Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

This thread is for discussing the best (and worst) games for the Android OS, on cell phones and tablets.

Android? Why the gently caress would you want to play games on that when you can use your cheeto-encrusted gaming PC?
Some people have regular commutes that involve long rides on the train or bus. Some get dragged to the mall by family members. Others like to be able to hand their phone to their 5-year-old child and shut them up for an hour. Finally, some people just want to be able to play cool games while they're taking a poo poo.

What phone should I get? I heard Samsungs are lousy.
That's not a question about Android games! For questions about Android phones, I refer you to the Android Phone Thread. For phone recommendations in general, check out the Phone Recommendation Thread.

I heard you need to rootkit your phone if you want it to be able to do anything.
That's not a question! For info about enabling root access on your phone, look at the Rooted Android Thread.

When's the next Tab coming out?
Since it seems you don't catch on quickly, let me just point out that all of these questions can be answered in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum.

Why on earth would you buy an android phone, iOS is so much better!
:frogout: This is not an Android vs iOS thread!

What's the difference between Full, Lite, Demo, Paid, HD, THD, etc?
Many apps have both free and paid versions available, and typically the free one will be supported by ads displayed in-app. Other apps will have a more limited version available for free (usually noted as Lite or Demo), requiring you to pay to unlock the full amount of content. Some apps have versions that are more demanding on the device, and you can tell the difference between the two from the HD denotation. Lastly, THD or Tegra 3 HD is a pretty new tag given to apps that are specifically designed to run on devices with the Tegra 3 processor such as the Asus EEE Transformer Prime. When purchasing an app, make sure you verify that it will actually run on your device. If you aren't sure, try the demo version or ask in the thread.

I bought a game and it really sucks. How do I get my money back?
Apps purchased from the Google Play Store can be refunded in full within 15 minutes of purchase. In most cases, this will give you enough time to download the game, try it out, and return it if it sucks or doesn't run correctly. :siren: Be aware, some games require downloads that are large enough to take longer than 15 minutes to complete. :siren: In these cases you will not be able to refund them through the market. Where possible, I've tried to note in the games list when this is the case, but I can't guarantee 100% accuracy. If you are unsure, ask in the thread.

I'm an app developer, can I advertise my app here?
That depends. Did you just register today? Are you just shilling to get some more downloads for your heartless korean grindfest mmo? This would be straight-up advertising, which is frowned on here. If, on the other hand, you have been a goon for a while and also happen to be a developer, we encourage you to come discuss your games with us. Several goons have made some really great Android games, and being able to talk directly to them is pretty great.

I found this totally awesome game and everyone should try it!
Great! That's what this thread is for. Tell us what it is, link to it in the market, and tell us why you like it.

How do I take those cool screenshots from my phone?
The latest version of Android, ICS (for Ice Cream Sandwich) has it as a built-in feature. Earlier versions of Android require root in order to accomplish this. Alternatively, you can plug your phone into your PC and take screenshots using the SDK. More info is available here.

The previous Android Games thread
The Android Phone Thread
The Android app thread
DroidWall, AdFree Android and AdAway (require root) for blocking ads in apps where they're unavoidable (don't be a dickbag and use these to avoid paying for good apps, buy the adfree version if you actually like something)
Amazon App Store: Generally, the Amazon store is way shittier than the Google one. One big bonus, though, is that every day they put a different paid app up for free. Use My Free Daily Amazon App to set up a notification so you won't miss when it's something awesome like Where's My Water.
Google Play Store
OnLive
Steam
3-pack capacitative touchscreen stylus for like $2 - these are pens you can use to draw on your screen.

Below is a pretty gigantic list of games. I've tried to sort them out by category as much as possible, but we get a lot of posts along the lines of "I just got a phone, tell me some good games to get?" so here's a short list of games that pretty much everyone should start with.

Angry Birds - Rio - Seasons - Space
One of the hottest mobile games around, Angry Birds is a physics puzzler involving shooting birds from a slingshot into piled-up defenses of some rear end in a top hat pigs. The latest edition, Angry Birds Space, innovates on the formula by introducing gravity wells into the mix.

