Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
On a further positive note, I'm going to the SHIMMER shows in October and even I can't believe I just typed that sentance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Last time I talked to somebody, which was a few months ago, she was just finishing her rehab and was expected to get cleared in March. I imagine they won't bother having her debut until they can get their developmental poo poo taken care of.

As for why SHIMMER doesn't sell better, I think the stigma of women's wrestling is really difficult to overcome, even among Indy fans who are willing to put up with more crap.

I'm as guilty of that as anybody. I spent a fairly good portion of my semi-famous Internet Wrestling Columnist career making fun of women's wrestling for existing.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

WWE has apparently signed Buggy Nova to a developmental deal, and she debuted at an FCW show last night in a dance off moderated by Damian Sandow.

So...Good for her, I guess!

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Looks like she's maybe wearing a life jacket under the shirt and sitting down, which is pushing it up around her neck.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I Love My Axe posted:

So Kana vs. Hamada happened at Shimmer last night.

And it was AMAZING.

That match, by itself, was worth the cost of the entire weekend. Everything else was just bonus.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

It certainly seemed like it, after all they wasted no time getting her out of the elimination tag match at the end of the night. But she didn't seem to have any problems working Sunday night, so either they broke her nose and she was able to soldier through the rest of the weekend impressively, or she just bloodied it, but nothing was broken.

I'd lean towards the former, which gives me a whole new respect for her.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I am sort of curious, now that WWE has taken to raiding the SHIMMER roster alongside talent agencies how long it will take before actual women's matches start popping up on WWE TV.

Though I think there were definitely people further along than Davina Rose on that roster.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I gave her that plastic rose in that photo.

It's like I'm wrestling royalty. Again. And for something even more stupid.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

There's actually 4 shows! You might get Kong vs Kana, or Serena vs Kana II or a three-way!

Prazak has said that Kong is only appearing at the Wrestlecon show and won't be at the Berwyn four spot.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Knox was getting pretty good a few years ago, but she retired after some concussion issues and was looking into getting into body building/training. She did a few shots as a manager for Paige in Shimmer and wrestled a few indy shows in England, but honestly I'm sort of surprised that WWE would've went after her when she's barely worked in five years.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Saraya spat gum at me and Ayoko Hamada got thrown into my lap. It was a long strange trip.

Danger had a stroke in January and has a brain lesion, so she was working on borrowed time. She's just going to be helping with the booking from now on.

In other news hanging out after the shows is an excellent way to have some weird conversations with fans and wrestlers alike.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

No, that was my more entrepreneurial friend. I believe the gum is still stuck to that sign.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

A cute farewell video for Allison Danger from 90% of the Shimmer roster:

http://youtu.be/0IIEkZJDL-4

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Hmm?

She's supposed to be down in Florida anyway doing Shimmer DVD commentary, and they've been pushing this Perez/Havok match pretty hard.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Melissa busted open.

Portia Perez spent the entire weekend gathering (and subsequently losing) new pieces of entrance gear. They kept her and Nicole apart most of the weekend providing an out for their possible split, given that Nicole got a WWE tryout last week. Veda Scott has also gotten TNA and WWE matches in the last week, that's why she wasn't on the Sunday cards.

The shows never really felt lacking, but were missing a lot of key players (including Hamada, who couldn't get into the US from Mexico, so the shows ended up being rebooked a half dozen times on Saturday and Sunday).

Melissa missed her first match in 61 volumes to get stitches. Su Young suffered a pretty nasty concussion, but was still planning on working another show on Sunday.

Some other good matches. The weekend MVP was Madison Eagles for sure. I'm still decompressing after a long drive home.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Yeah, Mia had a couple really good matches, and brought the energy up in the room quite a bit. I don't think there's another face in SHIMMER right now that has better interactions with the crowd.

Kana/Kimber Lee was really impressive in how much Kimber exceeded expectations in going kick for kick with Kana. It was a really solid match. I was disappointed with Kana/Kay, but I'll have to watch it back whenever the DVDs come out.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Thanks! If you happen to have a good picture of my Chris Jericho get-up, could you let me know?

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Yes! Thanks!

I seem to be questioning a lot of my life choices in this photo....

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

A few other interesting notes from the weekend:

- Athena's new Game of Thrones inspired gimmick is weird. New gear, new music, new nickname, a flag bearer, but it's essentially the exact same character as before she got hurt. I asked her about it, and apparently she just really wanted to do something quasi-Game of Thrones related, but didn't really want to change her old character.

-Doing an injury angle with Veda Scott immediately after Christina Von Erie landed on her neck and had to get carried out of the ring (she apparently escaped any serious injury) is the sort of thing that most promotions would get called out on the carpet over, but for whatever reason it worked, and really did wonders for Veda's character.

-The live commentary was really annoying if you were sitting anywhere near the stage, but hey if it gets the DVDs out faster...Plus rather than having Portia and Prazak fly down to Florida and do commentary, this allowed them to use the whole roster, which led to various combinations of Prazak/Portia/Alison Danger/Veda Scott/Nicole Matthews on commentary, which should be interesting.

-Taylor Made was in attendance and advertised, but never booked and looked really depressed about that fact.

-Kevin Harvey (the ring announcer for the past few sets of tapings) quit the company after this weekend, so it will be interesting to see what they do there. He was the back-up for their previous guy (Joey Eastman) for a long time, and their other reserve ring announcers (Daffney and Chasity Taylor) are awful. Harvey I always liked because you could tell he enjoyed doing the job, and he learned all the Joshi ring entrances in Japanese.

-Thunder Kitty doing a Wendi Richter rewind was both the weirdest nonsense and most sensible thing that was booked all weekend.

TheHock fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2014

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

That really sucks, if it's true. I did see her hanging around with some of the wrestlers at the bar after the show, so apparently not everybody was really mad.

And if it was fake, she's really lucky, because I saw at least one picture from the shows of the impact and it looked bad.

That really sucks about Taylor and it's no wonder now that she was never booked and looked so out of it the whole weekend.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Cory Lidle posted:

Reminder that SHINE is tonight on iPPV and the card looks pretty good. They're playing Eagles' replacement as a Mystery Opponent type of deal, so I'm hoping for a surprise appearance.

I guess Kellie Skater is a surprise of sorts?

I really wish Shine had better production.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

She got lightly bumped by a car.

Rikishi confirmed for the next Shine show.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

My understanding was that the Sparkle NCW:FF Invitational Cup was a favor to Stephane Bruyere and LuFisto to get those girls exposure outside of Montreal, and that the only one they were ever actually interested in was Angie Skye. Other non-Fem Fatales girls have appeared on Sparkle in the past, and this isn't the first time Shimmer's been booked based on nepotism, it's just that Madison Eagles brought in better talent.

I will say that Ray and Leon must have had words with Pink Flash Kira, because she showed up at the after party in gimmick this time, which is the first time she's done that as far as I know. But it's a stupid mask, so I've never blamed her.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Cory Lidle posted:

Wrestling is run on nepotism, but eventually you have to flush out the people that just aren't going to do anything with your promotion. If Eagles was the one that brought in Kellie Skater, then I don't even think there's any comparison to the two situations.

To the best of my knowledge, she's responsible for bringing in every Aussie to work in Shimmer thus far except for Jessie McKay and Evie. So that's Skater, Tenille (Emma), Shazza McKenzie, Evie, and Savannah Summers. Even accepting Summers (who was awful) that's a pretty excellent track record.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Evie was working in PWWA when she got brought in, and it was Madison's suggestion that got her brought over.

Jessie and Eagles came over at the same time. They debuted as the Pink Ladies tag team.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Nikki Storm is fantastic. When she gets to NXT that crowd is going to lose its poo poo after her first promo.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

By the way, the Shimmer 79 DVD is going to be worth it for the four-way between Shazza McKenzie, Alysin Kay, Veda Scott and Mia Yim alone. It was one of the top two or three wrestling crowds I've ever been a part of, I don't think anybody took a single breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

The referee for the match was Andy Long, who'd had a really rough weekend of tapings. not counting count outs, not calling for DQs when heels were blatantly cheating in front of him (i.e. Yumi Ohka bringing a literal whip into her matches and whipping and choking people with it), being easily distracted when the heels did bother to distract him. Normal wrestling stuff, but he's not the most popular referee anyway, so at that point the crowd just turned on him when he was introduced for the match.

The boos just continued to drown out the introduction of the two heels, and then when the time came for the faces to get introduced just turned into booming cheers. That continued through the whole match, anytime a heel did anything the crowd would boo like crazy, whenever the faces would do anything the crowd would cheer. When Shazza eventually won, she might as well have won the world title.

It was mostly a goof on how awful the officiating was this weekend, but the match was good so the atmosphere became that much better. If the match had sucked, I don't think it could've been maintained.

• Locked thread