Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishfingers
Sep 12, 2009
I can't stop playing Kairosoft games. They're like a shiny, brightly coloured crack. Anyone recommend any similar games or particular Kairosoft games which stand out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
My favorite is Grand Prix Story. And if you think it's great the first time through with your first racing team, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

My favorite is Grand Prix Story. And if you think it's great the first time through with your first racing team, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

What's the best car to take over? I choose my super end game car thinking I'd start with it but you gotta build it and you can't at the beginning. I hoped everything would carry over. What's the best thing to do?

Also an tips on layouts for astro story would be appreciated.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishfingers posted:

I can't stop playing Kairosoft games. They're like a shiny, brightly coloured crack. Anyone recommend any similar games or particular Kairosoft games which stand out?

I like Game Dev, Grand Prix and Mega Mall. I returned the school one almost instantly and neither me or the misses likes the World Cruise one.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Lord Banana posted:

What's the best car to take over? I choose my super end game car thinking I'd start with it but you gotta build it and you can't at the beginning. I hoped everything would carry over. What's the best thing to do?

Also an tips on layouts for astro story would be appreciated.

I always brought over the banana car.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I honestly haven't decided what the best one is. I think a fully maxed Buggy is a good idea for getting a really strong start, because it's easy for your low early tech level to build to a reasonable standard. I also really like the Duck Car as a carryover; it's harder to build early on but it has good stats, 4 slots, and (because it looks ridiculous) a bonus to appeal so you get paid more, more often (and item unlocks come faster). Keep in mind that the maxed stats carry over, so don't forget to finish all the research on whatever you're planning to use.

The trouble with bringing over an end-game car is that early on you don't have the tech skill to get it built. Look at it this way: you're basically asking a pair of lube techs to assemble (and tune!) a McLaren for you; on the other hand, they're been screwing around with their own cars for years and taking classes at the local tech school (on your nickel) so they oughta be able to build up that custom WRX with all the go-fast extras for you pretty easily (ie a fully-researched Buggy). Aftermarket parts are available on the internet, and tuning's easy with a laptop and some internet advice. The McLaren? Upgraded parts are going to be in-house fabricated one-offs, and the tuning process will afterwards be collected in an eyes-only manuscript for internal distribution.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

rock2much posted:

I like Game Dev, Grand Prix and Mega Mall. I returned the school one almost instantly and neither me or the misses likes the World Cruise one.

A word of warning about Mega Mall, it tends to slow down to a crawl on some devices. It can get really bad during a Fever if your mall is huge.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Someone clone Disc Drivin' (iphone) to android, dammit.

You'll make a shitload of money.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

After I got a replacement phone Grand prix story closes on launch. I miss that game. The new phone runs everything fine, and I suspect it's some bullshit authentication issue.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
I have a G2, and I bought Delver today and wondered if you can use the physical qwerty keyboard. It turns out you can! Interrupt, please don't remove this feature from future versions of the game. I like the game, but being able to use the keyboard seals the deal for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Anyone who like Grand Prix Story on a phone needs to play it on a tablet, I think it translates the best to a large screen of all the Kairosoft games; I play it on a Nook and it's a whole lotta :3:

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
I loathed Pocket League Story's matches but enjoyed the rest of the game. Any chance I had to avoid an actual match, I took it. After a while, I realized I should just drop it and play a different title. If nothing else, I liked the charm and the decision-making aspects, which gave me confidence in the other Kairosoft games.

Game Dev Story was my next choice and had a blast, even though I made loads of stupid decisions in my first few years. Faith restored in the company, I tried Grand Prix Story and didn't like it very much. I'm willing to give it a second chance, whereas I'll never go back to PLS. After all, I should like it (in theory).

World Cruise Story was unimpressive; I felt the controls were worse than in the other releases.

Mega Mall Story has been fantastic, though I Watson is right: It totally chugs along once you make the final upgrade to your mall. I just quit and relaunch every five minutes or so, which seems more annoying when typed than in actuality.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

48 Hour Boner posted:

I have a G2, and I bought Delver today and wondered if you can use the physical qwerty keyboard. It turns out you can! Interrupt, please don't remove this feature from future versions of the game. I like the game, but being able to use the keyboard seals the deal for me.

I just bought Delver mostly because of this, but I'm having some problems. I can't seem to move around using my keyboard on my Transformer Prime.

The number keys work on selecting item slots. The arrow keys work in changing my direction and view. M works for Map. Q for throw E for Use. I can't find how to move though.

Ninja edit: This is stupid, I have to hold Ctrl+WASD to move.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010

SlayVus posted:

I just bought Delver mostly because of this, but I'm having some problems. I can't seem to move around using my keyboard on my Transformer Prime.

The number keys work on selecting item slots. The arrow keys work in changing my direction and view. M works for Map. Q for throw E for Use. I can't find how to move though.

Ninja edit: This is stupid, I have to hold Ctrl+WASD to move.

That is weird, I have no idea why you'd need to do that, especially if M, Q, and E all work. I'll look into it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How long til Option Menus? I really like the gameplay and it runs well, but I'd like resizable buttons since they're way too big on my 3.1" 320x480 screen and/or rebindable keys since my phone has a portrait oriented keyboard(which I love for everything but gaming). Even despite that, definitely worth the $4.

