Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«210 »
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

BETA WEEKEND

A Tartan Tory posted:

Can we please, please agree to never go Aldmeri? Thanks in advance.

When?
Friday, February 28th at 12:00PM EST until Sunday, March 2nd at 11:59PM EST.

How do I get in on this beta goodness?
If you've been in on previous beta weekends your account is already good to go. Just log in and play.

If you have not participated in previous beta weekends but received a beta key, go to account.elderscrollsonline.com, create an account and apply the beta key to said fancy new account.

If you do not have a beta key, keep an eye on the thread. If this round is anything like the last stress test, goons will be giving up their keys in droves. You should signup for the beta if you can't get your hands on a key.

How can I play with goons?
UoI set up a guild called "Nerds of Prey" – post your name in the thread for an invite. The guild is not faction specific, anyone can join. You should also probably get in IRC and/or the CTS mumble.

Third World Reggin posted:

Since we can join 5 guilds, it doesn't hurt to get another guild going. Nerds of Prey is the guild we have on ebonheart. I'm going to make one one Covenant called Daggerfall Goons.

You can and should join both.

Third World Reggin posted:

Also to get into the guild I need your @name. You can send a message to @Grithok and I can invite that way. I set permissions so anyone in the guild can invite.

I am too lazy to read this outdated OP and the hundred and whatever pages of this thread. What should I expect?

I do not blame you. For goon reviews of combat and the game in general during the first stress test weekend, I'd suggest you start reading around this post until the reviews peter out.

Or read goon opinions of the second stress test here.

To participate in the inevitable and shameful "I read the terrible reviews and bought the game anyways" support group, please see the most recent page in the thread.

DISCUSS THIS GAME, YOUR HOPES, DREAMS AND AMBITIONS HERE:

IRC
#teso on irc.synirc.org

Steam group
TES Goons

wow

so pvp

much wing

concern

DECEMBER 11, 2013 – Release date announced + video
ESO will release on April 4, 2014. Zenimax also released a new video (where those gifs above come from)

AUGUST 2, 2013 – QuakeCon Livestream
Watch the archived livestream here

JUNE 10, 2013 – E3 Announcement
E3 2013: The Elder Scrolls Online will land on the PS4 and Xbox One - Massively – It was announced at E3 that ESO will be released on both the Xbox One and the PS4 in addition to PC and Mac, however the launch date has been pushed back to spring 2014. Also a new trailer with a few quick gameplay shots.

MARCH 19, 2013 – A plethora of new information
A slew of new articles have been published today after Zenimax gave a bunch of press-folk a chance to do a hands on. Notably:
Hands-on with The Elder Scrolls Online - Massively
The Elder Scrolls Online Preview - Mud Crabs & Joe DiMaggio - The Escapist
The Elder Scrolls Online hands-on: first-person mode, skills, stealth and more - PC Gamer
The Elder Scrolls Online Just Might Be Awesome - IGN

New details:
- After completing lvl 1-50 in your faction's zones, you can pick a second faction and play through all their content on your same character. Then once you complete that, you can do it all over again with the final faction.
- You will see your hands in first-person (Source)
- Classes sound like they have less of an impact on the game than you might expect based on several reviews.

MARCH 8, 2013 – Playable demo at PAX East
Play ESO at PAX East! - Exactly what the title says. If you're going to be at PAX East take a video or something to share with the rest of us!

MARCH 1, 2013 – Beta questions answered on TESO official site
Your Beta Questions Answered - The TESO team answers some questions about the beta. Most notably, "Invitations to the general public for the first round of beta events will be sent around the end of March."

FEBRUARY 18, 2013 – Digital Spy interview with Matt Firor
'Elder Scrolls Online' interview: The beta, first person and Skyrim - Matt Firor answers some questions about game setting, first- vs. third-person perspective, social interactions, PvP, etc.

FEBRUARY 11, 2013 – Elder Scrolls Food Truck
Official Site – Join Us on Our Food Truck Tour - An ESO food truck (yes, a food truck) will be making the rounds at various upcoming conventions and college campuses throughout the year, from March to October. Schedule is available here.

JANUARY 30, 2013 – New details from PA Report interview with Matt Firor
PA Report – Elder Scrolls Online’s game director explains how you’ll be a standout badass among badasses - A new piece of information in this article: the main storyline is "100% solo and instanced, so that you never see other players while doing it." You'll also be spending some time in Coldharbour, Molag Bal's personal slice of Oblivion.

JANUARY 23, 2013 – Beta Signups!
Click here to sign up. It'll request your dxdiag and/or OS X info, so do it from your preferred gaming computer. Put Goon Squad in as your guild and Somethingawful.com for your website. Maybe we'll get in quicker!

The Elder Scrolls Online is a MMO currently being developed by ZeniMax Online, part of the ZeniMax Media group which includes a bunch of folks you've heard of before (Bethesda being the most obvious and notable). This is ZeniMax Online's first game, but their team is full of veteran devs from various other MMOs. The development team is headed up by Matt Firor, of DAOC fame.

