Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
How remiss of me not to post last year's successful Detroit Needs A Statue of Robocop! Kickstarter.

Their recent latest update March 2012 update says that the small Robocop sculpture has been sent for 3D scanning, resizing and fabrication so he's sloooowly on his way!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:38 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
MaKey MaKey: An Invention Kit for Everyone

quote:

What's MaKey MaKey?

MaKey MaKey is an invention kit for the 21st century. Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet. It's a simple Invention Kit for Beginners and Experts doing art, engineering, and everything inbetween:

It comes ready to use out of the box with everything you see above: MaKey MaKey, Alligator Clips, USB Cable.

Basically anything that conducts electricty even slightly (and even things that don't if you get them a little wet or whatever) can be used in place of a keyboard or mouse to control programs or webpages, so you can make a banana piano:

Or you can use a plain graphite pencil to draw a usable keyboard:

The product is fully fleshed out, they're just asking for donations so they can do a large first production run which will bring the retail price down. Looks like they made their pledge goal in two days. :)

It's cool projects like this that make Kickstarter awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you're a fan of the Jesus Christ: In The Name Of The Gun webcomic you'll be excited to hear that they've started a kickstarter project for an animated version.

And if you haven't heard of it before the KS video pledge gives a pretty good idea of what it's all about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

They've reached 50% funding so they released an update video about some of the issues they've experienced on the project and how they've worked through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuNQP6eP7Zo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clang

They've got 35 hours to go and as of right now they've raised almost 98% of their goal, it's going to go down to the wire but it looks like they're going to make it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Reekardo posted:

It's a Burning Man Art Project

I stopped reading right there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jet Jaguar posted:

How is the Penny Arcade thing even remotely within the terms of service? "Pay our bills for a year" doesn't seem terribly kosher.

If people are interested in discussing it there's a lovely* discussion about this very question over in the GBS Kickstarter thread stating here.

* Not a guarantee, discussion may be less than 100% lovely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Jon Kricfalusi (the guy who invented Ren & Stimpy) needs money so he can expunge some terrible childhood memories via the medium of funny moving pictures.
John K's "Cans Without Labels"
The pitch video is 9 minutes of Jon K ranting about his Dad and drawing sketches of George Liquor (AMERICAN!) and that alone should be worth a few bucks.

Peter Mayhew (the actor inside the Chewbacca suit in the original Star Wars trilogy) needs a golf cart so he can maybe take part in the Chewbacchus 2013 Parade!
A Ride for THE Wookiee (Millenium Falcon Golfcart)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

Judge Dredd table top miniature game!
They got Judges, Dark Judges, Citi-Def, the Angel Gang, Fatties, I am going to do so much miniature table top gaming.

Goddamn, just watch them chew through all those stretch goals!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

doczoid posted:

I've never done crowd funding before, any tips?

Yeah, sell the product first and then sell yourself. Also the pitch is way too brief and doesn't cover many questions people might have such as whether the lenses will fit their particular cameras, exactly how the lenses will be mold proof, whether they'll also be scratch proof, whether they'll come packaged or loose, etc etc. Does Indiegogo have an option for a FAQ where people can click on bullet points for more info? You could stick that info in there.
The fact that you 'hope' the lenses will be $20 (to manufacture? To sell?) is a big turn off and makes you sound like you haven't put in enough prep work on the project and the manufacturing details haven't been figured out. Your pitch makes the project sound risky.

Also I'm not sure if your pledge rewards will entice many non-business sponsors. If the lenses cost $20 to buy and I only wanted to get one or two or even five just to try them out then I'd wait until the project was over and the lenses were commercially available since none of those pledge levels would actually save me any money. If I was intending to buy 6 lenses at $20 each then the $25 perk would only save me $5 in the end ($25 pledge + $120 - $30 discount), and there's no guarantee to the donor that you'll get enough pledges to make the project viable so the potential loss is $25. If I claimed the $50 perk (35% discount) and only bought six lenses I'd be $8 worse off. If the lenses end up costing more than $20 to buy then the pledge rewards would be even less enticing.

If you're only interested in attracting businesses to this project then the pitch is probably too vague and too risky for any savvy business people to take a punt on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

doczoid posted:

Thanks I'll add more info and revise the perks now...

Maybe keep those perks but add "$18 - get one lens", "$35 - get two lenses" etc?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So there was this 3D space game called Elite released back in 1984 which a few goons might have fond memories of ... I certainly spent many many MANY hours playing it on my old Amstrad 6128 back in the day. I just discovered that one of the original co-creators is running a Kickstarter for £1,250,000 to create a modern version which has already raised over £400,000 in just a few days. :woop:

I just hope the soundtrack doesn't feature The Blue Danube Waltz repeated ad finitum again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drunk Tomato posted:

Here is the Kickstarter for Project London, a crowd-sourced, low-budget sci fi adventure film that one of my good friends wrote, directed, and created all the special effects for. I saw the final cut on Monday, and it was pretty drat amazing, especially considering that the whole cast and crew was volunteer. Funny and flashy.