Today's Amazon free app is a port of a miniclip flash game, Fragger. It's not amazing like Gunman Clive, but it's a pretty decent Angry Birds clone that actually makes use of it's own mechanics of bouncing grenades and timing explosions. There are in app purchases, but they're all cheats, so if you wanna play without buying anything you can. I'd say it's worth it for free since it has ~350 levels and each one only takes a minute or two, making it a good time waster when you have a couple minutes to kill.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 17, 2012

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Any suggestions for some fun stunt-type gaming? I downloaded iStunt2 when it was free, and it's pretty fun. I'm thinking of something like the old ATV Offroad PS2 game that let you jump really high and make all kinds of flips and spins with exaggerated physics, or something like the old NES Excitebike, but with more flipping. 2D or 3D, either way.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why on earth hasn't team 17 ported worms to mobile phones yet? More than any other game, I would love to play worms with my friends on our smartphones.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Why on earth hasn't team 17 ported worms to mobile phones yet? More than any other game, I would love to play worms with my friends on our smartphones.

They have, and it's on sale on Amazon for $0.99. It's just published by EA.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How long til Option Menus? I really like the gameplay and it runs well, but I'd like resizable buttons since they're way too big on my 3.1" 320x480 screen and/or rebindable keys since my phone has a portrait oriented keyboard(which I love for everything but gaming). Even despite that, definitely worth the $4.

I've just got done integrating a UI system just for this purpose which was the bulk of the work towards getting an options screen in. I'm hoping to implement the most basic options (invert look, look sensitivity, HUD size) and have a new build out by this weekend.

bonus edit: I've also been looking for an artist to bring the texture quality up from my passable level to something easier on the eyes, here's a sneak peek of one possible set:

Interrupt fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 17, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Interrupt posted:

I've just got done integrating a UI system just for this purpose which was the bulk of the work towards getting an options screen in. I'm hoping to implement the most basic options (invert look, look sensitivity, HUD size) and have a new build out by this weekend.

Sweet deal, sounds good!

EDIT:VVV It's not bad. Runs well enough on even slow phones. Don't expect a full fledged Armageddon port though, it's just basic Worms. VVV

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They have, and it's on sale on Amazon for $0.99. It's just published by EA.

Whaaat?? That's awesome. I couldn't find it on the android store. Anyone know if the port is any good?

Edit: "not available in your country" :(

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 17, 2012

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Good god, you guys were not kidding about Dungeon Raid. I just went for a piss starting up the game for the first time... It is now two hours later. :psyduck:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Greyhawk posted:

Good god, you guys were not kidding about Dungeon Raid. I just went for a piss starting up the game for the first time... It is now two hours later. :psyduck:

You play phone games while pissing?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You play phone games while pissing?

You don't?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

You don't?

Not since I pissed on my phone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Marking territory.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's why I have a waterproof phone :smugdog:

After you get a 5-star village in Dungeon Village, is there anything left to do other than just send your adventurers on repeated quests?

Edit: Apart from "Obsessively reorganize the entire town so that everything looks pretty", I mean. I was already doing that.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 18, 2012

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Canuck-Errant posted:

After you get a 5-star village in Dungeon Village, is there anything left to do other than just send your adventurers on repeated quests?

Edit: Apart from "Obsessively reorganize the entire town so that everything looks pretty", I mean. I was already doing that.
Max out every class, get all of them the best equipment. I mean if you really want to get the most bang for your buck. :v:

Also I am now terrified of dropping my phone in the toilet. :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Mine goes in a basket on the sink until I'm fully seated. No sense inviting disaster.

Contra
Aug 31, 2003
L(
I'd like to recommend DoDonPachi Resurrection.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2tldF83NzkiXQ..

I *think* it's available on the U.S. and other western markets but if not, many apologies. Dodonpachi is a legendary Bullet-Hell shooter series, and DDP: R is the latest arcade game, ported to iOS and Android. It actually works extremely well with touch controls, and it's totally awesome. There is some kind of middleman server called G-Gee that you log into before playing the game, but I've tried it with airplane mode on, and I was able to jump straight into the game with no troubles. Check it out if shooters are your thing, you won't be disappointed.

*demo version here*
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...dGlja2V0Xzc4MSJ

P.S., Apparently on some phones, the full game doesn't work even though the demo works fine. I can't speak on that but I have a Galaxy Nexus and it works for me.

P.P.S, The game language seems to be set to whatever your system language is. Menus and everything are in english on my system.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nope not available in the US. Unless there's a different version that they have labeled for US, I tried searching for "DoDonPachi" and got no results however.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sit down you man.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Don't you tell him what to do on his own front porch. :nyd:

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Interrupt posted:

bonus edit: I've also been looking for an artist to bring the texture quality up from my passable level to something easier on the eyes, here's a sneak peek of one possible set:

I actually really like the way the game looks as-is, but I definitely wouldn't mind Minecraft-style texture packs.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I cannot believe I never found Birzzle before today. It is an insanely addicting puzzle game on a platform that has an overabundance of recycled and rehashed ideas for puzzle games (BEJEWELED...in SPACE!). I recommend it to anyone who wants something traditional but simultaneously different.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Sit down you man.

I was :o:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
...catching a golden shower?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I think I know what he's talking about and it's something you won't understand unless you're unfortunate enough to accidentally do it. If you're a lady you'll never understand.

It's one of the reasons I don't get books from the library anymore.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

pw pw pw posted:

Whaaat?? That's awesome. I couldn't find it on the android store. Anyone know if the port is any good?

Edit: "not available in your country" :(

I believe there are a few versions on the market for different regions.

Worms owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Canuck-Errant posted:

Wait, that's the reason? Does this happen often for you, or something?

• Locked thread