MiniSquadron - Lite - Special Edition
MiniSquadron is a dogfighting game. You start with one plane and fight through progressive deathmatches against many opponents. As you go, you can unlock other, neater planes. It's pretty goddamn awesome.

Dungeon Raid - SA thread (for iOS but everything should still apply)
Dungeon Raid is an innovation on match-3 games like Bejeweled and Puzzle Quest. You can think of it as a mix of Bejeweled, Rogue, and Diablo, if you like. There are tons of skills, classes, and abilities to unlock, and just a straight poo poo-ton of gameplay.

Oenis posted:

Dungeon Raid is easily my favourite toilet/waiting room/whatever game. Also, it fits easily with all your requirements. You can pick it up and continue to play later whenever you want, it's a turn based puzzle style matching game, you match skulls+swords, shields, coins, and health potions, get level ups, new items and skills, and also progressively unlock more classes, races traits and things. It has multiple difficulty modes to keep you entertained for a long time. I think it even had it's own thread on the forums at some point.

crumpuppet posted:

I bought this game because of this thread and I can safely say it is now my favourite android game. Thanks technicolor!

Deep Winter posted:

Dungeon Raid didn't really look fun or goon, but it got an overwhelmingly good Goon Review, so I tried it.

I hate you all. Give me my life back!

Where's My Water? - Free - T-Mo edition
Where's my Water is a physics puzzler involving (you guessed it) water, about a crocodile who just wants to take a bath. Don't let the fact that it's published by Disney fool you - it's a serious puzzle game, with a ton of levels, secret collectibles, bonus levels, and hours of content.

Triple Town

SaxMaverick posted:

Triple Town - First of the games that you'll love, but then you'll want to break your phone in half. Go ahead and buy the "unlimited turns" IAP. It's worth it.

Thermopyle posted:

Been playing Triple Town. I don't even know why I got it...I'm not usually a fan of these types of games, but I've been enjoying the heck out of it.

It's a puzzle game in the classic "line-up-three-or-more-of-these-things-to-do-something" genre with the added twist of when you line up things you get one more permanent thing on your screen.

So like, you get three huts lined up and they're replaced with a house, or three gravestones and you get a church.

The goal is to build up a town.

Cakefool posted:

I mocked dungeon raider, I am addicted to this instantly. Damnit.

Draw Something - Free - Goons that Draw Something - 3-pack capacitative touchscreen stylus for like $2
Ok, so it's a bit like pictionary, only it's play by mail, and it will hook up with ... aw gently caress it just read the goon thread while you're downloading.

Ok, so let's take a second and talk about Kairosoft here. Kairosoft is an app publisher that ports apps over from really old phones, and they're all badly-translated from Japanese. Why am I putting them here? Because their games are flat out amazing.

All of these games are like digital crack. They are pretty much all 5-star games for your phone and totally worth playing.
Game Dev Story - Lite - Free
Dungeon Village - Lite
Epic Astro Story - Lite
Grand Prix Story - Lite
Pocket League Story - Lite
Cafeteria Nipponica - Lite
Pocket Academy - Lite
Hot Springs Story - Lite
World Cruise Story - Lite
Mega Mall Story - Lite

Wordfeud - Free - SA Thread - by Id4ever

ShokoRocket by danishcake

danishcake posted:

Going to pimp my own game, what with it being a game for Android.

ShokoRocket

It's a clone of Chu Chu Rocket. It's got a shedload of levels (over 100), and it's possibly a bit hard. If you didn't play Chu Chu Rocket back in the day, it's a puzzle game. You guide mice to rockets using a limited stock of arrows, avoiding cats and black holes.

It's free, ad free, and open source. The horrible source code can be found on github. Some guy reviewed it here, and it's been generally positively received, albeit by a small audience.

I really must finish the multiplayer branch.

Source and .apk

Also, half the reason I find Angry Birds fun is that the pigs are such smug fuckers. I get a real sense of satisfaction from bombarding them. Oink oink snort pop.

