system after keeping the old version of the Xorg drivers and upgrading everything else. It wouldn't be a development release if this kind of stuff didn't happen, and btrfs snapshots are tremendously useful as a safety net.

I like btrfs so that is cool, but could you not have just reversed the last apt upgrade?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I like btrfs so that is cool, but could you not have just reversed the last apt upgrade?

Probably. I'm not sure how to do that, though. Downgrading packages with apt was a pain when I last tried to do it, and I also wasn't sure which package broke my system. It would have been a lot more work to look at /var/log/apt/history.log and downgrade each individual package until I get a working system. Reverting my entire root FS was very fast and easy.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I just did a fresh install of 12.04 Lubuntu, and any time I create a non-NTFS partition I'm unable to create or move files on it, unless I do it through sudo commands. What setting am I missing here?

EDIT: I can also use with "Open as root", but that doesn't seem like the correct solution.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 4, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Triikan posted:

I just did a fresh install of 12.04 Lubuntu, and any time I create a non-NTFS partition I'm unable to create or move files on it, unless I do it through sudo commands. What setting am I missing here?

EDIT: I can also use with "Open as root", but that doesn't seem like the correct solution.

You're missing that the owner of the directory is root and nobody else has write permissions.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Triikan posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Longinus00 posted:

You're missing that the owner of the directory is root and nobody else has write permissions.

Thanks. All settled now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ubuntu Server 10.04 question:

How difficult is it to get DHCPv6 working (without mucking up a perfectly-fine IPv4 server)? The dhcp3-server daemon doesn't seem to be able to support IPv6.

I have big bucket of static IPv6 addresses for my systems, plus IPv6 DNS working.

For end-users, I tried running as an "IPv6-only" system - their IPv6 address autoconfigures without DHCP, but I have to manually enter in DNS and domain search order since there is no IPv6 DHCP server giving out that info.

• Locked thread