Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

zifflol posted:

A few maildays to catch up on here and my first cardpost in the thread!

A couple jerseys

I'm not really an islanders fan, does anyone know what it would fetch on ebay? I can't find even a picture of one anywhere else

If you decide to part with that Bergeron card at some point PM me your asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I'm not a hardcore Flyers fan, but drat those are some sweet cards.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

Hmm, just contacted Panini about getting a several month old Kris Draper jersey auto from Certified /25 replaced. They have usually been pretty stellar about doing proper replacements. What did they replace it with?

Matt Read Contenders auto /800 :stare: I am pretty pissed. Gonna call and have a chat.

e: Update

So I called Customer Service and asked for Redemptions. The lady I got there was like 'Well, I understand your frustration but it is a random pull and actually we are replacing your card valued at $15 with a card valued at $25 (Read sells for $5 on ebay lol) so that is that.' I disagreed with the assessment of value and I was told too bad. I told her I'd rather wait another 6 months for the Draper than take something /800. She said too bad, you can't do that. I asked to talk to her supervisor, he is out of town. I ask if I can talk to a different supervisor, she says no. I get pissed, tell her I will be calling back on Monday about it. She says ok, bye.

So I stew for a few minutes and call back, ask for a CS supervisor instead. Get a lady on the phone, explain the situation. She again tells me that it is a random pull, they can't change it. I say ok, fine, I understand, but I am still not happy with it and would rather just wait for the other card. She says she can stop the package and do that if I want to. I tell her to do that, let her know that the lady over in redemptions told me I could NOT do that. She apologizes for that, says she will get on the line with the mail room and stop the package and put me back on the wait list for the Draper. I thank her, end of phone call. Before I finished typing this out, she had made the correction. Thank you Jessica in CS.

It's good they fixed that for you, but holy poo poo what a process. I got pissed just reading it. You're a more patient man than I sir.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Wow, those patches are beautiful.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I would definitely be in if there were a prime break.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah, I know. I can dream though right?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

I am literally making GBS threads rainbows.

I wonder what I can get for it. $500? $800?

Easy, I'd say.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

I wanted to post today and brag about my awesome Patrick Roy 1/1 auto. I wanted to give you scans of a really cool, expensive collectable that I was lucky enough to pull. But I am not able to post that today. Here is why:

:nws: http://imgur.com/a/TaSZj :nws:

I bet you all can guess who I am not giving any more of my money to.

Oh man, what a bummer :(

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

You never saw it because you said 'Crown Royale auto? ewww' and that was the end of it haha.

So I got on the line with Panini's CS manager and discussed why I didn't think a Roy Limited 1/1 auto was comparable to a Roy Prime 1/1 auto. We went back and forth a little, he informed me that typically the policy is if they can not replace the card, they would just send the original one back, but he was doing me a favor by coming up with alternatives. I asked him to reconsider as I have had the CS department at another trading card company work with me a little to make everyone happy. After that he put me on hold to go get my card and look at the damage. When he came back he said that he would be returning it to me as the damage isn't too bad, but he would add in a box of Prime to compensate for what was damaged and the trouble. I accepted. The end.

Hopefully karma gives you some awesome pulls.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I regret that I wasn't able to get in on this break :(

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Ashekaban posted:

If you really want in, Im willing to get rid of a spot for you, I had a huge purchase this past week, that i'd give a spot up if you want.

-Edit- ill hold off on sending til before we go live incase he or someone else wants a spot.

Nah, I should probably finish my Christmas shopping at least for my family before I go jumping in a break. I'll get in on the next one.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Sharp_angus posted:

I saw the stream closed already, were there not some Team Pinnacles that needed to be random'd off after tonight's break?

Yeah there were a couple. Nice pull on that booklet. Can't wait to see the picture.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I'm in for this one as long as its in early January. Hell if we don't fill it I'll take another spot. (Not just yet though, put me in for one)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Wow, that's a real nice card you got there, Dark. :catstare:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Ashekaban posted:

Oh but hockey is the most fun!!!
I just wish they had the kind of value that some killer basketball/baseball cards had.

