Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Good luck guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Which Cap did you get die-cut?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You didn't happen to get a Dimitry Orlov canvas YG by any chance?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
What up with loose packs, is there a way to reliably pick out the hits from SPX?

Sucks about your lack of Capitals hits, seems they manage to dissapoint fans and nonfans alike.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

AsInHowe posted:

Upper Deck, in their infinite wisdom, has apparently placed all the hits directly on top of the box.

Also, one guy pulled a Finite Miele card from a box, in case anyone wants it.

You're making GBS threads me, that's asinine.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ElwoodCuse posted:

Can Upper Deck go bankrupt and let Panini buy the leftover cutup jerseys and sticker autos please?

I think they've been circling the drain since the Yu-Gi-Oh scandal.

UD posted on their facebook page that the SPX checklist will be released tomorrow.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Not a card but my co-worker picked this up for me at a charity silent auction this weekend:

Marcus Johansson auto puck. It's my first puck, I'm pretty happy since it only cost me a $15 donation to charity.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Prime looks very nice, way out of my price range though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You have taken all the luck for yourself.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
That is some hosed up poo poo there. Which break group was this with?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Nice buy. I'm tracking some Dominion one color /199 Dmitry Orlov patch/autos and hoping they go similarly cheap, he's one of the 2 caps whose auto I want and don't have (gently caress the prices on Ovie autos).

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Won myself a Dominion Orlov Auto/"Patch"(it's a white/blue jersey seam, not a patch, but gently caress it, all the really good patches went above my budget and at least it's not 1 color) last night, $11. First hockey card I've gotten since my second kid was born, made it my birthday gift to myself.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

Finally giving up on the delusion that I am going to be able to sell that Roy auto in the condition it is in and sending it back to Panini today. Hopefully they can find something of equal value for me, or at least kick me a tin of Dominion or something.

I hope you come out as far ahead as I did on my damaged Stajan card from UD, without the ridiculous long wait though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Maybe if they gave you both the Roy and the Doan from limited. Even then I'm not sure that'd be good enough.

Got my Orlov auto. First of the "High end"(Dominion/Cup) cards for me. loving hell that thing is thick, it's like 2 Artifacts. I'm quite happy for $11:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
poo poo, sticker/cut auto is never comparable to an on card, except where you just can't get an on card from the guy any more. Limited is a decent product, but Prime is better, and you shouldn't have to take a hit for their lovely packing out.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You really need to find the "R".

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

You never saw it because you said 'Crown Royale auto? ewww' and that was the end of it haha.

So I got on the line with Panini's CS manager and discussed why I didn't think a Roy Limited 1/1 auto was comparable to a Roy Prime 1/1 auto. We went back and forth a little, he informed me that typically the policy is if they can not replace the card, they would just send the original one back, but he was doing me a favor by coming up with alternatives. I asked him to reconsider as I have had the CS department at another trading card company work with me a little to make everyone happy. After that he put me on hold to go get my card and look at the damage. When he came back he said that he would be returning it to me as the damage isn't too bad, but he would add in a box of Prime to compensate for what was damaged and the trouble. I accepted. The end.

I'd be kinda pissed if it were me. Going by some quick e-bay price comparisons, you had a 500ish Roy that shipped out damaged as gently caress, diminished value on that is on the order of $250-300 lost. They offer you a replacement that is worth about what the card you had is worth in its damaged state, then he fed you bullshit about how he's doing you a favor even trying to come up with a solution. Poor showing on Panini's part in my opinion, this may be the first time I say UD is better about something than Panini. I hope you get some beastly loving pulls from that pack.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

Was in a Dominion/Dominion/Cup draft tonight, picked 6th overall and got an Orlov horozontal RPA /91. It is pretty nice :) Not horribly valuable, but nice :)

How nice was the patch? Post a picture when you get in in! I've been tracking Orlov autos pretty heavily the last few months.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

It is a nice 3clr number bar. I will post a picture, but I don't think I want to get rid of it. It can only go up in value and I think the horozontal RPAs are going to be worth quite a bit in a few years. You can still nab them on ebay for ~$30

Honestly going by your description, it wouldn't surprise me to see you get $70+ for it right now. Both a number plate and a really nice 3 color patch/seam of the more common vertical RPA both went for a bit over $50 in the last week, add in a premium for yours being the horizontal and that's not a bad pull. Of course, you could be delusional like Clouts & Chara and ask for $229 :psyduck: I'll eat a loving hockey card if they get that much.

If you ever do decide to trade it off, let me know.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

Group breaks might return for the Yule season, limited time only, if the interest is there. Hoping for a smaller group with a deeper pocket :)

Superlative and Prime are out, just sayin...

You get your box of Prime from Panini yet?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

Oh, I thought I posted about that. Yes, I did, nice box, Gardiner rookie /50, Kassian Prime Time rookie auto /50 Hextall auto /99 and this gem:

Brett Connolly Prime Time Rookie Patch /10. 5 colors :stare:

Oh also you had asked for a photo of this card when it came in:

I am probably going to keep it, unless someone on ebay feels they need to pay me a few hundred dollars.

Nice box, and nice Orlov.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

My loving God.

On a whim, because I got paid today, I took the last 2 spots in a Superlative group break. 1 book. I ended up with a Sakic/Anderson/M Richard Overtime Playoff Goal Leaders triple numbered 1 of 1 :stare: and an Esposito Superlative goalies numbered 2 of 4.

Oh, and my choices were 2nd and 4th. First was a Messier patch 1/1 and 3rd was a Tretiak pad plus auto /9. What a loving book. I was shaking when they showed the pick order. Woop. I dont even care that I flamed out a little in the mix.

