Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
JWP has two "Best of" DVDs for their 20 year anniversary, one covering the '90s and one covering the 2000s I believe. And they can be yours for the low low price of around $55!

Each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

You can now vote for Layla El's next opponent on WWE.com, but further proving that Vincent Kennedy McMahon doesn't give a gently caress what the internet thinks, AJ Lee went from first place with almost 45% of the votes to seconding Kelly Kelly who now has a minor lead over AJ (With Kelly's numbers increasing just about consistent with a vote for AJ.

With Kharma and Natalya completely absent on the poll.

AJ's back in the lead now, actually.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Is that Yoneyama at ringside wearing belt armor? :stare:

Her and Emi Sakura are the JWP/Daily Sports tag champions (two seperate tag belts that were unified basically right after the Daily Sports belts were made) so she's holding/wearing all of their belts.

This is AFTER she lost a 30 second match to Emi that would have her be shipped off to Emi's Bangkok Girls Pro Wrestling promotion that she just recently started up in Thailand and after being treated like a jobber since unretiring in the middle of her ceremony. Kind of wish the match they won it in (Yoneyama/Emi vs. Command Bolshoi/Rabbit Miyu) was at Korakuen and not at Itabashi so there'd be a chance of actually seeing it since that sounds like a potentially good match.

Suben fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 5, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

ZERO1 has a 16 (going on 17) year old girl named Yuhi who trained in kickboxing before going into wrestling. She debuted at their Korakuen Hall show last month against Yuzuki Aikawa and honestly looked REALLY good.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqpcsm_yuzuki-aikawa-vs-yuhi-zero1_sport

I mean there are some screw ups but as far as debuts go that's pretty drat impressive.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Didn't some indy dude who knew her/had worked with her say she was kinda crazy too?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So apparently Samurai's not going to be airing the recent Korakuen shows for WAVE, JWP and Ice Ribbon so I guess from now on watching newer joshi stuff is going to be even harder unless people are willing to get DVDs so they can rip them. :sigh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So at the most recent Reina show, Yumiko Hotta beat La Commandante in a hair vs. hair street fight... then promptly announced she was leaving the promotion and Reina's dissolved. Supposedly they're going to be having an announcement about what Reina's future is going to be but they've stripped Mima Shimoda and Zeuxis of the tag belts and cancelled their show on the 27th so either they're done or going away for a bit for a retooling. Hotta apparently said on her blog that she left because she wants more of a focus on hard hitting wrestling while Reina's president wants to emphasize a lucha style and looks.

I guess spending a bunch of money to bring in gaijin from North America, buy dorms in Chiba for your wrestlers and buy Chiba Blue Field from K-Dojo when you pretty much can't draw for poo poo isn't a good idea after all.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Pretty much. Granted I don't know why anyone would think Yumiko Hotta would be a draw in 2012 though...

STARDOM's basically the one company doing it right so far and that goes to the strength of Nanae as a trainer (and probably Natsuki*Taiyo and Miho Wakizawa too if they're involved in the training) so that you have pretty girls who actually show some promise at being competent inbetween the ropes.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Shida's alright but I dunno, something about her doesn't click with me and she comes off as kind of dull. Tsukushi's pretty good, Kurumi's pretty good but REALLY needs to work on her strikes (especially her kicks), Riho's good, Hikari Minami is super athletic but can be kind of a dunce in the ring and has to have somebody who can really lead her otherwise she gets lost. Dorami Nagano's been improving really fast too and if you can check out her match with Hiroyo... she'd be way better off in JWP (where she'd have a bunch of great vets to learn from) than Ice Ribbon I think.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I don't even get why she left Ice Ribbon. She's basically done nothing except apparently join (and then get kicked out of) an indier than indy promotion called Pro Wrestling Wallaby. It would've been nice if she had gone to JWP or something but in all honesty I don't know who's going to really find use for a 4 ft. whatever girl who's in her 20s. She really wasn't going to get any better as far as position than she was getting in IR.

Of course now ever since Emi's left Ice Ribbon seems kind of directionless and just things happening with no real build or anything so who knows. I'm not lamenting the loss of IR's Korakuen show because an intergender tag tournament that didn't include Matsumoto/Kasai and Kana/Shida didn't do much to interest me.

Losing out on Uematsu's retirement from the WAVE show and Haruyama/Kuragaki and Arisa Nakajima's return match from the JWP one sucks though.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Looking up the reason she was kicked out of of Pro Wrestling Wallaby, and it looks like she didn't like the way the promotion was being run or something, said some curse words, and got kicked out for being unprofessional.