If we get another 2 new breakers into this, I will toss dark some money and get us a super secret surprise to break.

(no this wont be all goalies)

You're awesome, and this break is going to be awesome.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Also voting contenders.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I'm excited about Prime! I hope we fill those spots!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I got a Wayne Gretzsky Silver Skates insert in a pack of those last week. Didn't feel any different to me, maybe a little more glossy. (Mine wasn't gold)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

Silver skates are very glossy (think the High Gloss parallels) but not on unique stock. The Gretz one is probably shortprint. Look at the number, SS31-SS40 are short printed by a factor of 10, so a nice hit.

Also that is a pretty kickass box of Pinnacle, Revolution inserts are 1-2 per case, Ice Breakers rookie autos are also 1-2 per case. Good show.

Yeah its #SS33 Yay, I finally got something cool!

edit: Looks like one has already sold on ebay for $25. Not bad for a 3 dollar impulse buy.

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 15, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Apparently you can't attach an image to a post you've already made. Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to post the card because I feel pretty good about it now :)Even though its not half as good as 99.999% of the cards posted here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Frobocop posted:

If ya'll still need someone for the break, I'll join. I've never done one before so it might be fun.

Annnnnnnnnnnd does this put is in surprise territory!?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

:stare: I didn't know this was a thing. As far as the most I've spent on single card, $10.00 on Crosby rookie a long time ago (like his rookie year), it's since been lost in one of the many times I've moved over the past 3 years. :( I'm still a stupid newbie when it comes to hockey card collecting.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nice find. Variants are hard to get at retail, especially now that they say how rare they are right on them. I got the Peter Forsberg Nordiques one at Target and then went years without seeing one.

I'm still mad at them for making the Gretzky Burger King variant super rare. I think the ebay average on those is like $400.

A buddy of mine collects only variants, he has every wall in his bedroom completely covered with them. He collects them from any sport, any team, any player and has been doing so for about 10 years. I'd imagine he's sitting on a small goldmine by now.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

I guess by sheer volume he might have some cash there. But lots of those figures wouldn't even fetch original retail value, never mind whatever premium he might have paid for the variants.

Legends hold a bit of value, but nobody really wants to give someone real money for a toy the looks like Anson Carter or Darcy Tucker, no matter what colour shirt he might be wearing.

He only buys them as he sees them in the store, as far as I know anyway. I've seen him take all the figures off the shelves hunting for a variant, he even knows what day they get shipments haha. I don't think he ever has the intention of selling them again, but who knows. Back to hockey cards! As I've said I'm new to collecting hockey cards, I used to collect baseball cards, but that got old. So can anyone give me a very brief overview of which manufacturers are better for hockey cards? I know panini is very popular in this thread, and I've seen some UD. Any companies I should avoid?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Panini and UD are it for officially licensed product, there is also a company called In The Game (ITG) that makes cards, but not licensed with the NHLPA (it does have a license for team Canada though) so you won't see any team logos in the pictures on the cards. Between Panini and UD it's really buyers choice, both make some good sets, and some not good ones and they have products for every price point, from cheap just want cards with pictures of your favorite players (Victory, Score) to holy poo poo you spent how much on a pack (The CUp, Dominion).

Thanks! This helps a lot. What do you guys store your collection in? Right now I just have a couple clear box cases that hold my base cards, and I've been using plastic sleeves for my inserts. I want to narrow the focus of my collection eventually to just awesome inserts, and from there to my favorite players. So eventually I guess I'd need a binder or something, is that really the safest way to store my cards?

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

So much info, thank you guys. Now I feel (somewhat) qualified to break with you guys. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'll get a binder and some pages next week hopefully.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Is there strictly a set of Team Canada stuff? I'd be really interested in collecting that stuff.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Ashekaban posted:

You keep forgetting about all goalies....

With my luck I'd get the Minnesota Wild.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

So on an impulse today I bought 3 packs of UD Black Diamond. I really like the look of these cards. I think I'm gonna buy more, but I did find something cool. Sorry for the blurry camera phone picture. It's a Team Canada "Double Diamond" jersey card. Casey Cizikas. I've never heard of him,(probably because he plays for the Islanders) but I'll hang on to the card, in case someday I do hear of him.

edit: I also got a Bobby Orr base card, I wonder why he is included in the set as a base.

