Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

Plugged this sucker back in after discovering I had never really played it. The Sowers are hated? I love these guys! I can expand anywhere, everywhere, really really fast!

They used to be pretty terrible but through updates they've become viable. These days The Harmony are the crap faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harmony seem…kinda gimmicky, yeah. Though interesting if you want a challenge, I suppose. Happiness-ignoring seems pretty sweet, though, reminds me of the old morale-proof race from MOO2.

My big problem with this game is there doesn't seem to be a good at-a-glance way to determine the relative strengths of your forces to the enemy until it's time for your two fleets to clash. (My second-biggest problem is there's not much visual represenation of all the stuff you're building on your planets--just having big colored circles around your systems doesn't quite do it for me). And my third-biggest problem is there isn't a proper lore-a-pedia built into the game. Still, not bad.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

My big problem with this game is there doesn't seem to be a good at-a-glance way to determine the relative strengths of your forces to the enemy until it's time for your two fleets to clash.

I'm pretty sure that's intentional, since there actually is a way to view fleet compositions but you have to go out of your way to do so- there's a specific military building, I forget the name but it's a spy satellite of some kind, that lets you look at the composition of fleets in orbit around that system. AFAIK there's no way to do so at range, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahah, so, one way you get around being unable to purchase stuff as Harmony initially is parking a bunch of ships orbiting around your new system--it gets extra FIDS (or FIS anyway) and that's enough extra gears and food to help new colonies grow a bit.

Also colonies that have been completely de-dusted get their name highlighted in white. Nice.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Just resurrecting this to chime in after months and months how disappointed I am this game is still broken fundamentally. I was REALLY hoping to come back to this thread and see things improved, but gently caress. Why is it so hard to find games like this that don't suck? Why?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endless space had some really good ideas about streamlining a 4x game and it was basically ruined with how rubbish the combat is and how terrible the AI is.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Have you tried Distant Worlds Universe?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
So I just started playing Sins of A Solar Empire after getting it on a steam sale and it sort of reminds me of a more fun to play endless space.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Lorini posted:

Have you tried Distant Worlds Universe?

I just recently even heard about Distant Worlds, so I'm going to look into that, but admittedly, my first though seeing the screenshots was that I prefer Endless Space's graphics a lot. Distant Worlds looks a lot more low budget at first glimpse. It's really good?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

AwkwardKnob posted:

I just recently even heard about Distant Worlds, so I'm going to look into that, but admittedly, my first though seeing the screenshots was that I prefer Endless Space's graphics a lot. Distant Worlds looks a lot more low budget at first glimpse. It's really good?

It's the best space 4x on the market right now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Endless space had some really good ideas about streamlining a 4x game and it was basically ruined with how rubbish the combat is and how terrible the AI is.

I'm not sure what it was, but the combat update that split invasion and space strength broke whatever metric the ai uses to make fleets. I remember one time my game crashed every other turn because it couldn't handle the seventy six invasion fleets hammering one planet.

The ai also gets to act concurrently with you, letting it shuffle fleets around so you can never actually attack what you want.

It was a much better game before disharmony.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

It's looking like I'll probably wind up waiting for that new Civilization game to come out. Alpha Centauri held my attention for years, and hopefully this new one will have the same kind of magic.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I really want to like this game, I really do. I can get over how ridiculous the combat system is or how convoluted the tech system is, but the lack of any race representation kills ES for me. Like I'll pick a race thinking, "Giant telepathic space amoebas? Sounds cool!" And then I'll start the game and all I'll ever see is a bunch of circles connected by lines. Or I'll encounter a race and think, "Clone army? That's crazy," and the only thing I'll see of them is a holographic portrait in the diplomacy menu. No racial events, no interesting diplomatic dialogue, no flavor at all (besides planets).

Am I just missing all the fluff or is this really all ES has to offer?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The races in Distant Worlds Universe are one of the strongest points of the game. I do buy nearly every space game out there and I didn't find much to like in Endless Space. I should note though that I actually like my space games more abstract/fewer graphics, as space itself as we see it is pretty abstract. I don't have any issues with Distant Worlds or Sins of a Solar Empire lack of graphics either. SoSE is a good game, just not as interesting and customizable as DW.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Lorini posted:

The races in Distant Worlds Universe are one of the strongest points of the game. I do buy nearly every space game out there and I didn't find much to like in Endless Space. I should note though that I actually like my space games more abstract/fewer graphics, as space itself as we see it is pretty abstract. I don't have any issues with Distant Worlds or Sins of a Solar Empire lack of graphics either. SoSE is a good game, just not as interesting and customizable as DW.

Yeah I just watched a video of DW and it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. At first it looked overly complicated and obtuse, but seeing how automated and hands-off (to your specifications) the game is makes it that much sweeter. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got this ages ago, and played a few games, and then when the sale came about I meant to grab the expansion. It says I have it, but the Harmony faction isn't available to play.