Yeah, I remember about the "unprofessional behavior" and I can imagine some small-rear end indy nobody's ever heard of isn't going to be the best run promotion ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sucks for Io that she's basically going to have her career ruined because of Japan's ridiculous views/laws with regards to weed.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Or she'll be forced to work in America where people don't really care.

Didn't NOSAWA get arrested like, last year? I blame ICP, it's their fault!

He got arrested last year for stealing a cab, yeah.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

There was also the rumor at the time too that one of the reasons Nagisa Nozaki got kicked out of DIANA was because she likes to smoke.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Looks like there's another STARDOMS related scandal, because it seems as if the main photographer for the company has gotten into trouble for installing cameras in the shower rooms at STARDOMS shows at Shin-Kiba 1st ring.

Good show, STARDOMS. Two big scandals in one day. Not the fault of the promotion itself, but it's just very unfortunate all at once.

It was a guy who worked not only for STARDOM but JWP too and it was found out after WAVE's show there last month. The story I remember reading (when I saw it at DVDVR) was that they found a pen-sized camera in one of the bathrooms that the talent used and traced it back to him, then Rossy worked to keep it quiet because he thought it would be damaging to joshi puroresu's reputation but Tokyo Sports blew it out into the open.

Unless that's the second incident in as many days like that...

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So I guess she was living with/in a relationship with NOSAWA too? I kind of wonder if that's what caused the rift between her and Mio given NOSAWA's a doofus juggalo who, you know, got arrested for trying to steal a goddamn taxi.

Oh god, I wonder if NOSAWA tried to turn her on to ICP...

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 25, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

God that really has to suck. NOSAWA has MiSu, TAKA and Takagi standing up for him.

Io's sister throws her to the wolves.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Right, she's obviously not made the smartest decisions but at the same time even her own sister is pretty much turning her back on her while at least someone as stupid as NOSAWA has people (respectable people even) sticking behind him.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

That's my point. A guy with a long history of being an idiot (this, stealing a taxi, being a drunk in general, being a juggalo) still has people standing up for him while Io screws up once and is practically disowned by everone. It just makes me feel pretty bad for her.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 25, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Mio and Io not being their real names is a crushing blow. Next we'll find out Sachiko and Chisako are aliases.

Chisako and Sachiko are their real names.

Their real last names are Jumonji, though, not Kanari. :ssh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

It's unlike the US where you can get away with murder and people forgive and forget.

Issei Sagawa killed and ate a Dutch woman in France and after he got out of jail became a minor celebrity (even writing restaurant reviews for a Japanese magazine), starred in an exploitation film and wrote books about what he did and about a series of child murders in 1997 and in general has made a living off of his notoriety.

So smoking pot is apparently worse than literally killing and eating someone as long as you didn't do it in Japan I guess.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

:stare:

I guess there must be a level of being so cartoonishly evil and winning over people for being crazy that people are willing to forgive you for.

I mean that's obviously an exceptional case though... I think.

I hope.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Are you basing the idea that Io's friends and family have all shunned her solely from that random guy's blog? Who also had this to say:

:psyduck:

Man look up the whole deal with voice actress/singer Aya Hirano and her revealing that she has a boyfriend (an older boyfriend at that) and that she really likes sex. Fans completely flipped out and did poo poo like destroyed their Haruhi merchandise (since she voiced Haruhi) and whatever because she had "betrayed them" by no longer being the pure, virginal, innocent maiden that was presented to them.

Otaku are just kind of weird in general especially the guys who get really hung up on female anime characters/moe anime/idols/whatever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

As far as joshi goes I know AJW had the "no smoking, no drinking and no boys" rule although that was more (I believe) to cut out potential distractions than it was to maintain some image of purity although I suppose that probably played into it too considering AJW's fanbase at the time was mostly young/teenage girls who looked up to the wrestlers as role models.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

That logo is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

At first glance the logo looks like Shimmer got cut off somewhere. SHIMMER produced Athena (Who may be wrestling's best rookie), I look forward to seeing the other girls they scout/train.

Wasn't she wrestling for a little bit before she started in SHIMMER in Booker T's promotion?

I'm actually surprised WWE hasn't looked into signing her given that she seems to be fairly good, is pretty and has the connection to Booker.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Well there's a reason to change in that it might be easier to follow if volumes didn't take ages to come out and were multiple tapings behind. I don't get why it's not feasible to release a volume a month or so inbetween tapings.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The first three confirmed names for SHINE are SDR, Santana Garrett (who I've never heard of) and... Reby Sky.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sanshiro Takagi and former NEO president/current (well now ex as of today) Ice Ribbon president Tetsuya Koda announced that they're going to be starting a Tokyo-based women's promotion called Tokyo Women's Wrestling that's going to focus on younger wrestlers with the centerpiece being ex-NEO wrestler (who retired really really quickly but is still really young) Nozomi Dai. They also want to bring back the Three No's from AJW: No Smoking, No Drinking and No Boys.