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 21, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

In recent seasons, Black Diamond has had legends and superstars in the base set in team uniforms, and the quad veterans as All-Star Game photos. Two Orrs in the set.

Yeah this Orr is just a single diamond, looks to be selling on ebay for about a dollar. So nothing special. I was excited anyway because he's one of my favorite players ever. I put it in a hard case and I'll display it for my own personal enjoyment. I did get a 3 diamond (I hope I'm reading these cards correctly) Aaron Ness "Rookie Gems" card. So I got 3 cards I consider decent in 3 packs. I really like this set.

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Sorry for the double post, here is the Orr if you're interested Darkwolf. I think its a pretty sweet looking card.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Sharp_angus posted:

Is Black Diamond still a Parallel hell?

I remember it was either 09/10 or 10/11 that was an absolute mess of parallels and inserts so collecting the whole set was a daunting task..

I really dug the design of the cards, even the bases, though.

Looking at the checklists, it doesn't appear too bad. There's 100 base cards, and 100 of most of the insert sets. The design is cool as hell.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

darkwolf220 posted:

A customer at work attempted to sever my finger today with a kitchen knife :( It isn't too too bad, but if it sucks at healing, better push that 3 hr break to a 4 hr one lol.

That's a real bummer. I hoped you kicked them out of the store! Also, I've decided I'm going to try to complete Black Diamond (the base at least) I've got a pretty good start. Any advice on the best way to go about doing this? I like opening the packs, but this could be expensive when I get toward the end. Also I was wondering since my collection is meager, if I could pay extra for the base cards we get in this break? (If no one else wants them and there are no plans for them already) No need to sort them or anything, I'd gladly do that.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I know we're breaking contenders, but at this point I'll take whatever hockey cards I can get my hands on. I'm in the US, and as I said, no need to piece anything together unless you want to. I'd be happy with a ton of cards just tossed in a box. I'll either donate the doubles or give them to my buddy who is thinking of starting a collection of his own.
I've started my BD set in a binder, and single diamond I'm at like 50% completion. I'm going to try to get up through double diamond before giving up. (We'll see how far I make it) I'll start checking out ebay too. I saw last years set, at a comic shop for 35 bucks today(single diamond) I almost bought it.

You guys in this thread are awesome, and have been a huge help, and inspiration to my starting a collection. I lurked for quite a while, so pumped to be starting up now. Especially since there's no hockey on TV :( this is a nice distraction.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Bought a box of Pinnacle 2011-12 with some of my Christmas money today. Had a couple good hits.

Milan Lucic Threads card 41/50, the back is a little scuffed and you can't read some of the words. I'm a little pissed about that.

I also landed a Pittsburgh Penguins Starting 6 75/199 Has Jordan Staal, James Neal, Brian Strait, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin, and Marc-Andre Fleury.

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Contact Panini about the damaged Lucic, they may offer to help, or they may not. (Seriously customer service at UD and Panini is a crapshoot, sometimes you get great service and prompt help, some times it takes forever, and some times they just tell you to gently caress off)

http://www.paniniamerica.net/FAQ.cfm

Will do! Thank you!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Quantrill posted:

Want this.

I'd be interested in trading or selling it. PM me if you're interested.

edit: So I'm trying to put through a request with Panini online, and I can't find set my card is in anywhere.

edit 2: Well, apparently they can't replace my Lucic card. gently caress. :(

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 26, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I did call Panini directly, the woman on the other end told me that since the card was over a year old they couldn't replace it. Even though I had no problem finding other cards in the same set on the list of things to choose from. So thats kind of infuriating. I'll try calling again tomorrow and asking for someone different. If Quantrill decides to take your prime version Darkwolf, I'm still going to look to sell mine. I saw one on ebay for 44.95, is that a fair price to ask for it if I list mine?

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

You got a Lehtonen! but Surmy won the break with that Hartnell card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Payment sent Darkwolf

• Locked thread