Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So there's an independently-made series of toys called OMFGs (Outlandish Mini-Figure Guys) that are meant to be a spiritual successor to older toys like M.U.S.C.L.E. and Monsters in my Pocket.

I just got the first series at Comic-Con and am very impressed by them, and the second series looks to be just as good, if not better.

Series 1:

Series 2:

Here's the link to the Kickstarter, $10 will get you the basic pink series 2, $15 will get you exclusive Kickstarter black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really like the idea behind Moon Intern

larrypixel posted:

Moon Intern is a serialized side-scrolling action RPG set on a Moon Colony played almost like a comic book with each day acting like a single issue or a single episode. Our game is light hearted with a lot of love, action and adventure starring you, the backers! Navigate between the various areas of the Moon Colony as you preform odd jobs and random tasks in order to pay your rent (you're an intern after all).

It will be curious to see if they can pay off the serialized / different-gameplay-based-on-your-performance thing, plus tell an interesting story at the same time. Plus, some variety in the reward tiers. Somebody has already ponied up the cash to make their likeness into the Moon President...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

So there's an independently-made series of toys called OMFGs (Outlandish Mini-Figure Guys) that are meant to be a spiritual successor to older toys like M.U.S.C.L.E. and Monsters in my Pocket.

I just got the first series at Comic-Con and am very impressed by them, and the second series looks to be just as good, if not better.

Series 1:

Series 2:

Man, those look awesome. I definitely see the resemblance to MUSCLE, but those things look far more detailed than those figures. Especially that one guy made of skulls and crab guy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Rack n Ruin

Rack n Ruin is a multi platform action adventure game. Just judging from the prototype in the video, the gameplay looks passable, if unpolished at the moment. Depending on how the different abilities are utilized, it could turn out to be quite good.

What has me intrigued, though, is the fact that they have Brian Clevinger (the writer of Atomic Robo) writing the script.

The Kickstarter video posted:

Rack, a little devil, has a tendency to destroy worlds instead of enslaving them for his masters.
Just given the scenario, I can see a lot of potential for Clevinger's wit, and I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iambigbird/i-am-big-bird

I AM BIG BIRD

This is looking to be an awesome documentary about Caroll Spinney. This guy has been Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch since 1969. It is about two thirds funded with nine days to go. I'd really love to see this get funded. There are multiple videos posted on the page now and they are well worth watching if you don't have coal where your heart should be.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man
I got to play the next game from Dice Hate Me Games called The Great Heartland Hauling Co. It's a card based pick up and deliver game, plays 2 to 4, and takes about 30 minutes to play. I really liked it and if you like board games or card games, you should give this one a look: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/the-great-heartland-hauling-co-a-card-game-for-2-4

I also did a review of the game on my blog: http://geek-craft.com/wordpress/?p=430

If there's an issue posting my review, please let me know and I'll remove it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iambigbird/i-am-big-bird

I AM BIG BIRD

This is looking to be an awesome documentary about Caroll Spinney. This guy has been Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch since 1969. It is about two thirds funded with nine days to go. I'd really love to see this get funded. There are multiple videos posted on the page now and they are well worth watching if you don't have coal where your heart should be.
Fully funded now, and still going with six days left. Seriously, if you back any Kickstarter projects at all and haven't thrown a couple of dollars at these guys, you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

OrangeKing posted:

I have a Kickstarter project that I launched about a day and a half ago. It's a book titled So Bad, It's Good, and it's all about the joy of watching enjoyably bad movies. The book profiles dozens of the "best" bad movies from a variety of time periods and genres.

There are a number of reward levels available, and the funding is off to a good start...but I've still got a ways to go in order to get to my goal. Check it out of the topic interests you - thanks!

I have to ask: Why didn't you pitch this to a traditional publisher? As it is you'll play hell getting it the kind of publicity it should have. I'm also not sure if you've got anywhere near enough money to secure the rights to things like photographs and stills. $600 for an editor is on the low side for a project like this.

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF
I am really into collecting dice for use in different RPGS and this project stood out to me.Spherical D14 and D18 - the missing even-sided Game Dice

For the obsessive dice collector who wants all the even dice between 4 and 20.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Volgarr the Viking is only 8 days from completion but isn't even halfway to its first stretch goal, which adds a second set of harder levels.

Throw some money in! This looks pretty good!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Unexploded Cow
Cheapass Games is trying to make a comeback, so they have a Kickstarter up for a deluxe edition of Unexploded Cow.

Cheapass Games posted:

Europe. Summer. 1997. You and your so-called "friends" have discovered two problems with a common solution: mad cows in England, and unexploded bombs in France. In Unexploded Cow, you will round up mad cows, march them through the French countryside, and make a buck blowing them up.

Most of the cheaper tiers that allow you to name a cow are gone, but this could be fun.

