Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I've got 10.04 LTS running on my Linode. Looking at the instructions for upgrading to 12.04 LTS, why do they recommend you wait until the first point release? Just so bugs can get ironed out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

ShadowHawk posted:

Basically, yeah. We try to get as wide a test pattern as we can with the betas and so on, but most server people won't upgrade (or even install a new machine) until the release. So if it's a working fine, in-place server you may want to wait a bit before updating; conversely if you're deploying a new server you might as well try 12.04 now since the consequences of running into an issue are a bit lower.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks sir!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I've got a question. I'm SSHing into a linux box (running 12.04) using KiTTY (a PuTTY fork). I use tmux, and I can't for the life of me get ls to output colors (either in or out of tmux). I'm using the Solarized Dark color scheme.

My .bash_profile contains the following:

code:
export CLICOLOR=1
export GREP_OPTIONS="--color=auto"
export TERM="xterm-256color"
My .tmux.conf contains the following:

code:
set -g default-terminal "screen-256color"
Now, when I login and echo $TERM, I see xterm-256color as expected. And when I tput colors, I see 256 as expected. However, when I echo $TERM from within tmux, I still see xterm-256color and not the expected screen-256color. It's like tmux isn't even reading .tmux.conf. I even tried removing the export TERM line in .bash_profile, but then echo $TERM from within tmux outputs screen, and it's only outputting 8 colors instead of 256. What's up with that?

Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be seeing the different colors when I ls? I was hoping it was a color issue (before explicitly setting TERM, tput colors was 8). vim properly shows colors, but I don't know why ls won't.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 8, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

'ls --color' is normally aliased to 'ls' but if you've been mucking around in your bash.profile, maybe you accidentally took it out?

hifi posted:

I don't know what $CLICOLOR is, but check what $LS_COLORS is. In my shell config I check for $TMUX and then set the terminal to screen-256color and then also eval dircolors -b. Also it looks like setting default-terminal will only affect new windows, so that might be an incorrect way of setting $TERM.

Thanks guys. I restored the default .bashrc, and I also had to go under Connection -> Data in the KiTTY/PuTTY options and change "terminal-type string" from xterm to xterm-256color. Now I'm at least getting the correct terminals. Also, it seems like tmux doesn't automatically read .tmux.conf. I had to do tmux source-file ~/.tmux.conf for tmux to read the conf file.

However, I'm still not seeing colors. $LS_COLORS is correctly set, and dircolors -b correctly returns the colors it's set at. I was correctly seeing colors at my work computer, so I'm thinking it's gotta be a KiTTY configuration issue.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Haha, look at this:

So yeah, ls is aliased correctly. And I actually see grep colors. So why the hell aren't I seeing ls colors? This is bizarre. It's gotta be a client-side configuration thing.

[edit]
Got it! In the KiTTY options, I had to select "bold font only" under "displaying of bolded text" under window -> colors. Thanks for everyone's help.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread