Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so I don't want to offend anyone or make any sweeping stereotypes about Japan. So I'm asking if these things I've apparently learned from the last page or so are accurate.

- Female entertainers in Japan can't reveal to the public that they have boyfriends or are sexual beings or else their fanbases will turn on them rabidly out of some twisted stalkerish notion that they were betrayed? And this is just like normal and accepted instead of seen as a twisted subculture like "shipping" is here in the US.

- If you're, at worst, a stupid pot dealer who dates a Juggalo in Japan you run the rusk of being blackballed from the business and shunned by friends and family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bocc Kob posted:

That goes for anybody with a fanbase. There's always going to be a creepy obsessive minority that go crazy over stuff like that. Japan is maybe unique in that some stuff gets directly marketed to that sub-fanbase to get more money out of them.
Oh yeah, you see that stuff in US fanbases with shows that have really rabid ones like Glee or Supernatural. But those are kind of subcultures that hide a little on the internet and when people find out about it its ostracized for what it is. I was just getting the impression that it was more mainstream and overt in Japan from what you guys were saying. Maybe not fully mainstream, but not exactly hidden in the shadows and shamed either? Or am I just misreading this stuff?

I just looked up "otaku" so now I think I realize you're talking about a more specific grouping of obsessed fans. I guess I just didn't pick up on that since I'm unfamiliar with that word or world.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tenille Tayla.

I believe her surgery was supposed to put her out for a year or so. So I assume she's still rehabbing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SHIMMER starting what looks like a developmental company in SHINE and immediately making it more exposure than SHIMMER by doing IPPVs struck me as really weird and got me thinking. Is it possible this is SHIMMER just looking to expand but not being able to afford to use their stacked roster on IPPV? So rather than destroy themselves by spending too much getting Joshi stars and the best in North America they decide to do local talent and a smaller roster. And rather than hurt the SHIMMER name by putting out inferior shows under its banner they create the SHINE brand to run those shows under?

Or is it just legitimately a completely different thing that is just linked to SHIMMER? It just seemed weird to see a smaller upstart go to IPPV when what I really want to see is SHIMMER expand a little.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So more or less what I guessed? They'd like to move to IPPV but its not financial feasible. So SHINE is a cheaper version where they can test the medium's quality and fan interest and maybe prepare for a move to some IPPVs down the line?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DMPunk posted:

Prazak isn't running SHINE at all, really. So, its not his call how SHINE operates. Since they will only be doing like once a month shows, and use local talent, it makes sense to try the iPPV route. I can't imagine the crowds will be very big for these shows, so the iPPV will be a nice way to get some revenue. Hopefully, it makes a solid profit.

Well, I guess that was my question. Prazak isn't in charge of SHINE but all the people who are seem to be SHIMMER people. So is it a SHIMMER project and an unconventional way to expand and Prazak isn't micro managing or is it just a unique project some SHIMMER people wanted to do and just stay associated with Prazak/SHIMMER because of established relationships?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know why SHIMMER works the way it does and I don't blame them or criticize them for it.

Still, unfortunately its what keeps me from really getting into them and following them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's the story on Lady Poison? I've seen her on all the ACW stuff but I've never actually seen ACW matches. It seems weird that I never hear her popping up anywhere else when the rest of the division is pretty much names I know from SHIMMER, WSU, or somewhere else.

She any good? A local talent? Some young player who just hasn't moved out of the area yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll believe the idea of WWE "stacking its Diva division" when I see it. I recognize Karma is out of their hands but they haven't done anything with Natalya and Beth Phoenix feels like she hasn't been decently used in years. The Division as a whole has seemed MIA since the departure of Kelly Kelly, except for AJ.

Of course Kong, Natalya, Phoenix, SDR, Buggy Nova, Ivelisse, Britani Knight, AJ, and some assorted others like Layla and Eve could be a really nice division. But I've seen nothing to suggest WWE wants to have one. Who knows, maybe that will change with 3 hour RAWs and the need to fill more time but I just can't convince myself this is some kind of design to build a real division. There's just no message on screen that that's something WWE wants.

• Locked thread