Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«119 »
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Tunahead posted:

Is there any reliable information about the performance of the PC version? Just wondering because Max Payne will always be a PC game to me and "Rockstar" and "PC port" are two concepts that when mixed together generally make me wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.
The system specs are here. It's worth mentioning that this isn't minimum and recommended for some reason - it's minimum and everything-cranked-up-to-max. Rockstar insist you'll be fine if you're in that range, but, well, GTA4 PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerKat
Nov 5, 2009

I approach you from the front and you're kinda like "wow this dude's pretty serious."

Then I walk away and you're like "damn he likes to party. with two R's."

Tunahead posted:

Is there any reliable information about the performance of the PC version? Just wondering because Max Payne will always be a PC game to me and "Rockstar" and "PC port" are two concepts that when mixed together generally make me wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

This is really funny and depressing considering the origins of Rockstar but... welp, here we are. I wonder if they feel burned by the PC community after they found the Hot Coffee content in San Andreas.

Torabi
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

I didn't pay much attention to this game until recently. The multiplayer looks like an insane amount of fun.

I've been searching around but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Do any of you guys know if the game will use the awful GFWL service or use something else?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Torabi posted:

I've been searching around but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Do any of you guys know if the game will use the awful GFWL service or use something else?
Rockstar aren't talking about how multiplayer will work on PC yet, except that Gangs will be handled through their own Rockstar Social Club service.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

cumbersome motion capture

Kennel posted:

Huh? McCaffrey being the character model was the only thing I've never seen mentioned before.

Anyway, the first part of the comic is coming out today: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...his-friday.html

Well either it's info I hadn't seen talked about already, or it's stuff you could have inferred but Rockstar hadn't necessarily confirmed.

And oh poo poo, there's a comic? Can't wait to see that! Should be pretty badass if it's anything like the panel cutscenes from the first 2 games.

Stare-Out posted:

From what I understand, using cover is only for getting your poo poo together before going back out and blasting fools. Pretty much every piece of cover is destructable, enemies flank aggressively and staying in cover in a gunfight kills your bullet-time income. The game does everything it can to encourage you to rush in headlong with guns blazing; the rewards are better and it's how the game is meant to be played.

I guess there might be a few sections where it's possible to use cover to find the perfect spot to ambush enemies before they know you're there but I doubt even that is in any way mandatory.
Weapon switching will probably be pretty effortless and chances are you'll be using a different weapon a lot in every gunfight after picking one up from a dead enemy. Also you can combine a lot of them for dual wield purposes, like a sawed-off shotty and a desert eagle, and I like the way they made Max hold a two-handed weapon in his free hand while using a one-handed weapon like a pistol.

Basically this. It's not like Gears Of War where you crouch behind cover and blindfire over it while you wait for your health to recharge or anything. It's just for making shootdodges more gratifying.

The Kins posted:

The system specs are here. It's worth mentioning that this isn't minimum and recommended for some reason - it's minimum and everything-cranked-up-to-max. Rockstar insist you'll be fine if you're in that range, but, well, GTA4 PC.

It's probably best to stay at the top end of this range if you can help it. After GTA4, it's best not to take chances and assume your hardware is going to run the game well if you meet the minimum requirements, or even if you're slightly over them.

I've got an i7 2600, 8GB of RAM, a GeForce 560Ti and a 120GB SSD so I'm hoping that'll be okay. It's not at the very top of the range, but it's near it. Plus, I'm going to try and upgrade my video card before the game comes out anyway.

If it doesn't run well on my PC, then oh well, at least I'll still have it for 360 vv

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Speaking of the comic, Kotaku (Yeah, yeah, I know...) and MTV have had quick chats with Sam Lake and Dan Houser about it.

Sam Lake posted:

There are two aspects that have not been told before. The first one is Max’s childhood, how he became the man we all know. And then there are those untold years between Max 1 and 2 when he was working as a NYPD detective, solving a number of repulsive cases involving serial killers and worse.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005

Tunahead posted:

Considering they've added DX11, tessellation and the like, it would be safe in thinking they've taken the time to optimise. It's not a straight port.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

The Kins posted:

Speaking of the comic, Kotaku (Yeah, yeah, I know...) and MTV have had quick chats with Sam Lake and Dan Houser about it.

Sounds awesome! Seems like it will fill in bits and pieces of the story all across the series.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

They've been showing off all three versions at demos and events, so... hopefully all versions of the game are up to par?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.

Profanity posted:

Considering they've added DX11, tessellation and the like, it would be safe in thinking they've taken the time to optimise. It's not a straight port.