Planetary Annihilation
Uber Entertainment has some of the team that made Total Annihilation and other games. They want to bring you the "spiritual successor" Planetary Annihilation

Uber Entertainment posted:

We all know that the RTS genre has taken a hit. There just aren’t that many quality original RTS games coming out. If you love to play games like Total Annihilation your options are pretty limited. This is where Planetary Annihilation comes in. It is meant to be a truly innovative spin on what RTS games can and should be.

They're promising a "planetary spin" on the RTS game, and the pitch video includes building a rocket to launch your commander to the moon, building seed vehicles on the moon to spawn asteroid bases, and turning those new asteroid bases into kinetic weapons. Plus, they have the original narrator from Total Annihilation doing the pitch video, I would recognize that bombastic voice anywhere even before he introduced himself.

This is way more promising than the disappointment that was Supreme Commander 2. (Though I did like Forged Alliance...)

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
I've been spending a lot of time on kickstarter lately. I'm considering putting one together- until that happens:

Cool stuff that's already backed and/or mentioned in the thread:

Public Lab DIY Spectrometry Kit
A build your own, buy one of ours or convert your cell phone to a spectrometer. Really cool, really nerdy idea. I want this even though I can think of absolutely zero practical uses I would have for it.

Space Elevator Science - Climb to the Sky - A Tethered Tower
Fund some robots climbing 2k into the sky. The thing I like about this is the optimism in the project. It's a little heart warming to watch the video, the guys restrained but you can tell he's passionate.

Grin - The Unauthorized Biography of a Cheshire Cat
by Adam Danielski

I'm a sucker for everything Alice in Wonderland. Even fan fiction.

Stuff that hasn't been mentioned/needs backers:

Bike Luminance: Lighting and turn signals that will be seen!
Turning and stop indicator lights in a bike helmet that react depending on the tilt of your head. Pretty sweet, but, they also make you a blinking target if drivers are trying to hit you. I can finally find out if that is the case.

Hotel Noir
A movie! It's done! It's in black and white! It's an old-timey detective story! They need money for distribution. It also has all these actors I've never heard of: Carla Gugino, Danny DeVito, Rosario Dawson, Rufus Sewell, Malin Akerman, Robert Forster, Mandy Moore and Kevin Connolly.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

brick cow posted:

Hotel Noir
A movie! It's done! It's in black and white! It's an old-timey detective story! They need money for distribution. It also has all these actors I've never heard of: Carla Gugino, Danny DeVito, Rosario Dawson, Rufus Sewell, Malin Akerman, Robert Forster, Mandy Moore and Kevin Connolly.

They've met their goal and have posted the first ten minutes of the film on Youtube. My worry is that they're not asking enough for physical rewards compared to many other kickstarters. I hope they're getting enough income/go far enough past their goal that it doesn't matter (as long as they're not losing money on each reward).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

brick cow posted:

Carla Gugino

:allears:

brick cow posted:

Rosario Dawson
:swoon:

brick cow posted:

Malin Akerman

:love:

:gizz:

brick cow posted:

Danny DeVito

:barf:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

What the... who doesn't like Danny DeVito?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What the... who doesn't like Danny DeVito?

Oh, I like the man...but he still deserves his :barf:

It's like he decided that since doing Always Sunny, he should just become a real-life Frank Reynolds. His Twitter feed is mostly pictures of his gross troll-feet.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, I like the man...but he still deserves his :barf:

It's like he decided that since doing Always Sunny, he should just become a real-life Frank Reynolds. His Twitter feed is mostly pictures of his gross troll-feet.

I get the impression he was always crazy and weird, and thus he was perfect for the show and now has an excuse to fling it around.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Except Danny DeVito is :arghfist::stonk::fh:

I'm really looking forward to this film. The ten minute preview was great, not as dark as I expected but really funny. Mandy Moore is... it's been emotisized already.

I'm also looking forward to the day I marry Malin Akerman but that will probably happen after this premiers.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
This kickstarter is for a friend of mine that's written an adult themed kids book about the early life of Death. It is cute and for $15 you get a copy of the 60 page book which is perfect for SASS or any of your gift giving needs!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1527595693/death-is-good-adventures-of-the-not-so-grim-reaper

For example;

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm seriously hoping that this one makes it to completion. It's a project by a musician trying to get funds together for the first album since the breakup of his former band called Voxtrot, who I freaking loved. He's only got four days left, though :(

For reference, here's some Voxtrot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJLwt78kQo

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Sep 26, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Stealing from the OUYA thread in Games as well as the bad kickstarter thread

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Yeh, I threw in my money for this. I'm kind of pissed they're charging an extra $12 for shipping in the US, that seems excessive. I still really like the idea of a portable, chargable Bluetooth controller with a ton of buttons.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Saint Darwin posted:

Stealing from the OUYA thread in Games as well as the bad kickstarter thread

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Yeh, I threw in my money for this. I'm kind of pissed they're charging an extra $12 for shipping in the US, that seems excessive. I still really like the idea of a portable, chargable Bluetooth controller with a ton of buttons.

Oh hey look it's almost the same hardware as my pandora. I wonder if it will work equally as bad.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

They're the same people as the ones behind the OpenPandora, so...