Block It Up - by timato

timato posted:

Block It Up was just released, and it's a game of color matching and combos!

Market URL
AppBrain URL

Geared by numeric_atrophy

Refraction - Lite - Refraction 2 Lite Beta - by lmao zebong

lmao zebong posted:

Me and two other friends have been working on an Android game for the last 5 weeks, and put our lite version on the market on Wednesday. It's a puzzle game that has you using mirrors and prisms to bounce colored lasers around to hit the corresponding checkpoints. We saw that a majority of games on Android aren't that great, so we really tried to work on a game that was polished and we were proud of. It would be great if anybody interested would download it and tell me what you think of it. It's called Refraction and are planning on releasing the paid version in a week. Here's the market link: http://ow.ly/4q1xl

Galacto Golf by Sir Chicken Caesar

Sir Chicken Caesar posted:

I wrote a game!

It's called Galacto Golf and is a 2d gravity physics based game. The idea is you pull back on your rocket to launch it a la Angry Birds and use gravity to slingshot around planets, moons etc. to reach the wormhole. There are 3 'courses' with 9 'holes' each.

A few sceenshots:

Market link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.galactogolf

It's free so give it a go! I think based on feedback from my friends that I might have made it too hard and that people might not understand how it works without me standing over their shoulder explaining things. I'd like to hear what other Goons think...

Calcutron - Lite by kdrudy

kdrudy posted:

I just put out a new game on Android called Calcutron. You make math equations out of a board of digits and score points for the total of your equation.

There is a timed mode where you get 90 seconds to score as many points as you can with new digits added when you submit equations and a clear mode where you have 45 seconds to clear the board of as many digits as possible, with double points if you can completely clear the board.

Each game type can be played using either Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication or Division in the full version, but only Addition is enabled in the lite free version. The full version is $1.00

Let me know if it's good, let me know if it sucks, solid feedback is always nice.

Tactikon by delomelas

delomelas posted:

Anyone looking for a simple turn-based strategy game? Well I've written one. It's called Tactikon, and available on the Android Market here.
Gameplay-wise it's more like the Empire series than Advance Wars, with the emphasis on long-term strategic goals and planning. It's a beta version at the moment but fully playable. Multiplayer against AI or other players, with turns being taken at leisure - notifications will let you know when it's your turn again.
There are a few more features I'm planning before the final release, so let me know if there's anything you'd like to see in a game like this.

Droidius by feedmyleg and gotly

feedmyleg posted:

Ah, time to give back to this thread: I made a game! Along with some other very talented individuals.

Droidius: 1945
A top-down WWII arcade-style Shoot 'Em Up with power-ups, bosses, etc.

Free, fairly short, but challenging and addictive - perfect for a morning commute or a quick game to beat your high score. Drag the ship around to dodge projectiles and enemies, tap anywhere else on the screen to pause the game.

Should be compatible with 2.1 or above on pretty much any phone or tablet. Any feedback welcome.

Bumbledore by lamster

lamster posted:

My buddy and I just launched a free game, Bumbledore, on the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nimblygames.bumbledore

You control a wizard bee that must defend his hive from invading bugs by casting spells. The gameplay is a little like Angry Birds crossed with an action game.

It's free to download, no ads, and truly optional in app purchases (there's no "grind" and all stages are designed to be cleared and 3-honeycombed without any purchases).

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

graBLOX by voldaran

voldaran posted:

After many moons alone in my basement, I finally completed my first Android project. About 6 months ago I decided I would stop toying around in android and finally make something. Now the hard part begins, getting people to play it.

This is the game named by somethingawful http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449805!

graBLOX!

Easy to learn, hard to master. The concept is simple, remove all the blox from the board to move on. The challenge comes when not every block acts the same way.

Over 70 levels and 7 different and fun BLOX types (With more on the way)

Any feedback is welcome, good or bad. If you have any questions about the development process / time frames, let me know. I would be happy to answer.

Android market link : https://market.android.com/details?id=com.voldaran.puzzle.graBLOX

QR Code :

Game JUST came out, might take a few for you to be able to search for it.

