Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Merkinman posted:

Which would mean 75%, or 3/4 majority could run 64-bit :confused:
How low would the percentage of 32bit need to be??

I think part of the argument is that if you are going to actually utilize 64-bit, you'll go through the trouble of choosing it, so why alienate potential users by not using 32-bit as the default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I just booted the 32-bit Ubuntu desktop live CD, and uname -a is telling me

code:
Linux ubuntu 3.2.0-23-generic-pae #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 22:19:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
I'd guess that a great deal of users with 64-bit capable hardware would be just fine with a PAE kernel and 32-bit libraries/applications. You still get to use all of your RAM, but each program is constrained to the 32-bit virtual memory size.

A single program using more than 2GB RAM probably isn't that common for normal desktop use; if you actually need 12GB for a single application you probably know enough to grab the 64-bit version.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the default Ubuntu 12.04 32bit PAE enabled? If so, the 4GB barrier is not present, and thus I cant really think of a good reason to use 64bit. With windows, I went with 64bit thanks to the 4GB "limit". I choose 64bit Linux simply because it seems like the best(?) fit software for my hardware.

Is PAE a mess like segment:offset memory or not?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
My (admittedly incomplete) understanding is that PAE is a bit of a hack; it complicates virtual memory access, and if you can run 64-bit code you should do so.

Certain things will see a performance boost because of more register space -- both in the number of general purpose registers and their size. Compression, encryption and video encoding are some of the more common tasks that are significantly accelerated by 64-bit compilation. You never know when you'll need a lot of memory for a single program, either; now that Steam is apparently being ported to Linux, I'd assume that there will be native 64-bit builds of the associated games. Why not let them cache as much as they want in memory? :hellyeah:

(Of course, it's also very easy to use ridiculous amounts of memory when you're doing any kind of scientific computing; but this isn't typical desktop Linux usage. I regularly have single programs using 12GB on my desktop machine.)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Something I've noticed with Ubuntu is that it never has a "clean" startup or shutdown screen.

Ubuntu Desktop has a graphical startup and shutdown, but before the graphical startup, some text quickly flashes by. Are we supposed to note what it is (for diagnostics)? Before the graphical shutdown splash is displayed, a ton of text that has random alignment is splashed all over the screen. What is the point?

Messed up line breaks, non-functional word-wrap, confusing (and unnecessary) output, etc. This has been in every release of Ubuntu Linux.

Neither Windows nor Mac OS X bombard the user with ugly/meaningless text. With every release of Ubuntu, I see stuff like this on my screen when restarting (the alignment is all over the screen):

* Modem-manager[1062] <info> caught signal 15...
                                                     * Stopping crypto disks...
                                                                       * Casper is resyncing snapshots and caching reboot files...
                                                                 * umount: /run/lock: not mounted...

Why can't Ubuntu's startup/shutdown hide text unless some key is pressed? If it must display text, why can't it try to align it correctly? Red Hat / CentOS left-align their startup/shutdown output. Even Ubuntu Server (non graphical) will have text left-aligned on startup/shutdown.

When I boot a system installed via Wubi, I get text that says something like "try hd(0,0) ntfs5 error prefix is not set."

I found this when Googling it:

quote:

The message is actually normal:
"Try (hd0,0)": diagnostic message issued by the tool used to boot wubi.
"error 'prefix' not set": a diagnostic from grub that shouldn't be issued - but it has been since 11.04 was released on all wubi installs. Not indicative of any problem.

Not indicative of any problem? Why the hell does the system flash the text ERROR on startup then? How about just saying saying "ERROR: NO ERROR"? Or better yet, don't put anything there unless there's actually an error.

I know some people may quickly reply with "so what? it's just text" - but that is part of the reason most people don't want Linux on the Desktop. It's the little things that the developers skip over that make it look sloppy. Why wasn't it fixed in the 12.04 beta? Why wasn't it fixed in 11.10? Or 11.04? Or 10.10? Or 10.04?

Thankfully, I know it's not just me bothered something that seems so trivial to fix.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/14482/any-way-to-clean-up-the-look-of-the-shutdown-logout-restart-process

I mean, if a group of people backed by a big company can build an entire OPERATING SYSTEM, design an interface, and add a Cloud service to it, why can't they seem to hide text?

I see that there is an "Idea" page where others want the loving text to go away:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25373/
I agree with the submitter. This sort of thing is unprofessional. It's like spending years on a project, but never bother learning to fix spelling or grammar errors.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

text on shutdown screen

For me this happens intermittently, so I've always wondered exactly what's triggering it. It's nice when my system is crashing though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Question for ShadowHawk (or anyone else who might know): why were screensavers completely removed from Unity? I'd always thought it was really weird that the guy in charge of gnome-screensaver absolutely refused to let you access any settings, but removing the entire thing seems even stranger.