That's what people thought with Arkham City (although it ran fine in DX9, DX11 and tesselation knocked the fps down considerably even on a powerful PC)

I hope we'll get confirmation about the performance before release, I really want to get this for PC and I'll settle for the 360 version only in an extreme case. The MP looks surprisingly good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Comic issue 1 is up! It's a cheerful, feel-good ride through the life and times of a happy-go-lucky retired police officer.

The Kins fucked around with this message at May 4, 2012 around 18:42

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

The Kins posted:

Comic issue 1 is up! It's a cheerful, feel-good ride through the life and times of a happy-go-lucky retired police officer.

I just finished reading it. The thing I like about Max is that he's always a glass-half-full kinda guy.

It was quite slight, but I'll be interested to see if the story gets any deeper. I didn't see how many issues they're planning on doing.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

The Kins posted:

Yes, that description is totally accurate!

(It's really well done. Can't wait for the rest of the series.)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Will they upload all of these? Or just the first one as a sampler?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Trico posted:

Will they upload all of these? Or just the first one as a sampler?

I'm pretty sure they originally said that only the first one will be free but that page says: "Come back soon to read and download your free copy of issue #2 from this original comic book series."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

I'd have been really upset if no one had a hot plastic groin as their avatar.

Silver Newt posted:

I just finished reading it. The thing I like about Max is that he's always a glass-half-full kinda guy.

It was quite slight, but I'll be interested to see if the story gets any deeper. I didn't see how many issues they're planning on doing.

It says "1 of 3" on the cover. I dug it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

That was surprisingly not bad.

A little heavy on the angst but hey, it's Payne, it fits.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

I read the narration in McCaffrey's voice. I like where the comic is going. And I guess Max's dead daughter now officially has a name.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

For anyone who has Max Payne Mobile on their iOS device or plans to buy it, skip the nightmare levels. Trust me.

Walking the red blood lines with your finger is not easy. I was trying to be as precise as possible, and that still resulted in me falling off the platform every other move.

I was doing this in bed last night right before going to sleep. It was pretty loving frustrating until I saw that I could skip that level entirely (as it's a prologue level and isn't required to progress in the game). Then I went on to the next level and was happy about that, and I promptly fell asleep like 5 seconds later

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Is there a way to download the Gametrailers episode? The player doesn't load HD on my PC very well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

Is there a way to download the Gametrailers episode? The player doesn't load HD on my PC very well.
The GT player has always been crap. I'm not sure if they ever put the GTTV episodes up for download but it might pop up on Youtube at some point.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The GT player has always been crap. I'm not sure if they ever put the GTTV episodes up for download but it might pop up on Youtube at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwOdfpYszuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Xx_2iAZ7k

There's the whole thing on YouTube, but this might get taken down since it's not from the official GameTrailers YouTube channel. Then again, maybe it won't. I'm not sure how they operate.

Primoman
Jan 22, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I'm pretty much sold in getting this game, but I haven't yet decided if I should nab the 360 version or wait for the PC release.

Rockstar's previous track record on PC ports haven't been favorable, so I'm wondering if any assurances have been made that this will be a far better port. Did they confirm if the game can hit 60 fps, or will we be stuck with a fixed 30 fps like LA Noire?

7billionanddying
Oct 30, 2011

A decade late to the party but I'm just finishing up Max Payne 1 for the first time and, yeah... those nightmare levels are just plain atrocious.

Edit: The rest of the game is pretty boss though.

7billionanddying fucked around with this message at May 5, 2012 around 00:26

echronorian
Jan 6, 2007

This must be the chance I've always wanted!!

Primoman posted:

I'm pretty much sold in getting this game, but I haven't yet decided if I should nab the 360 version or wait for the PC release.

Rockstar's previous track record on PC ports haven't been favorable, so I'm wondering if any assurances have been made that this will be a far better port. Did they confirm if the game can hit 60 fps, or will we be stuck with a fixed 30 fps like LA Noire?

Wondering the same thing. Considering the two week gap between console and PC release I think I'll be going with my couch and television.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The comic's art and writing are pretty good, but making Max have an unhappy childhood like every single grimdark hero is so boring.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

But Max is supposed to be a walking chiche-film-noir-protagonist-dude. The more misery coupled with whiskey/smoke filled narration the better. This guy can't have an happy ending, beginning, or anything ever, that's the point!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sam Lake posted:

There are two aspects that have not been told before. The first one is Max’s childhood, how he became the man we all know.

You just know he was the best dodgeball player at school. Trouble is he was always the last one on his team left standing. And he'd get in trouble in class for not paying attention during his internal monologues.

