Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
We have a thread in GBS for horrible ones, and that's great and all, but there are actually some really cool projects that (might) not take the money and run. Here's a few I have contributed to

Ogre Designer's Edition: Most anyone who has played board or card games has heard of Steve Jackson. Munchkin? Zombie Dice? Illuminati? This guy and his company. Ogre was his first game in 1977 and they're reissuing it. It's always sounded great but I've never been able to get ahold of a copy. He's awesome and updates and has seen out a couple in the last week with surveys, such as a survey about which card layout the donors prefer. I'd be surprised if he steals the money because it's a well-known company.

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android: It's an e-ink watch with Bluetooth that pulls data from an Android or iPhone device. You load apps onto the thing via an installed app on the device (the SDK is available already) and apparently any data an Android app can reference, this can as well. It's water resistant, has a backlight, and has a 3 axis accelerometer as well as 4 buttons, so I'm looking forward to banging out some music controlling app where I can wave my arm around and change what's playing. The only things missing is a touchscreen and (full color) video playback, but this will be a great little toy. The company producing it already produces a higher-end version so I probably won't lose my money here.

edit: Mother loving icon argh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

They're 7,224% funded. "psyduck:
I'm unfamiliar with the way these things work, do they often exceed their funding goal by such hilariously high margins?

Not always, but there are very notable examples of this happening recently. The Wikipedia entry has a chart on projects that finished and went far over the original amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter

quote:

Also I started a kickstarter so we can buy a new icon for this thread:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271450/saint-darwins-shitpost-thread

Please give generously, goons.
I hate love you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cuntrageous posted:

The kickstarter is for their tech demo, not the actual park.

Yes, it's for a mini version showing what they want to do and how they want to do it. It's going to require far, far more funding than this to actually do. Plus I don't think they want to take money until the city finally says "yes go do this thing," because who knows how far off that is.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cross_ posted:

Estimated battery life: 7 days.

Bluetooth murders batteries like no other. As people have said, just charge it when charging your phone. Hell, I have a small solar charger I can just whip out anywhere and charge it up fast.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hm, $35 for it. Maybe. That's an awful lot for a card game.

Do you think you could bother your older brother and tell him that it looks like there's enough room to spell out the words? Those abbreviations hurt my head.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

kazmeyer posted:

Just an update on this one; they're at $600,000, and if they reach $700,000 (five days left) he's promising to do a Car Wars kickstarter as well.

I am shocked how quickly this is building. Up to $630k!

I went for $150 level because it gives a copy of the game and an utter ton of other stuff. This will be a blast, I can't wait to start playing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

InShaneee posted:

I've seen this discussed all over, but this is a huge joke. They're going to do a Car Wars Kickstarter whether they get to $700k or not, so taking money for it seems awfully disingenuous (especially since, if you think about it, you're just giving SJG money for the privilege of being able to give them more money later).

:cripes:

Kickstarter is a donation site. You donate money to ideas and causes, you don't prepurchase a product. The site acting like it exists as a means of preordering products is apparently ruining the attitude towards projects on the site.

"Pfft why would I want to donate, I don't even get a t-shirt"

The OGRE kickstarter and the Pebble kickstarter are by and far excellent because they keep piling more and more features in, but if they do anything but cram a new feature into the product at a donation level, people are flipping out. It's basically gravy that they decide to add these extras at donation levels, and they're added as an incentive for more donations. It's not your right to get more counters in OGRE if people donate more.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 16:09 on May 8, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

chumpchous posted:

Didn't see any mention of this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibdknox/light-table?ref=city

It's an IDE that allows you to run programs in real time and watch how it flows and executes functions. It's difficult to explain, watch the video. It looks like it'll happen too.

I keep thinking about it, because I love the look and functionality, but it doesn't support any language I could possibly use, and I avoid JS like it's AIDS.

I know it will support plugins, but I'd really rather have that functionality from the start.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ogre is winding down! Get in now if you want to be a part of it! Very close to $750k

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition?ref=live

$738,582

25 hours to go

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Volgarr the Viking is only 8 days from completion but isn't even halfway to its first stretch goal, which adds a second set of harder levels.

Throw some money in! This looks pretty good!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, I like the man...but he still deserves his :barf:

It's like he decided that since doing Always Sunny, he should just become a real-life Frank Reynolds. His Twitter feed is mostly pictures of his gross troll-feet.

I get the impression he was always crazy and weird, and thus he was perfect for the show and now has an excuse to fling it around.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Stealing from the OUYA thread in Games as well as the bad kickstarter thread

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Yeh, I threw in my money for this. I'm kind of pissed they're charging an extra $12 for shipping in the US, that seems excessive. I still really like the idea of a portable, chargable Bluetooth controller with a ton of buttons.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Aphasian posted:

How the hell did someone think of "bottle opener in my flip flop!" before this?