That said, most people I've talked to really liked the Pandora's hardware.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

senrath posted:

They're the same people as the ones behind the OpenPandora, so...

That said, most people I've talked to really liked the Pandora's hardware.

Oh, trust me, I know that, I was around on the OpenPandora forums for 3 years while the banks, the chinese factories, and paypal kept miraculously loving craigix over one after the other :allears:

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crescenttheater/keep-the-crescent

This is what finally drove me to use Kickstarter. It's my favorite theater to go to, an intimately small 99 seater in downtown Mobile. The staff are all great and wonderful. I've had so many great experiences here just kicking back with friends, talking movies or music or stuff around Mobile, and drinking beers.

A few people have asked why I donated, and this is just some awesome stuff I've seen at this theater:

Drank with a group of strangers to Hobo with a Shotgun, whereon we cheered at every horrible pun, one liner, and gory death

Saw the owner let two people in to see a movie for free because they thought another film was playing (I think they wanted to see The Girlfriend experience but that Anvil documentary was on) and said if they didn't like the film they wouldn't have to pay at the end, but if they felt it was worth the admission they could pay.

The owner let me in for free once when I first started going there because his credit card machine was down and none of my friends had any extra cash on them. He said I could just pay the next time.

Me and my friend decided to go see his showing of the Nightmare Before Christmas last December but she was late arriving and texted me to let me know she was parking and coming in, I asked if he could give her 20 extra seconds before the movie starts and he graciously, and without any resentment, said that was fine and he let her pay after the movie so she could get a seat beside me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205300753/evil-intent

Found out about this recently because I love quirky boardgames. I worry that the steep price is scaring people off though, I hope it funds.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It looks pretty cool, but $55 for a boardgame? Is he out of his loving mind?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ultrafilter posted:

That's not out of line for some of your higher-end boardgames. Like serious European boardgames.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ultrafilter posted:

You realize there are a TON of board games that cost $50+, right? There are even a lot that run more like $70, especially if they have lots of components, molded parts, or other expensive stuff. Heck, a lot of board game Kickstarters are $55, like these (all of which were/are funded):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872179144/lost-valley?ref=live

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/ground-floor-a-business-building-board-game?ref=live

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/zombicide?ref=live (this one was $75)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

ultrafilter posted:

Based on what it looks like, $55 might be on the cheap end for that kind of thing.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
That game looks really cool, I love crazy spy themed games. I'll have to get a copy of it when I have more financial flexibility.

And yeah, $55 is pretty decent compared to some. It's a pretty good average price for a less mainstream board game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I stand corrected.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Production I.G. just started a Kickstarter for a 10 minute animated film directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who directed Mind Game.

Funding the hell out of this one, Yuasa is really good and deserves the work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Robot Boat Mark VI.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

jonjonaug posted:

Production I.G. just started a Kickstarter
Whenever real companies make Kickstarter projects like this, that when I start to think Kickstarter is actually revolutionizing something.

quote:

Masaaki Yuasa
:swoon: I haven't seen a Masaaki Yuasa-directed thing I didn't like, and I've seen all of them. (Edit: Well, almost; he's directed a couple of obscure things.)

quote:

Funding the hell out of this one
-

Robots are cool too.

dirby has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Oct 1, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Judge Dredd table top miniature game!
They got Judges, Dark Judges, Citi-Def, the Angel Gang, Fatties, I am going to do so much miniature table top gaming.

jonjonaug posted:

Production I.G. just started a Kickstarter for a 10 minute animated film directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who directed Mind Game.

Funding the hell out of this one, Yuasa is really good and deserves the work.
Anyone who doesn't support this hates art. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

They got Judges, Dark Judges, Citi-Def, the Angel Gang, Fatties, I am going to do so much miniature table top gaming.

Goddamn, just watch them chew through all those stretch goals!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
My friend is making a gay guide to Paris, the advocate just ran a story on it:

http://www.advocate.com/travel/2012/10/02/kickstarter-campaign-guide-gay-paree

I did the video for him too, he is having a hard time finding work and he used to travel a lot and is looking to get back into it. This could really help him out and the book is a lot of fun to read, he does a great job presenting the history and culture of Paris for everyone.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/605418478/lgbt-paris-a-gay-and-lesbian-guide-to-the-city-of-0

Also holy crap, getting in on that Dredd table top game.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

boom boom boom posted:

Anyone who doesn't support this hates art. :colbert:

Uhh, I'm having trouble reading this one, what is a good pledge point to get a bunch of cool stuff to start playing? I went for $60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AxeManiac posted:

Uhh, I'm having trouble reading this one, what is a good pledge point to get a bunch of cool stuff to start playing? I went for $60

I have no idea, this is the first table top miniature role playing game I've ever been interested in. I would assume so because two forces makes sense for playing a two player game? That's the one I went for.
When they add stuff to the reward levels they update the pictures but not the actual reward level descriptions, which is a bit confusing.

boom boom boom has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Oct 3, 2012

• Locked thread