Looking at the images on steam, Endless Legend reminds me of opening animation from Game of Thrones.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

causticBeet posted:

So I just started playing Sins of A Solar Empire after getting it on a steam sale and it sort of reminds me of a more fun to play endless space.
SoaSE is an RTS though, I find it hard to compare them other than "they are both space-based games".

nutranurse posted:

It's the best space 4x on the market right now.
Is there an SA thread for it? I glanced through games and did a search but didnt see one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

SoaSE is an RTS though, I find it hard to compare them other than "they are both space-based games".

Is there an SA thread for it? I glanced through games and did a search but didnt see one.

Distant Worlds thread.

DW is also an RTS, I thought we were talking about 4x, not necessarily turn based 4x. Both games are pausable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I really want to like this game, I really do. I can get over how ridiculous the combat system is or how convoluted the tech system is, but the lack of any race representation kills ES for me. Like I'll pick a race thinking, "Giant telepathic space amoebas? Sounds cool!" And then I'll start the game and all I'll ever see is a bunch of circles connected by lines. Or I'll encounter a race and think, "Clone army? That's crazy," and the only thing I'll see of them is a holographic portrait in the diplomacy menu. No racial events, no interesting diplomatic dialogue, no flavor at all (besides planets).

Am I just missing all the fluff or is this really all ES has to offer?

God, this is exactly how I feel. Maybe if they ever make an ES 2 they can remedy this. Just a Civ V-style leader screen would help immensely.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lorini posted:

Distant Worlds thread.

DW is also an RTS, I thought we were talking about 4x, not necessarily turn based 4x. Both games are pausable.

Thanks! We may have been talking about 4x in general, I just dont see SoaSE as a 4x because I am one of those "I want a 201x version of MoO/MoO2" sycophants that believes the MoO games are The One True Space 4x.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Thanks! We may have been talking about 4x in general, I just dont see SoaSE as a 4x because I am one of those "I want a 201x version of MoO/MoO2" sycophants that believes the MoO games are The One True Space 4x.

Distant Worlds is pretty close. The main thing that reminds me of MOO is the races are fully fleshed out and behave in a way that is both challenging and rational. The Tech trees aren't bad, you can't research everything, but at least everything is available to research, unlike Swords of the Stars 1. The ship design is more complex, sometimes I think I'm missing a physics degree to do it well, but the AI designed ships are serviceable at least. I like the private sector economy addition, it really makes the game seem like a world that could happen in the future.

Now that they have it on Steam finally, maybe in a few years they'll even do a demo and that'll help a lot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lorini posted:

Distant Worlds is pretty close. The main thing that reminds me of MOO is the races are fully fleshed out and behave in a way that is both challenging and rational. The Tech trees aren't bad, you can't research everything, but at least everything is available to research, unlike Swords of the Stars 1. The ship design is more complex, sometimes I think I'm missing a physics degree to do it well, but the AI designed ships are serviceable at least. I like the private sector economy addition, it really makes the game seem like a world that could happen in the future.

Now that they have it on Steam finally, maybe in a few years they'll even do a demo and that'll help a lot.

Awesome. I think I may have glanced at the game a couple years ago but didnt ever buy it or anything; if it is on steam, has those features, and is actively being supported, I may have to take a gander. Thanks again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They have released three patches in the 6 weeks it's been on Steam and it's been out for a number of years, so they are actively supporting it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lorini posted:

They have released three patches in the 6 weeks it's been on Steam and it's been out for a number of years, so they are actively supporting it.

:syoon: Thank you sir. Now I am going to go dive into that thread and end up spending money on a game I do not currently have time to play :v:.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know this must be a bit out of the blue and probably it has been brought up a number of times; but I recently got this game during the summer sale and I'm finding it outrageously unintuitive - it's a real slog to find out what the hell you have to research to get to do things - it I had to go online repeatedly to find out how to go through wormholes (or indeed to understand what the hell the wavey lines between planets were); how to correctly manage and create new ships, to find out (much to my extreme disgust) that 'terraform barren' doesn't actually mean 'terraform barren planets to something else', but rather terraform an existing planter into a barren world.

I just found out now that when I try to look up 'command points' on the research tree, I can;t find anything, so I've had to look up online AGAIN; I have no idea how to engage indiplomacy... I want to like this game, but it isn't making it easy to engage at all. Is there some kind of deifinitive guide that actually details WHAT each technology does without the bullshit lore? Lore is all fine and good; but it isn't fun when you are trying to find out why you can't have more than 4 ships in a fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Speedball posted:

Plugged this sucker back in after discovering I had never really played it. The Sowers are hated? I love these guys! I can expand anywhere, everywhere, really really fast!

I reinstalled this the other day and am playing a custom Horatio faction (Horatio affinity, Cloning 3, Crowded Planets 2, Optimistic 2, Endless War IIRC) called Guy. The mental image of the universe crawling with guys named Guy is funny as hell to me, and the Horatio hero-cloning bonus combined with huge food/pop growth makes expansion really easy.

I guess I'm not seeing all the shallowness yet, but then again I have basically no idea what I'm doing anyway...

• Locked thread