There has to be a downside beyond "requires you to rebuy when you move" and "you probably stab yourself right good when you open a bottle." Looking at the sheer number of products which are ALMOST like this makes me think that it was already thought of but has some giant drawback.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

See, I have one of these on my keychain

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01769-Shard-Keychain-Tool/dp/B002ZK45IQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349982329&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+shard

The other functions have been super useful at random times, and it's not exactly breaking the bank. It's not the best bottle opener but it's totally functional.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

I just pledged to this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise/boss-monster-the-dungeon-building-card-game?ref=category

Standalone Dungeon Keeper-esque card game. You build a dungeon and lure heroes and win when you kill a certain number of them. Seems like a quick, fun game.

This looks pretty cool, I'm throwing in to get the expansion as well. It looks like one of those things where the design is all ready to go, they just need funding for the printing, so there should be some feedback soon.

Related to this, my GIRLFRIEND had donated to a game called Evil Baby Orphanage. She got the product less than a month after the Kickstarter ended and while I haven't played it, she said the instructions are bad but once you figure it out it's a really fun game. So, Kickstarter is at least doing card games well even if it's totally loving up video games.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

There goes all my money.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I've seen that site before and I really like their stuff, even if it's more than I'd like to pay.

I am VERY interested in the $10 range, where they will create a Lithograph from any public domain book. Unfortunately the few I would really want aren't public domain as far as I know.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I thought about 100, but since money would probably An Issue at that time, I went down to 60.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

At $150 you can call up cboyardee and ask him for relationship advice, or maybe just give a call if you're up late and lonely.
Is that not worth any overdraft fee?

I mean, it's pretty tempting to be sure. Also the dwarf pillow.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So the creator of Dinosaur Comics is doing a Kickstarter for a choose-your-own-adventure Shakespere book. There's a huge list of artists who are involved including Kate Beaton (which you will notice from the Kickstarter art)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breadpig/to-be-or-not-to-be-that-is-the-adventure/

quote:

WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK AWESOME??

A few things:

IF YOU LIKE SHAKESPEARE:

My friend: it is exactly as awesome as you remember, only now you're playing the main character instead of watching someone else just PRETEND to be him.
Also unlike Shakespeare I didn't skip over the pirate scene in Hamlet. You get to fight PIRATES. With SWORDS. And yes OF COURSE you can choose which body part you cut off. Why would you write a book where you can't do that is my question.
IF YOU HATE SHAKESPEARE BUT STILL HAVE TO READ IT:

YOU WON'T HATE HIM ANYMORE. Honest! This is great literature in what has to be the most accessible, friendly format ever. If you ever struggled with wondering what was going on and what people's motivations were in the play, you will totally understand everything once you play through this book, assuming you make the same choices Shakespeare did when he played it. That doesn't mean this book is written for children. It just means it's easy to understand someone's motivations when you're the one making the decisions!
Hey speaking of that, making the same choices Shakespeare did will be easy as there will be little Yorick skulls beside the "canonical" choices. So if you want to stick to the plot of the play, that's not a problem! It's super easy! But I'll warn you: Shakespeare's choices didn't lead to the best ending for the characters. Not by a long shot.
While the book itself is told in modern language, for each of the big speeches, you have the option to say it in the original beautiful and fancy language, or you can have told in modern language, like with Hamlet rapping it or whatever. IT IS TOTALLY YOUR CALL.
IF YOU LIKE THE POTENTIAL OF READER-DRIVEN NARRATIVE AND HAVE BEEN FRUSTRATED IN THE PAST:

Yep, I hear you. The interactive books of our youth often suffered from arbitrary plotlines and capricious death. This book puts you in a real, consistent world where your choices matter. Also there are ghosts. Also you can play as a ghost. Also you can haunt the planet for generations because GHOSTS DON'T DIE.
WHOAH REALLY??