Torabi
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Primoman posted:

I'm a bit concerned about this as well. But I can be optimistic and say that the PC version was sent out to mass production a bit later due to them working some more on it.

I really hope it works well since me and my friends are all sick of BF3 and would like something new to play online.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Replaying Max Payne on PS3, I realised that I'd forgotten that the pause menu was the camera circling Max with the action paused, and the amount of times I used to try and pause it while doing something awesome to capture it, Matrix-style.
I hope Rockstar keep that in for MP3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Silver Newt posted:

Replaying Max Payne on PS3, I realised that I'd forgotten that the pause menu was the camera circling Max with the action paused, and the amount of times I used to try and pause it while doing something awesome to capture it, Matrix-style.
I hope Rockstar keep that in for MP3.
Yeah, I think overall I've never paused a game more than I did both Max Payne 1 and 2. The PC versions even had the free camera option from the developer console and with those two combined you could create some really badass screenshots. I think baldurk used it quite a bit in his LPs for makeshift camera angles. It's a shame the console versions never had the free camera.

John Dough
Oct 30, 2004

There is nothing quite as wonderful as money, money, money...

Metanaut posted:

That's what people thought with Arkham City (although it ran fine in DX9, DX11 and tesselation knocked the fps down considerably even on a powerful PC)

Honestly, Arkham City ran better on my PC than GTA4, despite being about two years newer.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

I got Arkham City for PC free with my GeForce 560Ti. I've still never played that copy. I ended up just renting it for 360 because I really wanted to play it and the PC version kept getting delayed.

That's more or less the same reason I'll be getting MP3 for 360 first and then PC later.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Do I have everybody's attention now?

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I think overall I've never paused a game more than I did both Max Payne 1 and 2. The PC versions even had the free camera option from the developer console and with those two combined you could create some really badass screenshots. I think baldurk used it quite a bit in his LPs for makeshift camera angles. It's a shame the console versions never had the free camera.

What's the command for that?!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

What's the command for that?!
I can't remember it for MP1 but for MP2 just edit the shortcut and add -developerkeys -screenshot after the MaxPayne2.exe" line, then ingame if you press F3 you can move the camera freely (even while paused) and F10 takes screenshots which are saved in the game folder.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

I can't remember it for MP1 but for MP2 just edit the shortcut and add -developerkeys -screenshot after the MaxPayne2.exe" line, then ingame if you press F3 you can move the camera freely (even while paused) and F10 takes screenshots which are saved in the game folder.

This is great.

I can't get the console to open though, I could take some awesome shots if I could get god mode on, neither the ~ key nor F12 open it even though I have it set up right.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Reive posted:

This is great.

I can't get the console to open though, I could take some awesome shots if I could get god mode on, neither the ~ key nor F12 open it even though I have it set up right.
-developer -developerkeys -screenshot always worked for me, with F12 opening the console, but I haven't tried it in a long time. And I might be thinking about Max Payne 1 with that.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I get that GTAIV had a troubled release on the PC in terms of some performance issues. It's important to keep in mind however that at the time people were expecting to play an xbox 360 game on mid-range pc hardware; not an easy task. I don't think dual cores even had the mainstream foothold yet, and GTA4 was optimized for three cores and then ported to PC.

Now I have a 3.8ghz 6-core processor and overclocked hd 6850 and it's 2012. I'm not saying my computer is going to be the best at playing the game, but considering that this time they've built it separately from the console version AND it's still basically only got to look as good as a console version (where consoles are really starting to lag behind PC now they've been out for a few years) I'm pretty confident that I'm not going to run into poor performance for this game unless they LA Noire it, and I didn't stop playing that game because of performance but because it was boring as hell.

If I can run skyrim at max settings and have it destroy my friend's ps3 version in terms of performance, it would be really hosed up if the same weren't true for this game. And I do mean really hosed up, they would have to drop the ball pretty hard and I don't think Rockstar, with the PC trouble they've had in years past, is stupid enough to do it yet again.

This post is essentially me crossing my fingers until the end of the month . Has there been any info on when steam users can start to preload?

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Also keeping in mind that GTA IV was simulating the AI for lots of pedestrians and all of the traffic and streaming a large city. I imagine Max Payne won't have so much to process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Definitely not buying until the price drops a little. The amount of withheld content is egregious. Also I'd really like to know what pushed them to 35GB from 9GB on the XBox; there's no way it's all texture data.

seregrail7 posted:

Also keeping in mind that GTA IV was simulating the AI for lots of pedestrians and all of the traffic and streaming a large city. I imagine Max Payne won't have so much to process.
If you can do that on a console there's not excuse for it not working on a top-of-the-line PC.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 16:56

«119 »