While the game will obviously quite a bit different than previous games in the TES series, ZeniMax Online is doing their best to make sure that it still feels like an Elder Scrolls game. The game features many of the gameplay staples you've come to know and love from the series (stamina/mana driven combat, sneaking, sprinting, all your favorite NPC guilds, etc), but diverges in how these staples are applied. For example, while we still don't have a real good idea of how it works, combat is not exactly like combat in Skyrim – it's a little more mmo-ey.

While no exact date has been set, they're currently shooting for an 2013 spring 2014 April 4, 2014 release for both PC and Mac platforms, and June, 2014 for the PS4 and Xbox One.

At the time of writing, a large amount of media regarding the game has been released, however little of it contains the hard data MMO players like to read about (eg. specific skills, stats, numbers, etc). It's all still pretty general. More information will be added to this post as it becomes available. Unless I start getting lazy.

As of January 23, 2012, you can apply for a spot in the beta by visiting signup.elderscrollsonline.com. It is unknown when the beta will begin, however in a blog post on the official TESO site it was stated that invites will be sent out towards the end of March, 2013. (Source)

The signup form features an amusing progress bar that tells you what your chances of getting in are based on your responses. Fill everything out and you'll get "excellent." It'll also request your dxdiag and/or OS X system info, so do it from your preferred gaming computer. Put Goon Squad in as your guild and Somethingawful.com for your website. Maybe we'll get in quicker!

No goon guilds have appeared as of yet, but this will most likely change as we get closer to the beta. For the time being if you'd like to geek out about TES with your goon pals, you can join the TES Goons Steam group.

If you'd like your guild information added to the OP either post it in the thread or send me info in a PM.

RELATED MEDIA:
The Elder Scrolls Online Loremaster Discusses the Alliance War – Official video

"It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom." – Official website

TESO takes place around the year 578 of the Second Era (2E 578), which is roughly a millenium before the events in Skyrim. To see how this fits into existing lore, check out this timeline. This is far, far in advance of previous TES games, as Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all take place in the Fourth Era.

The plot of TESO revolves around the rise of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement (aka Sauron). His minions are attempting to weaken the barrier between worlds, "threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape" which sounds pretty crappy if you ask me.

Without a strong central empire, three separate alliances vie for control of Imperial City. These are the three main playable factions in the game (a la DAOC) – the Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant and the Ebonheart Pact. Each alliance has three races and occupies a specific part of the world. Which all just goes to show that people are idiots because hey, there's a drat daedric invasion going on, guys. Chill the gently caress out with this war poo poo.

You play a character whose soul has been stolen by Molag Bal. You may or may not start in a prison, however I can almost guarantee you there will be handcuffs involved somehow.

Like I said, there are three main alliances (playable factions), in TESO – the Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant and the Ebonheart Pact. Each faction is at war with the other two.

RELATED MEDIA:
Alliances Cinematic Trailer – wtf blue nerf rouges

SUGGESTED READING:
Alliances – Official TESO website

Queen Ayrenn, ruler of the the Aldmeri Dominion, is a 28 year old High Elf who claims not to hate the races of Man, but would really rather they back the gently caress off. From the Altmer throne at Summerset she rules over an alliance of High Elves, Wood Elves and Khajiit.

High Elves (aka Altmer) – "The High Elves, or Altmer, arrived in Tamriel thousands of years ago from Old Aldmeris. They see themselves, perhaps justifiably, as the ruling race of Tamriel... They are powerful mages and warriors, and the de facto leaders of the Aldmeri Dominion." Also they're a bunch of pointy eared dicks who are fun to kill in Skyrim. Just sayin'.

Wood Elves (aka Bosmer) – "The Wood Elves, or Bosmer, are mischievous, curious and nimble. Because their homeland of Valenwood is often attacked by the Colovian Imperials, Wood Elves are experts at the art of defense." The capital of the Aldmeri Dominion, Elden Root, also happens to exist right in the middle of the Bosmer homeland.

Khajiit (aka the Furry Race) – They're cats. Unfortunately they all got feline lukemia recently (or rather the "Knahaten Flu"), so there ain't many of them left. Queen Ayrenn did them a solid by helping them recover after the plague. But really all you need to know is that they're cats.

High King Emeric is just a dude trying to get poo poo done. A Breton, ruling from Wayrest in High Rock, he seeks to take control of the Ruby Throne by uniting the Bretons and Orcs through shrewd diplomacy, and the Redguards through crafty marriage arrangements.

Bretons – Once ruled by the High Elves, the Bretons are the most magically-attuned of the human races. "Passionate and flamboyant, intelligent and resourceful, the Bretons are renowned and talented craftsmen, shrewd merchants, gallant cavaliers, and inventive wizards." They're also the ugliest humans in pretty much every TES game.

