Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to make windows like Terminal, "Home Folder", and System Monitor not start with their top left coordinate = 0,0? Whenever I launch terminal or a nautilus window it collapses the... taskbar (? the thing with the start menu, all the running apps, etc) even if there isn't another application on the entire desktop. It gets annoying to have to drag every window so the bar pops back out and is usable.

For posterity: After my upgrade the first autologin worked great but then I rebooted and I couldn't log in any more. The greeter would take my password the screen would turn black for a couple seconds and I'd be back at the greeter. Turns out I didn't have the ubuntu-desktop meta package installed, so I installed it over ssh, which brought a handful of other packages and fixed the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

Is there some way to make windows like Terminal, "Home Folder", and System Monitor not start with their top left coordinate = 0,0? Whenever I launch terminal or a nautilus window it collapses the... taskbar (? the thing with the start menu, all the running apps, etc) even if there isn't another application on the entire desktop.
I figured it out!

I was still running an old theme, which I had switched to when Shuttleworth said "Let's put all the buttons on the left!". I switched my Unity 2D theme (System Settings -> Appearance -> Theme) to the default and now new windows start to the right of the launcher bar. Oddly they now all stack up one titlebar-height on top of each other until I move one then one launches on the right side then go back to starting at the top of the screen.

Also after a year now I've just realized the "Recently launched" app list doesn't contain an app if that app was last launched from recently launched and is still running. Want two terminal windows? Sorry, you can only launch one from the recent launch, then type Terminal to get a second instance. My head swims to ponder the requirements document for this. I imagine a use case with a user actor with a lot of question marks over its head.

• Locked thread