Yep! In fact, the first choice you make is to choose your character, and each character has their own storyline. Storylines, actually: dozens and dozens of storylines. You can play as Hamlet, his girlfriend Ophelia, and his dad Hamlet Sr, who (SURPRISE) dies on the first page and becomes a ghost. And then we make fun of you for dying on the first page, but you can become a ghost and must INVESTIGATE YOUR OWN MURDER that you TOTALLY SLEPT THROUGH because you got SLEEPY IN AN ORCHARD. (Shakespeare wrote this part, I can't help it.)
Ophelia's adventure is as well-thought-out as Hamlet's, but rather than being a hero suffering from crippling inaction, you are a smart, self-sufficient woman who knows what she wants and is totally rad 100% of the time, and also you are dating a PRINCE. You can choose what you want to do with your life: help your boyfriend who's crying about a spooky ghost, or I don't know TAKE DOWN INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS INSTEAD?? It's nuts. It's awesome. Oh my gosh.
IF YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN HAMLET AT ALL BUT LIKE FUNNY JOKES:

Then I can assure you this book is still totally awesome and chock full of those things you like. You can (AND WILL?) love this book even if you've never had any particular interest in to being or not to being. This is a book written for adults who like only the most awesome of things. That is you. I know it.
I've used the story of Hamlet as a starting point, but a) that's already a great story because it ends with pretty much everyone in it getting stabbed in the body and b) the story can go in all sorts of fun, crazy directions when you make a choice that Shakespeare didn't.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Two things

a) This is actually cool and I'm totally getting one
2) I am now racking my brain to come up with a poster idea that will make me tens of thousands of dollars.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

prahanormal posted:

Urban Air: Los Angeles

The dude wants to buy billboards and put small bamboo forests on them. Interesting, but only has 7 hours to make ~3,000.

It's an interesting idea but the Kickstarter is pretentious as gently caress. Yikes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

prahanormal posted:

It's artsy sure, but I don't see how it's pretentious.*

*keep in mind I haven't watched the video.

"Like any authentic and vital artwork, the greatest risk and challenge UrbanAir faces is to create something that has never before existed – to embrace the unknown and create something from nothing."

oh god just put some goddamn dirt on a billboard and call it a day guys

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I was going to say "so what," but I don't think I've seen a decent charger that does MULTIPLE charges. Very cool.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

xezton posted:

Empire Eden... would you like to play a Contra/Metroid-esque game as a :krad: naked tribal native who channels ancestral animal spirits, spies on naked women bathing in secluded ponds, uses rocket launchers and laser guns, and gets chased by giant robots?

This game is already looking great and the composers they're working with for the music have written some fantastic sounding stuff.

It's the first Kickstarter project I've ever backed, so I figure that counts for something?

Interesting, reminds me of Jill of the Jungle.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

herakles posted:

My friends just started a Kickstarter project for an open-source, Raspberry Pi powered automatic bartending robot, Bartendro.

Having been party to the testing sessions for this magnificent device, I am hopeful for its success, partly because my friends are cool and partly because it's a neat thing.

Very cool. The big self-serve units at bar are literally insane and weigh about 500 lbs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

The Rifftrax crew is raising funds in an attemp to secure the rights to Twilight (or, failing that, something from their "worst movies" poll) for their live show this August. They admit to not knowing what that would actually cost (or if the studio would ever agree to it at any price), but any money they don't end up spending for that purpose will go towards getting a celebrity guest or otherwise enhancing the production values of the show. Plus they're offering some previously unreleased shorts as lower-tier rewards.

drat, they sold out of the $2000 level.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Someone else is working on something similar, except they'll have even higher capacity versions:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560071831/ultra-high-capacity-battery-for-mobile-devices?ref=category

Wow, it's actually quite a bit cheaper as well. I don't know which one to go with.

But the Dark Energy says "Apple iPhone 5 charges 5 times, equal to 4-7 days of use."

The Expedition (biggest pack on the other one) says "will charge your iPad 1.5x and your iPhone 2x on a single charge" but is nearly double the mA

So...I don't know who to believe? I'll be using this for a phone pretty exclusively, I'm also not sure which will work better with a solar charger. The Dark Energy shows specific uses with a panel.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Some of the lower tier rewards are in German I see.

Threw in for the game and book. I had always meant to pick up the book and the game seems pretty cool.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Mar 11, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Do you guys think we should use this thread to comment when we get the Kickstarter projects?

I just got my Pebble. It's pretty neat. There's not a lot of things out for it yet, but I really should just grab the SDK and bang out a few simple apps.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

fondue posted:

I think that's a great idea; I'm a participant in both the Ogre and Traveller kickstarters and am expecting physical rewards from both.
Does it seem 'sturdy' to you? I've read complaints that it wasn't constructed very solid.

The actual watchface is pretty good. The buttons have more travel than I would have imagined but otherwise it's good.

The band is crap, but it's a stock plastic band. It's actually way better than other plastic watch bands I've used but it's still not the best.