Redguard – Hailing from Hammerfell and the sands of the Alik'r Desert, the Redguards are a desert people and make for fantastic warriors. "Their culture is based on preserving ancient traditions and defying their harsh environment. They prize honor and dignity above all else, combining a deep reverence for the divine with a suspicion of all things magical." Never trust a wizard!

Orc - Also known as the Race With The Most Dental Problems, Orcs are some of the fiercest warriors and greatest smiths in all of Tamriel. Hailing from the kingdom of Orsinium, "orcs live under a simple code of honor by which the strong survive and the strongest rule." They're orcs. You've seen them in every fantasty game ever made.

Voted Most Likely to Rule Over Weird Elves and Lizard People in his high school year book, Jorunn, High King of the Great Moot rules over the races making up the Ebonheart Pact. His sense of humor probably comes in handy as this alliance has a lot of bad blood – Nords and Dark Elves aren't the best of bros, and Argonians were enslaved by the Dark Elves for thousands of years (because we thought they were just big iguanas, okay? jeez)

Nord - Also known as "that guy I played in Skyrim," Nords have at one point or another conquered most parts of Tamriel. "The Nords are excellent with arms. They are quick to anger, boisterous, and strong. They are natural-born warriors who fight with an ecstatic ferocity that terrifies their enemies." They hail from the land of Skyrim, which I hear is very cold this time of year.

Dark Elves (aka the Dunmer) – A deeply intelligent and magical race hailing from Morrowind, the Dark Elves are best known for having hosed up red eyes and dark gray skin. Their homeland has been invaded over and over again by the Akaviri and the Nords, but it's chill, bro. They're willing to roll with it

Argonians – They're lizards. From the swamps of Black Marsh, Argonians "are possessed of a cool intellect, and are well-versed in the magical arts, stealth, and the use of blades. They are also guerilla warfare experts, long accustomed to defending their borders from invaders." They'll also pick your pockets and poision you for good measure.

Currently it sounds like there are going to be four classes at launch: Dragonknight (Dragon Knight?), Templar, Sorcerer and Nightblade. However unlike most MMOs but like previous TES games, every class can wear every type of armor and weild every type of weapon. While there are surely some combinations which are better than others, the practical implication of this is that changing your gear will change the way your class plays. For example, a Dragon Knight in heavy armor with melee weapons will play like a tank, while (supposedly) the same class in light armor will have a bit sneakier of a playstyle.

"But I want to be a sword n' board battlemage archer just like every character I've ever made in previous TES games!" It sounds like you can, to a certain degree. While certain abilities are innate to your class, a large number (weapons, armor at least, probably stealth) are shared across all classes. From a Massively hands on: "For my Sorcerer, I could unlock abilities in the Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning, and Storm Calling trees. Armor skills were broken down into light, medium, and heavy paths, while two-handed, hand and shield, dual wield, bow, destruction staff, and restoration staff were the options available to the weapon skill line. I was told that there will be at least 15 different skill lines available in ESO including abilities that are learned for joining either the mage's or fighter's guild. The devs also teased that players can unlock a vampire tree in the world skill line, but naturally, they want players to discover how to do this on their own." So there's your sword n' board battlemage archer.

Each class has several "Ultimate" skills which they learn at various points throughout the game. You can only have one Ultimate skill bound at a time (to the 6 key), so this will may have a big impact on what sort of role you want to play in a group, and/or how you choose to play solo.

Here's a little more info about the classes we know anything about :

SUGGESTED READING:
On Fire with the Dragon Knight – mmorpg.com – A hands on description of various skills and play style

Dragon Knights are a mixed class that makes use of either heavy or light armor, melee or ranged weapons, with a healthy dose of fire-related magic thrown in for good measure. Skills include some normal ones you'd expect like "Slam" which stuns/interrupts/knocks down enemies, but also some more dragon-ey feeling ones such as "Fiery Reach" which is a bit like the Deathknight's pull from WoW. They also make use of flame armors. Dragon Armor, and early Ultimate skill, lights your character on fire and turns your skin to molten rock and lava, and applies large DOT damage to nearby enemies.

SUGGESTED READING:
The Templar Experience – mmorpg.com

Templars sound a bit like the TESO equivalent of a paladin from other games. Weilding two handed weapons and wearing heavy armor, they draw power from the sun like Superman to both deal damage and heal themselves and allies. Skills include basic magic attacks like "Sun Strike" (which sounds like it just does extra damage), ranged, fireball-like attacks like "Sun Fire" and various heals. Handily, healing is not restricted to only your party members, so you can easily heal random nearby players by simply activating a healing spell such as "Rushed Ceremony" as long as you're in range.

Of course you won't do this because you're an rear end in a top hat goon. Thanks a lot.

Sorcerer - A new class that was just announced and I haven't had a chance to write about it yet! I'll write about it when they actually release solid information.