Automata (free demo) by kilroy

Kilroy posted:

I've released a game, my first on Android, Automata. In a nutshell you design creatures and set them loose on the board, trying to keep a balance so one species doesn't wipe out the rest by eating all the food:

The rules are pretty simple but it has a bit more depth than you might think at first blush. Anyway, comments and suggestions are very much welcome.

Eros by Azazel

Azazel posted:

I posted this in the Making Games thread as well, but...

I've released my first game ever Eros to the Android market. Give it a shot if anyone is interested in tower defense space drama.

Tilt Arena - Full version - by interrupt
Delver by interrupt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dattsmkfzhU

Interrupt posted:

For people in this thread that were discussing first person dungeon crawls, I just dropped Delver on the Market. It's still basically an alpha, doesn't have all the RPG mechanics I want and random dungeon generation yet, but it is playable end to end now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.interrupt.dungeoneer

Tiny Tower - SA thread by eenmachine.

Webbeh posted:

Introduction:
Welcome to Tiny Tower, the latest in NimbleBit's freemium game-offerings. This is not the spiritual successor to SimTower, but TT takes the SimTower-model and focuses on economy and your bitizens (citizens in your Tiny Tower).

Sentinel 3: Homeworld and Space Station: Frontier, both iOS ports of games made by a company that goon Tag Plastic works for. They're pretty good!

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Below is a list of close to all the games goons have recommended in the past, with notes about them where applicable. If you're unsure of whether something is worth your 75 cents, ask in the thread. If you want something added, pm me. Or, better yet, talk about it in the thread! That's how we got this huge list in the first place.

(This list is still in progress, I've only sorted about half of it so far.)

ARCADE
Stardunk
Air Attack HD Part 1 (free) - Part 2 (paid) - Complete (paid)
X-Men, a port of the 1992 arcade game.
Radiant - HD - Free
Windup Knight - "Note: if you are mega awesome it is possible to unlock all the levels in this game for free. If you prefer to pay a few bucks to unlock levels, that's cool too. However, some purchases are not transferrable across devices, will be lost forever if you uninstall or wipe your phone, and are non-refundable."
Zombieville USA
R-Type
Time Ducks
Star Blitz
Spirit HD
EVAC - HD
Kongregate Arcade

BOARD GAMES
drisk - Free (droid Risk)
Catan, port of Settlers of Catan boardgame. Has hotseat multiplayer, though supposedly they're working on online. You can purchase several expansions such as Seafarers as well.
Carcassonne
Droid Tower - Dark Tower on your droid
Elder Sign: Omens
Droidippy, some sort of port of Diplomacy I guess

CARD GAMES
Androminion
Hearts Deluxe
Random Mahjong - Pro

CASUAL
Flight Control - Demo
Buka - HD - Free
Super Monkey Ball 2
Minesweeper Classic
Death Worm - Free
Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack! - Free
Abduction! - World Attack! - Abduction 2 - Abduction 2 Demo
Peggle
Bejeweled 2
Chuzzle (amazon link) This game doesn't run on some phones so be sure to double check your device before buying.
Airport Mania XP Free - First Flight XP
Tap Tap Revenge 4
Fruit Ninja - Free
Drop
Trap!
Dragon, Fly! Full - Free
Runik
Pixel Chaos - Pro - Lite
Toddler Lock - Donate
Paper Toss
Throttlecopter
K'umpa Labyrinth Free
Glow Hockey 2
Kamikaze Race

DEFENSE GAMES
Robo Defense - Free
Samurai vs Zombies Defense
Radiant Defense
Grave Defense HD - Also check out their Night of the Living Dead-themed game
Zombie Smash
Defensoid - Lite
Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave
HexDefense - Free
Plants Vs. Zombies
Myth Defense - Free
Crystal Defenders
Asteroid Defense 1 (free) - Asteroid Defense 2 (paid)

DUNGEON CRAWL
Dweller - beta
NetHack - Tiles Pack - Slash'EM - Slash'EM Tiles Pack
Deadly Dungeons RPG
No Way But Down
Rogue for Android

EMULATORS

Tadhg posted:

I won't speak of ROM sources, as that's potentially :filez:, but here are all my favorite emulators:

Everything by yongzh. NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, SNES, N64, Sega Gamegear, Sega Genesis, N64, and even freaking Atari 2600. All free, save for the N64 emulator (which is $5.)

aDosBox is DosBox for Android.

cAndy Apple, an Apple IIe emulator. I use it solely for playing the original Oregon Trail, but that's good enough for me.

