Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Torrents:
Ubuntu
32-bit: http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
64-bit: http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent <--- Probably what you want

Lubuntu
32-bit: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/12.04/release/lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
64-bit: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/12.04/release/lubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

Kubuntu
32-bit: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/12.04/release/kubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
64-bit: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/12.04/release/kubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

Xubuntu
32-bit: http://torrent.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/precise/release/desktop/xubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
64-bit: http://torrent.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/precise/release/desktop/xubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent
[/quote]
So what will I first notice?

This is a pretty good interactive demo of what a default install looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77rLrMtqyM

Ubuntu is different. In general the interface is designed to minimize "stuff" that's not the application content like window borders, panels, and so on. Maximized windows have their controls moved into the top panel, for instance, along with a global menu. The scroll bars are similarly very thin, with a drag tool that comes into view when you mouse near them. On my netbook Ubuntu/Firefox was showing literally twice the web page content as the default Windows/IE.

There is also a well thought-out series of indicator menus in the upper right. They start monochrome, and light up when something wants your attention. They're designed to be easy to ignore if you're working on something important.

Unlike proprietary OSes, we are free to modify the majority of applications our users use to take advantage - music players will put controls in the audio menu, IM clients in the messaging menu, and so on. This contrasts with the Windows experience where every application puts it's own little icon in the system tray (so many, in fact, that Windows now autohides most of them). If you install such a Windows app with Wine, however, its indicator will be right next to the rest.

Technical Support:

I highly recommend AskUbuntu.com, the new Ubuntu Stack Exchange site. This is generally a way better place than traditional forums, mailing lists, and so on for asking questions. Especially highly complicated and interesting questions. You can even log in with your facebook account if you like.

You can also try this thread, of course.

Oh my god completely different UI I will not stand for this:

This is the second release to use the Unity UI by default. It's much better than the last one, give it a try for a day or so before giving up. If you're sure it's not right for you, you have a few options. You can install gnome-session-fallback, select "Ubuntu Classic" at the login screen, and get something similar to older Ubuntus. You can also try installing the other Ubuntu flavors (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc) and select them at the login screen in the same way.

OK, I've got Ubuntu, now what?

Use the Software Center. It's one of the icons on the launcher by default. Install whatever you like. Use the computer to do what you do with computers. Setup your facebook/twitter "broadcast accounts" in the menu in the corner and start talking about how cool you are.

You can also buy some proprietary applications in software center now. If you're so inclined, you can also buy music too.

Also, make sure you install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package by clicking this link. If you ticked the special box at install time you should already have it. This includes useful stuff like mp3 codecs that we can't for legal reasons bundle on the CD. Blame the US patent system. To install just flash, click this magical link inside Ubuntu.

What are these other -buntus?

The Ubuntu project is actually a class of operating systems all sharing the same software archive and core system components. Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, and all the others are literally the same operating system with a different set of default packages installed. If you aren't happy with your desktop environment, you could install lubuntu-desktop onto a stock Ubuntu system and switch which one you use at the login screen.

What if I don't like an OS that changes every 6 months?

If you're already happy with Ubuntu, or have it safely installed on your grandmother's computer and she's happy, you should probably stick to the LTS (long term support) releases. This release will be supported (security and important updates) for five years on both the desktop and server. If you install 12.04 fresh, by default it will only prompt for a release upgrade to 14.04, in two years. Every few months there will be a 12.04.x point release, which is just the standard updates delivered through update-manager put onto a new CD image.

Upgrading from older Ubuntus:

You can choose from:

1) Use update manager from inside 11.10 or 10.04 (releases in between will have to step through the non-LTSes one at a time).
2) Putting in a CD and telling it to upgrade
3) Booting a CD/USB image and create a fresh install on top of your old one, making sure to tell the installer to preserve your home directory
4) Opening a terminal and typing sudo do-release-upgrade

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Marlboro Lover posted:

OK, I registered just to comment on this release. I just installed it on my HP Envy 17 with an Intel Core i7-2630QM with 6gb of ram, and it is kinda weird.