Nightblade - A new class that was just announced and I haven't had a chance to write about it yet! I'll write about it when they actually release solid information.

SUGGESTED READING:
Massively's hands-on with TESO - massively.joystiq.com – A great hands-on with lots of info

According to various sources, while this game isn't exactly like the previous Elder Scrolls games we all know and love, it comes very, very close. According to early reviews, the game world feels like a TES game, controls are similar, but the differences mostly start to appear in combat.

Combat in TESO has both many similarities and many differences compared to previous Elder Scrolls games. The controls are familiar – WASD to move your character, left mouse hits things, holding the left mouse hits things hard, right mouse raises your shield, you use stamina to perform skills, magic to cast spells, shift to sprint, etc etc.

However based on reviews, it sounds like that's where the similarities end. TESO features a hotbar with 6 keys (think of GW2's hotbar) which you can fill with five normal skills and one "Ultimate" skill. You attack a mob or player by placing your targeting reticle over a valid target (eg. point your mouse at it and be in range) and then clicking a mouse button or hitting a hotkey, which sounds like what you'd expect. However the biggest qualm folks have expressed about combat is that there is no collision detection. The combat is basically classic WoW style combat dressed up as TES combat. While it is certainly more interesting than clicking a mob and then lazily standing around spamming 1-5 on your keyboard, it still manages to feel like it.

During each fight you build finesse points by performing well in combat. For example, if you block an enemy's attack to make him stagger and then perform a power attack, you will gain finess. Finess points play several roles. First and most simply, finess points are consumed when you use an Ultimate skill, encouraging players to save up a certain amount to use their "oh poo poo" key every once in awhile. Finess points also grant you an experience boost at the end of a fight if you did well, and if you did really well, you might also get a chest with some fancy new gear.

Like many other modern MMOs, the tank/healer/damage trinity is gone from group play. Each player should have the ability to heal or protect themeselves, however you'll still have the ability to shield / heal other players. Additionally, TESO will include a group combo system in the form of "synergy abilities." In an interview with Paul Sage (Creative Director), it was described thusly: "Those abilities are special abilities where one player casts it, and another player can augment it. The system is incredibly simple and is not meant to be a timing puzzle. As long as the player is aware of what is going on around him or her, then it is as easy as walking into a specific area and pressing a key." (examiner.com). For example, a rogue character might drop an oil slick which a mage could then set on fire for extra damage and finesse.

TESO also takes steps to encourage non-grouped players to help each other in combat by eliminating antiquated mmo tropes like kill stealing. In an interview, Matt Firor mentioned that "In ESO, we want players to help one another - so any time you come across another player in trouble, you can help kill his enemy, and both of you will get fully rewarded."

Based on what I've read, it sounds like questing is where TESO really shines. Like previous games in the TES series, in addition to a ton of side quests you'll also have your main storyline missions which involve Molag Bal trying to pull Tamriel into Oblivion. In an interview with the PA Report, Matt Firor stated that the main story quest is "100% solo and instanced, so that you never see other players while doing it." And again like previous games in the series, storyline quests will take you to weird, "what the hell is this place" zone: "As most of this story takes place in Coldharbour, Molag Bal’s plane of Oblivion, it feels natural that you alone - with other characters in the story - are standing up to the dark forces that are menacing Tamriel."

As far as side quests are concerned, while you'll still run into a few "bring me 10 bear buttes" missions now and then, ZeniMax promises this will not be the majority. According to early reports they're also trying very hard to avoid WoW-like quest hubs, where you just run around mindlessly clicking everyone with a ? over their head. You'll discover many quests simply by exploring the world, talking to various NPCs, and performing random actions.

Many quests also give you multiple ways of finishing them. For example, "A sorcerer made a deal with a hagraven that involved the hagraven's granting the sorcerer arcane knowledge under the condition that the sorcerer spend the rest of his (presumably unnaturally long) life with her. Surprising absolutely no one, the sorcerer tries to renege on his end of the deal, and it's up to the player to decide how things play out. Do you force the sorcerer to keep his part of the bargain or free him from the hagraven's bondage? Or maybe you just kill 'em both because you can't be bothered with such silly trifles." (Massively). The correct answer is to always, always kill them both.

The game also features world events sort of like what you see in Rift. Molag Bal will occasionally send Dark Anchors down to try to pull Tamriel into his domain. Like Rift, the more players involved in trying to destroy the Anchor and all the minions it's spawning, the more difficult it becomes, and theoretically the greater the rewards.

Quest-related phasing a la WoW is also said to be in-game.

SUGGESTED READING:
Elder Scrolls Online: How PVP allow players total control - guardian.co.uk - Part two of an interview with Matt Firor. Mostly focused on PvP.

There have been no hands-on with PvP yet, so most of the information we have is what ZeniMax has given us.