Frodo C64 is my Commodore 64 emulator of choice.

JFrotz is a zMachine interpreter, used to play a whole crapton of oldschool Text Adventures (i.e. Zork.)

ScummVM for Android will let you play most of the old Kings Quest and Monkey Island style adventure games. Currently reliving my childhood with the Monkey Island series on my lunch breaks at work. :3:

landis posted:

Seconding FPse over PSX4Droid. After PSX4Droid was yanked from the market the developer lost interest, also I'm not certain the guy who is offering it on the market is one and the same with the original guy (maybe someone can confirm/deny).

FPse has a wonky UI but the emulator itself is amazing and save states work really well. FFT (image made from the game I own) looks way better in FPse vs PSX4Droid.

MMO
Order and Chaos Online - Basically WoW on your phone, including the monthly sub. SA thread
Infinite Black - Archived SA thread
Life is Crime
Pocket Legends - Space Legends - Dark Legends
Parallel Kingdom - SA Thread
Vendetta Online

PC GAMES
GemRB - play Baldur's Gate on your phone! Really!
Free Heroes 2 - free version of Heroes of Might and Magic 2 using game data from your PC copy.
Ur-Quan Masters
Another World
Majesty - Lite - Northern Expansion - Lite - Google Docs spreadsheet showing unit stats by jersktoresup
Minecraft Pocket Edition - Demo
Jagged Alliance 2 Android Port using your PC game files
ScummVM - you can download plugins for various games from this list but you need to provide the game data from your PC copy of the game. (Froyo version)

PLATFORMERS
HyperActive Ninja - Free
Megajump
Robot Unicorn Attack
Tongue Tied
Whale Trail
Gunman Clive
Muffin Knight - Free
Temple Run
Stellar Escape - Lite
Inertia: Escape Velocity - Lite - HD - HD Lite
Gish Reloaded FREE
Guerilla Bob - Xperia Play - THD - THD Lite
Bean's Quest
Prism 3D - Premium
Cordy
Meganoid - Free
Doodle Jump
Squibble - Free

PUZZLE
Alchemy - Premium
Spaghetti & Marshmellows - Free
Lock 'n' Roll Pro - Deluxe - Free
Unblock Me Free
Apparatus - Lite
ShakyTower
Train Crisis HD
Bizzle
Nemo Picross
iBlast Moki
Osmos HD - Demo
Karoshi
Orbital
Elemental - It's a bit like Sudoku.
Mooniacs
Early Bird
Collapse! - Collapse! Chaos
Nano Panda - Free
Stupid Zombies
Space Physics - Expansion - Lite
Picranium Picross - Lite
Andoku Sudoku - Andoku Sudoku 2 free
Moblox - Donation
X Construction - Lite
FarmTower HD - Pro
Cut the Rope - Free - Cut the Rope: Experiments - Free
Burn the Rope - Worlds
Sprinkle - Free - Junior
World of Goo - Demo
Crush the Castle
Everlands - HD - Free
Slice It!
Totemo - HD - Free
Rocket Bunnies
Sporcle
DrainWorks - Lite
Puzzle Quest 2

RACING
Death Rally Free
Galataxi
Reckless Racing - HD - Reckless Racing 2
Return Zero - Free
Reckless Getaway
Drag Racing - Bike Edition
SpeedX 3D
Jet Car Stunts - Lite
Epic Truck - Lite