Nice!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

thompson posted:

I'm excited to open some hockey cards with ya'll! Fun question. What's the most you ever payed for a single card?

A whole eleven and a half dollars! I don't have a lot of disposable income for cards, so I do a lot of watching and sniping on ebay. If your patient you can sometimes find good prices.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Panini and UD are it for officially licensed product, there is also a company called In The Game (ITG) that makes cards, but not licensed with the NHLPA (it does have a license for team Canada though) so you won't see any team logos in the pictures on the cards. Between Panini and UD it's really buyers choice, both make some good sets, and some not good ones and they have products for every price point, from cheap just want cards with pictures of your favorite players (Victory, Score) to holy poo poo you spent how much on a pack (The CUp, Dominion).

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Personally my favorites occupy the sort of lower middle end of the price spectrum. UD's Artifacts and Panini's Certified. Both are attractive sets with good hits in them at an almost reasonable price ($10~12 US per hobby pack).

Also be aware, there is frequently a difference between the packs you get in hobby stores, retail stores, and blaster boxes. Hobby are going to cost more, but they have the best odds of getting the insert cards, and some of the best cards aren't included in the retail packs at all. Blaster boxes vary but usually have odds that are better than retail but not as good as hobby (though this isn't always the case, sometimes grabbing blaster boxes at the local target is a good deal, you've just got to check around first, Certified last year was a guaranteed hit per blaster). Retail packs are usually gimped with lower odds and without some of the auto or memorabilia cards, though retail packs of UD series 1 were a good buy last year because the odds of the Young Guns cards were the same as hobby. (Young Guns are the de facto rookie card in the hockey world, and last year had a particularly valuable class).

One other thing to note, in the hockey world, a player cannot appear on a card until he has played an NHL game, so rookies won't appear in packs until sets that come out after the start of the season,sets that come out before then may have a numbered redemption card for each team, that is associated with a rookie later in the season once most teams have actually had a few of them play.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

LumpyGumby posted:

Actually, they lost the Team Canada license almost last year. They awarded it to UD now, which is why you've probably noticed an uptick in Team Canada stuff from UD.
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretz...=item3f203752f8

Oops, didn't catch that. I really don't follow ITG, they've got a couple interesting products but on a whole I just get a kind of cheesy knockoff vibe from them.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Wife got me an 11-12 Contenders NHL Ink of Ovechkin for the holidays. Really nice on card auto.

Also grabbed myself a rookie royalty auto of Marcus Johansson for super cheap, the auto is really rushed, you can tell he was in a hurry or tired, but it makes 5 autos of him for me now, if I'm not careful I'm going to get like Darkwolf is with Rundblad.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ElwoodCuse posted:

The various sports collecting accounts I follow like to tweet really lovely autographs and football players are by far the worst. They've posted some rookie draft picks that write one goddamn letter.

Even Don Cherry did a YA KNOW SOMTIN DAT BUGS ME about how THESE KIDS can't even write their name anymore. Now BOBBY ORR, that's a signature (and for once, he's right)

Yeah, the better looking signatures are usually on the old guys, the best looking one in my collection is Rod Langway. Some of the younger guys are OK, Brooks Laich isn't too bad, but Johansson has a very lazy signature, as does Mike Green, and Dmitry Orlov's is really bad (even accounting for it being Cyrillic) it looks like a loving dollar sign and the OP logo followed by his number.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 26, 2012

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Contact Panini about the damaged Lucic, they may offer to help, or they may not. (Seriously customer service at UD and Panini is a crapshoot, sometimes you get great service and prompt help, some times it takes forever, and some times they just tell you to gently caress off)

http://www.paniniamerica.net/FAQ.cfm

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
The sports trading card companies have such poo poo customer service, if they couldn't replace the card they should have at least comped you a pack of a similar price point product, it's loving factory damaged.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
There's a baseball memorabilia thread, I've never seen anyone mention basketball, and I don't know if the football forum has one or not, I rarely go there except game day threads sometimes.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

You think that is creepy, try this on for size: (NWSish?)

Should I be thankful that spoiler text doesn't work with an iPhone on the new forums?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Ashekaban posted:

depends if you like game used adult film clothing or not..

Ahhh, yeah, no that's ok. I like my crabs to come from the ocean.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I'll reserve the mini break Capitals.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You didn't happen to get a picture of that Semin card from the other nights big break did you? Wanted to see that again.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Dark, I'll hit you up with the payment either later tonight or first thing tomorrow, spent most of last night with my little one in the hospital.

Ashe, you wouldn't be interested in trading that Capitals starting 6 would you?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

darkwolf220 posted:

:ohdear: Is everything ok? If you need some time, no probs, I know you are legit. Priorities.

Also, noted shyduck

Everything is fine. Little one had a fever that spiked up pretty high, higher than comfortable for an infant so we took him in, ended up staying about 4 hours while they did some tests/x-rays etc. they got the fever down, he's not dehydrated, and all the tests were clear, it's just an upper respiratory infection that should clear up in a few days. Now that I know he should be OK I just wish he'd had the courtesy to get sick during office hours so I wouldn't have to pay for a drat ER visit now.

Ashekaban posted:

You bet i would be!
Whatcha got that may or may not interest me?

What's your team/players again (other than Lehtonen)? I am forgetful.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Payment paid.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Capitals in the mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Holy poo poo, that is loving ridiculous. This years boxes are going to crater in price, and next years poo poo is going to skyrocket.

• Locked thread