TESO will feature three faction, "open-world" PvP much like DAOC. I put open-world in qoutes because it's not entirely accurate, but it's what ZeniMax is saying. Basically it's a single large zone (Cyrodiil), which is like the RvR frontier in DAOC. You will not be able to cruise over to an enemy starting zone to stab newbies.

According to the developer the engine will be able to handle "hudreds of players" on screen at a time. The main PvP activity involves players trying to capture various areas in Cyrodiil for their faction, the ultimate goal being to capture the Imperial City. And one lucky individual on the winning side gets to be crowned Emperor, however there's little information on how this actually works and/or what the rewards are. Like DAOC, players will be able to battle over and hold towers and castles and various strategic resources like forts, farms and mines. Siege weapons and destructible terrain will play a role in these battles. In an interview Matt Firor stated that, "Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time."

Like other games, successful actions in PvP will provide you with points or currency of some kind which can be traded in for PvP specific skills, siege equipment, special gear, etc. Here's what Matt Firor said about it in an interview with the Guardian:

quote:

"Yes we have a PVP progression system that we haven't really talked about yet," says Firor. "And in beta we'll go further into this, but you get Alliance Points the more you PVP, you get more abilities, and in that sense it's similar to Camelot where we had Realm Points. In Camelot though we had 47 classes that were all different, and after a while it was much more difficult to balance than it should have been – so if we've learned anything in the 11 years since it's let the players create the characters they want, and balance from there."

More information will be inserted in this section when it's available. Please shoot me a PM if you have some good info!

Little information is availble on exploration at this time, however ZeniMax has claimed they're working very hard to replicate the same sort of rewarding experience you find in previous games in the series, and that it will play a large role in the game. While the compass makes a triumphant return by pointing out nearby landmarks much like in Oblivion and Skyrim, they've alluded to unmarked dungeons and shrines and whatnot, experience for finding things, etc.

The entire world is supposedly in the game, however certain areas will not be present or reachable at launch. "For instance the Nord stronghold at Windhelm is fully implemented, but Winterhold and the mages' college won't be in at launch."

Additionally, the world will most definitely be zoned. "Our world is divided into zones, and zones have borders which will have loading-times associated with them, though these borders and loads are kept to a minimum. The world is huge, and you will be able to explore anything in your alliance and in Cyrodiil, and many other places besides." (smh.com.au)

More information will be inserted in this section when it's available. Please shoot me a PM if you have some good info!

Unlike most Elder Scrolls games, you will not be able to fast travel to and from any destination at any time you please. Fast travel is restricted to Wayshrines, which also serve as resurrection points. Fast travel between Wayshrines is free. If you're out in the wilderness you can fast travel to any Wayshrine as long as you pay a fee and are not on a cooldown.

Mounts exist, however they're restricted by lore. So that means no flying mounts, at least at launch. Dragons weren't around during this period (correct me if I'm wrong), so you won't be riding Odahviing to Whiterun any time soon.

SUGGESTED READING: ZeniMax's Paul Sage on The Elder Scrolls Online's endgame, PvP, and crafting - Massively

There are five main crafting professions in TESO: "provisioner (cooking), weaponsmith, armorsmith, alchemy, and enchanting. Players will have a limited number of points to use toward crafting disciplines, so they will have to choose whether they will master one trade or become decent in all of them." (Source) In various hands on articles folks have mentioned that there's a discovery system much like Skyrim's, including the ability to add extra ingredients into recipes to add special effects to a potion or what have you.

Again, there is little information on factions and guilds at this point, however ZeniMax has confirmed that the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Fighter's Guild and Mages Guild will all be in-game, and that each guild will provide special skills the player can learn. It is unknown whether or not you'll be able to join other factions (such as vampires).

SUGGESTED READING:
Cracking Open Elder Scrolls Online - smh.com.au

Good news everyone! Do you hate the idea of individual servers or shards in MMOs? Then TESO has you covered with their Megaserver™. Basically this sounds like instancing, but on a massive scale. "The server software will also try to intelligently place you in the best version of the world without being asked, based on your guild membership and friends list," according to TESO's Creative Director, Paul Sage.

PC and Mac players will be together on one megaserver, while Xbox One and PS4 players will have their own distinct server(s?) according to a tweet.

Various stuff that I didn't know where else to put, but is worth knowing:

• Full voice acting.
• Mundus stones = basically the same thing as guardian stones and give you a "powerful permanent buff"
• No mention of mods, but considering its a MMO I think we can safely assume there will be none.