RPG
Demon Hunter
Star Traders RPG - Elite - Mini (3mb) - International
Zenonia 1 (lite) - 2 (free) - 3 - 4
Dungeon Hunter 3
Gurk 2 - great little 8-bit RPG for a dollar
Legendary Heroes
Eve of Genesis HD
Exitium - Saviors of Vardonia - Free
Fallen Realms
Samurai II: Vengeance - Tegra HD
Gallardia 2
Inotia3: Children of Carnia
Cyberlords - Arcology - Free
Cyber Knights RPG - Elite
Symphony of Eternity
Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2 (Gameloft store, they aren't available in the Market)
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Caligo Chaser - Free
Spectral Souls

SHOOTERS
Gun Bros
Vogelstein 2d - Top-down Wolfenstein 3D.
9mm
Age of Zombies - pretty sure it's a Zombies Ate My Neighbors clone, and that's a good thing.
PewPew - PewPew 2
Dead Space
Cartoon Wars: Gunner
Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation
Shadowgun - THD - This is basically a Gears of War clone for cell phones/tablets. It's surprisingly good.
Guns'n'Glory - Free
A Space Shooter for Free
Sky Force - Lite - Reloaded

SIM
The Sims 3
The Sims Freeplay
SimCity Deluxe

SPORTS
Homerun Battle 3D - Free
Backbreaker Football - Backbreaker Football 2
NBA Jam
FIFA 12
New Star Soccer (Android port of this flash game)
NFL Pro 2012
PES 2012
Flick Golf! - Flick Golf Extreme

STRATEGY
Galcon
Battleheart - Word of warning, this game is no longer seeing support from the developer.
Star Armada
Generation of Chaos
UniWar HD
Modern Conflict - A modern take on the Galcon formula, very good and pretty dang hard.
Anomaly: Warzone Earth HD
Armored Strike Online - Lite
Townsmen 6 - Free
Templar Assault - Elite - it's space hulk
SteamBirds - Demo
Battle for Wesnoth - Free
Battle for Mars (paid, multiplayer) - Lite
Greed Corp - HD
Great Little War Game - All Out War
Pocket Empires
Rebuild (flash version on pc)
UFO: Alien Invasion
Archipelago - Lite
XenoWar
Cartoon Wars
Robotek
Worms

WORD GAMES
WordzUp! - Upgrade
Shortyz crosswords
Lettered
Word Mix - Lite
7 Little Words
Words with Friends Free

OTHER
Grand Theft Auto III - yes, it's Grand Theft Auto III on your phone. Be warned, there are like five different versions of the app depending on your hardware. Second warning, unless you've got a Transformer Prime or similar, it'll probably not run all that well.
DopeWars - Donator
Gem Miner 2
OpenTTD
Desert Bus
Realistic Summer Sports - Haven't seen a bad review of this one yet, lots of goons really love it.
Hyper Jump - Resources Pack - Lite
X-Plane 9
Godville - It's a lot like Progress Quest.
Stair Dismount
Typing Zombie
Enviro-Bear 2010
BackStab
Assassin's Creed - Revelations
PSX4Droid - Market

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2012

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Here's where we drool over the Star Command trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnD4X-qYxvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBXT6-eYneo

gently caress yes.

Terraria is getting ported to Android

quote:

Now Terraria is being ported by a developer named Brad Gearon who is planning to bring the hit indie game over to Android. This Android version could end up being an official port of the game since Brad seems to have gotten permission to release it publicly on the market without fear of violating copyrights or anything of that nature. We are assuming he got this permission from the original Terraria developers.
So far the game looks like it is coming along quite nicely. The controls are all onscreen and so far the visuals look spot on when comparing them to the PC version. One interesting feature we found through reading the blog posts on Brad's site is that the game will be synced with Dropbox for world and player saved game storage.
As of right now we do not know when Terraria for Android, as we are calling it, will be released onto the Google Play store or for how much. We have contacted the developer and when we hear back with additional details then we will post an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Q_pdrF3Iw

Trailer for Gameloft's upcoming N.O.V.A. 3 FPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlKaJnbFek

Lately we've been talking about Delver.

qvc on the tivo posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with Trainyard recently, which just came out on Android the other day.