I know it's pretty straightforward to put in xscreensaver and get back your bouncing cow, but I can't figure out why it isn't there in the first place. Is it part of the process to get Ubuntu ready for tablets?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Welp. I've just done all the recommended things that have been mentioned in this thread (dist-upgrade, nvidia-current etc), and this machine is just as hosed as it was before.

1) No apps or control panels in dashboard. (Including terminal)

2) No power or volume buttons in top right (not a display resolution issue)

3) Random crashes to the login screen, which loses anything I'm working on

I'm on the verge of shoving all my files on to my portable HDD and wiping this machine clean, and putting something else on it. Thoughts?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Powered Descent posted:

Question for ShadowHawk (or anyone else who might know): why were screensavers completely removed from Unity? I'd always thought it was really weird that the guy in charge of gnome-screensaver absolutely refused to let you access any settings, but removing the entire thing seems even stranger.

I know it's pretty straightforward to put in xscreensaver and get back your bouncing cow, but I can't figure out why it isn't there in the first place. Is it part of the process to get Ubuntu ready for tablets?
I don't actually know here, but I have a few intuitions:

1) Not much of a use case anymore -- just show the desktop until you're ready to lock the screen (ie, what used to happen if the screensaver was on for a long time).
2) Supporting the unified login screen (and thusly locked screen) gets complicated if you have another program running in front of it. There were a few cases where bad screensavers were preventing the screen from locking at all.
3) Unmaintained/uncooperative upstream (eg that bug report)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

Something I've noticed with Ubuntu is that it never has a "clean" startup or shutdown screen.

Ubuntu Desktop has a graphical startup and shutdown, but before the graphical startup, some text quickly flashes by. Are we supposed to note what it is (for diagnostics)? Before the graphical shutdown splash is displayed, a ton of text that has random alignment is splashed all over the screen. What is the point?
It would help to explain what's going on here: the Linux kernel is hard-coded to spit-out all these messages (even in normal functional cases), and Ubuntu had to write a program (called plymoth) to try and hide them. The issues are cosmetic only (unless you can't boot at all)

quote:

Messed up line breaks, non-functional word-wrap, confusing (and unnecessary) output, etc. This has been in every release of Ubuntu Linux.
Well, not every release. 10.04 had pretty much no bootup messages for anyone. Since then things have regressed a bit, but unfortunately not on the plymouth developer's machine. As I understand it was given Canonical engineering time again for 12.04, but it looks like not every case was hit.

quote:

Why can't Ubuntu's startup/shutdown hide text unless some key is pressed? If it must display text, why can't it try to align it correctly? Red Hat / CentOS left-align their startup/shutdown output. Even Ubuntu Server (non graphical) will have text left-aligned on startup/shutdown.
It's all the same bug really -- plymouth receives a message it wasn't expecting, and since it might be important it outputs it. Since the last characters it output were in the middle of the screen, it dumps on top of that.

quote:

Not indicative of any problem? Why the hell does the system flash the text ERROR on startup then? How about just saying saying "ERROR: NO ERROR"? Or better yet, don't put anything there unless there's actually an error.
Yes, you're exactly right. It's just a bug.

quote:

I know some people may quickly reply with "so what? it's just text" - but that is part of the reason most people don't want Linux on the Desktop. It's the little things that the developers skip over that make it look sloppy. Why wasn't it fixed in the 12.04 beta? Why wasn't it fixed in 11.10? Or 11.04? Or 10.10? Or 10.04?

Thankfully, I know it's not just me bothered something that seems so trivial to fix.
It's surprisingly not easy, I think, as it involves a rather deep understanding of the boot process and kernel messages.

quote:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14482/any-way-to-clean-up-the-look-of-the-shutdown-logout-restart-process

I mean, if a group of people backed by a big company can build an entire OPERATING SYSTEM, design an interface, and add a Cloud service to it, why can't they seem to hide text?
You'd be surprised how small Canonical really is. About 100 engineers, 20 QA staff, and some support staff. We (Ubuntu, not Canonical) are really dependent on people like me, the Ubuntu community, and all the upstream projects. A company like Apple or Microsoft can easily have that much full-time staff on a single component.

quote:

I see that there is an "Idea" page where others want the loving text to go away:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25373/
I agree with the submitter. This sort of thing is unprofessional. It's like spending years on a project, but never bother learning to fix spelling or grammar errors.
Yeah, it's a small bug, but one that affects a lot of people, so that makes it relatively more important than perhaps larger bugs that affect a few people.