OFFICIAL PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS Most recent videos are listed first.
Gathering and Exploring - Staged gameplay with dev commentary.
Journey to Coldharbour - Pretty environments and dev commentary about the Molag Bal storyline.
The Elder Scrolls Online Loremaster Discusses the Alliance War - Their "loremaster" looks exactly like Michael Lonsdale.
An Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online - PR-interview mixed with gameplay

OFFICIAL TRAILERS
The Elder Scrolls Online - War in Cyrodiil (PVP trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcQCkJFsG0

The Elder Scrolls Online - E3 2013 Gameplay Trailer A bunch of environmental shots and some quick gameplay snippets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHj5VvFWbtE

Alliances Cinematic Trailer A very pretty trailer that's probably by Blur which focuses on the three alliances / PvP. Did I say it's very pretty?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0

JUST SHOW ME SOME GAMEPLAY VIDEOS ALREADY
O.K.

Dev Play Session -- ESO Group Content - Some polished gameplay from TESO devs
The Elder Scrolls Online | Gameplay Presentation - Livestream from QuakeCon

SCREENSHOTS

OFFICIAL
The Elder Scrolls Online Official Site

HANDS-ON
Hands-on with The Elder Scrolls Online - Massively - New as of March 19
The Elder Scrolls Online Preview - Mud Crabs & Joe DiMaggio - The Escapist - - New as of March 19
The Elder Scrolls Online hands-on: first-person mode, skills, stealth and more - PC Gamer - New as of March 19
The Elder Scrolls Online Just Might Be Awesome - IGN - New as of March 19
Massively's hands-on with TESO - Massively – A great hands-on with lots of info
On Fire with the Dragon Knight – mmorpg.com
The Templar Experience – mmorpg.com

INTERVIEWS
'Elder Scrolls Online' interview: The beta, first person and Skyrim – Digital Spy
Elder Scrolls Online’s game director explains how you’ll be a standout badass among badasses – PA Report
Elder Scrolls Online: How PVP allow players total control - guardian.co.uk - Part two of an interview with Matt Firor. Mostly focused on PvP.
Elder Scrolls Online set to prove (very) big is still beautiful - guardian.co.uk - Part one of an interview with Matt Firor. Some interesting tidbits about the megaserver, PvP, leveling, and some skills.
Cracking open Elder Scrolls Online – smh.com.au – Interview with Elder Scrolls Online's Creative Director, Paul Sage. Information about "the megaserver," PvP, and Aussie/NZ lag complaints (Paul swears it'll be cool, yo)

kedo fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 01:54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

"It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years,"
Sounds like they're pretty far along, will be interesting to see where they want to take the MMO genre.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I'm also curious to see where they go with this, as I've been playing The Elder Scrolls games since Arena.

I have my doubts though, I don't feel like Bethesda has any experience with the MMO genre, and as a company they haven't always been stellar about releasing timely bug-fixes which is kind of important in the MMO world.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I don't feel like Bethesda has any experience with the MMO genre, and as a company they haven't always been stellar about releasing timely bug-fixes which is kind of important in the MMO world.

Agreed. This is partially why I'm worried.

I'm also wondering how the gameplay is actually going to work. One of the big selling points (for me at least) for TES games is that I never really felt like there were invisible dice being rolled to determine the effectiveness of my actions. It was me swinging the sword, me casting the spell, me making an arrow pincushion out of a dead bear.

If TES:O has hotbars and click-to-select and all the other common crap you see in MMO's these days, I will be incredibly sad.

MrLonghair
Nov 2, 2004

GameBryo has evolved nicely over the years and this isn't Bethesda making the game, I wouldn't worry about anything but the possible direction it can take now that the parent companies and investors know how much polish and broken-poo poo-checking matters.

I'd worry about not getting to set foot in the beta instead. With Dominus gone I need a fix.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

They might be using Hero Engine.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne...php?story=16368

nopantsjack
Jan 7, 2008
A man about town looking for the fight of his life.

Harabeck posted:

They might be using Hero Engine.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne...php?story=16368

Came to post this, im so sorry everyone we can write this one off already.
Hero engine makes themepark mmos super easy to make yay!

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

The One Who Knocks

I don't even know. Words can't describe how I feel about this. I'm just so god drat skeptical. I love the Elder Scrolls games to death and Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, but I don't trust those people with an MMO.

Especially with the recent success of Skyrim, ZeniMax comes off to me as a "We want cawadooty money" kind of company. If you told me 6 years ago that there would be a Elder Scrolls MMO I probably would've came in my pants on the spot. Today my pants remain quite parched.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

nopantsjack posted:

Came to post this, im so sorry everyone we can write this one off already.
Hero engine makes themepark mmos super easy to make yay!
Isn't the Hero engine a big part of why TOR sucks or something? I remember people in the TOR threads talking about it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm really curious as to what the factions will be. Aldmeri / Empire would make sense, but what would be the third? Daedra perhaps? PLAYABLE DAEDRA? That's insanity, says I.

\/\/ Fuckin' totally. The fact that they have people from DAOC working on it makes me very happy, as honestly I (and most people who played it) still consider it to be the high water mark for PVP in any mmo.

kedo fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 17:26

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sold me at 3 faction pvp. Ill buy it just to support companies that move away from this stupid 1v1 faction crap.