For the first 15-30 minutes, everything runs kinda sluggishly, but then everything starts working at a decent speed (for example, up until just a few seconds ago loading websites on firefox took 2-3 minutes, and typing things into this text box caused a delay of 1-2 seconds from when I would hit a key and the text would actually show up).
Is there disk thrashing going on?

There are a few automated tasks that might be happening right after startup, particularly initial startup (like polling for updates), so it may help to figure out what's going on.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

I've got 10.04 LTS running on my Linode. Looking at the instructions for upgrading to 12.04 LTS, why do they recommend you wait until the first point release? Just so bugs can get ironed out?
Basically, yeah. We try to get as wide a test pattern as we can with the betas and so on, but most server people won't upgrade (or even install a new machine) until the release. So if it's a working fine, in-place server you may want to wait a bit before updating; conversely if you're deploying a new server you might as well try 12.04 now since the consequences of running into an issue are a bit lower.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

The only real difference there is the default desktop environment, so you'll get pretty much the same assortment of installed programs. The intent with Ubuntu (and its various sub-versions) is to give you a relatively complete system right out of the box, so you don't have to go chase down a media player or office suite or whatever.
Calling Ubuntu bloated is a very strange concept these days -- the default install still fits on a 700 meg CD.

But maybe what actually bothers you is that there's a good chunk of apps you don't use cluttering up the space. They're mostly buried inside the Dash search these days -- apps you actually use you can put on the dock (and remove the ones from the dock you don't use) -- that way you won't see stuff like system settings until you really want to go looking for it.

Plus, you can just uninstall packages like LibreOffice, that works as you'd expect in Ubuntu.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Heid the Ball posted:

Installed Pangolin on friday night. Now I have the following issues:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.
Either X or Gnome is crashing

quote:

2) No power button in top right. (hard button still brings up shut down dialog)

3) No volume button in top right.
This sounds like the display resolution might be wrong as those are on the edge of the screen.

quote:

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.
This sounds more serious, like one of the system daemons is hosed (d-bus maybe)

quote:

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

6) Video played through the video player is blue tinted.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

Otherwise 12.04 has been just PEACHY.
It sounds like one particular thing like an incomplete driver package installation could have done something here.

You can try alt+f2 (within Gnome) to launch gterm. First steps I'd try is apt-get update and apt-get -f install. You can also boot into single user mode.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Heid the Ball posted:

Yup

I'm not entirely sure whether I've done it or not. Without ready access to Terminal its making me jump through hoops. I'm sure I just used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the shell five minutes ago, try it now and its dead-screening me. This thing keeps cutting my hands off every time I try to fix it. Run command from the dash does not work. HELP.
Wait, how did you update to 12.04?

If it involved the apt-get upgrade command something probably broke for good reason. apt-get upgrade will not remove/add packages as dependencies change with newer versions (this is most likely how you end up without various metapackages). apt-get dist-upgrade does the more reasonable thing (and if you're following a beta or similar you should be using it anyway).

If you did apt-get upgrade after a non-real upgrade (eg manual changing the entries in sources.list rather than running update manager) then things would be pretty broken.

do-release-upgrade is your friend.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

babies havin rabies posted:

With Ubuntu out of the box, you should be OK. I don't believe that SSH even comes pre-installed. Assuming you have a home router, I doubt you already have port 22 forwarded.
No open ports by default is a long-standing ubuntu policy

quote:

Of course, if you install an ssh server or any outward-facing server, make sure you use a very secure password (or disable password auth). Romanian botnets love spamming port 22.
You can also install the denyhosts package to get 3 remote login tries before a 10 minute ban or so.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CapnBry posted:

I figured it out!

