Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Heid the Ball posted:

Upgrade. Can't believe how ganked it is.

That's seriously hosed up. Something definitely didn't go right. Did/do you have a bunch of PPAs for system-level stuff set up?

does apt-get -f install show anything to fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's quite likely you have a brewing hardware problem. Optical drive, hard drive, memory, something is not right.

Mint is based on the same core as Ubuntu, so if you end up with the same or similar problems, it's time to do some testing/replacing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

Heads up for Xubuntu users: Uninstalling Mail Reader through the Software Center will now uninstall your xfce4 package as well. :woop:

Ridiculous dependencies for the... win?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I just think someone had their head way up their rear end when they put that together. In no way should the mail reader be so critically linked to the desktop.

I know dynamic linking and shared libraries are great things to have, but I wonder if things tend to take it too far.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

The default mail client in xubuntu is thunderbird so there's no library sharing going on. What actually happened is thus: xubuntu-desktop metapacakge recommends thunderbird, removing thunderbird makes USC think that xubuntu-desktop should also be removed because you just broke a recommends and since xubuntu-desktop is being removed all its dependencies which aren't required elsewhere will also be flagged for removal. Can you break a recommends dependency without removing the higher level package? Yes! (although I have no idea of how to do that in USC)

Ugh... Somehow that makes it worse in my mind.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The programming aspect of Linux is something that gets lost on people that don't know it's history.

Linus created Linux as a way to explore the inner workings of the 80386 processor, which is pretty drat cool.

Additionally, the entire kernel is written in C. Not C++, C. Which is pretty awesome, too.

I use Linux a lot as a secondary for work stuff (generally within a VirtualBox VM), since 90% of my job (AIX Administration) is tied into Office (Outlook) and Remedy (ticketing).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

downout posted:

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 about four weeks ago. At first the Nvidia drivers were working fine, and then I started getting screen freezes about every 15 minutes requiring a hard restart. That eventually lead to the pc restarting and freezing to a black screen after the grep menu. After that I reinstalled 12.04, but I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to function again. I reinstalled them, but when I restart the computer after loading Ubuntu from grep the screen went black. For some reason the fans would wind up to maximum speed and just hang like that indefinitely.

I have a 9600 GT card that is supported by the drivers. I've done just about everything I can imagine to get it working with no luck. It worked with bumblebee, but I didn't seem to be getting the performance I expected from my graphics card. So after that I tried the nvidia drivers again. I finally got it to the point where they worked but only with one resolution (800x600) available. I looked around for some solutions to the problem without much luck, so I've finally just settled on using the nouveau drivers. They work, but I'm getting weird 3D graphics issues such as shading on games appearing white when it should be dark or black. So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on where to start to fix some of these problems or get the nvidia drivers working? I've fully backed up my files on a spare hard drive, so I don't mind doing a full reinstall. I'd just like to see if I can figure out what the problem was before I start changing drivers around again.

Your issues sound a lot like a failing GPU.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

downout posted:

Yeah, this is a really old card, so I was considering this. Does anyone know of a way to test if it's failing? I considered Phoronix but wasn't sure if it would tell me anything useful.

You could load up a Win7 trial with the official nVidia drivers and see if you get similar behavior.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

french lies posted:

I decided to give Ubuntu a try after a six-year hiatus, and I'm already starting to regret the decision. My problem, specifically, is that installs and updates either freeze or take a shameful amount of time to complete considering the power of my system and that Ubuntu is running off a SSD. Last night the update manager started to hang while configuring the kernel and it was still there when I woke up this morning. Typically, any action involving the software center or update manager will move at a glacial pace and stay in the same state for a great amount of time before eventually responding or forcing me to enter the system monitor and kill it.

Is this normal, or is there anything I'm missing that might improve the performance in this respect?

Something is broken on your system and it's not Ubuntu itself. You may have a hardware driver that the installer can't handle properly, or any number of things that can cause problems.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Because screensavers were for CRT's to stop burn in and you really don't need a screensaver anymore?

They actually served dual purposes when they were created.

CRTs suffer from burn-in if you leave a static image, but they also take time to warm up.

A screen saver kept the tube warm while not burning in the screen.

They're irrelevant now except to look pretty because LCD/LED screens wake up almost instantly and don't have the same burn-in issues (they can still 'burn in' but not the same way and if someone responds with "But it's not burn-in because no phosphors!" I'll loving kill them with their own beard).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

I've been trying to find info on this, and all I've seen is that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comes with Samba 4.0, not 4.1.

Kind of answering your own question?

They should be feature-frozen at this point, so I would imagine what you see in the beta spins is what will be in the final product.

At worst, it's only a month 'til release, but you should still hear well before then what is going to be in the final gold spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

12.04 relevant question:

Is there a hard-coded limit for the amount of RAM I can give a crash kernel at boot?

The default is (documented to be) broken, as the system can't kill enough processes to fit in 128MB. I was able to work up through 256MB, then 384MB, but if I do 512MB it fails to load the crash kernel at all.

I can work with 384, it's just slower than I'd like. More of an academic question at this point. So far /r/ubuntu hasn't had a response for me.

• Locked thread