Cicero posted:

Isn't the Hero engine a big part of why TOR sucks or something? I remember people in the TOR threads talking about it.

I think the problem with the Hero Engine in SWTOR is they built the game with an old poo poo form of the Hero engine. The Engine is still poo poo I think (Don't think they work with more than one core very well still) but hopefully they have a better version, I dunno. It will probably be absolute garbage but whatever time will tell.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 17:27

MrLonghair
Nov 2, 2004

Cicero posted:

Bioware Austin bought an alpha version of the Hero engine and that gave them most of their problems, including performance with lots of people around. The full version of the hero engine I can personally confirm managed heavy situations well, even pre-optimization, however; The engine is not ready for use unless you're ready to buy it once and re-write just about everything to suit your needs, and you have the budget to have a hundred techs slaving at it every day to figure it out.

I think that's just a random article from 2007 from when a bunch of developers got into the engine just to check it out, it happens.

(The Hero Engine still has no multicore support; another reason why they won't take it for this. They're more intelligent than that.)
(Wait, unless they've actually worked on it since then like the rumors say. They should have at least dual core support running for it with that budget, and optimizations out the nose. But I still don't think it's going to be unlike the MMOs we know in gameplay.)

kaempfer0080 posted:

I don't even know. Words can't describe how I feel about this. I'm just so god drat skeptical. I love the Elder Scrolls games to death and Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, but I don't trust those people with an MMO.

We don't even know who "those people" are or what they've worked on in the past. We know they're not Bethesda.

Kudos for being another Morrowind lover, for that's what I'd like out of this. I dug Skyrim, felt kinda off with Oblivion quickly, but Morrowind never ceases to be the actual Best Game of the lot in my book. Even unmodded I can play it all over again, and still find new things.

MrLonghair fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 17:42

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

A Conservative is a fellow who is standing athwart history yelling "Stop!"

Cicero posted:

I think it's more accurate to say that Bioware's extensive modification of the base Hero Engine sucks - additionally, I think a lot of hate for what they built with the engine is being laid at the feet of the engine itself. Quite a few people have lauded Simutronics and the Hero Engine in the past, so I think it's a bit rash to outright say that the engine blows based on one product.

I mean, look at UE3 - there are some absolutely fantastic games built with that engine that capitalize on its strengths and effectively mitigate its weaknesses, and some that outright suck rear end.

Nostrum
Jul 26, 2005

Cicero posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Hero engine. Its stated design goal is to enable rapid content development. The corollary to this is that it enables LAZY developers/producers (e.g. the Rich Vogels of the world) to rapidly develop boring, uncreative content.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

Come daddy, I'll show you the end-game!

Looking forward to finding out the game is more theme park 'let's copy WoW' stuff like every other big name MMORPG released since 2004.

I want to believe it'll basically be "Elder Scrolls except WITH OTHER PEOPLE," because that would be awesome as hell, but I know that's not going to happen.

Also I really wouldn't worry so much about the engine as much as the direction. Even though TOR had problems with the Hero engine i'm sure people would've been able to look past them if it wasn't so generic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm pretty positive about this. It could be really good with everything it has behind it, but competing in the fantasy mmo genre is obviously going to be a struggle.

Good on them for having a Mac version out of the gate too. Most companies are too stupid to realize how important Mac support is.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

There have been a lot of good people working on this project for a long time, I have only the highest of hopes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

I never asked for this! I do not want this! I need my mods!

Eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Disco Lovin' Barney

Well, if for no other reason, the 3 faction PvP has me sold. I know they can design a world, and I know they can make it interesting, so long as the gameplay itself is decent it looks like we have a pretty drat good MMO coming up.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

[ASK] ME ABOUT BEING
A BIG, FAT BLOB.

Fatty fatty bum bum, that's me!

Welp, gonna have no life in 2013 too I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

This isn't an instant write-off for me. It's not being made by Bethesda so the "I don't trust them with an MMO" stuff doesn't make much sense to me. And it sounds like they might be copying GW2's WvWvW stuff, and that honestly needs to be copied by any game with world PvP.

the least weasel
May 10, 2005

aaag petals

This is not a game franchise that required an MMO.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

I am extremely apprehensive about this.

1) The Oblivion Crisis is absolutely the last storyline I would want to revisit.
2) Using any past era stories predetermines the ultimate outcome of the plot.
3) With Bethesda not involved, is it really The Elder Scrolls? Who's writing the lore and can they match the depth and imagination of previous entries?
4) Subscription based? Freemium? Region Locked?

If you told me that Bethesda was making an ES MMO, using the Skyrim engine, I think I would still be a little hesitant about it. But, I would seriously love to think about the possibilities. This, this just scares me.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

The One Who Knocks

MrLonghair posted:

Kudos for being another Morrowind lover, for that's what I'd like out of this. I dug Skyrim, felt kinda off with Oblivion quickly, but Morrowind never ceases to be the actual Best Game of the lot in my book. Even unmodded I can play it all over again, and still find new things.