I was still running an old theme, which I had switched to when Shuttleworth said "Let's put all the buttons on the left!". I switched my Unity 2D theme (System Settings -> Appearance -> Theme) to the default and now new windows start to the right of the launcher bar. Oddly they now all stack up one titlebar-height on top of each other until I move one then one launches on the right side then go back to starting at the top of the screen.
One little gotcha about GTK themes is that they can actually do a lot more than Windows themes - they can run arbitrary code. So themes can and do exist that do all manner of strange things (and that code can break in unexpected environments such as, say, switching to Unity).

quote:

Also after a year now I've just realized the "Recently launched" app list doesn't contain an app if that app was last launched from recently launched and is still running. Want two terminal windows? Sorry, you can only launch one from the recent launch, then type Terminal to get a second instance. My head swims to ponder the requirements document for this. I imagine a use case with a user actor with a lot of question marks over its head.
If it's already running then it's in the dock and you can get another instance by right clicking its dock icon and picking the menu option

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

sass menagerie posted:

I'm thinking of finally dual-booting this release, rather than playing around with it in Virtualbox. The one thing I'm wondering before I go ahead with it is why 32-bit is still the recommended version. Is it mainly to prevent the technically inexperienced from downloading something that might not work with their architecture, or are there still major compatibility issues with 64-bit?
Yes, that's the only reason. Running 32-bit on 64-bit apps works pretty drat perfectly now that we have multiarch*

*compiling them yourself is a little more involved, but I've only heard Wine developers complain about that since Wine is the only app I can think of that needs to be built for two arches simultaneously on the same machine

Mak0rz posted:

That's odd, I thought they planned to change the recommended version to 64-bit upon this release. I didn't really notice if they did or not because I needed 32-bit anyway.
We strongly considered it but changed our minds at the last minute when it was discovered a full 25% of our hardware survey respondents had machines not even capable of 64-bit.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

babies havin rabies posted:

I heard that as well, still shows 32-bit for me on a 32 or 64 system. 12.10 maybe?
My honest guess is that at some point we'll just switch to a bi-arch DVD as the recommended.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

Question for ShadowHawk (or anyone else who might know): why were screensavers completely removed from Unity? I'd always thought it was really weird that the guy in charge of gnome-screensaver absolutely refused to let you access any settings, but removing the entire thing seems even stranger.

I know it's pretty straightforward to put in xscreensaver and get back your bouncing cow, but I can't figure out why it isn't there in the first place. Is it part of the process to get Ubuntu ready for tablets?
I don't actually know here, but I have a few intuitions:

1) Not much of a use case anymore -- just show the desktop until you're ready to lock the screen (ie, what used to happen if the screensaver was on for a long time).
2) Supporting the unified login screen (and thusly locked screen) gets complicated if you have another program running in front of it. There were a few cases where bad screensavers were preventing the screen from locking at all.
3) Unmaintained/uncooperative upstream (eg that bug report)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

Something I've noticed with Ubuntu is that it never has a "clean" startup or shutdown screen.

Ubuntu Desktop has a graphical startup and shutdown, but before the graphical startup, some text quickly flashes by. Are we supposed to note what it is (for diagnostics)? Before the graphical shutdown splash is displayed, a ton of text that has random alignment is splashed all over the screen. What is the point?
It would help to explain what's going on here: the Linux kernel is hard-coded to spit-out all these messages (even in normal functional cases), and Ubuntu had to write a program (called plymoth) to try and hide them. The issues are cosmetic only (unless you can't boot at all)

quote:

Messed up line breaks, non-functional word-wrap, confusing (and unnecessary) output, etc. This has been in every release of Ubuntu Linux.
Well, not every release. 10.04 had pretty much no bootup messages for anyone. Since then things have regressed a bit, but unfortunately not on the plymouth developer's machine. As I understand it was given Canonical engineering time again for 12.04, but it looks like not every case was hit.

quote:

Why can't Ubuntu's startup/shutdown hide text unless some key is pressed? If it must display text, why can't it try to align it correctly? Red Hat / CentOS left-align their startup/shutdown output. Even Ubuntu Server (non graphical) will have text left-aligned on startup/shutdown.
It's all the same bug really -- plymouth receives a message it wasn't expecting, and since it might be important it outputs it. Since the last characters it output were in the middle of the screen, it dumps on top of that.

quote:

Not indicative of any problem? Why the hell does the system flash the text ERROR on startup then? How about just saying saying "ERROR: NO ERROR"? Or better yet, don't put anything there unless there's actually an error.
Yes, you're exactly right. It's just a bug.

quote:

I know some people may quickly reply with "so what? it's just text" - but that is part of the reason most people don't want Linux on the Desktop. It's the little things that the developers skip over that make it look sloppy. Why wasn't it fixed in the 12.04 beta? Why wasn't it fixed in 11.10? Or 11.04? Or 10.10? Or 10.04?