I'm probably going to replace it with a NATO band just because.

edit: The only other complaint is that there really does not seem to be a lot of apps and plugins for it yet. I found one that sends all my Android notifications to it, but I've had to turn it off because Spotify sends the same notification 3-4 times in a row during a song, and there seems to be no way to turn off notifications in Spotify (thanks guys)

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Mar 19, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

Unless its what you're already using, I think Lightflow can do something similar (and you can pick and choose which apps' notifications get sent), plus if you have a multi-color LED on your phone it is nice for getting full spectrum notifications on the phone itself.

What color did you get? I saw in the last update they had just started making the red faces, I'm hoping my grey watch isn't going to get here in the fall. :(

That looks alright, I just hate the idea of having to pay for an app, at least at this point.

I got black.

edit: VVVVV Following their progress and an interview they did with a bunch of other Kickstarter projects, the most successful ones seem to be the most screwed for time because they never planned to do a tenth of the reward "preorders" they got, let alone adding in an actual production run to sell later. Even companies which have put out products for decades said "it's literal insanity trying to deal with that many people, that much money, and that much production in the timeframe we estimated."

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Mar 19, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

I can understand and appreciate that, but the Pebble team handled backer communication absolutely terribly. They were hands-down the worst at that out of any project I've backed. I've had other projects delayed by months, but those teams/people were completely open and transparent about what was going on, what the plan for the future was, and when the product would see the light of day; as a result, backers were almost entirely cool with the delays. The Pebble team acted like backers should consider themselves honored to get any information at all. I'm sure the end product is/will be just fine, but I'll be buggered if they're ever seeing another dollar from me.

Really? I thought their communications were pretty good. Pictures of the process, technical info as to exactly which stage of the process they were on. They didn't give a timeline because if they didn't make it they'd probably have thousands of angry emails and comments screeching about what a terrible bunch of people they are.

Given that the Pebble Kickstarter ended around the time some playing cards did (I keep funding those for some reason), and the playing card one sent roughly an update every. single. loving. day. After that I like how Pebble was ~monthly with real information, instead of daily "Hey I talked to a dude today at the factory so this is coming really soon don't worry guys!!" for what was a loving 2 step project.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Mar 20, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

quote:

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Kaiju Combat - Giant Monsters. Awesome Fighting. Online., is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The law requires that we remove the project from public view until the process is complete or the dispute is resolved (please see our Copyright and DMCA Policy for more info). Because the project already ended successfully, your pledge hasn’t been affected. The creator should still be able to move forward with the project (and send any unfulfilled rewards). If you have any questions, though, you can still message the creator from the project page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin?ref=email

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation,
Kickstarter

:iamafag:

Well that's new.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Toffile posted:

It was Wizards of the Coast, apparently.

Wow, they're saying THEIR property was infringed because of the name? This poo poo looks exactly like Yu-Gi-oh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cyberia posted:

I've never backed anything on Kickstarter before but I'm a sucker for dumb cyberpunk trinkets so I've pledged for both of these campaigns:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4pm/grid-20-bicycle-playing-cards

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/albino-dragons-synthesis-playing-cards

If you like weird sci-fi themed trinkets they're worth checking out.

I got the original Grid cards as well as their Mythos design, so word of warning, they will send NON STOP UPDATES. I think I got something insane like 50 from them in total (EDIT: The Mythos cards sent 74 updates, the Grid cards sent 41). They treat the whole process like a super complicated keep-track-of-everything-or-people-will-lose-their-poo poo individually handcrafted and numbered item when all they do is submit the design and money to Bicycle, who does the actual printing.

Just...just disable email notification for that project unless you really really want to get 5 separate updates about the state of the uncut collector's sheets.

edit: The product themselves are nice though, and I'm a sucker for cool playing card packs.

edit2: VVVV Craaap, I wanted the Necronomicon ones. I still say 41 updates for a pack of dumb playing cards is way too much.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Apr 8, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

It was a really poorly managed kickstarter in my opinion. The rewards were all lame, I even e-mailed them and was like "hey include a t-shirt or a sticker or something" and the reply to was "no". Plus there have to be a hundred colleges or places that will fund this kind of research, so why use kickstarter? Go after grant money and poo poo.

The rewards are not bad on the indiegogo site and they added shirts, so I guess you made a difference

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

It's a good thing it blocks all that GPS signal you're transmitting

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

For anyone into model rocketry, my cousin and a friend of his launched an indiegogo campaign for their Smart (and smartphone-enabled) Model Rocket launch console which they call MMC (Mobile Mission Control).

This seems like something the FBI might be taking quite an interest in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"Wait.... Only PS4 and vita? Way to alienate your Xbox1 base. I'm really tempted to pull my backing and give it to Mighty #9 now."

• Locked thread