Hell yeah. I don't know how many hours I've put into that game but it's been way too many. I play through it every year and always find something new to do. If they made Morrowind Online they could take all my money.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Apple Craft posted:

Not when CHIM is involved

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

The One Who Knocks

Apple Craft posted:

1) The Oblivion Crisis is absolutely the last storyline I would want to revisit.

Agreed. Oblivion(the realm) was so poorly done that it has tainted the whole idea for me. Part of me thinks it could use a redemption, but most of me just never wants to go through that again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

Apple Craft posted:

Luckily you wont! The MMO will be set 800 years before the Oblivion Crisis. This whole Molag Bal thing is entirely different.

Eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Disco Lovin' Barney

Apple Craft posted:

I am extremely apprehensive about this.

I don't really understand this. If you mean that ultimately there are things that occur that are precursors, at least tangentially, to games set in the 'future,' then sure. I still don't see what major plot points they leave open that having a game set hundreds of years prior would suddenly spoil without a doubt.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

3) With Bethesda not involved, is it really The Elder Scrolls? Who's writing the lore and can they match the depth and imagination of previous entries?
Surely they have the original guy writing the lore.

quote:

If you told me that Bethesda was making an ES MMO, using the Skyrim engine, I think I would still be a little hesitant about it. But, I would seriously love to think about the possibilities. This, this just scares me.

An MMO using the Skyrim engine would be horrifying. It's specifically designed for single player. As pretty as it is, it would never work with an MMO.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

i guess i
was
wrong
he's the
money
guy

I love the tes games, but i just cannot imagine this ending well. Oh well, putting this thread on my list to watch. I guess we'll see soon!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So it's pretty clear that the logo is making reference to the three playable factions (a sort of ouroboros – three animals consuming each other)... I'm wondering if any of you TES-lore-savvy individuals might know what they represent?

Dragon I'm assuming is the empire. I'm not sure about the other two off the top of my head... a lion and an eagle? I'm terrible with game lore.

edit: I take it back – dragon probably isn't the empire b/c Tiber Septim wasn't even alive yet. Akaviri probably makes a lot more sense.

kedo fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 20:02

MrLonghair
Nov 2, 2004

If the rumors from 06 and on turn out to be true then they may very well be using the Hero engine. While they've got the budget to make it not blow chunks, that's a helluva old engine for a 2013 release. Certainly it's the gameplay and setting and all that matters, and not having to gather 20 salty orc dicks, but we will see.

the least weasel posted:

This is not a game franchise that required an MMO.

True, but would it hurt the franchise? It hasn't even got the main team working on it.

Mass Effect doesn't require online action, but I would love a cod clone with Mass Effect skins and weapons.

e: Oh god, khajiit and argonian. This game is a given success in sales already.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

kedo posted:

So it's pretty clear that the logo is making reference to the three playable factions (a sort of ouroboros – three animals consuming each other)... I'm wondering if any of you TES-lore-savvy individuals might know what they represent?

Dragon I'm assuming is the empire. I'm not sure about the other two off the top of my head... a lion and an eagle? I'm terrible with game lore.

Its possible that since the game is about a century ago it would be set in the second era so the three factions could be Tiber Septim's army vs. the Bretons/Aldermeri Dominion vs. monster races, or maybe the Akavari as the third faction.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

gently caress it. I'm going to end up playing it anyway because it's ES. Beast races for me please!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ovo posted:

Its possible that since the game is about a century ago it would be set in the second era so the three factions could be Tiber Septim's army vs. the Bretons/Aldermeri Dominion vs. monster races, or maybe the Akavari as the third faction.

That's actually really interesting... 1000 years before the events of Skyrim (give or take a decade or so) was when Elsweyr, the Fighter's Guild and the Dark Brotherhood were founded. Actually it's a pretty intriguing time period according to that page.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

Betcha some of the information in Skyrim pertains to things happening in the MMO 'storyline'. Get digging, nerds.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

I can't wait to join Mannimarco's undead legions.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

MrLonghair posted:

If the rumors from 06 and on turn out to be true then they may very well be using the Hero engine. While they've got the budget to make it not blow chunks, that's a helluva old engine for a 2013 release. Certainly it's the gameplay and setting and all that matters, and not having to gather 20 salty orc dicks, but we will see.
Firefall licensed the Offset Engine back in '06, and it performs quite well.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

gently caress it. I'm going to end up playing it anyway because it's ES. Beast races for me please!
Dunmer forever!

Lemon King fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 20:11

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

Ovo posted:

I didn't realize they had an in-universe explanation for the retconning of Cyrodiil into a temperate climate. I wonder if it will be a tropical jungle in the MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

THINK!

Hurray!

I'm tied to an NDA but I'm excited to see you guys talking about this.

«210 »