Anyway, I'm gonna poke someone at the developer summit next week about it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

Which would mean 75%, or 3/4 majority could run 64-bit :confused:
How low would the percentage of 32bit need to be??
It's not a majority rules situation here because the negative consequences of running 32-on-64 are far less dramatic than attempting to run 64-on-32. In the former case you get a slightly slower system for someone who wasn't sophisticated enough to know they even had a 64-bit processor. In the latter case you get a coaster that won't boot at all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Heid the Ball posted:

Welp. I've just done all the recommended things that have been mentioned in this thread (dist-upgrade, nvidia-current etc), and this machine is just as hosed as it was before.

1) No apps or control panels in dashboard. (Including terminal)

2) No power or volume buttons in top right (not a display resolution issue)

3) Random crashes to the login screen, which loses anything I'm working on

I'm on the verge of shoving all my files on to my portable HDD and wiping this machine clean, and putting something else on it. Thoughts?
If you make a new user account, does it work ok?

If Yes, then you've got some seriously screwed user config somewhere in your home folder (which would then go to the new install if you copied your whole home folder as usual). If the new naked user account works I'd suggest moving your hidden files into that one on a case-by-case basis (eg copying .firefox will be fine, but copying .config might replicate the problem)

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

ShadowHawk posted:

If you make a new user account, does it work ok?

If Yes, then you've got some seriously screwed user config somewhere in your home folder (which would then go to the new install if you copied your whole home folder as usual). If the new naked user account works I'd suggest moving your hidden files into that one on a case-by-case basis (eg copying .firefox will be fine, but copying .config might replicate the problem)

I'm switching to Mint. I have decided. Backed up all my files and away we goooooooooo.....

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Heid the Ball posted:

I'm switching to Mint. I have decided. Backed up all my files and away we goooooooooo.....

I lied.

Just put a fresh install of 12.04 in, easier to create a boot cd. Working perfectly now.

Sigh.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Heid the Ball posted:

I lied.

Just put a fresh install of 12.04 in, easier to create a boot cd. Working perfectly now.

Sigh.

I wasn't sure why you were gonna go to mint after a bad upgrade, rather than just do a fresh reinstall... glad it's working though!
hah, welp, nevermind!

angrytech fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 1, 2012

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

angrytech posted:

I wasn't sure why you were gonna go to mint after a bad upgrade, rather than just do a fresh reinstall... glad it's working though!

Well, that lasted a long time. Now getting same error reports and random crashes. gently caress THAT NOISE.

Mint here we come.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's quite likely you have a brewing hardware problem. Optical drive, hard drive, memory, something is not right.

Mint is based on the same core as Ubuntu, so if you end up with the same or similar problems, it's time to do some testing/replacing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's quite likely you have a brewing hardware problem. Optical drive, hard drive, memory, something is not right.

Mint is based on the same core as Ubuntu, so if you end up with the same or similar problems, it's time to do some testing/replacing.

My money would be on a driver

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Xenomorph posted:

Boot rant

Originally hiding the boot messages was handled by usplash but with the development of KMS a replacement/reworking was necessary. Redhat guys code up plymouth (with some really snazzy demos) while canonical decides that it'll do it's own thing with xsplash so they can start the X server faster. Turns out maintaining your own boot splash thing is not something canonical wanted to devote manpower towards so after a single release they switch over to redhat's plymouth. Any current bugs in plymouth's on ubuntu is probably due to a lack of kernel/plymouth hacker time.

Powered Descent posted:

Screensavers were removed from gnome3 and canonical doesn't have the engineering capacity to fit that back in. This explains a lot about their gnome3 transition really.

Heid the Ball posted:

Well, that lasted a long time. Now getting same error reports and random crashes. gently caress THAT NOISE.

Mint here we come.

Mint is just ubuntu with a different package on top so you'll want to avoid 12.04s kernel/x server stack in mint.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

I stopped trying to upgrade Ubuntu 4 years ago, new release means fresh install and adding my NAS to fstab.

One question I did have, is there any way to get Ctrl+Alt+F2, kill x and drop to terminal, back? I've had a few fullscreen games freeze on me and I couldn't get back.

Also ShadowHawk, can you get this wine bug fixed already?:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20395

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Bob Morales posted:

My money would be on a driver

I concur. Will look into it.

So frustrating.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shazzner posted:

I stopped trying to upgrade Ubuntu 4 years ago, new release means fresh install and adding my NAS to fstab.

One question I did have, is there any way to get Ctrl+Alt+F2, kill x and drop to terminal, back? I've had a few fullscreen games freeze on me and I couldn't get back.

Also ShadowHawk, can you get this wine bug fixed already?:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20395

The Ctrl+Alt+Fx keyboard commands still work. If you crash and those stop working then try sysreq magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I'm not sure how ShadowHawk is going to help you fix that wine bug unless he's also a wine contributer.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ShadowHawk posted:

It's not a majority rules situation here because the negative consequences of running 32-on-64 are far less dramatic than attempting to run 64-on-32. In the former case you get a slightly slower system for someone who wasn't sophisticated enough to know they even had a 64-bit processor. In the latter case you get a coaster that won't boot at all.

