Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The Third Man posted:

So I'm teaching myself how to use linux using Ubuntu, and I was just browsing through the free and open thread in GBS when this was posted regarding linux:

Is this something to really worry about? Are there any settings I should adjust in order to protect myself?

With Ubuntu out of the box, you should be OK. I don't believe that SSH even comes pre-installed. Assuming you have a home router, I doubt you already have port 22 forwarded.

I'm just a dabbler at Linux and will admit I don't yet know the finer points of security, but I'm not really sure what Jailbrekr's concern is or if it applies to Ubuntu desktop use. Maybe he doesn't want anybody running off and setting up some unsecured web server.

Of course, if you install an ssh server or any outward-facing server, make sure you use a very secure password (or disable password auth). Romanian botnets love spamming port 22.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

That's odd, I thought they planned to change the recommended version to 64-bit upon this release. I didn't really notice if they did or not because I needed 32-bit anyway.

I heard that as well, still shows 32-bit for me on a 32 or 64 system. 12.10 maybe?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

piss explosion posted:

Does anyone know if wireless drivers would have been improved in 12.04? Last night I hosed around for like 2 hours trying to get the broadcom-sta driver to work with the broadcom 4313 network adapter on my laptop but gave up after a while. This was still on Kubuntu 11.04, so not sure whether upgrading will do anything.

I have a 4312bg in my laptop, and it works splendidly in Xubuntu 12.04. I've never had any problems since 10.04, however.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Heads up for Xubuntu users: Uninstalling Mail Reader through the Software Center will now uninstall your xfce4 package as well. :woop:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ridiculous dependencies for the... win?

It was an easily corrected but puzzling event for me. At least it breaks my bad habit of never bothering to read dependencies for anything in the USC.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I like xrdp.

Edit: My knowledge of NTFS in Linux only extends as far as "it will work".

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I use Cinnamon as my primary environment in Xubuntu 12.04, and I haven't had any issues with it.

• Locked thread