It's a puzzle game where you need to get the train cars into their correct stations, however this involves some really cool colour mixing mechanics. It's not like other "get the trains to the station" where you're constantly switching tracks in a mad frenzy, but you set up all the tracks and hit go, so it's more like making the perfect train colour mixing machine. This video can probably explain it better than me anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtIb7NEYgM

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In it, 5'd. Also, thanks for reminding me I've not finished refraction yet.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've been playing Shadow Era which is basically a Magic: The Gathering clone. It's pretty well done and can easily be played for free, or you can buy "Shadow Crystals" to buy decks or booster packs. You get 25 Shadow Gems per level and the decks and packs only cost 100, so by level 5 you can buy a deck, sell what you don't want and end up with a customized deck. There's a "campaign" mode but it's basically just enemy icons randomly placed on the map. There is also multiplayer challenge mode but I haven't done that yet.

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009
What's this about Kariosoft only doing ports? Do they not actually develop the games themselves? Is that how they're churning out these amazing games so quickly? Don't tell me that they're the japanese Zynga this whole time!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Safe posted:

What's this about Kariosoft only doing ports? Do they not actually develop the games themselves? Is that how they're churning out these amazing games so quickly? Don't tell me that they're the japanese Zynga this whole time!
No, no, no, they're ports of games they've made in the past for Japanese cellphones. Hence why the controls usually don't really take advantage of touch screens, sometimes to the point of having a pointless D-Pad!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Great OP, just convinced me to buy dungeon raid.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
NBA JAM is amazing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
That's fuckin awesome, JA2 on your phone.
I find FPse (market) way better than PSX4Droid.

heladocasero
Jul 27, 2010
Realistic Summer Sports Simulator is pretty freakin' awesome.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Is there anything similar to Slice HD for Android? I miss having that game before I switched from iOS to Android, always felt so nerve-racking whenever I messed up.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
X-Men Arcade is free today, so there's that.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I just downloaded X-Men onto my EVO 3D.. and it runs like rear end. It's very slow and laggy. Is anyone else seeing this?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I know there's supposed to be a ~10% difference between the Tegra 2 in my Photon and the MSM8660 in your Evo 3D, but can't imagine that'd be enough to make the game run really sluggishly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm running it fine on an XPRT, so it's probably not the phone being too slow. I think the reviews mentioned wonky compatibility with certain phones though, so maybe check that out.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Barely runs on my Sensation.

Been playing a lot of Osmos HD lately, the game is really well adapted to touchscreen play.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It looks like GemRB recommends a 4" screen. Anyone have experience using it on a 3.1"?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

s0m3 guy posted:

That's fuckin awesome, JA2 on your phone.
I find FPse (market) way better than PSX4Droid.

Thank you for this. I wasted way too much time trying to get psx4droid to work with no luck. This worked perfectly right out of the box.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
After about 18 months on iOS, Zombie Flick got released on Android today from the Flick Golf/Soccer/Football/Rugby people. It's not a very complex game, but I think its a fairly fun timewaster if you're not burnt out by zombies yet.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Glad to see Triple Town being shown some love. Buying unlimited turns was probably the best app purchase I've ever made. I just wanted to recommend Tiny Tower. It's a very neat little game where you build and manage a building with various themed apartments and shops. It's free, with an option to purchase "tower bux" to speed up building times, get faster elevators, etc. I've never found a need to purchase any, since you get 1 every time you build a new floor and you get tips from "bitizens" you take to various floors with the elevator.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I think a goon made Tiny Tower, also bought himself a mansion off of those tower bux

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I remember seeing a lot of drama around Tiny Tower but I didn't know a goon made it. Should I add it to the OP list?

Also can any of you recommend either emulators or gamepads? I don't really know anything about either but it seems like that'd be a good thing to have in the OP too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lord Yod posted:

I remember seeing a lot of drama around Tiny Tower but I didn't know a goon made it. Should I add it to the OP list?