Thankfully, I know it's not just me bothered something that seems so trivial to fix.
It's surprisingly not easy, I think, as it involves a rather deep understanding of the boot process and kernel messages.

quote:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14482/any-way-to-clean-up-the-look-of-the-shutdown-logout-restart-process

I mean, if a group of people backed by a big company can build an entire OPERATING SYSTEM, design an interface, and add a Cloud service to it, why can't they seem to hide text?
You'd be surprised how small Canonical really is. About 100 engineers, 20 QA staff, and some support staff. We (Ubuntu, not Canonical) are really dependent on people like me, the Ubuntu community, and all the upstream projects. A company like Apple or Microsoft can easily have that much full-time staff on a single component.

quote:

I see that there is an "Idea" page where others want the loving text to go away:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25373/
I agree with the submitter. This sort of thing is unprofessional. It's like spending years on a project, but never bother learning to fix spelling or grammar errors.
Yeah, it's a small bug, but one that affects a lot of people, so that makes it relatively more important than perhaps larger bugs that affect a few people.

Anyway, I'm gonna poke someone at the developer summit next week about it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

Which would mean 75%, or 3/4 majority could run 64-bit :confused:
How low would the percentage of 32bit need to be??
It's not a majority rules situation here because the negative consequences of running 32-on-64 are far less dramatic than attempting to run 64-on-32. In the former case you get a slightly slower system for someone who wasn't sophisticated enough to know they even had a 64-bit processor. In the latter case you get a coaster that won't boot at all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Heid the Ball posted:

Welp. I've just done all the recommended things that have been mentioned in this thread (dist-upgrade, nvidia-current etc), and this machine is just as hosed as it was before.

1) No apps or control panels in dashboard. (Including terminal)

2) No power or volume buttons in top right (not a display resolution issue)

3) Random crashes to the login screen, which loses anything I'm working on

I'm on the verge of shoving all my files on to my portable HDD and wiping this machine clean, and putting something else on it. Thoughts?
If you make a new user account, does it work ok?

If Yes, then you've got some seriously screwed user config somewhere in your home folder (which would then go to the new install if you copied your whole home folder as usual). If the new naked user account works I'd suggest moving your hidden files into that one on a case-by-case basis (eg copying .firefox will be fine, but copying .config might replicate the problem)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't stuff still compiled for 386 (and not say, 686) up until just recently?

If by "recent" you mean like 5 releases ago, then yeah

quote:

And if you tell gcc to shoot for 686 or whatever, is it just optimized for 686 or does it use features the 386 didn't have any therefore is incompatible?
As I understand it the compiler will create different code-paths that the processor can opt into at runtime depending on what features are available. The advantage of disabling support for super-old processors like 386 is that you save a bit of disk space in the built binaries as you don't have to even build the super-old compatible path.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Kaluza-Klein posted:

He is.

Also, when you drop to terminal you can just stop/restart the display manager. # service gdm restart or whatever it is in ubuntu.
Yes and no. I have a few patches in Wine but I'm not really a C hacker.

That said I do have the power to put specific patches directly into the Ubuntu packages, such as one I have that uses various Ubuntu-default fonts as substitutes for the MS ones when they're not available.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?
I don't know what it's current status is, but Ubuntu One's cloud storage had a rather bad history of being thrust into the default install about a year before it was ready. It failed at utterly basic usage in those cases (eg taking forever to sync files), and I became a Dropbox user since.

I can say that the days of such Canonical meddling going unquestioned are probably over. Were I in the community position I am now when Ubuntu One was first released, it probably wouldn't have actually made it into the distro.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

Here's what I have now:
- no tray icons, so Pidgin has no visual alerts whatsoever
Do you not have the messaging indicator? That's basically the main way pidgin (and Skype, I think) were supposed to subtly tell you what's up.

On a default Ubuntu install it would be the little letter icon in the upper right turning blue.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Infinotize posted:

Following up what I posted in the other short-lived 12.04 thread, after trying 12 at home for 'fun' on a VM... I think I'm going to become a Mint convert. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.06 on my machine at work and have been at 10.10 since 11 came out (and the upgrade hosed my box). I think that's the end of the line for me :(

Not here just to trash Ubuntu, I've really liked it, but that is my experience with the newer versions.
If you're not running Unity full screen, it's going to be very awkward. So a VM may bias you a bit in that way.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Shazzner posted:

You know what to do then. :)

The reason I mention that bug is because it makes Deus ex: HR not work and I can't even manually patch and compile wine because of this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine1.4/+bug/944321

You could patch Wine if you were savvy enough...

...(no one but me is at the moment, so I'm working on a howto)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Infinotize posted:

A little smaller than full screen, but still around 1440x900. I think my bias is that I'm an old grouch when it comes to UIs :)

What I mean is it's important to be able to throw the mouse to the left and top edges of the screen to actually get the purpose of the dock/global menu

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Destroyenator posted:

I just got the update message from USC about the 12.04 upgrade, and in the details list part of the 1.3GB (!?!?!) upgrade is that banshee is no longer supported.
1.3 GB should hardly surprise you for replacing every package on the system if you've installed a moderate amount of software, it's basically two CDs worth.

quote:

What is with Ubuntu constantly changing core apps and repackaging the same functionality instead of actually improving or fixing things?
Part of the support process is determining which apps we are going to support in the default install for 5 years. Rhythmbox/Banshee in particular are important since they're in the default install, depended on by the ubuntu music store, and actually used frequently.

I wasn't part of the discussions about the default music player over the past couple cycles, but I do remember from the developer summits that they were discussed quite a lot. The decisions come down to things most people probably don't think about -- things like accessibility support (an essential feature that most people don't ever use), upstream's willingness to support the release (if they don't we have to, for five years). These are the kinds of things a release manager for a Linux distro has to worry about.

quote:

For example, Microsoft wireless mice have a weird issue where the scroll speed is half a page per click and there isn't anything in the mouse settings dialog to alter it. A bit of googling show this is a common issue and the current accepted solution is to unplug and replug your mouse every time you boot. And this is an issue a few years old for a significant number of users.
Yup, particular pieces of third-party hardware having bad drivers are a frequent problem. And if you keep using that hardware, from your perspective Ubuntu will always look sorta broken. But it's not like we don't care about finding these particular cases (and solutions to them): we've built an entire "Ubuntu-Friendly" hardware survey tool/database exactly to find this sort of low-hanging fruit that can be fixed (or at least to help users avoid buying things like a laptop that comes with a wireless card from a vendor who doesn't care if it works or not)

quote:

But the only upgrade we seem to see in ubuntu are switching apps around willy nilly and playing with the UI. F-Spot photo manager was replaced by Shotwell an upgrade or two ago with less features and no clean library upgrade, Rythmbox was replaced by Banshee and now is going back to Rythmbox. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it but changing fashions in the gnome community about asinine stuff like what language the apps are implemented in that the user doesn't see or care about.
The small UI updates and default apps are probably the most noticeable change, but this LTS release really was about software quality. Software quality is a hard thing to notice, except when it isn't there -- it basically comes down to saying "well, fewer bugs were created, and many were fixed" which is a largely meaningless thing to say to users unless you know the particular bugs they were experiencing directly.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

angrytech posted:

Holy poo poo did you actually post this while you were in that meeting?:golfclap:
Yeah, were you listening to me on the mic by chance? :D

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Slopehead posted:

\/\/\/ The PC is currently running 11.10, friend. That's why it's bugging about updates. I'll be bringing it up to speed relatively soon :)
Once you upgrade to 12.04 you can change this to only bother you about LTS updates by ticking the box in the update manager settings.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

angrytech posted:

Yeah I was. I caught that joke about WINE at the end that some dude made to you. ;)
That might have been a videotaped session too, with me right in front of the camera posting.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Longinus00 posted:

Those are all streams. I was wondering if there are recorded versions so I can watch sessions later on in the day.
I think the recordings go up later (at least the video ones do, not 100% sure about the audio icecasts)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Lysidas posted:

It seems that the software repositories for development versions of Ubuntu aren't always internally consistent (which makes perfect sense), so you may get unlucky with some updates that will obviously break your system. "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = "wait a few days and try to aptitude full-upgrade again".
Relatedly the plan to fix this in the Quantal cycle is to use the -proposed repository as a staging area even during the development release. This is what you get if you tick the box for enable proposed/experimental updates in update manager's settings, and in the past only meant you got proposed stable release updates before they had been tested enough.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BrainWeasel posted:

Tried going up to 12.04 yesterday, and some of the UI elements don't seem to have installed properly. None of my windows have title bars on them, for instance. Is there an easy way to make Ubuntu reinstall its own core packages, even if it thinks they're not broken?
If you have the ubuntu-desktop package installed, this is likely a user config thing instead of a package thing. Try the guest account briefly and see if the problem is replicated there.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Jago posted:

So there's a fantastic bug in 12.04 that affects laptops. The Fn+F1 shortcut on Dell computers no longer functions properly. There's a patch, but I have no idea how to use the patch command. The patch is something that can be applied to an install right, it's not for the source code?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/950160

Is it wrong to ask for help on this kind of thing here?
The way to apply a patch is actually quite involved -- you have to get the package source, apply the patch to that, rebuild the package, and then install the resulting binary packages.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Starker44 posted:

Let me start by saying that I have an ASUS Eee PC 1015px with Intel Atom CPU N570.

I'm looking for any input regarding ubuntu distro's for the Eee PC. I tried Puppy (loved it) was having issues with getting it to boot from the HD instead of the USB. So I was looking at Ubuntu 12.04 and saw that in 11.04 they merged the UNE with the desktop version, so I installed 12.04 on my netbook but now its really laggy and slow. I found this Linux distro list and saw that Eeebuntu has turned into Aurora OS. I can't seem to find and iso's or torrents for Eeebuntu 3.0 nbr or EB 4.0 Beta. All the mirrors or links take you to the https://auroraos.org website and the links there seem to be broken. Does anyone else have an Eee PC and what distro are you using? Or does anyone have any previous experience with a distro that would be great on an Atom CPU.
Lubuntu seems to be the preferred lightweight Ubuntu flavor these days.

I used stock Ubuntu on my Eee up until January, though I did get a bit bothered by responsiveness.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

Nope. Developing on Linux is great, I miss when id used to be somewhat expedient about it. It's not really so much Canonical's fault as much as it is the reality of package-based software, I guess. I don't want to go back to the days of "download source and compile" certainly, but the way they're distributing it isn't the most even handed?
For what it's worth, just about every package in the Ubuntu App Store (and "extras") repositories are just those "download and dump into a folder" archives extracted into the /opt folder. Proper packaging with distro-specific paths and so on is only for stuff in the supported archive.

quote:

I don't quite know how to express myself, except to say go on a Debian forum and suggest somebody use a Launchpad PPA for practically anything and watch the "DON'T USE UBUNTU BINARIES YOU WILL DIE IN DEPENDENCY HELL AND VIRGINS WILL BE SACRIFICED" reaction. This is especially common in Wine, where people use the WineHQ PPA intended for Ubuntu to get unstable versions (though since Sid now keeps this up to date, you can pin to that and it's less of a problem).
This this is basically the long term consequences of Debian not solving this problem for users nearly as well as Ubuntu has. I know I personally stopped trying to make my packages Debian-compatible when Debian libraries (and multiarch) started falling very far behind, and Debian-policy meanwhile started mandating nonsensical package-splitting.

quote:

Another example is a lot of quality community-built software distribute via a Launchpad PPA that asks you if you're using anything between Karmic and Quixotic but doesn't consider anything else. I just use those repos anyway, because what are the odds a simple Twitter client or what have you will have a dependency breakdown?
Launchpad did want to support Debian as a build-target for PPAs at one point, but it still hasn't been implemented yet.

quote:

If Steam came in, and eventually supports multiple distros, and allows people to buy and download and auto-update games, which are usually among the most complicated software, without having to mess about with repositories and dependencies and whatnot? That'd be great.
Yeah no argument here. I do wonder how it will work with Wine also on the system though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Honestly when we're talking about games that are multiple gigabytes then worrying about duplication of libraries that are tens of megabytes is probably not particularly important.