Something Awful thread that I created here.

Those effects are genuinely impressive for a no budget feature length flick. I've seen much MUCH worse effects in 'professional' movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So the musical artist Whitey launched a kickstarter today. You are probably wondering, "Who the gently caress is Whitey and why should I care?"

They're probably also wondering "Where's the link to the Kickstarter page?"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/njwhitey/whitey-bare-bones-project-new-lp-full-tour-box-set ;)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone was considering pledging to Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (and you really should) there's only a day left on the campaign so get on it now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
An Honest Liar: The Amazing Randi Story

quote:

An Honest Liar profiles the colorful life of famed magician turned professional skeptic James “The Amazing” Randi as he embarks on a series of public crusades to expose America’s psychics, faith healers and con artists with religious fervor. But you never know whether to trust a master deceiver - and there's more to Randi's life than meets the eye.

Featuring Penn & Teller, Richard Dawkins, Bill Nye, Alice Cooper, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and Adam Savage! I can't imbed the video but go check it out, if you're a fan of The Amazing Randi or magicians or skepticism or irascible old men then this is for you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just in case you hadn't heard, Satellite High has an Indiegogo for his upcoming tour. :woop:

Edit: goon comic project Jaybird only has 9 days left as well.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jan 24, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sefer posted:

I wanted to point this out one last time, since there are 14 hours to go and just over $600 needed. Indiegogo takes a lower percentage from flexible funding campaigns that meet their goal than ones who don't (which is kinda messed up, since the ones that don't make it clearly need the money more), so anyone interested in indepentent comics should check this out.

He made his goal! :toot::toot:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Monkey Light Pro - Bicycle Wheel Display System

An LED system that displays animated gifs of up to 1000 frames and up to 256 colours on your bike wheels via the persistence of vision effect. The images are displayed on both sides of the wheel and the battery lasts up to eight hours between recharges. You can use the files they provide or upload your own files (JPG, GIF, PNG, AVI, MPEG, MOV, QT or FLV) via bluetooth.

The downside is that they cost $700. :saddowns:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Iranian Legend: The Iron Sheik Story
A project to raise money for a documentary about the infamous wrestling villain the Iron Sheik and also to pay for some critical surgery on his hosed up legs and ankles.

quote:

“HELLO TO ALL MY INTELLIGENT FANS!

We start to make a movie, documentary, about my life. How I bodyguard of Shah, how I was gold medal wrestling champion, how I was #1 WWE champion, how I was the real shooter and not like that dog dick Hulk Hogan. But now we need the help of the fans. So if you have the heart, if you have the balls, please help support my documentary on the indiegogogo and to make the REAL film for the REAL fans about the REAL legend.

God bless!"

-The Iron Sheik
He's an insane old man :nws: and I'd love to see a documentary about all the crazy poo poo he's done in his life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

reni89 posted:

Hi KS experts,

I've come up with a brilliant product that everyone everywhere will want.

Problem is I live in Australia.

How much worse is indiegogo? Should I hire someone in the US to run the KS?

Thanks.

If your pitch and your PR campaign aren't amazing then there's a pretty big risk that your project will get lost amongst the noise at Indiegogo. Of course, if your pitch and your campaign aren't amazing it might not do well at Kickstarter either but it'll still stand a better chance. In either case the PR work you do outside of KS/IGG will make or break the project unless it goes viral on its own and there's never any guarantee of that.

There's a few websites out there with step by step instructions on setting up a Kickstarter project from Australia and it sounds like a fairly arduous process but if you're serious about setting up this business then it'd probably be worth it. It'll be a lot easier if you've got a friend in the US who can become your 'employee' and register the LLC and the bank accounts and everything for you, or you could even take a trip over there and do it yourself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KittyLitter posted:

That project has waaaaay exceeded my expectations

2000% success and there's still 5 days to go! :iia:

However, I'm sure that everyone will join me in hoping that you reach the $25,000 stretch reward. :supaburn:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Help raise money to study conditions and diseases which occur in the brain (anxiety, depression, eating and sleeping disorders, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, etc..) and you can name the virus!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

I am pleasantly astonished at the star power backing the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter. They just now announced that the cast of BSG (Sackhoff, Olmos, Helfer, Bamber, and Trucco) is going to do a Reading Rainbow live event. This is in addition to various set visits, Seth McFarlane matching pledges, Veronica Mars, and of course the cast of various Star Treks. Goddamn.

They're now officially one of the top 5 Kickstarter most funded projects ever, the other top 4 projects (Pebble, OUYA, Pono & Veronica Mars) have all thrown in and are helping out, they've got the most backers of any KS project ever and it looks like they'll hit the $5 million mark over their final 24 hours. Oh and then Seth McFarlane will then chuck in another million bucks, making them the fourth or possibly the third highest funded KS project.

• Locked thread