Makes sense, so 64-bit will never be the recommended version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Makes sense, so 64-bit will never be the recommended version.

Wasn't stuff still compiled for 386 (and not say, 686) up until just recently?

And if you tell gcc to shoot for 686 or whatever, is it just optimized for 686 or does it use features the 386 didn't have any therefore is incompatible?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't stuff still compiled for 386 (and not say, 686) up until just recently?

And if you tell gcc to shoot for 686 or whatever, is it just optimized for 686 or does it use features the 386 didn't have any therefore is incompatible?
That last one.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Longinus00 posted:

The Ctrl+Alt+Fx keyboard commands still work. If you crash and those stop working then try sysreq magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I'm not sure how ShadowHawk is going to help you fix that wine bug unless he's also a wine contributer.

He is.

Also, when you drop to terminal you can just stop/restart the display manager. # service gdm restart or whatever it is in ubuntu.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I upgraded to 12.04 and now I keep getting this error:
code:
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libgnome-control-center1_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to install (supposed) new info file `/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/shlibs': Is a directory
when doing anything with apt-get. If I manually try to unpack the .deb with dpkg, I get the same. I removed and let apt redownload the .deb, same thing.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

taqueso posted:

I upgraded to 12.04 and now I keep getting this error:
code:
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libgnome-control-center1_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to install (supposed) new info file `/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/shlibs': Is a directory
when doing anything with apt-get. If I manually try to unpack the .deb with dpkg, I get the same. I removed and let apt redownload the .deb, same thing.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

Try removing it all again then doing a fsck from a recovery console.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nimrod posted:

Try removing it all again then doing a fsck from a recovery console.

What do you mean by removing it all again? Removing the deb?

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

taqueso posted:

What do you mean by removing it all again? Removing the deb?

Yeah i'm assuming you've tried purging whatever package is giving you issues, the important part is the fsck though.

EDIT: I had pretty much the same error once before, and I think it has something to do with an old inode not being cleared correctly or some such. fsck fixed it for me.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I think you have a filesystem problem. Reboot into recovery mode (hold down shift on boot to get the boot menu) and choose fsck from the recovery menu.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Longinus00 posted:

My god I never knew about this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?

It's ok I suppose, there is a windows version and the mac version of the client coming out and it works good on my phone. I only use it instead of dropbox because I get 5gb free instead of dropbox's 2gb.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm just trying out SpiderOak and it looks great so far. Join the goon referral chain here (and try not to have horrendously bad timing like I did and fork the chain): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

Once you're signed up, put in the promo code worldbackupday to increase your storage to 5 gigs, and get another gig when the next goon uses your referral code (which you can generate here).

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I upgraded my 3.5-year-old Dell laptop to 12.04 last night from 11.10. It went swimmingly and everything seems to be working perfectly. Just thought I'd add a success story to help balance out the bad experiences others have had.

Edit: This makes... I think... 6 consecutive, successful upgrades on this system. From 9.04 - 12.04.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nimrod posted:

Yeah i'm assuming you've tried purging whatever package is giving you issues, the important part is the fsck though.

EDIT: I had pretty much the same error once before, and I think it has something to do with an old inode not being cleared correctly or some such. fsck fixed it for me.

Did the fsck, now I get
code:
E: Internal Error, No file name for libssl1.0.0
when I try to do anything with apt. :cry: Tried purging libssl, updating, etc. but no change.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I love it, can't recommend it enough. It's awesome for syncing my assignments across my computers and the music store is cheaper than or the same price as the ITMS for pretty much everything.
Plus being able to sync any file/folder on your system is pretty rockin too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Powered Descent posted:

I'm just trying out SpiderOak and it looks great so far. Join the goon referral chain here (and try not to have horrendously bad timing like I did and fork the chain): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

Once you're signed up, put in the promo code worldbackupday to increase your storage to 5 gigs, and get another gig when the next goon uses your referral code (which you can generate here).

Thanks for this! I'm in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've been using 12.04 for a few days now. Coming from the non-Unity gnome.
Here's what I'm used to (and I mentioned this at the tail end of the other thread):
- new chats are indicated by a red number on the tray icon
- new messages in existing chats highlight red the window object in the taskbar

Pidgin:
- new messages blink the tray icon

Here's what I have now:
- no tray icons, so Pidgin has no visual alerts whatsoever
- Skype will blue-colorize its #window indicator to the left of its icon on the left sidebar for new messages for existing chats. But it's tiny and gives me way less info than before

I want to stick this new UI out, but is this really the design they were going after? Has everyone else using Pidgin just lived with this? Or am I missing basic notification applets?
I see one in the Software Center -- Notification Daemon, but every review says it doesn't work.

• Locked thread