Kind of worried about oversaturation in the already crowded joshi market (Reina dies only to be replaced by New Reina and now TWW) but at the same time Koda I guess has a pretty good head on his shoulders and Takagi's a really great, hardworking promoter. Dai's the wildcard because she's basically a non-entity but she's only 21 so who knows.

Kind of like rzombie says in his blog post about it, it's a total gamble because of how splintered everything is and the last thing Japan (and the Tokyo area specifically) needs is yet another joshi promotion. But they've got some good people in charge in Takagi and Koda and with Takagi there's the possibility of a DDT connection which would be good for getting them onto cards (for exposure) and maybe drawing in some crossover from DDT's apparently younger and more female leaning fanbase.

Hopefully it works out instead of being another Reina or Diana.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 4, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Oh and you can read more about it here.

http://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/please-welcome-tokyo-womens-wrestling/

I kind of hope they're able to get someone like Dorami Nagano away from Ice Ribbon who has a lot of talent but is kind of stuck in a promotion that seems to be going nowhere.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

coconono posted:

I'm watching the Oz Academy 15th anniversary show that I got from IVP.

I might start doing a violent joshi/WomensWres night as I'm running out of redic death match stuff. Dunno I'll have to do some digging to see if I can get 3 months worth of programming put together and there's interest.

Is it just deathmatches or violent, bloody brawls and stuff? Because there's a bunch of late '90s LCO stuff, Hokuto/Kandori, the first Dump/Chigusa match and Chigusa/Ozaki that's pretty drat bloody.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll make her change it to something wonderful like Chrissy Jakes or Erin Blaze before long. :v:

Erin Blaze would be awesome because that's a very pro wrestling name.

So give it a week or two and she'll be known as Megan Stansky.

And it'll be the Meegan pronunciation.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Read over at DVDVR that Io's said she's going to be returning. She was never fired from STARDOM and Rossy Ogawa (STARDOM's owner) backed her and said he believed her. Apparently the evidence against her is circumstantial at best and basically hinges on the fact she checked her luggage with NOSAWA so she may be in the clear.

And it was announced last week that STARDOM wrestler Arisa Hoshiki was quitting to "focus on school" but I guess the word is that the real reason was because of this whole deal and her parents (she's 16) not wanting her in "that kind of environment" so they basically forced her into quitting.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

There's really not a lot to talk about I guess. SHIMMER is SHIMMER and only has tapings two weekends a year, women's stuff in WWE and TNA would probably go more in the respective discussions threads (and with WWE at least there's not a whole lot to talk about), DMPunk is the only one who really cared about whatever small indies and he autobanned after making really dumb posts, nobody really follows lucha close enough to know how the women's stuff is down there afaik. And at this point a joshi promotion is lucky if even their Korakuen shows make it to air on Samurai outside of OZ Academy since it has a regular TV slot with Gaora (but the tradeoff is that it's basically the remnants of the '90s AJW and GAEA crews) so about all you can really go on is results and the occasional news piece that gets out.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'll believe the idea of WWE "stacking its Diva division" when I see it. I recognize Karma is out of their hands but they haven't done anything with Natalya and Beth Phoenix feels like she hasn't been decently used in years.

I remember reading last week that Kharma's apparently ready to come back whenever (hell last month she was working with her trainer and stuff) but they basically have no ideas for her. Maybe she'll come back on the 1000th Raw or something though who knows.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sophia Dorothy Rose given her obsession with Golden Girls.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Kind of a shame that's not the 1986 2/3 falls match because that match is really goddamn awesome. Still I'm guessing both Crush matches on there are really good as is the Jaguar/Devil match (the Crushes vs. Jaguar/Devil match from the same time period is really great). The Dump/Bull match is pretty good in a brawly, "faces having to fight against an evil heel stable" way that a lot of Dump's matches were and that same card also has Jaguar/Lioness WWWA Title match and the Devil/Chigusa All-Pacific match. I've never really seen enough of Omori and Jumbo to judge those matches though.

Oh and sidenote but Sakura Hirota got married about a week or so ago apparently.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Bd4nmyZm8

Hirota's just about the best comedy wrestler ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

STARDOM's Korakuen show on 8/5 has a pretty good line-up so hopefully it actually winds up airing.

Yoshiko vs. Takahashi for the World of Stardom Championship.
Yoko Bito vs. Yuzuki Aikawa for the Wonder of Stardom Championship.
Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Miho Wakizawa
Io Shirai vs. Natsuki*Taiyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

STARDOM is running Sumo Hall next April. :stare:

• Locked thread