There are other arguments for shared libraries, of course -- such as common updates and security and the like -- but many of them don't quite apply to a single trusted piece of software being installed in a user folder anyway (which I'm pretty sure steam will).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

Silly Ubuntu vs. Mint question. On a fresh install, some fonts in Firefox are a strange-looking narrow thing, especially noticeable here on SA:

But installing the MS fonts as part of ubuntu-restricted-extras always fixed that and made it look normal:

At least, on Ubuntu it always did. But I'm trying out Mint, and installing that package doesn't fix it -- the font is still that narrow one. All other settings are just the Firefox defaults. I don't know a drat thing about fonts; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well, I can point you away from Mint and towards Ubuntu ;) -- this is a good example of a probable side effect from the Minty changes (they go beyond just switching the desktop default and installing some additional packages)

More productively, do you have the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package installed? That's the one that actually grabs the MS fonts.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Elemennop posted:

Hey I tried to update my system from 11.04 to 11.10 and then 12.04 using the update manager. However during some point in that second step there was some issue, and it froze. Upon rebooting, the grub gnu shows only 5 options. "Ubuntu, with linux 3.0.0-24 generic" being the first, ten recovery mode, then previous linux versions, and finally memtests. When I try the first, it goes to the command line with an error of "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ling.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found". Filesystems can't be mounted, and whenever I try to do something it says read only. I've tried recovery mode as well. Any ideas?
Put in a 12.04 cd and do the reinstall (while preserving home directory) option. If the glibc package didn't get configured right then things just plain aren't gonna work.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Elemennop posted:

I figured, thanks. I copied my old home folder to an external harddrive, can I just dump it into my new home folder without issue?

Pretty much. Make the user have the same name and rename the default userfolder it gives you before said dumping

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Crayvex posted:

Stupid question time, I'm running 12.04 right now. How do I update to 12.04.1? I ran all the updates and lsb shows:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Am I already upgraded? Hurr... I am sorry if I am stupid. I'm coming from SUSE.
Ubuntu doesn't pool updates into explicit downloadable "service packs"; they're simply released by update manager as they become available. All the point releases are is a reminting of the CDs* (which is especially useful to capture install-critical fixes, such as the above mentioned Broadcom bug)

*also cloud images

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zom Aur posted:

Wine can be finicky too, depending on distro of choice.

How would you say Wine in Ubuntu compares?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ManSedan posted:

So after messing around with it at work, I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my old netbook, mainly so I can mess around with it for fun. Unfortunately this netbook is slow as dogshit, does anyone know of any neat things can I do with it to optimize performance and make it a little more useable?
Lubuntu and Xubuntu (LXDE and XFCE, respectively) are the goto "I'm using a slow netbook" flavors of Ubuntu these days.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Longinus00 posted:

If you had installed 1.3 as a package you wouldn't have this issue. If you're going to directly install from source then just uninstall the package and install the dependencies manually.

In general I don't really see the point in updating server releases unless you absolutely need some features offered in new versions of software (and the application doesn't offer prepackaged debs or you're too lazy to roll your own) or the release is nearing its end of life.

It usually pays to read the release notes.
At least, in the case where you've done something other than install/uninstall distribution packages. Those upgrades usually go just fine.

When you start modifying config files, installing things from source, or manually moving files in folders other than /home, then things might get weird and conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

madsushi posted:

Which is something that happens quite commonly, believe it or not. My post was a reminder: "If you built nginx from source to mess around with SPDY, it might not work after you update to 12.10." I appreciate the information on how it "should" be done; I was offering advice on how I've actually seen it done.
What you "should" have done is not build from source at all but instead use the packages in the nginx team's Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx

The 1.3 branch is currently in their development PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx/+archive/development

code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/development

• Locked thread