Not as a goon game unless we figure out who made it. Looks cool though, trying it myself now.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I like seeing that Calcutron is still in the OP. It was updated a while ago to put Subtraction into the Lite version since I added a Random to the full version. Random changes the function you use every new equation.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
Thanks for making this thread. I wasn't aware the Order and Chaos was available for my phone. So now I have something to play while I'm sitting on the bus ride from work.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Splizwarf posted:

Not as a goon game unless we figure out who made it. Looks cool though, trying it myself now.

I think it was eenmachine? Its all over the ios games thread. Hes also working on a Tiny Planes game.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Lord Yod posted:

Also can any of you recommend either emulators or gamepads? I don't really know anything about either but it seems like that'd be a good thing to have in the OP too.

I won't speak of ROM sources, as that's potentially :filez:, but here are all my favorite emulators:

Everything by yongzh. NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, SNES, N64, Sega Gamegear, Sega Genesis, N64, and even freaking Atari 2600. All free, save for the N64 emulator (which is $5.)

aDosBox is DosBox for Android.

cAndy Apple, an Apple IIe emulator. I use it solely for playing the original Oregon Trail, but that's good enough for me.

Frodo C64 is my Commodore 64 emulator of choice.

JFrotz is a zMachine interpreter, used to play a whole crapton of oldschool Text Adventures (i.e. Zork.)

ScummVM for Android will let you play most of the old Kings Quest and Monkey Island style adventure games. Currently reliving my childhood with the Monkey Island series on my lunch breaks at work. :3:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The ScummVM port is really good. I'm currently playing Full Throttle on it, no issues.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I'm a big fan of the card game "Phase 10".

I wish they'd add multiplayer support though. That or tracked stats.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Great op!

I didn't see Nemo Picross in the list. It's a logic puzzle game, aka pixel puzzle. It's free, heaps of playtime & I've been addicted to it since the day I got it and at least several other goons love it too. After I finished all the puzzles, I reset it and am doing the whole thing again, in a different mode. Not sure what I'll do with my life after I've finished again:ohdear:

I've also suggested Bizzle in the past, it's a cute Korean block dropping style game. Free. I think goons would enjoy it, but not sure if anyone listened to my past recommendation.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Doesn't seem to work for us UK'ers. gently caress you, Amazon :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lord Yod posted:

The drama was centered around that Tiny Tower and Pocket Frogs were both ported by Mobage and use Mobage's frame work which is really really lovely on Android. Tiny Tower also has a bad habit of up and deleting your tower for no reason and theres nothing you can do to get it back.

But yes, the original games on iPhone where written by a Goon. Eemachine, I think.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

On the topic of Tiny Tower, I would prefer a SimTower port to Android.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Runs great on my gnex. Wish the buttons were a little bigger, but I can deal with them. Great nostalgia.

Also, great new thread!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zedicus Mann posted:

On the topic of Tiny Tower, I would prefer a SimTower port to Android.

Everyone here would...

Mega Mall Story is as close as you will get for now.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Seconding FPse over PSX4Droid. After PSX4Droid was yanked from the market the developer lost interest, also I'm not certain the guy who is offering it on the market is one and the same with the original guy (maybe someone can confirm/deny).

FPse has a wonky UI but the emulator itself is amazing and save states work really well. FFT (image made from the game I own) looks way better in FPse vs PSX4Droid.

landis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 7, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bithack.apparatus

Apparatus is an excellent game for those of you who like to build machines out of components. Most puzzles can have multiple solutions, depending how creative (lucky) you get.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Civil posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bithack.apparatus

Apparatus is an excellent game for those of you who like to build machines out of components. Most puzzles can have multiple solutions, depending how creative (lucky) you get.
What I really want is a port of The Incredible Machine. Is that too much to ask? Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

What I really want is a port of The Incredible Machine. Is that too much to ask? Seriously?

There's an Incredible Machine for iPhone, but it's not that good tbh. The puzzles are much, much smaller/easier in scope when compared to the old PC versions, which really bummed me out :(

• Locked thread