Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Installed Pangolin on friday night. Now I have the following issues:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.

2) No power button in top right. (hard button still brings up shut down dialog)

3) No volume button in top right.

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

6) Video played through the video player is blue tinted.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

Otherwise 12.04 has been just PEACHY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Mark Kidd posted:

Can you can use the run dialog to execute gksudo apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop?

It would appear not. I can get to the shell from the boot menu, will try it from there and come back to you.

^^^ 2 above

Upgrade. Can't believe how ganked it is.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's seriously hosed up. Something definitely didn't go right. Did/do you have a bunch of PPAs for system-level stuff set up?

does apt-get -f install show anything to fix?

Just run apt-get update which did some stuff. No improvement.

Libatk-adaptor-schemas 2.4.0-1ubuntu2 seems to be causing the problem now.

Any ideas?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Mark Kidd posted:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but after you ran apt-get update did you also run apt-get upgrade?

Yup

Mark Kidd posted:

How about just installing the ubuntu-desktop package?

I ran into some issues myself updating from Xubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 that may have been related to metapackages, but I was eventually able to push through the trouble with apt-get over ssh. Wish I could say for sure that is the same kind of issue you're running into, but it may not be related.

I'm not entirely sure whether I've done it or not. Without ready access to Terminal its making me jump through hoops. I'm sure I just used CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the shell five minutes ago, try it now and its dead-screening me. This thing keeps cutting my hands off every time I try to fix it. Run command from the dash does not work. HELP.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Welp. I've just done all the recommended things that have been mentioned in this thread (dist-upgrade, nvidia-current etc), and this machine is just as hosed as it was before.

1) No apps or control panels in dashboard. (Including terminal)

2) No power or volume buttons in top right (not a display resolution issue)

3) Random crashes to the login screen, which loses anything I'm working on

I'm on the verge of shoving all my files on to my portable HDD and wiping this machine clean, and putting something else on it. Thoughts?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

ShadowHawk posted:

If you make a new user account, does it work ok?

If Yes, then you've got some seriously screwed user config somewhere in your home folder (which would then go to the new install if you copied your whole home folder as usual). If the new naked user account works I'd suggest moving your hidden files into that one on a case-by-case basis (eg copying .firefox will be fine, but copying .config might replicate the problem)

I'm switching to Mint. I have decided. Backed up all my files and away we goooooooooo.....

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Heid the Ball posted:

I'm switching to Mint. I have decided. Backed up all my files and away we goooooooooo.....

I lied.

Just put a fresh install of 12.04 in, easier to create a boot cd. Working perfectly now.

Sigh.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

angrytech posted:

I wasn't sure why you were gonna go to mint after a bad upgrade, rather than just do a fresh reinstall... glad it's working though!

Well, that lasted a long time. Now getting same error reports and random crashes. gently caress THAT NOISE.

Mint here we come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Bob Morales posted:

My money would be on a driver

I concur. Will look into it.

So frustrating.

• Locked thread